Moving To Orlando

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by TattooedMermaid, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TattooedMermaid

TattooedMermaid Mouseketeer

First, mods I have NO idea if this is the right place for this so I apologize if it needs to be moved.

Now. I'm doing it- I'm moving to Orlando in March for WDW. I've done some looking and realize Kissimmee would be closer to the World but for work purposes and school, Orlando would be better for living. That being said, does anyone have any apartment complexes they would recommend? Any areas to avoid/ or are better for 20 somethings?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jagfanjosh3252

jagfanjosh3252 #1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I'm gonna tag along I. This thread. I will be moving down there by summer. Kinda want to know as well.

4. TattooedMermaid

No problem :) Hopefully we get some answers. Are you moving just for WDW or another reason?

5. jagfanjosh3252

Pretty much for WDW and IOA. Lol. I live in Jacksonville right now. So not to big if a move.

6. TattooedMermaid

Thats cool :) I'm used to moving, I grew up an Army brat. I won't know a single person in Orlando- the closest semi-friend is my aunt's best friend almost 2 hours away. But might as well go on an adventure I say.

7. jagfanjosh3252

Haha. I know a few people already. It's been kinda a dream for me to move there for te past year

8. Lifted07Duramax

Lifted07Duramax Earning My Ears

Dang I didnt know people actually moved to Orlando to be closer to WDW. I dont know if it would feel the same if I wasn't staying on one of the resorts the whole time.
    I'd live on a resort if I could

9. TattooedMermaid

I understand.

Honestly, I've lived in 8 different states. I'd love to go overseas but it's financially impossible. WDW is my happy place. To know after a bad day at work I can zip to MK for a ride or two, maybe a Mickey bar, I can't imagine anything better.

10. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

That sounds incredible!!:beach:

11. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

found this website very good
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/

someone of the disney recommended it last year

been trying myself.

my problem have a condo in birmingham to sell or rent first.

and condo's are not selling here now...

that say renting it would not be a problem - it is a nice section - but then would have to pay rent some place else - and i am a cheap...

you might also look for the yellow pages - lots of cheaper places don't post on the web.

12. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

remember it is the South - so minimum wage is standard.

also don't have any friends or relatives - brother is in St Augustine - cousin is north of Tampa

that say sometimes different is what is needed

13. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

Third generation native Floridian here, been living within 30 miles of Orlando since the age of 3 (except for college).
    For 20 somethings, I would recommend moving near one of the colleges:
    UCF - 3rd largest university in the country in terms of undergrad enrollment. East of downtown Orlando about 20 miles from WDW.
    VCC - The main campus is about 3 miles from entrance to US/IoA.
    Rollins College - In Winter Park, about 20 miles from WDW.
    SCC - In Sanford, about 30 miles from WDW.
    Stetson University - In Deland, about 40 miles from WDW. Located between Orlando and Daytona Beach in case the beach is important to you.
    DBC - In Daytona, about 60 miles from WDW.
    LCC - In Leesburg, about 60 miles from WDW.
    Lots of apartments available in these areas and others your age to meet.

14. lovemickeyshouse

lovemickeyshouse DISNEY LOVER

Keep us posted I plan on moving down there in the next 3 years.

15. TattooedMermaid

Thanks!! :)

16. TattooedMermaid

I will for sure!

17. FLDisneyCouple

FLDisneyCouple Earning My Ears

We live in Tampa, but I can tell you Davenport is a really good area, as well as Kissimmee. There are many nice apartments in those areas. As long as you avoid the complexes near I-4 you'll be okay :)

18. Jason71

Jason71 Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Until you know where you'll be living/going to school, kind of pointless to start looking at different areas. The greater Orlando area is huge, and while there are good places for 20-somethings all over it, the last thing you want is an hour plus commute.

19. TattooedMermaid

Update so far:

Booked a short weekend trip at the end of February to look at( and hopefully hold) apartments. Then two short weeks later, I'll be heading out with my Budget truck full o' stuff to my new home. Hoping to start moving in March 8th/9th.

I'll keep anyone following updated once I find where I'm living. :)

20. belle032

belle032 Mouseketeer

Like another poster said, Davenport is a good area as are Dr. Phillips and Hunter's Creek. The last 2 are more expensive areas however. Cagan Crossings is a nice apartment complex in Davenport and a lot of CM's live there. Prices are reasonable for the area. Be warned the closer you get to WDW, the more expensive apartments are. Something a little more expensive but very nice is Abaco Key. I lived there for a few months.

Also, be warned that a Disney wage is hard to live on, especially if you're living alone. (This is coming from a former CM!) 1-bedrooms can be $600+ and I think every single 1 of my friends had roommates to help w/costs, even if they owned their own house. It's definitely a job you have because you love it, not for the money. I loved Disney and still do but maybe if they had paid a little better, I'd still be there!

Don't mean to be too negative, just being realistic! Good luck! :goodvibes

21. TattooedMermaid

Thanks! Trust me, I did WDW CP, I KNOW they pay very poorly. I'd never work for Disney for that reason alone. Even those higher up in my current field complained about the money.

I'll look into those other areas. :)