MM Warriors Recipes

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
Courtesy of Nell

Variation on Sausage cassarole

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 bag frozen whole green beans (or fresh, canned whatever you have)
measured sausage for each person eating (say 3-4 oz per person)
2 whole garlic cloves chopped up
dried parm/romano cheese mix
1 small (I think 4 oz. can tomato sauce)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon flax oil for each person eating.

Put sausage in baking dish on 400 degrees. Cook it until it's brown and a lot of the fat has cooked out. Take it out of the oven, chop it into slices. A spatula works great for this. Being careful not to burn yourself, rinse the fat out of the pan and off the sausage. Add the frozen green beans, stir the mix and put the pan back in the oven for about twenty minutes. Take the pan back out and add the chopped garlic and small can of tomato stirring again and back in the oven about ten minutes or until it's not watery and the sauce is sticking to the beans and sausage. Take the pan out and shut the oven off. Add in the oil if you choose to use it and sprinkle the cassarole liberally with the dried cheese. Now it's ready to serve.

*If you use canned or fresh beans you'll have to vary the cooking times. When it's done you want the beans soft and no loose liquid in the pan.

*The oil is mostly to tip the omega balance from the sausage. It's not needed for the recipe to taste right.

Lisa's Frittata recipe (It's very yummy, I can vouch for it.)
Vegetable Frittata

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I modified our favoite weekend breakfast where I used to cook up the vegetables and scramble in eggs. I like to precook the veggies this way because the baking time is much less than other frittata recipes I've found. I usually cook this while I'm making another dinner - then we have it for the week.

Vegetable Frittata

1 orange or yellow pepper sliced (makes you think you see more egg
2 med. zucchini quartered and sliced
about 10 mushrooms sliced
handfull frozen chopped spinach
1 can green chilis drained (optional)
1 can artichoke hearts drained (optional)
2 handfulls reduced-fat shredded cheese. We like Mexican.
9 eggs
1 or 2 low-carb tortillas depending on the size. A large one is 6 grams, so it's less than 1 gram per serving

In large skillet melt low-fat butter (We use Smart Balance)
begin to saute the veggies with the ones that need longer to cook first. I put them in that order above. Meantime, beat eggs and add torn up tortilla to the eggs to use as a binder.

When veggies are tender, stir in egg mixture and 2 handfulls of cheese. If your pan is oven proof, stir everything around and smooth it out for baking. Otherwise, pour into a baking dish with straight sides. I like my round pan because I cut this up into pie-shaped servings.

Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until edges are golden and eggs are firm.

I make this once or twice a week and we have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch for 4 days for the two of us. Microwave a slice for 1 minute if you want it warm. Great with a bit of salsa and a little scoop of cottage cheese on the side. Tons of free veggies and only 1 egg and less than 1 carb per serving. Very healthy, satisfying and delicious!

Hope you like it!

Very Basic Onion Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-4 Onions (depending on size)
4 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons butter
salt to taste

The onions have to be precooked.

Cut the onions paper thin in rings (or half rings)
Melt the butter and cook the onions covered in the butter on low heat. You want them to cook until they look semi transparent and are lightly browned. Be careful not to overcook them.

Turn the heat off and let the onions sit for a couple of hours. Old recipes say to let them sit all day but I get scared of food poisoning.

Add the beef broth and simmer the soup for about a half hour or so until the onions are pretty much dissolved into the broth. Add salt to taste.

If you'd like to garnish this with low carb bread and cheese, it will be more like traditional french onion soup.

Thai Peanut Curry Skillet

I found this recipe on Linda's Lowcarb Recipe site. Makes 4 servings at 6g net carbs BUT that includes the green beans which are free for us. There's only 1/2 coconut milk for the whole recipe so I'm thinking this is a free recipe for us. Let me know what you think. I haven't made it yet but I am this weekend. I'm thinking it would be good with broccoli, bean sprouts, celery too. I'll let you know if I think it needs to be tweaked in any way.

THAI PEANUT TURKEY CURRY SKILLET
20 ounces ground turkey, 85% lean
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces fresh or frozen green beans, cooked
4 green onions, chopped

Sauce:
1 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon ginger, grated, or 1/8 teaspoon dry ginger
1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1/2 cup coconut milk

Mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup. In a large skillet or wok, brown the meat with the garlic; drain the grease. Add the green beans. Pour in the sauce mixture and mix well. Cook untl the vegetables are heated through. Sprinkle with the green onions.

Makes 4-6 servings

I checked the carb count for coconut milk and it's only 4 carbs per 1/2 cup. That would be 1 carb per serving if you ate 1/4 of the recipe, less than 1 if you ate 1/6. Kitchen Witch, What do you think? Does this look like a free food to you?

Fish "breading" recipe

I have a fish 'breading' recipe that we love and it is very legal. I got it from Dr Perricone's book The Perricone Promise, which is full of great anti-inflammatory recipes.

I make about 4 times as much as I need for two pieces of fish and freeze the rest of the topping in meal-sized containers. It thaws out in a few minutes and that way I only do the chopping once a month or so.

Really quick if you have a food processer. It would probably work to do this in a blender as well.

1/2 cup almonds or hazelnuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
1 T organic lemon zest (zest of one lemon) I bought a micro planer for this
1/4 cup parmesan
dash of sea salt and fresh pepper

I pulse the almonds, then add the parsley into the food processer. Mix the rest in a bowl and apply generously to the top of salmon or halibut fillets. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake at 350 for less than 10 minutes. (Check fish for flakiness to determine) The nuts should be browned, but not too dark.

Dr. Perricone dredges the fish then cooks it in the olive oil in a skillet, but it's messier to do it that way.

This is delicious! Use sea salt to add to the crunchiness and it's less sodium than table salt.

Halibut Veracruz

Craving authentic Mexican food? Have tomatoes growing in your garden? This one is for you! Takes 10 minutes to prepare, plus chopping time, so maybe 15.

This is evidently a traditional dish in Mexico.

5 ripe tomatoes or 1 or 2 cans chopped toms, depending on how much fish you are making
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c olive oil, divided
2 T capers
1 tsp. seeded and minced serrano chile - I used one chile
1/4 c sliced Spanish olives
1/4 tsp oregano
6 - 6oz. halibut fillets
salt and pepper
2 tsp. butter (I use Smart Balance)

Skip this part if you are using canned toms:

Place tomatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Turn, toms, bake 20 more mins. or until skins are blistered and lightly browned. Pulse tomatoes and pan juices in a food processor until roughly chopped.

Saute onion in 2 T olive oil 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and serrano, saute 15 seconds. Add olives, capers chopped toms, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Remove from heat, stir in orgeano.

Sprinkle halibut with salt and pepper. Melt butter with remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook halibut 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with sauce.

For sauce for 4 fillets, I used one can of chopped toms and kept the other ingredients about the same. Maybe I could have stretched the sauce more, but it was soooo good it was nice to be generous with it.

Served it with some sauted zucchini cooked at the same time so dinner took 15 minutes.

Taco Seasoning

Packaged taco seasoning has about 3 carbs so I made up my own. It's medium spicy and grows a bit on your tongue so taste test slowly before you add more

1.25 lbs. ground turkey breast, browned

3/4 c water
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

add above to browned meat and cook until liquid is absorbed. You can add salsa if preferred.

I know Cheryl isn't here yet, but I believe she is going to join us. Thus, I am using her recipes too!

Turkey Kielbasa "Stir Fry" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why I call this a stir fry...I guess because I don't know how else to classify it! I used to make this with cubed potatoes and sliced carrots and serve it over rice...but...those are a no-no right now, so I took those out, and added cabbage.....it's very tasty...and totally free!!

1 lb. turkey kielbasa - thinly sliced into rounds
1/2 head of cabbage - thickly sliced
5 cloves of garlic - diced
1 white onion - sliced
1 bunch of broccoli - cut into bite size pieces
olive oil
1 can veggie broth
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
parsley
basil
sage
rosemary
thyme

In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan...don't skimp too much. Add the garlic, kielbasa and cabbage. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.

Sautee until cabbage starts to wilt. (I like my veggies on the crunchy side, so cook longer if you like them softer) Add the onions and cook until translucent.

Add veggie broth, broccoli, herbs and spices (to taste) and cook to desired tenderness.

That's it! Very simple! Experiment with your favorite veggies to make it your own!

Lemon Cheesecake Treat

I just threw this together last night so the measurements are approximate. Add or subtract sweetener and extract to your liking. Try other extracts too!

1/3 c. whipped Philly cream cheese
3-4 T light cream
few drops liquid Splenda or 1-2 packets
1/2 t lemon extract

Beat at high speed, pour into bowl and refrigerate for a little while

Flax Crackers

Ingredients:
•1 cup flax seed meal
•1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
•1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup water
Preparation:
Heat oven to 400 F.

1) Mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, remove the paper and go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces

Choco/Peanut/Coconut Shake

Oh, boy! Did I ever get my first attempt at a shake down pat! Puts Atkins to shame! The challenge was the base - didn't want to use soy milk, etc. because of the carbs. Silken Tofu was a great choice. Makes a generous 12+ oz. glass and adds up to 4 carbs.

4 oz. Silken tofu = 0 carbs and makes it smooth!
1/4 c Lite coconut milk = 1 carb
1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder = 3 carbs
2 heaping T cocoa - free
2 T natural peanut butter - free
2 tsp vanilla
1 T ground flax seed - free
handfull of ice

No splenda! Yippee!

Mock Mashed Potatoes Variation

This one seems to be more popular with some than the one in our book:

Mock Mashed Potatoes

1 medium head cauliflower
1 tablespoon softened reduced fat cream cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan
1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 to 8 minutes or until well done. Strain well; do not let cool. Pat the cooked cauliflower, between several layers of paper towels, until they're completely dry.

Using a hand held blender or a food processor, puree the hot cooked cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, chicken base and pepper until almost smooth.

Serve hot with whole butter pats and chives or with gravy just like real mashed potatoes!

Lemon Cheesecake Pie Filling

This is pretty much the same as the Lemon Cheesecake Treat but enough to fill a pie shell. Adjust lemon extract and sweetener to taste.

16 oz. Whipped Philly Creamcheese
1 cup lite cream
2 t. lemon extract
14 drops EZ-Sweetz (liquid sucralose) I'm guessing 1/2 c. Splenda
Zest of 1 small lemon

Whip all together at high speed. Pour into cool piecrust and chill in fridge.

Banana Nut Pancakes

These require a specialty product but they're worth it! Really good. I don't use any sugar free syrup because most of those are sugar alcohols. Just drizzle with a little butter, cinnamon and splenda that's been melted together in the microwave. Recipe makes 3 good sized pancakes. (I smooth out the batter after putting on the griddle)

1 egg
3/4 scoop (Banana Nut) Lean Dessert Protein Shake mix
2 T flax meal
1/2 t baking powder
3 T (or more) 1/2&1/2
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Dump it all in a small glass bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together until blended. Spray griddle and cook on medium/high heat as you would any pancakes.These are a 5x5.

Step Two Recipe

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Makes 6 muffins

3 eggs
2 Tblsp butter, melted
2 Tblsp half and half
3 Tblsp splenda
2 Tblsp water
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp almond extract
¼ cup sifted coconut flour
3/8 tsp baking powder
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, dry if rinsed

Blend together eggs, butter, half and half, water, splenda, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Combine flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter until there are no lumps. Stir in blueberries. Pour batter into greased or lined muffin cups. Bake at 400º F (205º C) for 16-18 minutes.

Notes: Bob's Red mill coconut flour is available in some stores, I got mine online from amazon - Aloha Nu, which gives these nutritionals. Don't be worried if the batter seems runny, coconut flour absorbs a huge amount of liquid and it will be fine after baking. (It also smells fabulous but there is no coconut flavor in the finished muffins.)

Nutrional data per muffin: NET CARBS 4 g
1 muffin = 127 calories
fat = 8 g (5 g sat, no trans)
chol = 118 mg
sod = 200 mg
Total carb = 8 g
dietary fiber = 4 g
sugars = 3 g
prot = 5 g

Salsa/ Pico de Gallo

1 medium to large tomato
1 yellow onion
about 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
2-3 serrano chiles or jalapenos (I think serranos have a better flavor)
juice from 1 lime
lime zest
salt and pepper to taste

For salsa, combine all ingredients in a food processor and proceed to chop. Be careful not to process too much as it will get watery. For pico de gallo, rough chop all ingredients and mix together in a bowl. Serve with zucchini, squash, and or cucumber. I also like to use as a salad dressing or a steak sauce. It is very versatile.

Pie Crust

PRESS-in-PAN PIE CRUST
(from the book: Six Ingredients or Less, Low-carb cooking)

1 cup almond flour
3 tsp. splenda
1 tbsp. butter, chilled
1 large egg yolk

1. preheat oven to 350. Place flour and splenda in a bowl. Cut in butter.

2. Add egg yolk and mix until smooth. Press into the bottom of a 9" pie pan.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Net Carb: 2 (free item)

From M. Ricca's MMN FB

TUSCAN KALE CHIPS

Ingredients:
12 large Tuscan kale leaves, rinsed, dried, cut lengthwise in half, center ribs and stems removed
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 250°F. Toss kale with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange leaves in single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes for flat leaves and up to 33 minutes for wrinkled leaves. Transfer leaves to rack to cool.

No Counted Carbs Easy Frosty Chocolate Treat

1. Add six ice cubes to the blender
2. Add a glass of ice water (about 8 oz)
3. Add a good size splash of half and half
4. Add 2 hefty tablespoons baking cocoa (no sugar)
5. Add sweetener (I use 2 packets truvia)

Blend on the high speed until all the ice is pulverized. You'll need a spoon and a straw to eat this.

Variation: May add a tablespoon of peanut butter or a tablespoon of no sugar coconut milk.

*This also works with vanilla whey protein powder. Adding the whey will make it a 5x5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter