Mom asked to leave Applebee's for breastfeeding

The reason that the term "Oriental" to describe Asian people has fallen out of favor is that it is Western-centric. It describes a whole people by the direction their land happens to lie in relation to the western world.

While I wouldn't call it racist, I can see why some call it offensive.

I also wonder how she was feeding him since it wasn't a baby it was a toddler. It was an almost 2 yr old. Wonder if she was one of the expose everything and let the kid run around and come nurse Mothers. Even if she was holding him a 2 yr old is a lot harder to keep private. A lot more is going to be exposed. And was she doing it tastefully or letting everything hang out? which no one wants to see while eating.

Truthfully I don't think 2 yr olds need to be nursed in a restaurant. It isn't like they need to get all their nutrition from the breast as a baby would. I'm sure the kid is on table food and could have waited. That is my opinion.

I agree.

I also wonder how she was feeding him since it wasn't a baby it was a toddler. It was an almost 2 yr old. Wonder if she was one of the expose everything and let the kid run around and come nurse Mothers. Even if she was holding him a 2 yr old is a lot harder to keep private. A lot more is going to be exposed. And was she doing it tastefully or letting everything hang out? which no one wants to see while eating.

Truthfully I don't think 2 yr olds need to be nursed in a restaurant. It isn't like they need to get all their nutrition from the breast as a baby would. I'm sure the kid is on table food and could have waited. That is my opinion.

This is exactly what I thought when I seen her on Katie.

PSA - this term is no longer PC (had to correct my mother the other day). Asian is now the correct term (Oriental was a PC term when I was growing up, though).

Carry on...

In all seriousness, thank you. I grew up with it being correct and would have been slammed on the boards if I used it!:flower3:

Probably because as her 2 year old was running around the table in between "sips" mom was sitting there with her ****s on display. As much as I love my oriental chicken salad, seeing a half naked woman sitting at the table next to me would probably get my attention over my meal.

I'm kidding, sort of. I think there is more to the story and we aren't getting it from the innocent mom who just wanted to feed her hungry toddler.

I don't think I saw those details in the story. Why would you make up what happened?

I agree with this.

lovemy3girls said:
I take offense to this statement. I have breasfed 5 babies, currently nursing my 10 month old. I nursed 2 of my children past their second birthdays. I nursed in public when I needed to, I did it discreetly and certainly NOT for attention! I was following the reccomendation of the World Health Organization. This is how my toddlers got nutrition, comfort, hydration on hot days, and bonding time with me. TV.

By two years old my child was well "bonded" with me and drinking out of a cup if they needed to stay hydrated. Comfort was given by me hugging, not whipping out my ****s every time they needed confort. I dont care what the WHO says- by two they are eating full meals from the table and drinking from cups, the only reason to continue breast feeding by that point is for the MOM not the child, moms are unable to let that go.

I dont care what the WHO says- by two they are eating full meals from the table and drinking from cups, the only reason to continue breast feeding by that point is for the MOM not the child, moms are unable to let that go.

So the WHO, an organization supported by doctors and scientists with years and years of collective research and education, don't know whats best for toddlers when it comes to breastfeeding and nutrition, but you do? What exactly are your credentials?
Care to share the science and research behind your statement "The only reason to continue breast feeding to that point in for the mom and not the child"? I'd love to see your supporting documentation because to a layman like me that sounds an awful lot like an uneducated opinion based on anecdotal evidence.
(all though breastfeeding for the first 2 years does indeed offer health benefits to mom as well, a significant reduction in her risk for breast cancer)

So the WHO, an organization supported by doctors and scientists with years and years of collective research and education, don't know whats best for toddlers when it comes to breastfeeding and nutrition, but you do? What exactly are your credentials?
Care to share the science and research behind your statement "The only reason to continue breast feeding to that point in for the mom and not the child"? I'd love to see your supporting documentation because to a layman like me that sounds an awful lot like an uneducated opinion based on anecdotal evidence.
(all though breastfeeding for the first 2 years does indeed offer health benefits to mom as well, a significant reduction in her risk for breast cancer)

Thank you, you took the words right outta my mouth :)

As far as kids eating a full meal by age 2, maybe some kids but not my son. He was a very picky eater and my doctor was in full agreement that extended breastfeeding was the best thing for him. Didnt have to put him on pediasure or any other supplements, and thanks to my breastmilk he never got sick. for you to say breastfeeding at that age is because the mom cant let go is ridiculous. It was a huge commintment to breastfeed for 2 years and i did it for my children, not myself. i will hopefully reap the health benefits, though, that i am getting by nursing for so many years (8 years total between my 5 kids so far) I fully support extended breastfeeding for as long as mother and child wish.

By two years old my child was well "bonded" with me and drinking out of a cup if they needed to stay hydrated. Comfort was given by me hugging, not whipping out my ****s every time they needed confort. I dont care what the WHO says- by two they are eating full meals from the table and drinking from cups, the only reason to continue breast feeding by that point is for the MOM not the child, moms are unable to let that go.

Then don't breastfeed your 2 yr old. Why do you (and others) need to have an opinion on what someone else with a different opinion (backed up by lots of medical research) chooses to do?

I don't think I saw those details in the story. Why would you make up what happened?

Since I've already addressed your question you can just re-read in case you missed it.

I guess you missed where I said I was kidding and that I think there is more to her story than what we are getting. We don't know what happened. You are ready to condemn him on her word, I'm not and I wonder if his word would condemn her.

I gave an example of how she could offend someone (which was the joke). And yes, if I was staring at a pair of breasts while eating I'd find it offensive. Watching a mother nurse her baby, or in this case a toddler, not so much.

For all we know she could have been sitting there on display as her toddler was toddling around, going back and forth for sips when he/she was thirsty. Or he/she could have been laying in their mother's arms suckling away and nobody was the wiser. We have no idea what went on in that restaurant except what she says.

Well, to be fair the WHO recommends breastfeeding exclusively until 6 months. By 1 year they should be eating family foods 3-4 times daily and breastfeeding is in addition up to 2 years old OR beyond. It also says its fine to give regular milk instead at that age.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/21/en/index.html

As far as the "calming" effect, well, I followed other methods that were just as highly recommended and letting my kids learn how to self soothe. I never just popped a bottle in their mouths to calm them down unless it was bedtime.

I take offense to this statement. I have breasfed 5 babies, currently nursing my 10 month old. I nursed 2 of my children past their second birthdays. I nursed in public when I needed to, I did it discreetly and certainly NOT for attention! I was following the reccomendation of the World Health Organization. This is how my toddlers got nutrition, comfort, hydration on hot days, and bonding time with me. I don't understand how nursing is a problem for people. Women show a lot more breast wearing bikinis or low cut shirts. In fact most of the time you wouldn't even know my baby was nursing unless you look closely. I am proud to be a breastfeeding mom. I agree that women should cover up in public and be discreet about it, and I believe in this case the woman was. I saw her interview on TV.

But not every mom cares to be discrete. There are some out there who use the fact that they are breastfeeding to show off their "girls" to the world. We have no way of knowing if the mom at Applebees was like you or not.

Well, to be fair the WHO recommends breastfeeding exclusively until 6 months. By 1 year they should be eating family foods 3-4 times daily and breastfeeding is in addition up to 2 years old OR beyond. It also says its fine to give regular milk instead at that age.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/21/en/index.html

As far as the "calming" effect, well, I followed other methods that were just as highly recommended and letting my kids learn how to self soothe. I never just popped a bottle in their mouths to calm them down unless it was bedtime.

Maybe you linked the wrong page? That one goes to one about how long to exclusively breastfeed.

Yes yes yes.

Yes, that is your opinion. Obviously this is not the opinion of the mother of the 20 month old in the article.

Do, I think she has a problem? No, just different ideas about breastfeeding then I have. The child was 20 months old, not 5.

What if the child was 5 years old? 10 years old? 13 years old? If there is no age limit, then these ages should be acceptable as well.

Maybe you linked the wrong page? That one goes to one about how long to exclusively breastfeed.

It does state that exclusively for 6 months, but it also says they can start introducing regular foods and gives the amounts. However, I do question a report that says you have to be so careful because so many infants worldwide become malnourished at this point. Um, maybe in other countries, but have you seen the babies in this country? And with all the talk about how kids are over weight, I hardly think that is a problem, so I do question what they say. I am sure there are parents out there that are unable to supply the needed food due to monetary issues, but then again in my mind these would be the same moms that aren't getting proper nutrition and therefore the babies aren't either, even though being breast fed. The whole thing seems to a little off to me.

YOu can find just as many pediatricians that will tell you that there is no benefit to breast feeding a 2 year old, that they need to get off mom and start with real food.

It does state that exclusively for 6 months, but it also says they can start introducing regular foods and gives the amounts. However, I do question a report that says you have to be so careful because so many infants worldwide become malnourished at this point. Um, maybe in other countries, but have you seen the babies in this country? And with all the talk about how kids are over weight, I hardly think that is a problem, so I do question what they say. I am sure there are parents out there that are unable to supply the needed food due to monetary issues, but then again in my mind these would be the same moms that aren't getting proper nutrition and therefore the babies aren't either, even though being breast fed. The whole thing seems to a little off to me.

YOu can find just as many pediatricians that will tell you that there is no benefit to breast feeding a 2 year old, that they need to get off mom and start with real food.

Wait...do you think that most moms who are breastfeeding until 2 aren't also giving their kids real food too? Of course they are getting "real food".

And you know of many pediatricians that say there is NO benefit? There is an unquestionable immune benefit for as long as the baby is breastfeeding. There are piles of research that outline the health benefits of extended breastfeeding until 24 months, I'd love to see the research that states otherwise.
There are quite a few (if not many) toddlers and babies in this country who are fed junk, and probably are malnourished (maybe not starving, but also not receiving the nutrition their growing bodies need). Chicken nuggets, juice, and french fries are not a good nutritional trade, and children on the "typical kid food" diet would probably benefit from the nutrition in breast milk.

Wait...do you think that most moms who are breastfeeding until 2 aren't also giving their kids real food too? Of course they are getting "real food".

And you know of many pediatricians that say there is NO benefit? There is an unquestionable immune benefit for as long as the baby is breastfeeding. There are piles of research that outline the health benefits of extended breastfeeding until 24 months, I'd love to see the research that states otherwise.
There are quite a few (if not many) toddlers and babies in this country who are fed junk, and probably are malnourished (maybe not starving, but also not receiving the nutrition their growing bodies need). Chicken nuggets, juice, and french fries are not a good nutritional trade, and children on the "typical kid food" diet would probably benefit from the nutrition in breast milk.

I think the point is kids that age are eating "real food" so this isn't a case of needing to feed a hungry baby by breastfeeding.

My guess is she wasn't being discreet about it if the manager came over before they had even ordered and felt the need to call the police.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter