• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Move your motor home!!!!

I fly a pirate flag off my front porch. You people would simply love having me in your neighborhoods.

I can't imagine ever wanting to buy a home in a neighborhood where people thought that it was okay to tell me what I couldn't or could have on my own property. :confused3

I could never tolerate living in a housing development where there are pages and pages of rules. I love living in the country, with the wide open spaces, and nobody worries about what anyone else is doing with their yards. We pay property taxes just like everyone else, and nobody is going to tell me when to mow my lawn, or when to put my snow shovel away.

Well yes, what your neighbors do can affect the sale of your house. But if I'm looking at buying a home, a large RV, as long as it looks like it's in good condition (even though I do think they're all ugly) sitting in the neighbors driveway will not deter me. Things like you described would keep me from buying the place. Trash in the yard and certain dogs in the yard would also deter me. But any RV is fine with me.

Precisely. I would never live in a restricted neighborhood. I bought the house. It's my property to do with as I see fit within reason.

I fly a pirate flag off my front porch. You people would simply love having me in your neighborhoods.

I can't imagine ever wanting to buy a home in a neighborhood where people thought that it was okay to tell me what I couldn't or could have on my own property. :confused3

The problem is that these people DID buy into a neighborhood with rules and they SIGNED the agreement that they would obey the rules. So because they decided to break the rules, the rest of us are supposed to deal with it? Most people moved into the neighborhood BECAUSE of the rules and they expect that people follow them.

I get that you guys would not tolerate living in this type of community, but you also would most likely not sign the paper either stating that you will follow the rules. You would just not buy there. But to buy there knowing that this is what is expected of you and to then turn around and ignore them is absolutely rude, IMO.

Kristine

I am glad we too don't live in a deed restricted community....some around here stipulate what time your garbage can be at the curb and when it can be picked up. Not for me, but then I am probably an offender as well.....you can see our pool and patio from both sides of the yard an no, it isn't always looking magazine ready!

We have a home in our neighborhood that has an above ground pool...IN THE SIDE YARD *gasp*

You can see it when you walk by their front lawn! *gasp again*

However would some people handle that?? :rolleyes1

Personally, I envy the happy kids I see playing in it when I walk my dog past it. Their yard is gorgeous and on hot sticky days, I'd love to jump on in!

I am glad we too don't live in a deed restricted community....some around here stipulate what time your garbage can be at the curb and when it can be picked up. Not for me, but then I am probably an offender as well.....you can see our pool and patio from both sides of the yard an no, it isn't always looking magazine ready!

that would by my neighborhood. It has gotten MUCH worse since we moved in. You have 24 hours total in which your garbage can may be out by the road. You are not allowed to chage the outside of your home in any permanent way unless you get approval--this includes planting a tree or a bush! (Seriously the people next door got in trouble for this--fined! It was a maple in their backyard.) The guy down the street got a citation because his boat was in his driveway for more than 72 hours. You cannot even have a CAR in the same place on your driveway for more than 72 hours. The neighbors who got fined for the tree have two teen agers. Four cars and a three car garage. When they went on vacation they parked a car at their church because they didn't want to get fined again! :rotfl: It is really stupid. I wish I lived somewhere with no neighbors.

The problem is that these people DID buy into a neighborhood with rules and they SIGNED the agreement that they would obey the rules. So because they decided to break the rules, the rest of us are supposed to deal with it? Most people moved into the neighborhood BECAUSE of the rules and they expect that people follow them.

I get that you guys would not tolerate living in this type of community, but you also would most likely not sign the paper either stating that you will follow the rules. You would just not buy there. But to buy there knowing that this is what is expected of you and to then turn around and ignore them is absolutely rude, IMO.

Kristine

You are right, I wouldn't tolerate living in that type of community, and I wouldn't sign the paper stating I would follow the rules so I wouldn't buy a home there. But thinking more about what you just said, your neighbors DID sign the paper stating they would adhere to the rules so I do think you have a valid complaint, if those types of things (snow shovel, tree, motorhome) etc. bother you. I'm kind of surprised there is no president of the community, or someone to go to with grievances. You mentioned the developer was the one who made up the rules, have you gone to him yet about the situation?

Just wondering. If there is no hoa how do you know they signed off on the rules?

You are right, I wouldn't tolerate living in that type of community, and I wouldn't sign the paper stating I would follow the rules so I wouldn't buy a home there. But thinking more about what you just said, your neighbors DID sign the paper stating they would adhere to the rules so I do think you have a valid complaint, if those types of things (snow shovel, tree, motorhome) etc. bother you. I'm kind of surprised there is no president of the community, or someone to go to with grievances. You mentioned the developer was the one who made up the rules, have you gone to him yet about the situation?

I have to agree. I guess it's not about how I would live or if I would be in a neighborhood like that...it's the fact that her neighbor did sign the paper and isn't living by it.

This hillbilly believes you should go talk to your neighbor, they might be very understanding. Because if you don't have a president or anyone to enforce the rules....I think you're out of luck.

I agree however, that although I'd never choose to live in a neighborhood that told me what to do on my own property, that if they signed a paper saying no visiting motorhomes allowed in the driveway, then it needs to be removed.

I know our area had Builder Covenants years ago, but they expired after a certain number of years or a certain % of the properties were sold.

A couple of years ago some guy tried to get a HOA started, but everybody ignored him.

Personally, a bunch of deed restrictions would be far more likely to make me not buy a house than a Motor Home parked in a driveway.

I know our area had Builder Covenants years ago, but they expired after a certain number of years or a certain % of the properties were sold.

A couple of years ago some guy tried to get a HOA started, but everybody ignored him.

Personally, a bunch of deed restrictions would be far more likely to make me not buy a house than a Motor Home parked in a driveway.

This happens frequently. The developer sets up covenants, but once they're finished building the covenants are pretty much null and void. Starting an HOA becomes a logistical nightmare, because in reality, noone wants someone telling them what they can and cannot do on their property.

OP, check your deed to see what kind of covenant or restriction was placed on the property and then move to a home on 20 acres. Seriously, I don't see you ever being happy living in a real neighborhood.

OP, I feel for you. I absolutely think that the trailer/RV whatever could impact a sale, particularly if someone is torn between two homes it could be the tie-breaker.

We lived in a covenent-restricted neighborhood for about a year and didn't like the whole cookie-cutter feel to it, but people's houses always looked pristine!

that would by my neighborhood. It has gotten MUCH worse since we moved in. You have 24 hours total in which your garbage can may be out by the road. You are not allowed to chage the outside of your home in any permanent way unless you get approval--this includes planting a tree or a bush! (Seriously the people next door got in trouble for this--fined! It was a maple in their backyard.) The guy down the street got a citation because his boat was in his driveway for more than 72 hours. You cannot even have a CAR in the same place on your driveway for more than 72 hours. The neighbors who got fined for the tree have two teen agers. Four cars and a three car garage. When they went on vacation they parked a car at their church because they didn't want to get fined again! :rotfl: It is really stupid. I wish I lived somewhere with no neighbors.

Jeez, when I lived in military housing I thought we had a lot of rules but even that was no where near that restrictive! Yikes--no way I could live somewhere like that.

This happens frequently. The developer sets up covenants, but once they're finished building the covenants are pretty much null and void.

OP, check your deed to see what kind of covenant or restriction was placed on the propery.

I agree. A lot of times, developers place the covenant restrictions so that THEY can sell plots and homes while building is underway. Most of the time, though, once the construction is finished and all or most of the homes are sold, the developer couldn't care less about whether the rules are being enforced. So unless your city/town has an ordinance, or you have an active HOA, I'm of the opinion that there's not much you can do. You can call the developer, but I don't think they're going to care one way or another. They have very little interest vested in the situation at this point. They've already sold all of the property. (I don't recall reading, but I'm going with the assumption that the property has now all been sold, and that there is no new construction going into the subdivision.)

-Christal

OP, check your deed to see what kind of covenant or restriction was placed on the property and then move to a home on 20 acres. Seriously, I don't see you ever being happy living in a real neighborhood.

I don't really think that is fair at all to say about me. I have lived in "real" neighborhoods for a long time.

Kristine

We didn;t have to sign anything but our neighbors must hate us.

Jeez, when I lived in military housing I thought we had a lot of rules but even that was no where near that restrictive! Yikes--no way I could live somewhere like that.

Yeah, as I said, the rules have gotten worse as time has gone on. I suppose in order to change anything I would have to run for the board of the HOA and I really don't want to. So, we just plan to move in a few years--hopefully to acreage! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I feel the same way. One of the reasons we bought in our neighborhood is the fact that there are no covenants. We are free to park our 30ft RV on our driveway year-round--and we do:cool2: Several other neighbors have RVs or boats, too. Everyone keeps their place neat & clean.

I have a friend who was cited by her HOA because her 5yo left a bike on the front lawn overnight. :sad2: Sorry, but I'd have to sell that great big ol' McMansion and get me a house where my kids can build forts, wash doll clothes, play in the creek, draw with chalk on the driveway and set up a lemonade stand, if they want to. That would be my neighborhood.:woohoo:

I don't really think that is fair at all to say about me. I have lived in "real" neighborhoods for a long time.

Kristine

You may have lived in a "real" neighborhood for a long time, but you're obviously not really happy there.

Based on the fact that the motor home isn't your only issue w/ your neighbors, I think it's more than fair. And it goes further than the shovel and tree in their yard. You're not happy that they also have 3 cars in the driveway. I live in a neighborhood where the homes start at just under $500K...almost everyone uses their garage as a storage area (and every home has a basement...ours has never had water) and have 2 or more cars and a boat, in their driveway all year long. It's their property, their right to use the garage as storage and the park the cars in the driveway if they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter