Moving To Orlando

We live in Tampa, but I can tell you Davenport is a really good area, as well as Kissimmee. There are many nice apartments in those areas. As long as you avoid the complexes near I-4 you'll be okay :)

I disagree. Davenport and Kissimmee are disaster areas.

What's wrong with them? I live in Orlando, and have never been to Davenport. Yet I am looking to move and went to check out apartments in Kissimmee today. The mall there is clearly not in good health, but my living within walking distance of a notoriously expensive mall between here and Universal Studios has not changed the fact that the police helicopters fly over all of the time because I live in a major drug zone. Nothing violent has happened to me or my husband since we moved here in 2011, but statistically we live in the most dangerous zip code in Orlando. This could be partly because we live about five-ten minutes' walk from Orange Blossom Trail in the opposite direction from the mall, which has some bad areas. Right after we moved here co-workers were talking about a police officer being shot. When another co-worker asked where this had happened, she said, very matter-of-factly, "Where else? Orange Blossom Trail". We are an older couple so we'd prefer to live somewhere less "exciting" shall we say?

We rented this place off of the Internet while knowing nearly nothing about Orlando because we were coming from across the country, and rents were averaging over $2,000 per month for one bedrooms in San Francisco so we could not tell by the lower rents in Florida what might be a sign of a trouble zone.

I want to return at night to any neighborhood that we are considering renting in during the day; and that would be my main advice for the OP and anyone else moving to Orlando, or anywhere else for that matter, if it is possible to get a look around before moving.

What don't you like about Davenport and Kissimmee? I am guessing that it is certain neighborhoods that you don't like?

To the young person looking for housing which would appeal to 20-somethings, the area around UCF already mentioned would be good. I have also seen some of the apartments in the publications for students advertise leases of less than a year so that would give you a chance to decide before making a longterm commitment to a specific address. Downtown Orlando seems popular with young people as well and was even mentioned in the USA Today a year so ago for its popularity with the young who want to be able to walk from home to entertainment etc. The Lake Eola and Thorton Park areas of downtown Orlando are pricey though while the area around Amway Center has tensions between those who resent the gentrification of the surrounding area and those living on the fringes of urban renewal.

What about Clermont? A realtor I spoke with last week described Clermont as a long city and said that there is a part of Clermont that is near Disney but is followed by a large bunch of orange groves before the city picks up again about 30 minutes later. Anyone have more information?

I have to defend my little area! I'm in Davenport and it is far from a disaster area. Now, some areas in Davenport may be not so great...but ours is nice. We live near Champion's Gate in a wonderful neighborhood. Kids play outside, our neighbors are awesome. I don't know that I would recommend our neighborhood to a 20 something single person because it is very family oriented, but we love it. That said, we would NEVER send our kids to the middle school we are zoned for, elementary maybe, high school, sure, but NOT the middle school.

I have some single friends that live near Sea World, some that live in Integra Meadows off 27 and some in Cagan Crossings. They all seem to like their respective places.

For the record I did not like the city-data forums. Everything was so negative. After I read them I was terrified to move. Some posters were helpful, but it quickly became clear to me that if you didn't live in Clermont, Winter Garden/Windermere, or Winder Park there would be nothing positive to say. From reading the forums I thought Davenport was just a desolate wasteland full of gangs, guns and drugs. Turns out that was not true.

Moving to Orlando to be closer to WDW -- I'm loving this idea!!! :-) Would too if I could but alas I'm rooted here by work. I hope everything works out for you both! (think I counted two movers?) I used to live in Tampa and now I'm kicking myself for not visiting the parks as often as I should have.

What about Clermont? A realtor I spoke with last week described Clermont as a long city and said that there is a part of Clermont that is near Disney but is followed by a large bunch of orange groves before the city picks up again about 30 minutes later. Anyone have more information?

The part of Clermont "near" Disney is Cagan Crossing, mentioned earlier. It has apartments, some housing developments, a Wal-Mart, and a fair number of chain restaurants. Nothing upscale, but the relatively cheap prices have made it sort of a bedroom community for Cast Members.

Here's the thing--if you don't work at WDW (still at least 15 - 20 minutes away without traffic) or the Wal-Mart, you're nowhere near your job. It really is the middle of nowhere.

Both are huge cities that can't really be stereotyped. The actual city of Davenport is hillbilly central, part there are parts of unincorporated Polk County near Champions Gate and by Haines City called "Davenport" that are quite nice--I live in one. Huge tourist rental home developments were built and still remain half-empty but there is no crime and a nice Publix blocks away.

Similarly, Kissimmee includes the scuzzy east end of 192, but it also includes Celebration and Reunion. There are parts of Kissimmee where one side of the street is nice (lower middle class but still livable), while the other side is a slum.

Florida isn't the north. The cities are too big and diverse to stereotype them.

@TattooedMermaid: Having lived in the tourist area 9 years now, I'd stress again, until you know where you're working, don't even worry about housing. If you're a young professional, odds are good you'll end up with a job downtown or over in Seminole County or maybe out by UCF, in which case most of the places I've seen suggested simply aren't feasible. The greater Disney area is very much a company town, if you don't work in tourism, there isn't much else--you say you don't want to work for the Mouse, so really little reason to want to live over here.

We moved/transfered here (Winter Haven) in April and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here. We are living in our RV in an RV park. No not for everyone but is working for us.
We can be onsite in just under 30 miles or 40 minutes. I know for some that is SSOOO far away but we lived in Maine.... nearest mall was 40 minutes away....
Cant tell you a lot about apartments and I may be flamed but Carlton Arms dont seem too bad...
As others have said, min wage is a shock to the system ;)
Good luck and :welcome:

We moved about 7 months ago to the Champion's Gate area (also part of Davenport) and we love it. My husband works at WDW and it is a very easy drive to the parks from our house. Like many others have said it is very important to know where you are working before looking for housing. When we were looking we decided that Clermont was just too far out for us and Kissimmee was either very expensive or very run down. The Davenport area we live in was perfect for us, but may not be for someone young and living alone. That being said there are a lot of rental homes in the area if you can find a roommate to help with costs. If you have any questions let me know. I spent a ton of time, not that long ago, searching and multiple trips to look at places to rent.

To everyone talking about finding work before an apartment- I'm a chef. I've done fine dining, to a school, to a chain/pizza place. Honestly, I can find work just about anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help!

The reason so many people have said that it is best to know where you will be working is because it can be a very far drive from one side of town with traffic and construction. I live in the Davenport area and we hardly ever go into Orlando, because it takes awhile to get there. So, knowing where you will most likely be working would help narrow down where you should look for housing so your drive is not awful every day.

To everyone talking about finding work before an apartment- I'm a chef. I've done fine dining, to a school, to a chain/pizza place. Honestly, I can find work just about anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help!

In that case, job market being what it is, odds are good you're going to end up at WDW/Lake Buena Vista, or along Sand Lake Road/I-Drive.

I'd look at the Sea World area, specifically Westwood Blvd. The Vinings is the nicest (and priciest), Monterey Lake is the cheapest, Broadwater falls somewhere in the middle. There are a few places down the street, as well, off I-Drive (the non-touristy part).

Convenient to the tourist locations--with access to back roads when I-4 gets jammed up--but still only 20 minutes from downtown Orlando, local demographic skews young (20s and 30s), very safe, and the nicest Publix I've ever been in. Money saved in gas and the quality of the area makes it worth the slightly higher lease rates.

Does anybody know how the area is for collections/ call centers? I know there are a few centers down there, but was wondering if anybody knows someone who works at one.

Disneys call centers are in Lake Bueuna Vista, Tampa and Celebration. Lakeland has Sykes. Do a Google search for Florida Call Centers and lots pop up. :)

OP...good luck and I hope you find something you'll like...work wise and home wise. :thumbsup2

Welcome to the Orlando area.
:teeth:

Disneys call centers are in Lake Bueuna Vista, Tampa and Celebration. Lakeland has Sykes. Do a Google search for Florida Call Centers and lots pop up. :)
What happened to the Disney reservation center on Carrier Drive? I interviewed there when I first moved here. Did that one close?

Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando

my wife and I often talk about making the move to florida...we just got married in our mid thirties and hate the north east winters!! I did the college program at disney in 2001 and loved every second of it...it is a place where going to work was exciting...but the pay down there scares me a little unless it changed since 2001. I work in the hospitality industry now and enjoy...but not as much as I enjoyed working for Disney!

There are a number of call centers out in Lake Mary outside Orlando.

A neighbor that I see only every once in a while works in a call center for a company called Convergys over in north Orlando, which was scheduled to open another call center over off of John Young, somewhere by that WalMart. I think that is part of MetroWest in Orlando.

my wife and I often talk about making the move to florida...we just got married in our mid thirties and hate the north east winters!! I did the college program at disney in 2001 and loved every second of it...it is a place where going to work was exciting...but the pay down there scares me a little unless it changed since 2001. I work in the hospitality industry now and enjoy...but not as much as I enjoyed working for Disney!

Oh, I understand. I am currently on medical leave from Disney while seeking medical accommodations in order to return to work. I talked to casting yesterday, and Health Services says that I qualify as disabled for a couple of different conditons now. I think that qualifies Disney for a couple of tax breaks under the Americans With Disabilities Act for returning me to payroll like I hope that they will do. I have been told repeatedly that as good as I am at marketing that I could make better money elsewhere, but I am an older woman who is beyond worrying about climbing any corporate ladders. I want a chance to create some happiness and simply make enough money to pay the rent for whatever time I have left.

Thanks for the info! I not looking to making millions...just a bit more more then minimum wage! we just want to live comfortable, simple lives with disney as a part of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter