• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mobile Magic and Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich incompatible?

MFfan310

Earning My Ears
Well, I'm headed on a trip to WDW with some of my family and friends in late September, and I can't wait.

I also just got a new cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S III for AT&T) that runs Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) to replace my iPhone. When I try to download Mobile Magic from Google Play, it said that my phone is "unsupported", even though it's supposed to work with Android 2.2 or higher. I then read where other people are also having problems with Mobile Magic after upgrading their existing phones (example: HTC Rezound for Verizon) to Android 4.0. I've contacted Disney about the incompatibility, but I haven't got a response back yet.

Has anyone else had Android 4.0-related Mobile Magic problems? If so, are there any good unofficial apps that work with Android 4.0 in case Disney doesn't fix Mobile Magic by the time of our vacation? Thanks in advance.

Same here. I won't let hubby get one until after our trip so he still has his thunderbolt. I wrote an email to contact under the app, but haven't received a response

My DH develops mobile apps and there have been some that would not work on ICS and it seems to be something that has caught devs by surprise. Since it's not just this app I'm thinking it may take time for Disney to get all their apps updated.

I have also emailed the developers. I didnt get much of a response.
I also know that the app will run on a phone that has ICS/JB. I have it running on my Galaxy Nexus. I just updated to the new 3.0 version from 2.2.1.
I would love to share the magic with everyone. I just do not know the best way of doing it.

So who wants to volunteer to be the test dummy? Shoot me a PM with your google email. and of course I take no responsibility if it blows up your phone.

I am on Verizon Wireless with a Droid Razr Maxx running ICS and my Mobile Magic runs fine.

If course it will run on the Maxx and sg2 neither phone had ICS out of the box. It will also run on jelly bean. Which is my point. The devs are just too lazy to fix the settings for the play store to allow it to be installed on native ICS phone. I can email the apk to who ever wants it for a nexus or the new SG iii phone. I pulled the apk off my droid 1 and installed it on my nexus before I had jelly bean and then updated it to the new version after I rom 'd my phone to run jb4.1

We just got back from our trip and my BILs Samsung Galaxy Nexus with ICS would not run the app due to incompatibility.

Disney does have a mobile website that has similar information available so he used that instead. I dont know the address, but I know it was on the ads for moblie magic on the Disney Buses.

Ugh, this makes me crazy! I'm planning on upgrading to the S3 in early August and we're going to Disney late August. The Disney apps are one of the things I most want the phone for! Verizon is my carrier. Hoping this is resolved or I'm going to be one unhappy camper with my new phone!

If course it will run on the Maxx and sg2 neither phone had ICS out of the box. It will also run on jelly bean. Which is my point. The devs are just too lazy to fix the settings for the play store to allow it to be installed on native ICS phone. I can email the apk to who ever wants it for a nexus or the new SG iii phone. I pulled the apk off my droid 1 and installed it on my nexus before I had jelly bean and then updated it to the new version after I rom 'd my phone to run jb4.1

Ooo, ooo, ooo could you send it to me? I can PM you with my email address.

The app was working for me last night in DHS. I have a Razr with 4.0 installed before installing the app.

If you already have it installed on a phone, use ES File Explorer to create a backup. Then install it from that backup file. It will probably no longer get updates though. If you are rooted you can reconnect the market link with Titanium.

yes of course. you can be my test. My phone is rooted, so things just work easier on it. Let me know what phone you are putting it on too.

For anyone interested, I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus, installing the apk Daddee sent me worked like a charm! So happy to have my Mobile Magic app back :thumbsup2

ukcatfan, thanks for the tip, didn't know that about Titanium!

Are we talking about software or food here? Ice cream sandwiches and jelly beans? ;) Android should've stayed with numbers. :)

T
Are we talking about software or food here? Ice cream sandwiches and jelly beans? ;) Android should've stayed with numbers. :)

There are still numbers. ICS is 4.0. JB is 4.1. Gingerbread is 2.3. There have been names for each version pretty much all along. Back in '09, version 1.5 was Cupcake.

If you could send me the apk that would be AWESOME!! I just got my Galaxy SIII and am going to Disneyland in 2 weeks. I was really looking forward to using the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter