Mom & Dad are getting "married" again DCL -Disney Dream VR 2/21/11

YAY, another DCL bride! Everything looks so lovely this far! The flower girl basket ---you did a wonderful job with it!

You two are an amazing couple!! You really deserve this vow renewal!! :goodvibes

I'm excited for you that your mom can join you! I'll be praying that there is a way for your stepfather to join you.

Your flower girl basket is amazingly beautiful! You matched the flowers really well and I love the hidden mickeys!

Hi all! We're still hanging around - and checking in to the DCL boards quite often...
We paid off our cruise and VR ceremony last weekend! There were moments over the past couple of months that I was not sure if this ceremony was going to happen :headache: DH thought it might be better to go an an adults only getaway for a week instead of spending the $$$ but realized this was important as well. The girls are also so excited to be flower girls! So on goes the planning!

I wanted to find an economical way to purchase a dress for our ceremony. A 10 yr vow renewal only happens once (I think :goodvibes) My original dress is WAY out of date and a size 0 which is about ten sizes SMALLER than I am now (another benefit of childbirth :goodvibes)!!! I went to David's to try on some dresses - and I even found one I liked but decided to wait... In the meantime, I search ebay for custom gowns. Then I found it! A great gown at a great price with all the matching accessories in my size - on craigslist... Okay, I know it is used and probably a possible sign of someone else's misfortune... but we have made it this far - 10 years - so no amount of bad luck is gonna do us in. That was, of course, until the owner opened the box and the beautiful white gown was covered in BIG yellow spots! :mad:
She insisted that I take the gown and try to have it cleaned, even though I thought it was hopeless. DH & I went to the dry cleaners and presented them with the dress - they of course, were as discouraged as we were but they said they'd try... One week later, the dress was restored to it's brilliant white beauty! OMG:yay::yay::yay:! So alittle bit of wishing and some pixie dust went a long way... Check another thing off the list - dress, petticoat, jewelry, veil, & headpiece purchased! The dress still needs to be taken up about two inches, but I'm waiting for closer to the cruise. I'll post some pics then...

We'll be travelling with our close family who already all know about the Vow Renewal. I thought about ordering some handmade invites from esty or ebay but decided I would try again on my own after seeing someone's passport style invite here on the disboards...

I used an online template located here www.ayleebits.com to which I appreciate her kind offer to share it with all of us and acknowledge her hardwork designing it. After I adjusting the template with our information, I printed it out on map scrapbook paper and solid navy to resemble a passport. Overall it was really easy. I left the information really simple - since some in our party have NEVER been to Disney :confused3! I think it came out cute - for a fraction of the price :). It didn't take all that long to do... This is my first try - it needs to be cleaned up a bit, but you get the idea!

NO004.jpg

NO006.jpg

NO007.jpg

NO008.jpg

NO009.jpg

Hope someone else can use this info to create their own as well!

Our cruise is getting closer - and with that, our vow renewal ceremony! Yeah! My DH has been looking for some "beachy" style attire for himself and our little guy. He always laughs when I match the girls outfits - but for once, he wants Ty to match him! We looked here http://weddingtropics.com/ for some matching shirts and linen pants. He likes the black embroidered block look. We got very confused with measuring for sizing and decided to wait since custom sets are not returnable... Has anyone ever used them?

We're starting to lock down the final details...

For music we have chosen...
Prelude - A Dream is a Wish
Processional - Trumpet Voluntary
Recessional - Water Music - Hornepipe
First Dance - So This Is Love
Cake Cutting - Bibbidi-Bobbity-Boo
Dancing - Colors of the Wind
When you Wish Upon A Satr
Unforgettable

I've also chosen to go with the Celebration Photography Package through the DCL photographers. I've read mixed reviews about their abilities but I figure I will take a chance. I will have family present to take additional pictures and I'm sure I will want to take some of my own :)!

I am REALLY tossed about what to do about my hair... I want to enjoy the moment and relax instead of chasing our kiddos, so I thought some "alone" time in the salon might be good for me :) only problem is that I've also heard mixed reviews on the hairdressers. For our first wedding, I was convince I would have been able to do a better job myself. Will I feel the same way this time around? I will practice some styles here at home and book an appointment now just in case... I can always cancel the appointment if I like what I can do. I have long hair - I wonder if the wind will blow it around too much?!? Who knows...

The details have been finalized and sent off to Shanda...
I'm assuming she let's you know how much additional you've added on.

Still on the search for Men's attire. Totally impossible to find matching boy's items. Hubby insists on "beach" wear but doesn't like the traditional "Hawaiian" shirt.

I also have to find some brown leather sandals for my 6yo to match his dad's...

Wish me luck :)

Haven't had time to update this PJ in awhile.

Our Vow Renewal ceremony on the Dream was on 2/21/11 almost a week ago! We just got home to new piles of now and already miss our warm Disney vacation!

We arrived at port on Sunday around 11am. We were shuffled to the Supervisors desk with all our carry-ons and two huge dress bags. From there, we were brought to the concerige desk where they checked us in along with giving us an invite to meet up with our wedding coordinator at 2:30pm at Guest Services. We were allowed to board with the first group along with our connected stateroom guests. Upon boarding, we went to Guest Services and dropped off the dresses to Rufaro (who we were told was our wedding coordinator by Shanda). We headed to the pools to enjoy some time with the kiddos until our stateroom was open! In our room we received a wedding invitation for our ceremony, another invite tomeet the coordinator at 2:30, two robes hung up, and a fruit platter. At 2:30pm, My DH & I returned to Guest Services to find that Rufaro was switched out with a gentleman named Panos. Panos took us to a conference room to chat about the details of our VR. We again asked for an outdoor location but one had not been located. He said it was crowded and not private on deck. He didn't seem to realize why I thought it was important.

We asked to see the Outlook Lounge since my Mother was watching our kids and we had time - unfortunately, he had to meet with another couple and offered to show us it another day. He was okay - I just wish I had someone coordinate who was excited about meeting couples getting married. I didn't feel that from him...
As advised by Panos, I headed up to the spa to meet my wedding hairdresser! Her name was Amanda and she was the best! Not only did she take time to talk hair (with excitement) but she gave me a tour of the spa and its treatments!

On Monday (aka VR day), we headed out to Nassau for some shopping. We returned to the ship at noon for lunch and relaxation. At 2:00pm, I went to Senses to meet up with Amanda. She spent an hour twisting my hair into curls. She applied my head piece and veil. I hurried back to my stateroom to dress the kids. Once they were all set, I started to get dressed. At 3:40pm, my DH and kiddos headed up to the Outlook Lounge with Panos who also delivered my bouquet.

Panos returned at 4:05pm to accompany me. We had to take three different elevators up to the Outlook and he could not remember which one went all the way to deck 14. Weird, eh? On the way up he told me he had another ceremony after ours (? Shanda said they only did one onboard ceremony a cruise) - a larger party... Once we found the floor, I was placed in a blocked off hallway while we waited for the Captain to arrive. Panos walked out th kids to lead me so the ceremony could begin. The ceremony was very short about 8 minutes. They left a spot for our own vows - which we were not aware of and did not prepare and stood feeling silly - wish I had known (SO PLEASE BE AWARE AND READY). The ceremony did not include or address the kids at all. The Capatin seemed rushed and was not very animated. The lounge was nice and cozy. We had 12 guests who fit comfortably inside. I can't imagine many more people there. There is a little cove with a REAL piano! This was a treat since I thought it would be a keyboard. There also was a nice white podeum - not a black instrument stand that I had seen in past pictures. The cake table was in the back with white clouded linens. The cake looked pretty but our Mickey & Minnie topper kept falling over. There was two flower arrangements on the table which was a pleasant surprise! The huge windows were great, but half were covered by blinds to block the sun. The view was of the pools below. If you looked to the sides, you could see the water and Nassau. In the end, I spent most of my time looking at my husband so I guess it wasn't a deal breaker - accept that it was VERY difficult to go outdoors and find a clear spot on deck for photos of the ocean. I think we took two or three...

The cake looked okay - but was horrible - It was supposed to be buttercream but it tasted more like nut or coffee. No one ate their slices - NOT EVEN THE KIDS WHO EAT EVERYTHING! The gum paste was hard and separating from the cake. I think it was frozen and defrosted prior to our ceremony. There was some confusion on who was cutting it and passing it out too... Our photographer took lots of shots but seemed fustrated by the crowdson the ship and lack of locations not already occupied. He took tons of "kissing" pictures which I was not so interested in. He also took alot of slanted view shots - which I am not used to.

We went to Palo for supper which was really nice. When we returned to our room, we had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. Rose petals covered the bedding along with the bouquet, flower arrangements, cake server set, flower girl baskets, and Mickey pomander. Panos dropped off our wedding certificate.

pics006.jpg

pics010.jpg

pics013.jpg

pics018.jpg

pics017.jpg

My pictures were ready in Shutters on Tuesday night to view. There was around 100 - 125 picture to choose from. I ordered them before closing and picked up my 8 X 10s on Wednesday evening. Panos brought us a gift basket with a keepsake box, photocards, and a large beach towel (and a voucher for a free 8 X 10) so it was a nice safe place to pack them away.

**The smudging you see if from my scanner not the photos**

Please feel free to ask questions about our experience. It was okay... just okay...
My hubby and I had discussed taking a week long vacation alone or doing this ceremony. In the end, we decided on the ceremony. Looking back, I believe our money would have been better spent on a vacation... Good thing he thinks so too - we'll be booking one just for the two of us soon ;) LOL!

I am sorry you had some issues - it seems to be a bit of a trend with some DCL weddings/VRs. Your photos are beautiful and everybody looks gorgeous (particularly you and the girls). I am glad you may get your vacation too!!! Best of both worlds eh!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your experience. It scares me to think the space only fits about 12 comfortably as we have 25 or so. This is a question I tried to contact shanda about and haven't heard a response. Your family looked beautiful and you looked happy ;)

well let me start off by saying your hair looks gorgeous! everything seemed beautiful! the things that concerned me the most as a dcl bride is that i have about 45 people coming and i would hate to be cramped in a small room & the ceremony will only be 4 minutes long? really? that is REALLY REALLY short.

Amanda in Senses on the Dream was excellent for hair!!!!

I think you can definetly extend the time of your ceremony by adding a unity candle (which we did not bring since we were originally told we'd be on deck) since there will be no issue with a breeze and by creating your own vows to enhance the traditional ones in the ceremony. You could even add areas for family to recite scripture or poetry which would enhance the ceremony and extend the time.

I also advise writing or mentally preparing a toast. I never thought to write one and our family present did not have anything "inspirational" to add to the moment.

The chairs would be great for petal cones too so guests can throw rose petals as you leave & re-enter as you are "introduced".

They used the lounge chairs in the Outlook for our ceremony. They take up more space than a traditional folding chair - they might change them for larger parties to accomidate more guests...

I'm SO glad I found your TR!! I've been searching these forums for days trying to find someone who'd had a VR recently, especially on the Dream! More talk about "weddings" than "VRs" so weeding through the info that actually pertains to me has been challenging at times. I've had communication issues with Shanda. Thus, I'm 60 days out, WITH questions, and that is never a good thing. I wish DFTW treated you more like a paying customer than a burden. DH has said many times that our money would've been better spent on a simple, long, land Disney vacation. So, I'm disappointed to hear that you kind of agree. And, after reading several threads with tons of complaints, I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion! However, I'm stuck on doing the whole "fairy-tale princess" kind of thing. I got talked into doing certain things for my original wedding and I was too shy to speak up. My mom and MIL basically ran the entire show. NOT going to happen this time around! I'm finally going to get the "wedding" of my dreams....even if I have to dump an entire bag of Pixie Dust on this darn thing! :laughing:
So, I will be wearing a fluffy, pink dress with jewel accents and 'glass' slippers. My 2 boys have blk suits with pink shirts and DH has a pink vest/tie for his tux. We even have matching mickey rings for the ceremony! :cloud9:
Since Shanda is MIA, I was hoping you could share more of your experience with me!
1.) Is an outdoor venue impossible on the Dream? That was the one thing I was looking forward too. I really wanted lots of great outdoor shots w/ both the ship and the ocean in the background.
2.) Can they incorporate color and/or other "special requests" into the cake? I saw the pics of the 3 cakes we can choose from. I was hoping they could add some pink accents to coordinate with our attire.
3.) I'm hoping they will allow us to recite different vows. I read through DCL's and I wasn't impressed. Friends used "Blessing of the hands". I asked, Shanda submitted them for "approval", but that was months ago and still no word.
4.) Do you happen to know what the "mickey crystals" are that you can add to your bouquet? Curious about what they look like b/c I don't want to pay extra for them before I even know what they are. lol. (yet another question I couldn't get a difinitive answer on)
5.) What kind of "keepsakes" does DCL give you? Kinda wondering/looking forward to all the lil things in my stateroom! I think you mentioned robes in a post? Do you get to keep those?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter