Moms who have done WDW with Infant, Help Please!

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by mrsbicewdw, Mar 9, 2011.

1. momto2js

momto2js DIS Veteran

We traveled when my youngest was 5 months but I found it to be completly exhusting!!!! My biggest tip is that you may need to get a mid day rest. The baby will likely sleep anywhere but YOU will be walking all day and then up a few times in the middle of the night. In our case, I didnt' realize how much the being up early to feed the baby before we left, being the last to bed becasue I had to feed the baby and then up 2X's more than the rest of the family really wore me down FAST. By the third day I was in tears ready to go home. After that, we forgot about RD, and I took a mid day nap and it made a HUGE difference.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mrsbicewdw

mrsbicewdw Passing Down the Magic

Too cute. :goodvibes I will have to bring an extra shirt for sure...I leak like crazy (sorry if TMI). I will have to use the baby care/nursing rooms in each park at least once...they sound nice. DS tends to get distracted if we nurse out and about anyway. And I am bringing a cover, but depending on the weather, I don't want him to sweat to death under it! I am okay with nursing w/o the cover...but then he wants to look at everything and not eat. :)

Just as a note to other moms - I know that most people use a cover when nursing, but in August or something...when you and baby my melt into a puddle with any extra cover on you...In Florida, you are protected by law to be able to nurse in any way you feel comfortable. :flower3: If you are okay with nursing without a cover, feel free too. No one can tell you to stop, move, cover-up, etc. This is actually part of training at all theme parks (I worked at Disney and Universal).

4. NJR

NJR Mouseketeer

I hate to break it to you, but your party size is not dictated by the people in seats, but by the number of bodies - you really are a party of 7, even if you wear the baby. Hopefully the restaurants will still be able to accomodate you and that this will not cause you any grief.

5. livndisney

livndisney DIS Veteran

Actually the law says "A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be,"

The bolded part is the part most people leave out and then want to argue.
    I have seen women argue they be allowed into closed theaters and backstage areas citing "the law". Guests are not authorized to be in those areas.

6. shanab99

shanab99 Earning My Ears

I would LOVE to nurse w/o a cover. But I'm a bit modest, my babies are little squirming hellions and there is no way I can nurse them w/o giving some old lady an eyeful of nipple. If any other moms want to nurse w/o covers, though, it's all good. Just depends on what the mom is comfortable with!

I found Liberty Square to be the best place to watch the parades and be able to sit down and nurse. The Rose Garden was great for watching Wishes. Only prob is that it's not that easy to get out of the parks once you are done.

7. mrsbicewdw

I talked with the ADR cast members just to make sure of this, they said that as long as we do not bring in the stroller or carseat (which would take up a "seat") that he would not count towards the head count, since he won't take up a seat if he is snuggled on me in a carrier.

Um...not to sound argumentative...but I know that I am not allowed in backstage areas to nurse...;). That was not what was meant by my post. And I think we can safely assume that other moms on here are not going to try and waltz into a backstage area to nurse. :rotfl2:

8. livndisney

livndisney DIS Veteran

You would think that, but it happens. My point was that the law often gets misquoted, giving some the wrong impression.

9. livndisney

livndisney DIS Veteran

You may really want to double check that you were given correct information(sometimes CM's make mistakes), since everyone else is told that infants do count in the total.

"All children (including infants) must be counted as members of the party when making reservations even if the infant will be seated in a highchair, carrier, adult lap, not ordering a meal or eating off the adult plate. Incorrect party size numbers due to infants may delay seating time. See also "Dining with Children" for more information.

For parties of 6 or more, an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to the bill."

http://www.********************/wdw/dining/essential_information.html

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40179291&highlight=infants+and+adrs#post40179291

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=39831877&highlight=infants+and+adrs#post39831877

I hope you have a great trip.

10. tiffsix

tiffsix Queen of the Castle

We went to Disney last Feb. when my daughter was 11 weeks old. It is a bit different than when you are going. It was cold. At that age, they sleep all the time and we decided to bring her car seat where she was comfortable sleeping and attached it to the double stroller. I hardly ever took her out, but she was comfortable sleeping in it, + it was cold. I don't think she went on a single ride. ha ha! It was also great to have the car seat, yes it is heavy & bulky, but it was great for restaurants. I have never been comfortable using a sling but other moms have had great success and love them so that would be a great option too.

my daughter was EBF. I breastfed her on a quiet bench or in one of the baby care centers which are really nice just not always convienant to where you are in the park. I didn't use a nursing cover, just brought along a blanket & covered myself up.

you are lucky to have a lot of extra hands going with you! Always helpful with kids!

I am a germophobe and I bring the travel clorox wipes with me. I wipe down the changing area before I even put my LO down on it (And I put a changing pad or blanket down too) I also use these on the plane, hotel room, restaurant high chairs. Just makes me feel better!

As for dining, like i mentioned, I carried my daughter in in her car seat. I would bring the stroller in too if my kids were sleeping in it. Disney is very accomodating! As for the number in your party, I wouldn't sweat it really. We have been to disney numerous times and sometimes central reservations got the number in our party wrong. They accomodate you. A little infant is not going to be room for concern. IMO.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

11. dznystar

dznystar DIS Veteran

DH & I were both CMs too. And he worked for both Disney and Universal as well, but of course that was years ago. I've had both of my son's at the parks at very early ages. With my youngest, I had the travel system, but left the carseat part in the room. DS was comfy being able to stretch out with the stroller laid back. He was just under 3 mos for his first visit. I also had my Snugli carrier with me and that helped a lot. The baby centers are really nice. The one at EPCOT has a room with tv and rocking chairs and toys for some older ones, a changing table room, high chair room, a quiet room, and shop with some necessities.

As for table size. We have never included infants in dinner plans and we have always been able to bring the stroller in if needed.

For stroller stuff....get the mickey fan....don't know what I would do without it. We use it all the time. Also, there is a DISer "Dolly" that has a share file with printables for strollers.

12. mrsbicewdw

Thanks so much for letting me know about those! Too cute, and I was wanting something for the stroller. :) I wanted to print out a Star Wars one from her, but my poor printer would have no black ink left if I did that. I got a Donald one. :thumbsup2

13. adventure_woman

adventure_woman DIS Veteran

As an FYI - I noticed that you said you have a 'snugli' type carrier. Those are very very uncomfortable and do hurt your back. I don't know if you have tried a better carrier which is much more comfortable for you and baby...ie Ergo, Beco, Olives and Applesauce, a Mei Tei is better. If you want more info, let me know. I have a carrier and I can literally wear DD for hours as I don't feel her weight...if I actually carry her in my arms I last about 5 minutes!!

14. SweetMissy

SweetMissy DIS Veteran

I used a sling with my daughter as a baby. And after this last trip I really wish that was possible for a 7 & 4 year old, lol. I hate strollers! They make life so much harder! If it were me with a baby that young, I wouldn't even bother bringing a stroller. When we went, it was so crowded and it seemed like EVERY person was pushing a stroller....some even with little ones which could've saved a lot of time and frustration had they been using some sort of carrier instead. Another good thing if you're breastfeeding...makes things easier, less to pack. We had a book bag that my husband carried. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

15. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

Well, you can't easily get these new anymore because the fabric is no longer made, but my best parks prop was my solarveil ring sling. Carried her all over the place and nursed without anyone ever noticing. I wore it in the pool, too; she was happy as a clam sitting bucket-style so that she could see Daddy and big brother splashing around for her amusement.

You might be able to find a dealer on line who still has some in stock; I really recommend one if you can find it. I still use mine at theme parks even though DD is now 3; it's useful for carrying her when she falls asleep.