Mom & Dad are getting "married" again DCL -Disney Dream VR 2/21/11

hrarcham

Mouseketeer
thCAW92N0L.gif

I decided to do it! I decided to take the plunge *again* with my husband of ten years! The struggle wasn't wether I wanted to be with him or not... but wether or not it would be "worth" spending the money on...

So - we reviewed our budget and made the decision! We are renewing our vows on the Disney Dream in february of 2011 :cloud9:!

My name is Heather. These days, I am pretty plain and low key :cutie:. I am a 33 year old mommy. I spend my weekdays shuffling from school to soccer to dance classes. I live for my kiddos and would spend every last dime on them! I have four... kiddos - not dimes LOL! Here they are...
ty050.jpg

We live in a small town in Massachusetts were everyone knows your name & often your business... Not only am I a member of the PTO, but I am a Brownie Troop Leader, Foster Parent, and a clown with the Clowning For Kidz Foundation :clown:!
OopsieDaisy.jpg

On weekends, I am a charge nurse in the operating room of our nearest trauma hospital. Sure... I stay busy - but ALL of my focus is on the kids!

My hubby, Ray, is 35. He works full time as a power engineer and spends the rest of his time showering the kids with his attention:wizard:...

Here we are...
009.jpg

It is kinda a horrid picture, but usually one of us is behind the lens taking pics of the kids!

Last year, we were scheduled to go on the DCL. We had to change our plans to WDW when we learned we would be taking care of a foster child (it is very difficult to take them out of the country - even if it is a cruise). So, we decided we would DEFINATELY take a Disney Cruise in 2011. We booked our two staterooms & placed our deposit. September 2010 will be our 10 year anniversary. We wanted to celebrate in a special way but did not want to take a separate trip (& spend so much $$$) for ourselves. We read about VR on DCL but thought the cost could be better spent on something for the kids. Then, we realized :idea: that we are the foundation of our family and showing the kids how much we love one another and cherish our family :grouphug: is IMPORTANT! Celebrating our 10 year as an accomplishment:yay:! So we contacted DFTW for info on a Disney Cruise Line Vow Renewal...

And with this, our story begins... (actually it continues since it's been 10 years in the making :love:)

Oh yay a Disney VR!!! Congratulations! A cruise will be so wonderful for you and your family. And btw, your children are beautiful! I can't wait to read more as you plan!

Can't wait to hear more!! I am contemplating one in Nov, 2011 for our 15th (without the kids or anyone else I think:hug:).
Details please!!

Thanks for all the kind words!

So let me tell you how we met...
I did that thing... the one every girl knows is not cool. I dated my best friends ex. It was totally with her approval. I swear!!!!! They had broken up three years earlier and both gone on to date others. She was actually engaged. I had just been through a tough breakup. I had been engaged with wedding plans in the works. We all starting going out as a group on weekends with a couple of other friends. Over a period of six months, I started to realize that we had a lot in common. We both had careers and wanted to "settle" down. I had always been accused of being to "responsible" for my age... We started to harmlessly flirt - and I liked it! So musta he cuz he called my best friend and begged permission to ask me "out"!
Our first date was 13 years ago - this Memorial Day. We decided to go jet skiing which was neat cuz I got to check him out in a wet suit :eek: which I liked as well! The date extended to dinner... then a movie... then we just decided we didn't want to leave each other (insert the bow chicka bow wow music). C'mon we'd known each other for six years by now... LOL!
The days turned into weeks and then into months. Our relationship was SO perfect :hug:! We started talking about the future and looking for rings! We took a romantic trip up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire that included a jacuzzi suite and a Christmas tree expedition on a snowy mountain top. It was there that we searched for our "perfect" Christmas tree. Little did I know that he was going to place a "Will You Marry Me?" ornament on it's boughs before we cut it down... I saw it a screamed which drew a crowd - but it was only cuz I was so excited and happy!!! That evening was devine. He bought bride and groom wedding flutes that we drank Dom Perignon from in a huge bubble bath. Roses and rose petals filled the candlelite room (obviously prearranged and organized with the hotel staff). He lavished me with gifts! How could I not marry this man????? So I did...
scan0004-1.jpg

On September 30, 2000, I married the man of my dreams! Oh and BTW - that best friend was my maid of honor (just in case you were worried). It was a lovely outdoor ceremony on top of a mountain. The weather was beautiful and warm with few clouds in the sky. We honeymooned at Disney & on DCL...

It was Magic...

:yay::yay::yay:
We received our confirmation email securing our Vow Renewal for our cruise in February. Our coordinator is Shanda. Anyone have any experience with her? When we inquired about the date she seemed very pleasant...
According to her, there will a a couple of onboard venues for our vow renewal, however, since the boat is still under construction, she is unsure where they will be. Apparently, only one wedding happens a day, so they should be no conflict in securing the outdoor spot :cutie:! Our wedding ceremony was outdoors - I'd really like this one to be as well!!! I understand a change if it rains, of course...
So it looks like, at this point, we will be having 7 guests in addition to the 6 of us (MIL, SIL, 2 nephews, SIL's fiancee, & his 2 kiddos). The vow renewal was not planned when we booked the cruise so there was no motivation to encourage others to join us. Now, I wish my mother could come, but the left over staterooms on our sailing are showing up as cat 5 which may be too costly for her. On the off chance our foster daughter goes home (since her transition starts in August) then I will ask my mother to join us in that stateroom.
Do you think I should go to the formality of sending out invitations? I love some of the ones I have seen in these threads! I found this one on ebay (I would pick different colors)!
BhgVqYwBWkKGrHqQOKigErypgJQTBLJPv6c.jpg

you can order a small number for $4.50 each which seems more economical than purchasing all the supplies and doing it myself. I only need two or three (right now). What do you think???

congrats!! :goodvibes You should totally send out formal invites again, it's part of the fun in doing a vow renewal! Those look great. I agree that if you're only needing 2-3 invites, just purchase them. Making them can be pretty time consuming and the supplies could very well cost more than what you'd pay someone else. Good luck! Excited to read more popcorn::

Your story is so cute. I can't wait to read more! The fast you are a foster family is amazing!! You family is adorable and congratulatoins on 10 years.

The fact you are a foster family is amazing!!
That's just part of our journey becoming a family over the last ten years. There's been tons of smiles :goodvibes and tears :scared:. We are strong. We make it through every day loving each other and our children. That makes involving our children in this vow renewal VERY important!

Our kiddos are 9, 8, 6, & 3. My oldest, Kayla, is VERY excited for the vow renewal. She wants to be the maid of honor~but throw rose petals as well!My son, Tyler, likes to get dressed up in "handsome clothes" and is honored to be his daddy's best man! Our baby, Mackenzie, wants to dress like Cinderella in a puffy fancy dress! & as I mentioned earlier, we are unsure if our foster child will be with us on this cruise even though she REALLY wants to and asked every day to come :confused: - we have to wait and she what her future holds... Here they are at MK this past November!
008.jpg

So... I have been day dreaming about our Vow Renewal every day! It's still 9 1/2 months away but It's all I can think about! I am really looking forward to it!

Ray, the kids, and I have decided a few of the basics... We want to go with the tropical style flowers for the bouquet and boutinerre. I can't seem to find a pic of the bouquet to post. We also like the contemporary design cake which has two tiers and is round. I think we'll get marble with buttercre4am frosting! I'd like to see if we can have pink incorporated into the bouquet and cake since our colors will be pink and white!

ContemporaryCake1.jpg

Since our kiddos are an important part of our ceremony, I have already picked out the girls' dresses! They are very poofy and princess like! All pink with satin ribbon and tiny faux pink pearls! I included pics of the bodice and hem! The girls love them!

scans008.jpg

scans009.jpg

scans010.jpg

I've decided that I will look for dresses at the end of the summer since I am hoping to lose some weight! I'm on diet day #6! I'm also trying hard not to bite my nails so they will be long and beautiful!

Your girls are so cute! They will look lovely in those dresses that you chose and I bet they will be excited to wear them too! It is really great that you guys are such a close family and you are making sure to involve your children in the VR.

I couldn't resist! I said I was going to wait... but I passed a bridal shop and just HAD to stop in. It was a very small boutique - and had very few dresses but ALOT of prom dresses. Needless to say, I found only one dress I liked, but it looked akward on me. I will continue to search.... :)

I don't blame you for not being able to pass the bridal shop lol they are like magnetic! And you might as well try on a bunch of dresses and find one that you are in love with - there is nothing to lose and it is so much fun! Good luck with the search!

Ray & I heard today that our foster child will be returning home next month :sad:. We had reserved a spot for her in our cruise reservations just in case, but now it is not needed. We decided to invite my mother (as a gift) which she was happy to accept:banana:! I was so excited to hear she would be at our Vow Renewal on the Disney Dream:banana::banana::banana:!
But then... she asked if we could add my stepfather. I didn't think he'd even want to come. They have horses and no one available to watch them if they go on vacation - so they usually stay close to home. I called DCL. Our staterooms can hold 4 people each, however, our category is sold out :worried:! I guess they only allow so many people per category :confused3...
I REALLY need some Disney magic to clear up some spots in our category so I can add him :tinker:!!! Please say a prayer!!! I would love to have him along to celebrate our Vow Renewal!!!!

Hello Massachusetts from Rhode Island !!
Congrats on 10th Anniversary Vow Renewal. Wished I had thought of that. We have been to WDW on our 13th and on the Wonder on our 15th. My anniversary is October 1st.

Good luck and may some pixie dust come your way in order to get the additional cabin you need. pixiedust:

Your children are beautiful. :cutie: The dresses are adorable. If my daughter wasn't 12 it would be something I would choose.

My oldest daughter is 9. She is borderline "cute-sie". She's starting to like more grown-up dresses, but this one STILL made the cut - and I was able to find one to match for our 4 year old! I told her she could be the MOH but she still wants to throw flowers too! LOL!

Hello Massachusetts from Rhode Island !!:

Hello Rhode Island! We love coming to Providence!!!

Good luck and may some pixie dust come your way in order to get the additional cabin you need. pixiedust:

Thanks for the pixie dust! It worked - kinda! My SIL had a spot available in her room so we booked my step father there (even though he'll sleep in the same room as my mother):rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1!!!! So he is officially BOOKED! Yeah!!!!

Over the weekend, I went to Michael's to look at their selection of silk flowers. I really want there to be alot of floral touches at the VR ceremony. I really wanted an alter arrangement - but it is NOT an add-on option according to the paperwork (something about refrigeration space). They had a great silk alter arrangement made out of an extra large decorative vase, a glass bowl and lots of silk flowers. It was about 3 1/2 feet tall and would have looked great! I was pretty sure I could replicate it- so I spent an hour picking out the flowers to match the "tropical" bouquet. As I walked out the door, I realized I would NEVER be able to transport something that big from Massachusetts to Flordia. I could pack my glue gun and go to town while on the cruise, but I would waste my first evening worrying about completing the arrangement instead of relaxing....:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3
So... I will try to think up another plan...

In the meantime, I picked up a white flower girl basket at Michael's for $6.00. With some of the silk flowers, I decorated it for the girls to hold with the tropical theme of the DCL "tropical" bouquet...

f001.jpg

f002.jpg

f005.jpg

I even tried to throw a "hidden" mickey in there with crystals... All for $8.00! Way better than the $55.00 DCL requests (although I do have to purchase petals still)!

You are very talented, the purse looks beautiful!! It goes really well with the tropical theme, and I love the hidden mickey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter