Mission space ride caution

I love the ride!!! I am not too worried about ANY rides but all the warnings ad nausem that they provide I get all worked up about me or my kids who don't mind thrill rides either, but I swear by the time I hear all 20 warnings I am sure we are all gonna blow! It all ends well!:rotfl2:

Not just several - many!

Agreed! They warn you so many times in so many not so subtle ways that the warnings make you think the ride is far worse than it is. They clearly warn about motion sickness and tight space.

I have ridden both orange and green and there is really no difference other than I made the mistake of lifting my head once and looking to the side on the "spinning" one and spent the next few moments waiting for the ride to end before I had to use the motion sickness bag. My mistake, I had ridden the non spinning so many times that I just failed to pay attention during the ride not to fight the force :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Well, now you're talking a pure "pick your poison" situation -- do you want to have a panic attack, or start puking from motion sickness...

If you're both claustrophobic and suffer from motion sickness, this is one ride that was designed to make you miserable.

obviously, I don't suffer from either malady

I suffer from Meniere's, an inner ear liquid imbalance problem, and a bit of claustrophobia. DH talked me onto the ride. Once. Motion sickness definitely overruled the claustrophobia.

And no matter what they say, there are no good spots in Star Tours. I think I scared the poor CM when I left that one and was staggering from side-to-side, looking pale and possibly drunk.

We rode in June twice during our vacation. The first time was great, and all four of us had fun. Then the next time we rode the ride, itdidn't start immediately.
A cast member came on an intercom three or four times telling us the ride would start shortly. It was terrible. I stayed as calm as possible because my two kids were with me. I know we waited at least five minutes, but it felt like forever. What I really had trouble with was I didn't know how long they were going to leave us in there. It was very hard not to panic. An older woman next to us was beating on her door, but they didn't let her off. S
After the ride she came out angry. I stayed calm for the kids. I don't know if I will ever ride again.

A friend of mine was telling me how dangerous some amusement rides can be and they showed me a listing of numerous incidents involving amusement parks. Knowing we were going to Disney, we checked the records of their incidents and violations. (Not that it would stop us from going. Just curious) I was a little surprised by some of what I read.

After reading your post it reminded me of the information we had read. One of the entries was about Mission Space. Within the year of june 2005-2006 paremedics treated 194 Mission Space Riders. Most common complaints were dizziness vomitting and nausea. Of those 194 guests 25 people passed out, 26 people suffered difficulty breathing and 16 people suffered chest pains or irregular heartbeets.

I am sure there are plenty of people who love this ride and may not see it as a challenging ride; but, I am sure you are probably not the only one who has suffered a panic attack on this ride.

Definitely a ride I will cross of my list!

After reading your post it reminded me of the information we had read. One of the entries was about Mission Space. Within the year of june 2005-2006 paremedics treated 194 Mission Space Riders. Most common complaints were dizziness vomitting and nausea. Of those 194 guests 25 people passed out, 26 people suffered difficulty breathing and 16 people suffered chest pains or irregular heartbeets.

I am sure there are plenty of people who love this ride and may not see it as a challenging ride; but, I am sure you are probably not the only one who has suffered a panic attack on this ride.

Definitely a ride I will cross of my list!

Unless you are indeed claustrophobic, you could try the Green side. I would be that most, if not all, of those problems were caused by the spinning side of the Orange. I'm not sure they *had* the Green side in '05/'06.

I'm so odd. It's hard for me to ride the Nemo Subs out at Disneyland; I sit close to the window and look up to see the part with no water (when there's actually water surrounding you, that is) and close my eyes at a certain point when you're pretty close to the wall. But with Mission Space (GREEN, I almost surely won't ride Orange) I personally don't feel like it's closed-in at all once I sit down, and once you have the restraints on and tilt forward just a touch, it's possibly the most relaxing position I've ever been in. I nearly fall asleep at that point each time. So weird.

We rode in June twice during our vacation. The first time was great, and all four of us had fun. Then the next time we rode the ride, itdidn't start immediately.
A cast member came on an intercom three or four times telling us the ride would start shortly. It was terrible. I stayed as calm as possible because my two kids were with me. I know we waited at least five minutes, but it felt like forever. What I really had trouble with was I didn't know how long they were going to leave us in there. It was very hard not to panic. An older woman next to us was beating on her door, but they didn't let her off. S
After the ride she came out angry. I stayed calm for the kids. I don't know if I will ever ride again.

Now this is something that would freak me out!! Its one thing to be in the enclosed space for a short amount of time but, to sit there trapped like that waiting for the ride to begin.... it gives me the chills just thinking about it.

Unless you are indeed claustrophobic, you could try the Green side. I would be that most, if not all, of those problems were caused by the spinning side of the Orange. I'm not sure they *had* the Green side in '05/'06.

I'm so odd. It's hard for me to ride the Nemo Subs out at Disneyland; I sit close to the window and look up to see the part with no water (when there's actually water surrounding you, that is) and close my eyes at a certain point when you're pretty close to the wall. But with Mission Space (GREEN, I almost surely won't ride Orange) I personally don't feel like it's closed-in at all once I sit down, and once you have the restraints on and tilt forward just a touch, it's possibly the most relaxing position I've ever been in. I nearly fall asleep at that point each time. So weird.

see but sometimes that's the problem even with the warnings you just may not know I have lived almost 6 decades, never in my wildest dreams did I think I had a problem with enclosed spaces SM Splsh RNRC etc no problems

January I had to have a cat scan :scared1: it wasn't the noise (although that was annoying) it was what I have to call a real fear & panic attack I lasted just under 8 minutes and had to get out of there Maybe it was the feeling of no control I don't really know Mission Space ???? Not on a bet now !

I'm experiencing that heavy feeling in my chest and losing my breath just from reading this!

Yes they warn you but I had no idea it would affect me so bad. I would have screamed to be let out if I hadn't been trying to keep my son calm. He was screaming to be let out. It was the most awful ride experience I've ever had. My heart raced and I was very nauseous and jittery for an hour afterwards. Never again ever ever.

We really enjoy the ride but unfortunately many ppl ignore the warning that is not only posted but repeated verbally during the wait in line & pre show!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

I don't ride it anymore since I have trouble getting my legs in. Very tight quarters. I'm only 6'4".

Yeah, there's no way. I won't even ride the Orange section just in case something happens and that starts to spin too. Seriously ::yes::! I am more afraid of the spinning but the closed quarters would also bother me although I also, sadly, cannot ride Soarin' :confused3.

On that ride I'm too free feeling, and I'm afraid if the ride had to be stopped, which does happen, then they turn on the lights and your just sitting up there for awhile. I know I'd not survive it lol!!

My claustrophobia is brought on by the perception of being crushed or losing my ability to breath. Concert crowds, playing hide-and-seek as a child, swimming in the ocean, and even a prolonged hug makes me feel like I desperately need to get air. I am able to ride MS because the cabin blows cold air in your face, which relieves the sensation of losing your breath. Until this realization, though, my husband had to calm me with soothing words the first time I rode MS after the cabin closed up. I was able to relax once the fans began blowing air. I really enjoy this ride now.

This ride sounds horrible! What do people like about it ?

Well, there are people who like the sensation of "flying through space" even though you know you are just in a capsule in Florida. Most people enjoy the attraction. Yes, there are people who don't and this is an thread for people who don't enjoy it. But the majority of people who go to Disney World do like it.

Well, there are people who like the sensation of "flying through space" even though you know you are just in a capsule in Florida. Most people enjoy the attraction. Yes, there are people who don't and this is an thread for people who don't enjoy it. But the majority of people who go to Disney World do like it.

:thumbsup2

This ride sounds horrible! What do people like about it ?

This. My family, including kids, love this ride - the full intensity version. I can understand the claustrophobia associated with the control panel, as it does seem to create a rather tight space, so, I am sorry for the OPs plight, but this ride is a must do for us each time.

Why?
I rode it one time because I don't have a problem with claustrophobia, I have an issue with being able to escape - to know that I can free myself when I feel that I am the only one concerned about my safety and well-being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter