Mousekeeping.....Is it just me?

DVCTigger

DIS Veteran
Or does anyone else really like the fact that mousekeeping doesn't come daily? When we are welcomed "home", I love the fact that our room is ours for the time we are there. And we don't have to worry about anyone else coming into our room every day. But I am one of those people that leaves the privacy tag on hotel doors so that housekeeping doesn't come into the room. Also my DH does a lot of "working vacations", where he is on his computer in the room during the day. So not being interrupted is a good thing. Just wondering if anyone else prefers the privacy? :confused3

I am definitely the same - I prefer privacy and don't need daily cleaning, especially since my stays are generally short at 3-5 nights.

I prefer privacy too. I get anxious at hotels where I know a stranger is going into my room every day and really dislike coming back to the room to rest only to find they're in there.

Give me a properly working vacuum, paper towels, some windex, and access to a washer/drier and I'm fine.

Am I the only one who will proactively clean up the room before the housekeeper arrives?

We stay at BLT and I always pay extra to have them clean every day. I'm on vacation... I'm not making the bed. LOL. And I love clean towels. Plus I take home the extra paper plates and bowls I get every day to have a little Disney in my everyday life.
Nancy princess:

I personally would prefer daily housekeeping. We usually order one or two extra cleaning days when we go (usual trip is 9 or 10 nights and we get one full cleaning free and then usually request one or two more while there).

We like not having housekeeping come to our room every day. Making beds isn't big deal to me, I don't mind washing our towels, and we don't have much of a mess since it usually is only DH and me. Anyone who needs/wants daily housekeeping can pay extra for it, but I can keep our villa clean enough by spending only a few minutes each day. We also enjoy the privacy of not having housekeeping knock on our door every morning.

It's funny, this was a negative for me when buying DVC. But now it's one of my favorite features.

I do have to admit it would be nice to have them come clean the kitchen and dining area after my kids destroy it, but in general I like not having some stranger in the room every day.

And the way Disney has set it up allows those that want the service to purchase it, while saving money in MF for those of us that don't. To me there are way better ways to use revenue from MF (more frequent room renovations, anyone?) than paying the labor costs to have a daily housekeeper.

This is one of the things almost every owner thinks will be weird when limited housekeeping is mentioned during the sales presentation...but it is also one of the things almost every over really loves, once they experience it! :)

I also prefer they don't do daily cleaning. When I stay in a 1 bedroom, I don't even get any cleaning done. We don't really make too much of a mess. We don't accumulate too much garbage (if we do, we just throw it out ourselves), I wash the towels in the laundry and we bring our own toiletries so no need to replenish. We also don't use the coffee maker in the room and any dishes can be put in the dishwasher to be washed.

If we stay at a studio, I just ask to exchange the towels. Sometimes, they drop a basket of linens in front of our door and I just take fresh towels and put the dirty towels in one of the bags. Once we were leaving and our mousekeeper was walking over and she asked if we needed anything else since she saw we only traded out the towels. When I said, we're fine, she smiled and said thank you and have a good day.

I think if there is people like us who don't need it or want the service, they will have more time for those who need and want it. Hopefully, it means less workload for them. But just to be clear, we leave the room in a very clean state. When we check out, the towels are in a pile, any garbage and recycling are in their respective containers. We try to keep it neat while were staying there so there isn't much to tidy when we leave. I will admit that the only messy things are the maps and paper things that we accumulate. We run the dishwasher if there's any dirty dishes and we don't use the oven or stove. The only thing we use is the refrigerator. And I toss everything that's in there and if there are things unopened, I just leave it at the counter in case they want it.

So, yes, I prefer no mousekeeping during our stay. And in most cases, in other hotels, I put the do not disturb sign on our door so housekeeping doesn't come in. I just call and ask to change towels once in a while.

I love not having it.

To me, as a DVC member, it feels more like "home" when I am the one tossing in a load of laundry at night, or doing the dishes.

I feel like it is "my place" in the World and not a guest. It's like owning a condo on Mickey's property.

I like that they don't come daily, I just wish that they would come when they are suppose to.

:earsboy: Bill

I like that they don't come daily, I just wish that they would come when they are suppose to.

:earsboy: Bill

Same here! We are at OKW now (last day of our 7day stay) and did not have any mouse keeping. No big deal though. I eased towels and cleaned up things. It is just like home!

This was a big plus for us as well bc unless we were staying CL, we always left our do not disturb sign up anyways so they didnt come in.

I make my bed every morning at home, so making the bed at DVC is no big deal. I like having the villa to just us. But when you link reservations made with different contracts, it's a real puzzle about when we are really going to get that one full cleaning.

OP ...... It's not odd at all. We also prefer not having daily housekeeping. I have taken to keeping my "Do not disturb" sign on the door though, as the staff at Jambo just can't get their act together with DVC rooms. Two trips ago at Jambo we were getting daily maid service (complete with bedding changes). The final straw was when I came back from the gym to take a nice shower in my room to find the place in total disarray and the maid in their. I had to wait in a rocker in the hallway for 1/2 hour for her to finish (i didn't want to inflict myself on the locals). I would have preferred finishing the task myself, but communication was strained to say the least. Learned my lesson ...... Always keep sign on the door. ;)

All things being equal, I would gladly take daily housekeeping. Sure it's easy enough to make my own bed...but it's nice to be pampered and return to a clean, organized, restocked room, too.

If dues were (moderately) increased to add some additional services, I would have no objection. But at present, I don't miss it enough to pay for extra services. ;)

I would also do away with trash and towel service or at least make it optional - waive out at check in (on line or at front desk). I know we can put the DND sign on door. But they could operate more efficiently if they knew in advance.

I would also do away with trash and towel service or at least make it optional - waive out at check in (on line or at front desk). I know we can put the DND sign on door. But they could operate more efficiently if they knew in advance.

That's an excellent idea. I'd add the option to be able to pick up/ swap out for a fresh pack of towels in lieu of T&T day and we get to choose which day we do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter