Monopod for a park visit

MassJester

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
i didn't enjoy using a tripod in the parks - it was awkward (for me) to carry around, and I felt a bit intrusive setting it up. (Just my feelings)

Have any of you used a monopod, and if so what did you think of it?

I use a monopod, of course it isn't as good as a tripod but it helps when the shutter speed is slow. A monopod stops vertical shake which is probably the worst of the motions.

I've tried using one and consider them more trouble than they're worth. Even the small ones. Good technique can get you most of what a monopod can do for you. Anything more and you might as well take a small tripod. Between technique and improved IQ on newer camera's high ISO settings, it'd be one less piece of kit to carry around. And, if you do get stopped, good luck trying to prove to Cindy CM and Sammy Security it isn't a selfie stick.

1.6 seconds with a 4 ounce monopod, I doubt handheld would have worked as well.

roe_1100786.jpg

Last time I used a selfie stick as a monopod.

It was a year or so before anyone knew what a selfie stick was. We were trend setters. :)

I got myself one of these a many years ago before GoPro's were popular. They were not a hit until someone stuck an iPhone holder at the end....

i didn't enjoy using a tripod in the parks - it was awkward (for me) to carry around, and I felt a bit intrusive setting it up. (Just my feelings)

I use a monopod, of course it isn't as good as a tripod but it helps when the shutter speed is slow. A monopod stops vertical shake which is probably the worst of the motions.

Has that been recently? I haven't seen any monopods in the parks this entire year or at least since security really ramped up and selfie sticks went away. There is times I'd prefer one as well. Now I do see a lot of those lightweight tripods that are actually a monopod with legs you can remove but never seen anyone actually use it like a monopod.

Something I recently started to use after I witnessed someone and had a "why didn't I think of that moment" is a smaller tripod. I thikn it's about 14 inches and really light to carry around and fit in any bag. it extends up to 29 inches. What I witnessed was someone using the garbage can to put it on and also using that like a small table if they had stuff in their hands to put down also. In the hub, they are right on the edge of the curb so it doesn't take up more room and nobody is usually on the other side for some distance. For a parade, they are also on the edge giving you a pretty good spot where people didn't want to stand next too. It's not perfect but since I got it I've been happy with how easy it is to walk up to one and have room and place to stand, even in prime people show up hours early spots. I forget the brand I used but I hunted one down that fit into the bag I already have but I switched bags and it fits really well with smaller sling bags or non-backpack bags.

Had a reasonable amount of success with a monopod once - I used velcro tape to fasten in to fencing etc. for a steady mount. Replacement for tripod? No. But can be handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter