Mission space ride caution

MAIMEMAMMA

Earning My Ears
I went to Disney a couple of years ago and tonight I was reminded about my Mission Space ride. I read all the warning or thought I did (not sure about this one) I have claustrophobia, I can go into an elevator but NOT THIS RIDE.

I was the last one in family of 4, and I was okay until the door closed and the control panel got closer. Right before the seats tilted back I had a panic attack. I started shaking my daughter and hitting the door with my cane. I was pushing the fake buttons and just started screaming. I thought I was going to faint. After what seemed like 5 minutes (I am sure it was only seconds) someone from the crew opened the door and freed me.

My daughter husband and granddaughter still get the giggles when we discuss it. I am hoping the "crew" did not see me or really hear me the whole time. I often wondered if they video tape in there and maybe I was on UTUBE.

Anyway just a little not of caution. DO NOT GO ON IF YOU HAVE CLAUSTROPHOBIA. Perhaps Disney could add this to their list of medical conditions. Hope it helps someone.

I went to Disney a couple of years ago and tonight I was reminded about my Mission Space ride. I read all the warning or thought I did (not sure about this one) I have claustrophobia, I can go into an elevator but NOT THIS RIDE.

I was the last one in family of 4, and I was okay until the door closed and the control panel got closer. Right before the seats tilted back I had a panic attack. I started shaking my daughter and hitting the door with my cane. I was pushing the fake buttons and just started screaming. I thought I was going to faint. After what seemed like 5 minutes (I am sure it was only seconds) someone from the crew opened the door and freed me.

My daughter husband and granddaughter still get the giggles when we discuss it. I am hoping the "crew" did not see me or really hear me the whole time. I often wondered if they video tape in there and maybe I was on UTUBE.

Anyway just a little not of caution. DO NOT GO ON IF YOU HAVE CLAUSTROPHOBIA. Perhaps Disney could add this to their list of medical conditions. Hope it helps someone.

Good advice--it's pretty close quarters in there.

I don't suffer from claustrophobia, but I've often wondered -- would it help if, when you find yourself getting anxious in close quarters, you just closed your eyes and visualized being in an open space, like a field of grass?

I don't suffer from claustrophobia, but I've often wondered -- would it help if, when you find yourself getting anxious in close quarters, you just closed your eyes and visualized being in an open space, like a field of grass?

On Mission:Space, closing your eyes makes it worse for most people. You really feel the spinning and it may disorient you.

Been on the ride many times and I know that you don't get on that ride before hearing at least several times a warning about fear of enclosed spaces!

On Mission:Space, closing your eyes makes it worse for most people. You really feel the spinning and it may disorient you.

Well, now you're talking a pure "pick your poison" situation -- do you want to have a panic attack, or start puking from motion sickness...

If you're both claustrophobic and suffer from motion sickness, this is one ride that was designed to make you miserable.

obviously, I don't suffer from either malady

They warn you several times before boarding that you shouldn't ride if you are not comfortable with enclosed spaces. They mean it.

Nooooooooo the visuals fool your brain into thinking you are not spinning but crashing into the landing strip.

Also heed the warning to keep your head looking forward. I turned my head just to see what it felt like. It looked any scene in a movie where the ship gets sucked into a worm hole and it looks all smeary. It was a trip and a half. :hippie:

I want to know how you were hitting the door with your cane. Because I'm fairly confident that you wouldn't have had it in your hands mid-flight.

For those who have been on the Orange Ride and the Green Ride....what is the difference? I am assuming that the green ride does not spin.

Oh no! Well Im glad you got to get off before the ride started! My husband had a seizure 7 yrs ago and they never figured out why so I worried about him going on MS but he has rode it many times and had no problems!

Now I have chickened out for RRRC twice now, Ive had to go out the chicken exit. Im fine until I get close and see those cars take off like a rocket..lol I hate being that way..My family always teases me..

They warn you so many times it had ME doubting that I could ride it- and I am a major thrill seeker. By the time we loaded I was nervous from all all of the hyper.

Glad they let you out!

For those who have been on the Orange Ride and the Green Ride....what is the difference? I am assuming that the green ride does not spin.

That's it. Green doesn't spin.

Still a great ride. I rode it with my wife because she didn't want to do the Orange and I wanted to see what it was like.

Better than expected. I thought it was going to be lame. But it wasn't.

I am also claustrophobic to a certain extent. I have no problem in an elevator or with a perceived sense of space. My real issue occurs when I am strapped in. It's the feeling of being trapped. I realize it's my perception but it became very uncomfortable a few years ago and I have to really talk to myself to do certain rides with restraints.
That being said, I can't or won't go near Mission Space or the Sum of all Thrills for all the money in the world. I know it would be disastrous. I try to make myself do uncomfortable things but there's just no point with those two and I would likely have the same reaction. There's a big difference between uncomfortable and panic attack. Like you described, it's sheer terror and has lasting effects because you start to be afraid of more and more things that you weren't previously.

It's a good warning you just gave. If you are claustrophobic .. just don't attempt this one.

ETA) and sometimes the signs are misleading depending on the phobia. I know at Universal they really give you the warnings about enclosed spaces on The Simpsons and Spiderman. Because it's a ride vehicle with open air and no constricting restraints I am absolutely fine. Mission Space however I took one look on Youtube and knew there was no way I could do it. It makes me uncomfortable to even think about it. Doing it I would have to be knocked out!

I also had a near-panic attack after the control panel came up towards my face. I ended up staring at a little red light the whole time, deep breathing, and managed not to have a full-fledged attack. I am not normally claustrophobic so the warnings didn't bother me. (I can ride Star Tours with no problems.) I liken it to sitting in a sardine can turned onto its side. The space is very tight when you sit down, and THEN it gets smaller. They don't warn you about that!

Turns out this is DH's favorite ride in Epcot, so I wait in the exit area and send funny videos home while he rides. It's a win-win for both of us.

I also had a near-panic attack after the control panel came up towards my face. I ended up staring at a little red light the whole time, deep breathing, and managed not to have a full-fledged attack. I am not normally claustrophobic so the warnings didn't bother me. (I can ride Star Tours with no problems.) I liken it to sitting in a sardine can turned onto its side. The space is very tight when you sit down, and THEN it gets smaller. They don't warn you about that!

Turns out this is DH's favorite ride in Epcot, so I wait in the exit area and send funny videos home while he rides. It's a win-win for both of us.
Star Tours is one of those ones that is uncomfortable at the start for me, but I can work through it. In the case of Star Tours it's the warnings that get me nervous. If I can hold on until the ride starts (and I always have) then I am completely fine. It's that minute when the doors close and my seatbelt is locked that my heart starts speeding up and I have to ignore the question that pops in my head (Could I get out of here if I needed to?").

It's that minute when the doors close and my seatbelt is locked that my heart starts speeding up and I have to ignore the question that pops in my head (Could I get out of here if I needed to?").

This is me exactly! Once the video starts I am completely fine. No such luxury on Mission:Space though.

This is me exactly! Once the video starts I am completely fine. No such luxury on Mission:Space though.

Yep.. the dreaded question!! I just need to get to the part where I am distracted and having fun and it goes away. It's so funny that I *know* it's all a mind trick but once the panic starts it's very hard to stop so I do have to avoid the very tight rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter