Monitor your Ebay account! Here's why:

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
A few days ago I tried to log into ebay to take a look at a few auctions I was watching. I kept entering my password & kept getting an error message that I was entering the WRONG password. I didn't really give it too much thought, and continued doing other stuff (thinking "I'll check it later...maybe ebay's having server problems").

About an hour later, I logged into my regular email account & noticed an email from ebay confirming my change of password!! There was also another email from ebay confirming my listing for a piece of workout equipment. I clicked onto the auction confirmation & saw that someone had successfully listed an extremely expensive piece of Nautilus equipment under my user ID.

I panicked.

I contacted ebay & told them that this was NOT my listing and that I had NOT authorized them to change my password. I was able to get it straightened out (what a headache THAT is!), and asked the rep how this could happen. He said that there is some sort of "program" or something out there that enables a thief to acquire the password of ebayers with great feedback, then change it to another password (created by the thief), then list a non-existant item. The item is usually something very popular & that will sell for alot of money. Once the auction closes, the winner sends the $ to the "fake" lister (believing he is sending money to YOU). In the meantime, the winner never receives the merchandise and you bear the burden of what may ensue. The thief walks off with a couple hundred bucks or more.

The ebay rep advised me to change my password once a month and make it something extremely difficult to figure out. Just wanted to pass this along to anyone who uses ebay often.

This is really important info for all ebay users, especially ones who are not consistently active. Scary stuff, huh?

I am an active seller, so this is something I have definitely heard about.

Another VERY common way they can get your password and change it is to send you a bogus email where you click on the link and then enter your info. These fake emails really, really look authentic. I get at least 2-5 per week.

Moral of the story, check your account regularly, change your password often and NEVER, ever open a link in the emails your receive...just go to the main Ebay page and go from there.

Same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago, around 5:00 i recieved an email letting me know i had changed my password. 20 min later there were 25 different auctions started for some designer bag. Next thing was about 20 emails from people with questions about the auctions.

Called ebay right away and they delisted and refunded everything. guy told me they have a couple of poeple that all their full time job is is handling these issues.

Yep, happened to me about 3 years ago and I quit using Ebay and PayPal afterwards. I just didnt feel comfy using either of them anymore.

At the time I had not done anything on ebay in a few months when I got a bill from them for not too much around $60-80.00. Had I been using them at the time I probably wouldnt of thought anything about it, but I had not used them recently. Previous to this I had gotten the same "your password has been changed" email from them and I went and checked my account, talked to the right people, and was assured that nothing was wrong or looked suspicious with my account. Then this bill shows up. So I go look at my account and sure enuf someone in some overseas country I think Czechoslavakia (sp?) had several Oboes listed and I think 2 of them had sold for a few thousand dollars. Of course I had changed my password by then and now I'm getting all the emails from people. One lady told me she did question it cause the guys name was different from mine but he told her he was my husband. Needless to say she never got her Oboe and I felt sorry for her but nothing I could do about it. She told me she only makes $10,000.00 a year and she had saved up $2000.00 to buy this thing. My first thought was an Oboe might not be what you need right now. She filed a mediation suit with the Ebay people and they sent me an email, but nothing I could do, it wasnt me. I dont know what became of it, I tried to be nice and sympathetic to the woman but then she just got really nasty, so I quit answering her emails.

My credit card info wasnt compromised so said Ebay but they had also told me that my account was fine too, and it wasnt. I just didnt trust their system after that so I canceled that credit card cause it was on file with Ebay and PayPal and never looked back. I look there once in awhile but in 2 years I've bought one thing. I'm glad they were able to get it fixed for you. It sure is a pain in the butt.

If you need a good Oboe, dont call me... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter