• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mousekeeping tips?

DH and I are very clean people by nature. We left $2 per day ($1 per person) in pre-made decorated envelopes. We also had premade decorated envelopes for the baggage people (for DME and when we were leaving after check out) with $2 in them as well. It made it reallly really easy so I didn't have to dig around for my wallet, and then in my wallet....

:banana:

The following day we left 2.00 (that was all the singles we had on us) and my sweet son, said mom I wanna leave the mousekeeper 2.00 also cuz she made us all those animals. I was so proud of him!!!!

That $2.00 given as a "thanks" for the towel animals could have went to an entirely different housekeeper for all you know since there are no guarantees that the same one will come everyday...in fact they probably won't because everyone gets at least a day off every week.

We left 4.00 the first day and the mousekeeper left us 4 really adorable towel animals. The kids got such a kick out of them.
The following day we left 2.00 (that was all the singles we had on us) and my sweet son, said mom I wanna leave the mousekeeper 2.00 also cuz she made us all those animals. I was so proud of him!!!!

I had made envelopes last year for our trip and totally forgot to make them this year. And I really missed them. So I would also suggest making the evelopes or at least bringing some plain white ones.

I think that is very sweet and thoughtful of your son! I have my envelopes all made now, and am so proud of them! lol I decorated them with Disney stickers and made them all pretty. What is a place I should put them so that they will know without a doubt that it is for them. Most of them say Thank You on them and a few say tip for mousekeeper...I just don't want the mousekeeper to miss them! :scared1:

They should have envelop in the room or ask front desk, write "mousekeeper", leave on pillow.

We leave a dollar per person, per night. And we leave it on the pillow each morning.

Just as at any other hotel we stay in, we leave $3 - $5 per night for the three of us, and we leave it each day as the person cleaning the room may change. My husband is in charge of this so it can depend upon what cash is in his pocket. $3/night for 7 nights is only $21 dollars, so it is a tiny blip in the budget of the average WDW vacation, even one where you stay at a value resort like we do (Music).

Zero point zero, they are paid by disney and non tip employees. You think they are gonna clean your room better cause you tip. If my room is not clean then they may need to look for a new profession or get some updated training on how to do it properly. Hate to sound harsh but that's the way it is.

They should have envelop in the room or ask front desk, write "mousekeeper", leave on pillow.

They will not as it is not considered a tipped position at WDW. If you are referring to the hotel stationary--I believe that is only available at deluxes. I've never had any at any other level (value, mods or DVC)

I was watching a show and there was woman who used to mousekeep and she said "If you leave ANY money in the room (nightstand, table, sink, bed etc.) they see it as a tip and keep it!!:scared1: So if you empty your pockets the night before and forget it in the morning it will be gone when you get back!!

I was watching a show and there was woman who used to mousekeep and she said "If you leave ANY money in the room (nightstand, table, sink, bed etc.) they see it as a tip and keep it!!:scared1: So if you empty your pockets the night before and forget it in the morning it will be gone when you get back!!

I heard the exact opposite on one of the threads here. A few disers left an unmarked tip on a table, counter, etc., and mousekeeping left it there. When they asked about why they left it, they were told that they {mousekeeping} couldn't take anything unless it was marked specifically for them.

We left a $2 each night we were there. Our Mousekeeping lady was wonderful. On the third day I was dropping off our mugs and she thank me for the tip and said that she hadn't gotten one the whole week, the asked me if I need anything else. I told her no and your welcome.

When I got back to my room later that night, we tons of towels and we had new towel animal. Which made me happy. Because I heard about them and really wanted one.

We have typically left $5/day in marked envelopes and we always get towel animals. I've never had to call for extra towels, they leave plenty. I also have never had a problem with the cleanliness of the room. Something I can't say about other hotels.
One time we were staying at Carribean Beach and came back from the parks at night. The mousekeeping had opened our shades a little, lined up our DS's little Disney racers in the window and had taken our DS's own stuffed animals and lined them up on the bed watching tv. Tigger had our DS's sunglasses on, Pluto had his paw on the remote and the tv was on! They were all watching Disney cartoons! It was so funny. It was one of the highlights of that trip. Our DS still talks about it and it was 4 years ago!

What about if you stay using DVC? They don't come daily, right? How do you tip then? Or do you not tip because of it being a non-tipped position?

I don't tip for housekeeping....as a matter if fact, most people don't. Me and my sister both did housekeeping at hotels when we were teenagers. The whole 2 months I did it (at a mid-priced bed and breakfast) I got a tip once. My sister worked a couple of summers doing it at an upscale 5 star resort, cleaning the upper-end rooms, she said she got on average 1 tip per week, but normally the room would be left pretty messy in those cases she did get a tip. I just do my best to clean up the room in the mornings (throw trash away, put towels in one spot) before we leave to make the job easier on the housekeeper.
I will also add, mousekeeping does not do or not do certain things based on whether or not tips are left. They treat all guests equally and handle the rooms equally, regardless of tips being left.

While we are very tidy and I actually have the kids do a quick room check before leaving for the parks.....all stuffed animals on one bed, our own pillows stacked out of the way, kitchen clean, etc......we always ti[p $5/DAY. It is all part of the fun at WDW, sharing and making someone esle feel appreciated for all their hard word.

If tipping that much dialy is going to ruin anyone's budget that bad, than they might should rethink their vacation.

What about if you stay using DVC? They don't come daily, right? How do you tip then? Or do you not tip because of it being a non-tipped position?

I tip even at DVC. I just tip when they come or at the end of my stay.....the same amount as I would at a regular resort; $1. per person, per day.

Hasn't the OP's questiion been anwered at nauseum? :confused3

She asked how much people tip, many answered and she then came back and said thank you. Why does the debate still carry on and on and on? There's no wrong or right answer. This is a 'to each their own' kind of question.

We tip $5 a day for the 5 of us. My DD is making the envelopes this year and it is part of the fun for her. :goodvibes

That wasn't the case in our room at POFQ. We left $5 a day on the tv under the card that said who our mousekeeper was. The first day I left a note telling her what we like, and she wrote back a thank you note and left plenty of supplies. We left pocket change and a stray $1 bill or two in a little tray on the dresser, and she never touched that. We had towel animals all week, and our room was immaculate. Then on Friday, she left a note saying she would be off for the weekend. I don't know who the weekend help was, but :scared1: what a difference. After enjoying the parks all day, I got to clean the room myself before we went to bed. I had left the tip the first night for the weekend mousekeeper, but she didn't take it, maybe because it was not so clear that it was for her. We didn't tip for the rest of the weekend since we had to clean our own room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter