Morimoto Asia - has anyone been able to make a reservation yet?

I'm waiting for a review too. The menu confuses me a little bit as the rice/noodles section is so much cheaper than the other entree's listed under fish and meat that I'm wondering if they are side portions instead of entree's. The meat section doesn't list if it comes with any sides either so if you have to order sides on top of the prices of the meat I might pass on this restaurant for now. It would be a little pricey.

I am wondering if dim sum will only be available during specific times. Anyone know?

I have a reservation for next Sunday. I just read the menu and huh???? Sorry, but I have good Chinese in Atlanta. I have good Sushi in Atlanta. (Heck those rolls look more like something you see at Grocery Store with a sushi counter!) I was expecting something more unique and different. Right now I am leaning towards cancelling

There seems to be no Open Table access and the listed Number is busy as of this afternoon.

We just ate there tonight. We were debating somewhere for dinner, decided on Morimoto about 1pm, and were able to make a reservation for 5 people for 5pm, so it didn't seem too hard to get into.

The food was actually really, really good. I was disappointed looking at the menu; some of the food looked interesting but the rest looked a little boring. But it was all great. We started with the pork dumplings and the grilled chicken bao; the dumplings were pretty standard, but the chicken bao was very good. DH got the Kung Pao chicken, which was in a really flavorful sauce. FIL and MIL both got the Spicy Alaskan king crab, and both raved about it (they did both say it was very spicy!) I got the Singapore noodles (I can't seem to find them on the All Ears menu, so not sure of the full name) and they were really good too.

For dessert, we got the churros fondue and the cream caramel. The churros were good but we were disappointed they were served cold, not hot. The cream caramel was not at all like a traditional cream caramel, but it was delicious.

The one criticism I have was that they were very, very firm on no modifications. DH asked if the Kung Pao chicken could be made more spicy, and he was told no. I asked if another dish could possibly be made without the garnish, and was told no. We asked if we could have more of the chocolate hazelnut sauce with the churros, and were told no. So a little annoying, but not the end of the world. Overall we're looking forward to going back and trying some other dishes.

Remember, in Japan, rolls (maki) as we think of them in the USA aren't eaten as a rule. If you go to a sushi bar, usually the only sort of roll you'd see would be the hosomaki- which is just one ingredient (usually cucumber, in my experience) wrapped in rice wrapped in seaweed. Most other maki are really only eaten for luck on Setsuban; you don't see them at sushi parlors. There are of course tons of fusion places that take hints from the USA (just like the million Asian fusion places here), but if you look at the top 100 or so sushi items ordered in Japan, the only 'roll' that makes the list that isn't hosomaki is the California roll (yes, imitation crab meat used), and it's usually mostly ordered by kids doing a "Hey, let's eat American today!" deal.

Morimoto Asia is of course extremely dumbed down from what his ideal was, but going to any Morimoto place and expecting rolls as a focus is sort of like going and expecting General Tso's as a focus. Sure, the rolls/General Tso's might be on the menu, but that's just to grab people who want to have American food.

So, on that note, the nigiri was good (just the fish with no rice is of course possible as well). Nice selection. It's hard to get shellfish raw in my neck of the woods, and the live octopus and scallop were great. Mackrel was very nice tonight, too, in two varieties. They do use their own 'blend' of soy sauce (twas nice enough), the ginger is the real stuff, and the wasabi is the root ground in front of you and lovely. We basically tried most of the nigiri: quite a bit of it isn't on the menu, so it's standard point and ask (though you ask the waiter, not the chef). The chef does it right in front of you, including brushing on the proper amount of soy and the wasabi in the rice. :) We did try the BBQ eel roll, too, just to do a roll: it was actually quite good, though I was a bit disappointed that the eel was fresh water rather then salt (that might just be being spoiled, though- it really was good eel). Not all the chef's speak English, but the waitresses and waiters are very good and can translate between you.

We also did the Korean hot pot, and the mochi-mochi dessert made with the tofu base: both were quite nice as well. Hot pot was a light (but full) portion for one: you could definitely eat it as the entree, though I'd probably consider it more of a lunch entree then dinner. I imagine that would be true with all the noodle dishes. If you did an appetizer/sushi/dim sum with them, it would definitely be a full dinner meal.

Does anyone know what's up with 10/31? Open Table is taking reservations through 10/30 and it looks like Disney will begin taking them for 11/1. But what about 10/31?

Booked ours through Open table also! too bad they don't take ddp yet! two cat: we are going to be there at French quarter from 10/11=10/22 hope to see you there!

Oh, I forgot to mention: they were taking tables in wonderland! Very rare for a newly opened place to, so that was great.

I called yesterday afternoon to get a reservation for the first week of November. The number was busy the first 2 times, but I got through on my 3rd try. We're excited to try it!

We are planning a trip for August 2016, but now I wonder if we should order a la carte as opposed to using DDP credits for this meal. There are items I know my family would enjoy in the app portion of the menu. If the restaurant is strict about no mods, we are going to end up spending more to try everything we want! Either way, we are very excited to eat here, especially in the light of Kouzzina's closing, which was our go-to first night Disney meal in past visits.

Be advised...I just called the restaurant. They are not accepting reservations for 2016 at this time. If I had to guess, they are waiting until Disney takes over reservations on November 1st.

I was truly hoping that the Disney Springs restaurants would stay independent and avoid the scurge of the DDP. Out of all the changes through the years, I loathe DDP the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter