Moms who have done WDW with Infant, Help Please!

mrsbicewdw

Passing Down the Magic
We are taking a WDW trip next week with my DS, who is not quite 3 months old yet (he will be 11 weeks). I need any tips or tricks that any moms would be willing to share. I have been on many, many Disney trips (since I have lived in or around Orlando most of my life), but this will be my first trip as a new mom. I was a cast member in the resorts, so I know a bit about that side of infant travel, but I know nothing about taking one into the parks.

Here is some basic information about our situation:

• As mentioned, he will be 11 weeks old
  • We have a travel system we are taking, so we will have a nice stroller with storage space
  • He is a breastfed baby, so no need to worry about bottles
  • It will be me, DH, MIL, SIL, DH's grandmother, and a cousin (6+baby)
  • We are visiting all four parks
  • We are staying off site in a timeshare, and since we live close, I get to bring all the essentials in our car (including his swing, which he can't live without)

Questions I have...

Since we cannot take the stroller in lines, would anyone suggest a baby carrier for the wait times? We have a Moby Wrap and a regular "snugli" type baby carrier. Also, with the stroller...any cute ways that you have "personalized" the stroller to make it easy to spot and not so easy to steal?

Essential Supplies that you bring/brought for your baby? (Other then the obvious diapers/extra outfits/binky)

Tips for dining? We have made reservations for 6, since we have six adults. I plan on babywearing in the restaurants so that we are not a party of 7 due to bringing in the infant carseat from the stroller.

Do all restrooms have baby changing tables? I have never really looked, since I never had a baby with me.

What is available in the "baby care" centers in each park?

What rides can baby go on with me? (We will use baby swap on the others)

Now of course, if you can add any other information that would help me, please feel free! Thanks! :flower3:

I don't have any children but i can comment on what I have seen.

First, just take it easy. Don't be in a huge hurry. I have seen people with small children get in such a tizzy (is that a word) that it makes the whole party miserable. I have one in my family so i know. LOL.

I have seen moms and dads wear (slings, born, etc) there small children on lots of rides. Ex. Winnie The Pooh, Its a Small World, Peter Pan, jungle Cruise and many more.

I am positive other people can give you more and better advice :). Enjoy your trip.

My son was 3 months when he went for the first time and we just did the Animal Kingdom I didn't use a carrier I just picked him up and carried him. When we went this past February my dd2 was 2 months old and we just picked up a front carrier at BRU and used it.

For dining we brought our stroller in with us. So no tips there.

Yes all of the restrooms have changing tables.

In the baby care centers they usually have: changing tables, high chairs, diapers & wipes for sale. Some baby medicane. There's more I just can't think of it.

Baby can go on any ride there isn't a height requirement on.

If your going to use the stroller we found that laying a towel down & putting baby on the towel helps with sweating. If the towel gets too wet or icky feeling you can switch it out and baby will feel more comfortable. I aslo suggest bringing a change of clothes for baby AND you. On my daughters 1st trip she was 19 months old and on the line for the sarfi ride at Animal Kingdom she peed out of her diaper and all over my shirt. I had a change of clothes for her but not for me.

We've never used anything to make our stroller stand out. I also didn't see anyone else with a stroller like ours so that helped.

I can't think of anything else right now.

I've bee with a 3 1/2 month old and a 4 1/2 month old. Definitely a big fan of the carrier for rides and lines. If you're lucky, your LO will fall asleep! Also, it's harder for other people to touch the baby when you're carrying him. No other special supplies other than hand sanitizer. Also, make sure that you get any shots you want to get b4 Disney-- it is a pretty germy place (although I found that my kids got sick much less when they were being BF). I probably sound like a total germaphobe to you LOL-- really I'm not. I am just extra vigilant at crowded places when they're that young.

Another thing I found useful was a nursing cover. I would nurse the baby during parades or fireworks and when she fell asleep, I would just leave her under the cover. This allowed her to sleep longer bc it muffled the sound and lights quite a bit, but there was still that opening at the top so shecould breathe.

Good luck! It's not as hard as it seems, and you will have a lot of fun!

Make sure stroller can block the sun from gettin to yoru DS.

Plan on taking your time and having a relazing disney trip. Be flexable and take it easy.

We found it easyist to take the stroller into the restaurant. The restaurant usualy had less going on and our 5m DS would sleep while we ate.

The baby care centers are at the entrance to most of the parks and are not convent to use. The bathrooms all have changing tables.

He can go on most of the rides. The crowds shouldn't be to bad when you go, so you might not use the carriers. We when with my parents and traided off holding DS in the lines. He wanted to touch/ see everything taht was going on anyways.

I took my 14 week old this past November. We did not use a travel system, we actually left his infant seat in our car at the airport back home. We just put him in our regular stroller, but honestly most of the time I carried him in a mei tei carrier. Mine is from mei tei baby and he and I both LOVE it! I only took the stroller since I also have a DD who was turning 3 that trip. I probably would not have taken one every day to the parks if it was just DS. WE didn't take a separate diaper bag, just put his diapers, wipes and a change of clothes in the backpack we usually take.

I BF him also, which was the easiest (I took my DD when she was 10 months and on formula so I have a good point of reference).

He was the easiest of my 3 kids!:rotfl:

Loved my Moby Wrap when they were that age, and we used it at the parks. Best advice I can give you is RELAX. You will be surprised how easy it really is, and how baby friendly the World is. There are changing tables in all of the restrooms. I only used a baby care center once, and have taken my children as well as my godsons all before they turned 1. I was really surprised how nice it was, and was kinda upset with myself for not using it earlier.

RELAX, and have a MAGICAL TRIP. Take a ton of pics, the characters love babies and babies love the characters. They are still too young to be afraid :)

Just about every TS restaurant we have been to was able to seat us at a table that allowed us to bring our stroller in with us.

oh, We didn't use the carseat part either. The bigger seat in the stroller let our DS move around more and allowed for better airflow.

I've bee with a 3 1/2 month old and a 4 1/2 month old. Definitely a big fan of the carrier for rides and lines. If you're lucky, your LO will fall asleep! Also, it's harder for other people to touch the baby when you're carrying him. No other special supplies other than hand sanitizer. Also, make sure that you get any shots you want to get b4 Disney-- it is a pretty germy place (although I found that my kids got sick much less when they were being BF). I probably sound like a total germaphobe to you LOL-- really I'm not. I am just extra vigilant at crowded places when they're that young.

Another thing I found useful was a nursing cover. I would nurse the baby during parades or fireworks and when she fell asleep, I would just leave her under the cover. This allowed her to sleep longer bc it muffled the sound and lights quite a bit, but there was still that opening at the top so shecould breathe.

Good luck! It's not as hard as it seems, and you will have a lot of fun!

You don't sound crazy. :thumbsup2 I have hand sanitizer with me at all times so that I can clean my hands and DHs when we are out and about, and so that other people can use it. I just bought some extra for the trip. :)

Good idea with the nursing cover. I was planning on bringing one since DS gets very distracted if I feed without the cover in a new place, but I didn't think about it blocking out some of the sounds and lights when he needs to sleep.

To be honest, I am most concerned about the fact that he does not like sitting in the stroller for more than 2 secs. :headache: I can't carry him all the time b/c I have back problems, so I think we will be playing "pass the baby" alot.

We took our DD at 4 1/2 months last year. One thing that worked well to keep the sun off her even in her stroller was a parasol. We got it at China in EPCOT. Her stroller (from a travel system) does have a cover but depending on which direction you're headed, how well it shades. The parasol also worked well when we needed to carry her out of her stroller and might be in the sun somewhat.

We took her carrier but only used it once. Depending on how much your baby is in the stroller vs in the carrier whether it's worth it to bring it especially since you have several adults to play pass the baby. Our DD does sit in her stroller fairly well and when she's over it, she would not accept being put in a carrier at that point anyway.

Although a PP is right that you can take the baby on any ride without a height restriction, think about the ride before you get on it. Some have movement that may not be very conducive to an infant. The Safari really bounces around. The Tea Cups...spinning...all I got to say. Also Buzz Lightyear and TSM are a little difficult because you have to be able to use both hands. Also movement on these two isn't the best for babies. Buzz isn't as bad because someone in the car controls the movement. But TSM can really jerk you around as you go from spot to spot.

Good Luck--everything will be fine! Have a GREAT trip!

We went when my baby was 3 months, and she lived in the carrier the whole time. We didn't even bring her stroller with us. It was more for convenience for us since we didn't want to deal with the stroller, and she was content in the carrier.

Bring lots of diapers. If memory serves me correctly, the baby care centers only had Huggies and in bigger sizes (I think starting at size 3).

I brought my nursing cover and used it quite a bit. Dark attractions / shows were also great for feeding times.

You might want to consider a night light (more for you than for baby) for middle of the night feedings in an unfamiliar place.

To be honest, I am most concerned about the fact that he does not like sitting in the stroller for more than 2 secs. :headache: I can't carry him all the time b/c I have back problems, so I think we will be playing "pass the baby" alot.

You've gotten some great tips already! With all the adults going, hopefully your back won't need to bear the brunt of everything. If it is bothering you, though, I'd suggest heading to a baby care center. The rockers are comfy for nursing or just rocking baby to sleep and chilling out in the A/C. :thumbsup2 When DD was 3 months, we wore her most of the time. We had the Bjorn adjusted to DH's height and I had a sling and we took turns. Have a great trip!

Thanks so much for all the tips so far! We are going to check and see if he can sit in the big part of the stroller yet, since that would give him more movement...but the advantage of the carseat that goes with the stroller is that it has a sunshade as well, so I can cover from whatever direction the sun is coming from.

He is still in size 1 diapers, so thanks for the tip that they generally only have the bigger sizes. I will just have to make sure to take plenty of diapers each day...he is a such a pooper! :laughing: We actually cloth diaper at home, so I am not looking forward to buying so many disposables...they are so expensive.

Definitely bring extra clothes for yourself... nothing is worse than the walk of shame covered in baby poo....:rolleyes1 I know first hand!

The baby care centers are great and have a place to breastfeed as well. In MK it is one big room with chairs and is for mom's only. The other parks have separated rooms. I didn't use it all the time but it was nice to have the option of a quiet place to go that had air and no other stimulation. Sometimes my ds needed that. They also sold diaper rash cream which is good to know even if you don't need it for baby. My DH has had to go buy some there before for heat rash! :rotfl: AK has the nicest by far.

You'll be fine. Just make sure that you drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. With breastfeeding, an increase in activity, and heat you will need it more than you realize!

We took our 4 month old last spring. The 2 biggest things we used to deal with the sun and heat are a ray shade from babies r us (super extra large shade that attaches to any stroller over the top of the existing shade) and a fan that clips on to the stroller. Many other parents asked us where we got the fan and baby was way more comfortable in the heat than we were!

I agree-- pack an extra t-shirt for yourself. I spent the whole time in the line for Peter Pan thinking the woman behind me smelled like vomit. Then I looked down at my shirt and realized it was me LOL.

The nursing room at Epcot is also one big room. You can turn the rocker toward the wall so you can be quiet with your LO. I have a really cute memory of nursing in one of these rooms. There were 3 other moms there, and it was really quiet except for all 4 babies making little adorable gurgly, babbly sounds. It was just so cute that we moms all started laughing spontaneously.

a fan that clips on to the stroller. Many other parents asked us where we got the fan and baby was way more comfortable in the heat than we were!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And don't forget extra batteries! Some of these fans really drain batteries and they are way cheaper at your local store rather than buying them in WDW.

The baby care centers are at the entrance to most of the parks and are not convent to use. The bathrooms all have changing tables.

The ONLY park with the Babycare center near the entrance is the Studios.

Epcot- between Future World and Mexico
MK-between Casey's and Crystal Palace
AK-between Pizzafari and the bridge to Africa

We took our 4 month old last spring. The 2 biggest things we used to deal with the sun and heat are a ray shade from babies r us (super extra large shade that attaches to any stroller over the top of the existing shade) and a fan that clips on to the stroller. Many other parents asked us where we got the fan and baby was way more comfortable in the heat than we were!

I have to second this- the stroller fan was probably the best $15 we spent the entire week we were there last year with our 12 mth old.
Allowed my DD to rest comfortably in the stroller whether awake or napping. We had other parents stopping us in the parks every day asking where we found it- they were hoping we had bought in the World. Extra batteries are a must!

2nd best was the lightweight umbrella stroller(Maclaren) to bring instead of our travel system stroller. It was 8lbs and super easy to maneuver & fold. Also had mesh seat to help with the sweat factor. But I'd only recommend that for older babies- I'd stick with the larger stroller for a 3 mth old despite the hugeness of it.

The baby care centers were also a lifesaver, they were cool, air conditioned, & usually quiet!

We took our twins when they were 3 months. They were preemies so they were very small, but we still used our Mclearen umbrella stroller as opposed to the travel system stroller. It was great because it allowed more air around them, and we could put ice in ziplock bags into the pockets on the back and it helped keep them cool along with the fan, they actually never got hot when they where in the stroller. And when the top was down it helped keep anyone from touching the cute twins especially with the fan clipped on there - just no safe way to get into touch:thumbsup2.

A life saver for us was earmuffs we got for them - they cut out the noise. Once they got used to them (we put them on them a few times at home so they could get used to having them on they are kind of bulky.) Anyway with the ear muffs on they could sleep through shows and parades made life so much nicer as a lot of the shows and movies are REALLY loud especially for a little guys ears.

We used a wrap carrier for whenever we went on rides - it kept people from touching the cute baby, and allowed us to have our hands free.

We loved the baby centers to nurse in the airconditioning, and also to allow a little time for them to get out and squirm. As I was nursing twins I would have one on the floor on a blanket at my feet while I nursed one and then switched. I saw a few other moms with singletons with their baby on the floor too. It made our day a nicer when I took at least one nursing session in the baby care center. Other times I nursed while waiting for shows or parades with a cover.

For eating we would put them in the wrap if we couldn't leave them in the stroller - The more crowded restaurants didn't allow the stroller in. The one thing is if you do bring the travel system at dinners you could put the carrier on the holder which would be nice, but IMO it isn't worth the bigger stroller, and less air around the baby during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter