Mousekeeping tips

Tipping isn't 'required' for Mousekeeping. :goodvibes

With that said, I personally tip $5/day for DD and myself. We like doing it and DD loves decorating the Mousekeeping envelopes. Sometimes the Mousekeepers will leave us thank you note and sometimes, extra toiletries! :thumbsup2

We always leave 5 dollars a day, too. I don't know about a connection between that and towel animals, but they always pose my kids toys in cute scenes. (I always leave some toys on a table for them to use..LOL)

Can't wait!!

Melissa:wizard:

For my DH and I we always tip $5 per day, every day. No we don't have to, but i have found that wonderful housekeeping can add magic to the trip, and bad housekeeping can definitely put a damper on it. yes i know we could complain if something isn't up to par, but I certainly don't want to spend my vacation time doing so. We hope that it sends the message that we appreciate the job they do, and have never been disappointed.

Also, when we stay club level we tip the turndown staff a few dollars per day (our most recent trip we ended up tipping our one Turndown lady $50 total by the end of the week because her service, extras, time spent talking to us when we were in the room still, extra chocolates, towel animals, recognition of our anniversary etc just BLEW US AWAY, she was wonderful).

We have always tipped $3 a day for the two of us. My DBF makes sure nothing is left out so there is not much to be done. We just got home from CR. We didn't get into the room until 4:30 pm. I got a shower before going to bed and realized the tub looked way dirtier than it should have from one shower which had me totally grossed out. The coffee area needed to be wiped down and there was a half empty bottle of water in the bedside cabinet from a previous guest.

We left a tip the first day. The bathroom sink area wasn't wiped down. Towels were replaced, the tub was cleaned (thank God) and bed was made. Coffee was not replaced and neither were toiletries. Toilet paper was put on the holder with the paper wrapper left on.

We did not leave a tip after that first day. Coffee was never replaced through the trip after the first day in spite of leaving a note asking for it. I left a used lotion and shower gel in the sink so she would see they were half empty. They were not replaced until I left a note the following day. Nothing was replenished again throughout the trip.

We had placed about 6 extra pillows on the sofa one night. 4 were still there after the room was done. Two were the long bolsters. They were just left there haphazardly.

We left the hotel with no intention of ever staying again and I would say 90% was due to the housekeeping. This was my 12th time staying onsite and my 1st time having a problem with housekeeping. Considering it was the most we have paid for a room (we were in a Magic Kingdom View Tower Room) it was really disappointing.

Sorry to go on for so long. I just got home last night so it's a little fresh in my mind still.

I think there are some "generally accepted" people to tip... pizza delivery person, valet parker, restaurant waitperson, bartender, and I would say housekeeping. I have seen a lot of other "tips please" bowls out everywhere - ice cream shop, bagel store, even some fast food places. I think that the proliferation of many other people in the "non-traditional" jobs asking for tips, makes people more sensitive to tipping in general... sorta feeling "where am I going to get hit up next..."

I think, like with the waitstaff at a restaurant, the level of service provided should be rewarded. For example, if I am there with my three kids and, when they were younger, they were a bit more needy/messy, then the person got more of a tip than usual. Five of us are going to mess up a room more than one person - I plan on leaving $5/day.

I think there are some "generally accepted" people to tip... pizza delivery person, valet parker, restaurant waitperson, bartender, and I would say housekeeping. I have seen a lot of other "tips please" bowls out everywhere - ice cream shop, bagel store, even some fast food places. I think that the proliferation of many other people in the "non-traditional" jobs asking for tips, makes people more sensitive to tipping in general... sorta feeling "where am I going to get hit up next..."

I think, like with the waitstaff at a restaurant, the level of service provided should be rewarded. For example, if I am there with my three kids and, when they were younger, they were a bit more needy/messy, then the person got more of a tip than usual. Five of us are going to mess up a room more than one person - I plan on leaving $5/day.

This is an excellent post! We just got back from a 1BR Villa at the WL and there were 3 adults. Problem is I actually had to do soem stuff for work while there. I left a little note on the table about not worrying about my papers. Not only did they clean around my work mess, one day they organized my pens by color. Since they had to put up with my extra mess and their extra effort they got a bigger than usual tip (and a letter to Disney)

We have always tipped $3 a day for the two of us. My DBF makes sure nothing is left out so there is not much to be done. We just got home from CR. We didn't get into the room until 4:30 pm. I got a shower before going to bed and realized the tub looked way dirtier than it should have from one shower which had me totally grossed out. The coffee area needed to be wiped down and there was a half empty bottle of water in the bedside cabinet from a previous guest.

We left a tip the first day. The bathroom sink area wasn't wiped down. Towels were replaced, the tub was cleaned (thank God) and bed was made. Coffee was not replaced and neither were toiletries. Toilet paper was put on the holder with the paper wrapper left on.

We did not leave a tip after that first day. Coffee was never replaced through the trip after the first day in spite of leaving a note asking for it. I left a used lotion and shower gel in the sink so she would see they were half empty. They were not replaced until I left a note the following day. Nothing was replenished again throughout the trip.

We had placed about 6 extra pillows on the sofa one night. 4 were still there after the room was done. Two were the long bolsters. They were just left there haphazardly.

We left the hotel with no intention of ever staying again and I would say 90% was due to the housekeeping. This was my 12th time staying onsite and my 1st time having a problem with housekeeping. Considering it was the most we have paid for a room (we were in a Magic Kingdom View Tower Room) it was really disappointing.

Sorry to go on for so long. I just got home last night so it's a little fresh in my mind still.

What's interesting is that you probably had different mousekeepers each day, and none of them were very good. In this case, I wouldn't have kept leaving a tip, either. Also, I would have let the front desk know, and perhaps I'd even send a letter to Disney afterwards with details about why I'm hesitant to ever stay on-property again.

I understand that, but I think the point I was trying to make is my hubby is in a job where tipping is not all that common, yet well appreciated when it does happen and helps pay for the extras on occation and once in awhile the essentials.

Just a nice gesture. I also do not consider $8 an hour as high pay, so am certain a little extra is a nice thing to receive.

No tipping Mousekeeping is NOT mandatory, just a nice thing to do and for those who do not, well that is your right and I am not saying you are a bad person. I just happen to feel I am spreading a little of the magic, just to an employee that's all.

I absolutely do not think badly of those who do not tip, I did not tip on my first trip to WDW, but changed my ways.

What's interesting is that you probably had different mousekeepers each day, and none of them were very good. In this case, I wouldn't have kept leaving a tip, either. Also, I would have let the front desk know, and perhaps I'd even send a letter to Disney afterwards with details about why I'm hesitant to ever stay on-property again.

I thought I remembered getting surveys in the past so I planned to leave comments on that if I get one. If not, I will end up writing a letter later in the week. My DBF is not comfortable when i start complaining. I don't always let that stop me :rotfl: but I get nervous complaining about housekeeping and in restaurants. I don't want to worry about what is being done to my things when I can't see! :scared1:

It did make us notice more problems too which was driving me crazy. There was a childs handprint on the mirror behind the sofa the 5 nights we were there (without a child). I don't want to be on the lookout for dirty things in a hotel room.

We did see at least two different housekeepers. One day we went back around 2 pm and the room still had not been done. About 30 minutes later she was knocking on the door. We went and sat in the lounge so the room could be finished. Oddly enough, she was going back and forth between our room and the room next to us (last two rooms on the floor) :confused3 but within 20 minutes she was done with both and the cart went back down the hall. Didn't really seem like long enough to do two rooms.

I believe housekeeping should ALWAYS be tipped!!
For the people that don't tip, well... you should really think
about it...do you tip your waiters/waitress for dinner?
It is a real DISGRACE if you don't leave a tip, for God sake
your in Disney World be happy that someone is cleaning up
after you....AND appreciate a hard working person earning a
living!!!!!:lmao:
Stop being so cheap...non-tippers, I hear you squeak when u
walk by !!!!:rotfl2:

we normally tip $1 per person but never less than $5....and yep I even make the cutsey little envelopes maybe they brighten their day a little maybe not, but I have fun making them and I appreciate someone cleaning up after me for a change!

I have never tipped at any hotel.

Fact: I knew a "housekeeper" down here at a very high end hotel, she made $30k/yr in cash tips.. unreal

I always just assumed that everyone tipped housekeeping in all hotels. We are 5 people and we usually do $5 a day in Disney or anywhere else. It's a tough job and I appreciate a well cleaned room.

I will tip about 5.00 per day for our small family of 3. This is a yucky job for low pay so I believe the staff deserve tips.

My family owns a cleaning service for the past 20+ yrs.

Now I have never been a hotel maid, but I think the PP who said $1 per person per day is a good method. those that are giving 5&10 $ a day, Im sure you are making those workers VERY happy that is a Very nice tip:thumbsup2 I do the 1$ per person a day tip, in really cute envelopes and we always manage to strike up a conversation with the cleaning staff and tell them we know how it is to do that kind of work,I have always loved chatting with the housekeeping staff at Disney, always friendly,:thumbsup2 nice people

The only difference is ride operators or the store clerks, hotel desk workers etc. don;t have everyday access to my personal goods...

I tip them, 5 or 10 bucks a day.

so you are tipping them for not stealing or altering your personal belongings?? does anyone else see the irony in this?? not messing with your stuff is required/expected not above and beyond the call. I do not expect any waitstaff to mess with my stuff and have never had anything disappear from a hotel room. Now, I do utilize safes for our higher value items. if they took something, they would loose their job most likely. This is not going to happen except in the rarest of circumstances.

I have never tipped housekeeping anywhere. Now, it's not that I'm a tipper. I tip my hairdresser, the valet, the guy who moves our bags, every single waitress/waiter I've ever encountered, and all services on a cruise line. I'm sure I'm leaving out someone. I do tip housekeeping on cruises and I usually give them above the expected because they do not earn minimum wage and rely on tips for their income. Plus, they clean the room like 3 times a day. also, my philosophy on tipping is if it is a tipped position (customarily tipped), I give the minimum always despite level of service. If they are awesome, I give above that. I just never associated housekeeping with a tipped position and have never known anybody that tipped housekeeping either.

Here's my tipping question...

Which person gets tipped...the person who unloads your baggage from your car and puts it on the cart or the person who delivers the cart to your room and unloads it...or both people? :confused3

Same goes for the reverse, when you are checking out.

We tip $1 a bag, but that can really add up when you have a lot of bags and they keep switching out people on you. :eek:

Here's my tipping question...

Which person gets tipped...the person who unloads your baggage from your car and puts it on the cart or the person who delivers the cart to your room and unloads it...or both people? :confused3

Same goes for the reverse, when you are checking out.

We tip $1 a bag, but that can really add up when you have a lot of bags and they keep switching out people on you. :eek:

I usually tip both. usually the person who unloads baggage is helping welcome you to the resort and also aiding with valet service. I tip this person as well as the valet.

If i choose to have someone deliver my bags to the room (as i will this time), then i tip that person too. I don't usually do a set rate of a dollar per bag. usually i give a five to each guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter