Motorhome reviews?

4Mickey2 - we have taken the Pace Arrow out for a drive on some very hilly roads and my husband wasn't sure about the way it drove. We haven't taken the other one out yet, but will probably do it tomorrow. I am definitely concerned about the motion issue, since I have problems with getting car sick. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

Shan-man - is there a link to the NADA guide where I can go to look up the values of RVs?

motion sickness kind of runs in our family (dad, bro, sis and i all get it). we were concerned about the big disney trip this past october and my sis and family took a short trip with us to do a test run. she took a pill on the way just in case. but the ride was so nice on the way home everyone was fine.

we drove the 19 + hours to disney in october and it was great.

if something doesn't seem right about the ride there are probably things that can be done to improve it. like i said, i know that ours wouldn't of rode as good without these modifications done.

one place has a saying "motorhome manufacturers make your rv livable. we help make your motorhome drivable"...

we bought our stuff from erics rv out of washington (state) and i think he bought something from roadmaster (not positive)...

The best thing to prevent car sickness is to be the driver.

Second best is sit in the front where you can see the horizon.

A class A with the big windshield helps a lot. An air suspension would be nice, but much more expensive than the 2 you're looking at, unless you go with an older model.

If I may jump in here and offer some information:

Fleetwood has some trouble as do many other RV (and car) companies. They did NOT move everything to Mexico, but have CLOSED the Mexico factory. I believe they will survive the bad economy. Even if they went under, you still can get it fixed, most all the systems, A/C, furnace, hot water heater, jacks, slides, refer, etc are all made by other compaines and are found in other RV's as well. If you really needed a Fleetwood part, there are RV salvage compaines that can supply used parts, do a google search for them. The chassis will be either a Ford or a Workhorse, both are good chassis.

The wandering issue: Have you ever driven a large MH before? A new driver often tends to oversteer and induce a wandering feeling. Drive the other MH and see if it feels the same way. If not, check in RV.Net and Irv2.com for help, there are solutions.

The extended warranty is not really a warranty, but a service contract that covers only specific items, not everything like a new MH warranty would. Remember a new MH warranty is only for about a year anyway. Service Contracts are very expensive and are very specific in what they do and do not cover, check RV.Net/Irv2.com for more info and then decide.

New MH's have intial teething problems that the warranty will cover. A used MH will have had most of those issues already solved by the previous owner.
Will the $10k extra for the new MH be worth it for the use you'll get out of it?

I have had 4 MH's, one used (20 years old) that was made by a company that went out of business. I was able to get everything I needed to keep it running. My last 3 I bought new and had many initial teething bugs that took alot of time to get fixed. That being said, I purchased a Service Contract on my newest MH, a diesel pusher, because of the extreme costs of repairing some diesel engine problems if they should arise. The contract costs me $3/month and is a premium coverage policy. My peace of mind. ;)

Do your research, ask on the online RV forums, then get what is best for you. I'm sure you'll make the right choice and enjoy you RV greatly, especially at Fort Wilderness! The best campground anywhere! :goodvibes

Best Regards!

Paul, first, welcome to the DIS boards! Second, I wanted to chime back in and say that I agree with most everything you said. Every manufacturer will have some "teething" issues crop up as you are breaking in a new coach... it is just too complex a beast to be flawless. But, I stand by my assertion that Fleetwood is one of the best brands, especially for a new RVer, simply because they deal in such huge volumes that the issues are more likely to have been worked out. I also agree that most parts are not an issue. The only mfg-specific parts I've had problems with are custom aluminum extrusions and rubber moldings, and a windshield, but these are rare problems I think. Finally, the Good Sam's CSP I spoke of earlier is not an extended warranty, but a mechanical breakdown insurance. It will not cover appliances, or coach-specific systems, rather it covers the chassis, which is usually the problem-prone part of a motorhome (especially once the "teething" issues are resolved). Motorhomes are parked for months and then called on to drive 12 hours at highway speeds, which is tough on engines, tires, transmissions... the chassis. CSP (or other service plans) can provide a lot of peace-of-mind, and $10,000 can cover a lot of CSP. That's all I really wanted to say.

BTW, Paul, have you met our Larry J? You two sound like birds of a feather!

Thanks for the information, Paul and Shannon...one question though...what is teething? I really think that the used Pace Arrow is the one for me. I just wish my DH would make up his mind. I suspect that once he agrees with me on it (which I know he eventually will) the thing will be sold!

69Roadrunner- I know what you mean about looking at the horizon. I've always had to do that when I feel queasy. I also love Bonine. It keeps me from getting sick, it doesn't make be drowsy, and I can still have a drink or two when I'm taking it!:thumbsup2

If I may, "Teething" is sort of working the bugs out, or like a new house you have a "Punch List", items that were not quite right when built. Like a cabinet door out of adjustment or minor tweaks needed to make things perform properly.

For example, my new MH had an electric fold down couch. The motor quit after two uses and had to have a new one installed. The Sirus Radio quit and had to be replaced as well as the motor on my electric awning. Once all these items were corrected, everything has worked well over the last year and 18,000 miles.

Sort of like breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Good luck and have fun, an RV is a great way to visit Ft. Wilderness and everywhere else, too! :cool1:

Best Regards!

Paul, first, welcome to the DIS boards! Motorhomes are parked for months and then called on to drive 12 hours at highway speeds, which is tough on engines, tires, transmissions... the chassis. CSP (or other service plans) can provide a lot of peace-of-mind, and $10,000 can cover a lot of CSP. That's all I really wanted to say.

BTW, Paul, have you met our Larry J? You two sound like birds of a feather!

Shan-Man,

Thank you for the welcome! And I am glad to see the sound advice you have given, too. I know only too well how intimidating an RV can be for a first time buyer. I have some good tips to share based on my extensive list of mistakes I've made over the years :eek: and hope to prevent others from making those same mistakes. Many folks helped me out and I'm trying to pass on th favors. :teacher:

Don't know Larry J, sounds like he and I would enjoy each other's company (and yours) with a beer around the campfire!

One thing I would like to point out, the Good Sam CSP probably wouldn't cost Holly anywhere near $10K. I'm sure with a little research she could come up with an acceptable number from either the CSP or some other company that would satisfy her needs and give her peace of mind. :idea:

Best Regards!

Shan-Man,

Thank you for the welcome! And I am glad to see the sound advice you have given, too. I know only too well how intimidating an RV can be for a first time buyer. I have some good tips to share based on my extensive list of mistakes I've made over the years :eek: and hope to prevent others from making those same mistakes. Many folks helped me out and I'm trying to pass on th favors. :teacher:

Don't know Larry J, sounds like he and I would enjoy each other's company (and yours) with a beer around the campfire!

Hey I'm here watching, lurking at times and reading, but don't have a lot to say on MH's which is not my expertise. As far as the fine tuning I can appreciate that. Our first trailer was a 1981 Powler bought with the plastic still on the beds in early 1982 which we just traded in on our second TT last year ... that's 25 years with the same trailer ...:scared1:

Then only reason we traded in the Prowler was it suffered bad in the big hail storm here back around 2000 and would cost over $10,000 to just reside it and that was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

Even with our new trailer I have had to fix minor screw issues, poor caulking in my opinion and just getting it to were we like it. That is just something everyone goes thru and I don't consider it a major thing.

One thing I would like to point out, the Good Sam CSP probably wouldn't cost Holly anywhere near $10K. I'm sure with a little research she could come up with an acceptable number from either the CSP or some other company that would satisfy her needs and give her peace of mind. :idea:

Best Regards!

Larry

Hi LarryJ,

You and I must practically be neighbors here in NOVA. You're right, nothing like a handy screwdriver to give an occasional twist to the RV screws.

Sorry to hear about the hail damage, but hopefully you've learned to enjoy your new TT well! :love:

Best Regards!

Hi LarryJ,

You and I must practically be neighbors here in NOVA. You're right, nothing like a handy screwdriver to give an occasional twist to the RV screws.

Sorry to hear about the hail damage, but hopefully you've learned to enjoy your new TT well! :love:

Best Regards!

I'm in Springfield!:dance3:

Wow, small world for sure. Live in Gainesville, used to work on Telegraph Road. Now working in Yorktown, yes the commute isn't fun, but I retire next year. Good thing Ft Wilderness is there for my sanity and battery recharging. Leaving next week for the Fort with my grandsons! :banana:

Best Regards!

Wow, small world for sure. Live in Gainesville, used to work on Telegraph Road. Now working in Yorktown, yes the commute isn't fun, but I retire next year. Good thing Ft Wilderness is there for my sanity and battery recharging. Leaving next week for the Fort with my grandsons! :banana:

Best Regards!

Small, Small World ... I'm just 10 miles or less from you down on US29. I'm within a mile of the intersection of Rt28 and I-66.

If you ever need any help give me a holler. I'm retired, have lots of time, and have more tools and toys than I can keep track of ... I just don't do what I did at 30 which is now 30 years ago.

Larry

Minnieand Mickey,

If I may chime in-when we bought our first RV we knew nothing about motorhomes. Had know idea what was a good price, the time and money needed for yearly maintenance, etc. Fortunately, we were lucky-got a great RV and did not overpay by too much. :)

So, I think that what you are doing is great. Getting to know all of the facts. My opinion (and my opinion only), don't feel in any rush to buy an RV. Right now there are tons of great prices on both new and used RV's, and if you find one you like today, you will also be able to find one you like tomorrow (not trying to be glib, there are really a lot of RV's for sale right now, especially if you are able/willing to travel a bit to look). Keep visiting sites like rv.net and continue to look at RV's. You will gradually get a feel of what works best for you. Many people even rent an RV to get an idea of what suits them best.

Best wishes in your search.

Minnieand Mickey,

If I may chime in-when we bought our first RV we knew nothing about motorhomes. Had know idea what was a good price, the time and money needed for yearly maintenance, etc. Fortunately, we were lucky-got a great RV and did not overpay by too much. :)

So, I think that what you are doing is great. Getting to know all of the facts. My opinion (and my opinion only), don't feel in any rush to buy an RV. Right now there are tons of great prices on both new and used RV's, and if you find one you like today, you will also be able to find one you like tomorrow (not trying to be glib, there are really a lot of RV's for sale right now, especially if you are able/willing to travel a bit to look). Keep visiting sites like rv.net and continue to look at RV's. You will gradually get a feel of what works best for you. Many people even rent an RV to get an idea of what suits them best.

Best wishes in your search.

Thanks, cruising spud. We still haven't bought one yet...I think we are on about our third month of looking and researching. I don't think I ever had this much trouble making a decision before...except for maybe when we decided to join the DVC. I kept my husband waiting on that one for 6 years before I ever agreed to that purchase. At least this time we both want it, we just aren't sure what we want! LOL!

You guys on the camping board will be the first to know when we finally buy something!

holly,
I am going to the pittsburgh RV show next week. let me know if there's anything i can pick up for ya.
can't wait to hear and see what you get!

holly,
I am going to the pittsburgh RV show next week. let me know if there's anything i can pick up for ya.
can't wait to hear and see what you get!

Thanks, Donna. I just looked online and there is going to be an RV show in Atlanta on the 22-25 of this month. I'm sure we will be going to check it. This is the same RV show that we went to last fall and from what I understand, it isn't "the big one," but at least it will give us ideas. There is another one in Hampton in April that is supposed to be great, but I'm hoping that we will already have bought one by then. It is driving me crazy that we can't seem to make a decision on this, but it finally dawned on me that it's because we just haven't found the one that is "right" for us. I would love to buy that used Pace Arrow, but there is obviously something that is keeping us from doing it, so we just need to keep looking. You know you will be the absolute first person to know when we buy one...and then I'll tell everyone else on the board!!! :yay:

Are you only looking for a gas MH or are you open for diesel. I say that to say that I have seen some DP for less than the Pace Arrow you talked about. Granted I didn't look at them, but I'm just saying they are some good deals out there. Ex; 2002 Winnebago Journey DL, Cummins HP330 Diesel - $68000

Are you only looking for a gas MH or are you open for diesel. I say that to say that I have seen some DP for less than the Pace Arrow you talked about. Granted I didn't look at them, but I'm just saying they are some good deals out there. Ex; 2002 Winnebago Journey DL, Cummins HP330 Diesel - $68000

No, we are looking at diesels too. It's just that right now, the Pace Arrow is the best price that we've found for a fairly new motorhome. We also don't want to have to go too far away to see it or pick it up if we decide to buy it. It would pretty much need to be in the GA, TN, or northern Florida area. I work for the school system, so it is hard for me to just take a couple of days off to go get an RV.

Holly,

Good for you, taking your time. And I see you are really thinking this through carefully. It is alot of money and you certainly want to make the right choice. Too many folks buy an RV based on a whim or an emotional feeling and shortly afterwards end up trading and buying something else, a money losing propsition. :confused:

By treading carefully like you are doing, I'm sure you'll find the exact MH that will give you years of faithful service and fun times. :love:

Keep asking questions, we're all here to help!

Best Regards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter