Monorails Are Open and Running

Thanks for the info, CF.

Have you heard if Disney will do anything in honor of Austin?
I was thinking it would be nice to plant a tree in his memory near the monorail entrances. People would think of him but it wouldn't be so in your face as a plaque.

We all wish the cms our best. Thanks for all you do.
I would imagine that any tribute will be informal and backstage. Other CMs have died on the job over the years -- accidents, heart attacks, cancer, etc. And all of the CMs who have passed away while working for WDW were part of the Disney family. How do you honor one without honoring them all?

:earsboy:

I am suprised by so many people worrying about wether the "no riders upfront" policy is a temporary thing or not. Someone lost their life and people are more concerned wether they are going to get to ride up front anymore. Very sad

I am suprised by so many people worrying about wether the "no riders upfront" policy is a temporary thing or not. Someone lost their life and people are more concerned wether they are going to get to ride up front anymore. Very sad
I don't think anyone who is wanting to sit upfront on the monorail is in any way discounting the fact that someone died in a tragic accident. But it's human nature to want things to get back to "normal" after something like this happens. It's natural to wonder if things will ever get back to "where they used to be" after an accident. The world goes off-balance when stuff like this occurs, and folks just want it to "reset" again. Nothing wrong with that.

:earsboy:

I hope you weren't referring to my answer to the pp question regarding Disney's statement about riding up front. I was just giving them the info. I realize a life was lost and never before has the life of someone I haven't known touched me so much. I am deeply saddened. And while riding upfront in the monorail was/is an amazing exprience in no way was I trying to shrug off the fact that a life was lost. I was just trying to give a reason as to why.

No not your initail post of the information. It's good to recieve info like that. It just seems some people replying are just concerned about themselves being able to ride up front again. I really don't see the front car being closed as that big of a deal people should just be happy that they are running again. Riding up front was always more of a priveledge and people should just be thankful that it was available for a certain amount of time. Now something tragic happened and it's not longer safe in Disney's eyes. That seems such a minor detail to me I think people should just be happy that the monorails are up and running again!

Thanks for taking the time to post, you have helped MANY vacationers with the info.

TinkerBelle920 said:
Someone lost their life and people are more concerned wether they are going to get to ride up front anymore. Very sad

TinkerBelle920 said:
It just seems some people replying are just concerned about themselves being able to ride up front again.

Another thread was taken off course in this manner so I'll try to keep this brief. Austin (the CM who died) LOVED his job. That means he loved to see the enjoyment on the faces of kids young AND old as they got to fulfill dreams that they couldn't anywhere else in the world. Part of that, for many guests, is the opportunity to ride up front in the monorail. I'm sure Austin had many great memories of guests that had ridden up front with him while he was a pilot. Yes, it's tragic when someone (especially so young) loses their life needlessly but what's MORE tragic is when people try to make life way to short and dreary by over grieving. I feel quite confident in saying that Austin embodied the true Disney spirit and it would hurt his memory for us to stop a kid (young or old) from dreaming of riding up front in the monorail.

What people here need to realize is that life moves on. Disney World is a place where the troubles of the outside world melt away by design, and Austin helped make that happen everyday. Let's not cheapen or undo his hard work now by saying we shouldn't all go back to enjoying ourselves or all the work he did, and his tragic death as well, were truly for nothing.

Jedi_ I am not quite sure how that cheapens or undo's his work. I am a past cast member myself and I understand the value of being able to do special things for guests and cherishing memories with guests. I did however also see many people willing to put themselves and their children on dangerous and compromising situations just to get a "special experience" at Disney. All I was saying was that people should be happy and content with the rules that Disney has laid out going forward and enjoy their time there despite that. Often people let little things like my child didn't get choosen for the Jedi Academy or I didn't get to ride upfront, things such as this ruin their trip. And people need to look past that and enjoy their time there in light of these things.

Jedi_ I am not quite sure how that cheapens or undo's his work. I am a past cast member myself and I understand the value of being able to do special things for guests and cherishing memories with guests. I did however also see many people willing to put themselves and their children on dangerous and compromising situations just to get a "special experience" at Disney. All I was saying was that people should be happy and content with the rules that Disney has laid out going forward and enjoy their time there despite that. Often people let little things like my child didn't get choosen for the Jedi Academy or I didn't get to ride upfront, things such as this ruin their trip. And people need to look past that and enjoy their time there in light of these things.

Not terribly disagreeing with your statement; however, riding in the front is my 4 & 6 year old boys favorite thing to do at Disney. I'm sure my 4 year old would ride all day long in the front. It is unfortunate about the accident, but it would be disappointing to not be able to do this again. We understand about not letting people ride in the front currently, but do hope this will be lifted at an appropriate time in the future.

That would make sense if riding in the front of a monorail was a "dangerous and compromising situation" but the 30+ years of safety shouldn't be blighted by one day's accident that could have been avoided. Things went wrong, and it's a tragedy, but Disney has deemed the monorail system to be safe again, the only reason we temporarily can not ride up front is out of respect for Austin's fellow pilots and I understand that decision. I'm sure Austin will be thrilled to see the first guests step back into the front car after the suitable grieving time is over. He's watching down along with Walt, and there is a smile on each of their faces.

My goal is not to argue with you as you're clearly is. You win I am not trying to compete with you and you cleary insist on creating an arguement. Have a nice day!

My goal is not to argue with you as you're clearly is. You win I am not trying to compete with you and you cleary insist on creating an arguement. Have a nice day!

I'm sorry you feel that way, it was not my intention, apparently people can not have differences of opinions on this board regarding the monorail tragedy. Please disregard my comments as they are not the status quo.

No not your initail post of the information. It's good to recieve info like that. It just seems some people replying are just concerned about themselves being able to ride up front again. I really don't see the front car being closed as that big of a deal people should just be happy that they are running again. Riding up front was always more of a priveledge and people should just be thankful that it was available for a certain amount of time. Now something tragic happened and it's not longer safe in Disney's eyes. That seems such a minor detail to me I think people should just be happy that the monorails are up and running again!

Gee, I guess some people will see negativity in anything.
I asked the question on this thread to the person who read that Disney will not allow riders in the front car with drivers, if they knew if the article stated this was to be a permanent policy. I was simply curious. My question was not meant to offend you or the family of the diseased CM and I did not mention anything about wanting to ride in the front car.
I don't get it.:sad2:

Have to agree with everyone here, riding up front is a thrill to many young and old and part of the experience. As mentioned, there have been other accidents over the years and if all was considered safe then procedures went back to normal.

On another VERY long thread here people were flaming others for being excited the monorail is even running again. Then a whole bunch of people stepped in to defend those who are just excited about their upcoming vacations, which the monorail is a HUGE part of for many.

IMHO, Austin would be happy the guests will be able to enjoy the monorail ride again, since he is spoken of here as loving his job so much. Really don't think he's want to be some sort of martyr...

I haven't been following this a much as I should have, but i know there was an accident and someone lost there life. That is all I know.. Does anyone know exactly what happened? Not just hear say.. Accidents do happen, and we all feel the loss, does anyone know if he was talking on the phone or anything... I would think that the monorail would have a safety system that would shut it down and stop it before it got that close to the one in front of it..

Say he was an older man or god forbid if he had a heart attack, and just feel over at the controls, I would think Disney would have some kind of safety device onboard that would shut if off.. Why didn't this work if they have it or do they even have something like that...

James

I haven't been following this a much as I should have, but i know there was an accident and someone lost there life. That is all I know.. Does anyone know exactly what happened? Not just hear say.. Accidents do happen, and we all feel the loss, does anyone know if he was talking on the phone or anything... I would think that the monorail would have a safety system that would shut it down and stop it before it got that close to the one in front of it..

Say he was an older man or god forbid if he had a heart attack, and just feel over at the controls, I would think Disney would have some kind of safety device onboard that would shut if off.. Why didn't this work if they have it or do they even have something like that...

James

There is another thread regarding the accident and what appears to have happened. It is very long. Disney does have safty systems (MAPO as it is called) and they were on override so one train could be parked for the night. One train was supposed to make a switch and it didn't happen. The train that didn't switch crashed into the train that was still picking up people. It was a horrific accident. Where there appears to be human error involved. The young driver of the train lost his life in the accident. There is much more detailed info on what appears to have happpend in the other threads.

There is another thread regarding the accident and what appears to have happened. It is very long. Disney does have safty systems (MAPO as it is called) and they were on override so one train could be parked for the night. One train was supposed to make a switch and it didn't happen. The train that didn't switch crashed into the train that was still picking up people. It was a horrific accident. Where there appears to be human error involved. The young driver of the train lost his life in the accident. There is much more detailed info on what appears to have happpend in the other threads.

Ok I started reading the other thread on this topic and it seems that I might have jumped the gun, by thinking that Austin was doing something wrong.. It seems like it was a really bad accident but it seems to me that damage looks really bad for only 15mph... I wasn't there so I couldn't even tell you what I would have done, but I'm sure it happened so fast that it's hard to say what anybody would have done. I feel for his family.

James

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter