MIL is Terminal, Wants to go to Disney

First off, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I would call Disney, explain what is happening, tell them time is of the essence and ask what is the best deal they can offer you as soon as possible. Don't pull punches, don't waste time, just do it. I know the purposes of this board are to be budget conscious but ask for help, see what you get, and go. You will have no regrets. IF you fuss around, bargain shop, she gets worse/can't go, you'll forever be berating yourselves for worrying about the money part of it when you should have been enjoying the last days/weeks/months of her life. Ask everyone to pitch in and just do it.

If you somehow get a snarky CM, call back and talk to someone nicer.

Best of luck to you.

I totally second this. If you do not get a totally understanding and accomodating CM call back until you do. Disney is magical and they want to make these kinds of situations happen for people! There are some great deals out this year to stay on property and I would think being close to everything would be a real convienience to you in this case!

jackie

I went though a simliar situation 7 years ago with my Dad. He had just beat prostrate cancer and a week later found out he had pancreatic cancer. He wanted to go to Disney with my then 3 year old son. That was April. We planned the trip for June. By then he was in the hospital and never did get to go. My advise....Go..just go. I may get flamed for this but stay at a monarail hotel and don't stress about money. This is your only chance to do this. One of my biggest regrets is we didn't just hop on a plane the week after he was diagnosed. I regret it everytime we are at a park or zoo or anywhere I see grandparents with their grandchildren. Just go. I am so sorry for your family...good luck and god bless.

I'm so sorry.

As Allesandwonderland said certain brain cancers can progress VERY quickly; in particular, a GBM. I would just find the least expensive sort of hotel that you can all agree on - like a Comfort Inn, or similar, and go asap (ie, waiting for a special is not the way to go here) - I'd probably keep it pretty short. The special time with family is the biggest thing, even if it means only one park day and a nice dinner or two. Down the road, the kids will remember the time as a whole, not each days event or the hotel. Good luck and have a good trip.

How about the Sheraton Vistana Resort. I think I would go with the 4 nights w 3/free. My feelings would be that you can't put a price on this trip. Go with your gut feelings and your heart. But I would discuss with my husband exactly how you feel and then just book it.

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I thought I would mention that if I'm reading it right, Undercover Tourist is currently selling tickets with upgrades. Like, buy a 4 day ticket and they will upgrade it to 7 at no charge. I guess to match Disney's buy 4 get 3 free thing. So if you stayed off site, or even on site, but couldn't get the buy 4 get 3 deal right now... you could order tickets at Undercover Tourist at a big savings. You could order them and if the other days weren't used, no loss, but if the rest of the family wanted to do more park days than grandma, they could and their tickets would accomodate.

Best wishes to you and your family. My boss was just diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor and it's just devastating. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. I also would suggest that the sooner the better, and get her a wheelchair at the park to get around easier. HUGS....

Sorry to hear this!

Since it sounds like TIME is of the essence I am going to vote against the ever popular "rent DVC points" It's not a quick booking deal.

With the number of adults I would look into renting a condo or house. (head over to the Orlando Hotels board for help!) Right now it's a buyer's market and you would have more space to relax etc. That also gives you a kitchen to make meals.. much cheaper then Disney LOL!

Get basic tickets.

And remember it's not about "doing it all" It's about being there. So have fun and let your family member "lead"

I'd agree with this, but I don't think you can get 8 in a 2BR?

!!!

You can.

Two in the master, four in the second bedroom, two on the pull out sofa in the living room.. and it's all within the Disney rules! However, renting one for "next" week is not easy

First off, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I would call Disney, explain what is happening, tell them time is of the essence and ask what is the best deal they can offer you as soon as possible. Don't pull punches, don't waste time, just do it. I know the purposes of this board are to be budget conscious but ask for help, see what you get, and go. You will have no regrets. IF you fuss around, bargain shop, she gets worse/can't go, you'll forever be berating yourselves for worrying about the money part of it when you should have been enjoying the last days/weeks/months of her life. Ask everyone to pitch in and just do it.

If you somehow get a snarky CM, call back and talk to someone nicer.

Best of luck to you.

I totally second this. If you do not get a totally understanding and accomodating CM call back until you do. Disney is magical and they want to make these kinds of situations happen for people! There are some great deals out this year to stay on property and I would think being close to everything would be a real convienience to you in this case!

jackie
Unfortunately, Disney gets requests like these several times everyday. There's no way to divine the legitimate appeals from the fraudulent ones without the guest to provide way more information that a reservations CM is prepared to take.

Instead, Disney donates heavily to programs like GKTW and MAW for children with life-threatening illnesses. There are similar programs for adults who have life-limiting illnesses. You might want to check http://www.dreamfoundation.org/, which is one of those organizations.

OP, if you would rather use your own resources to provide this special trip, check out the 4/3 deal that Disney is offering right now. The price comes out to around 42% off of the rack rate of the rooms and you would save around $9/ticket. You can choose to travel anytime between now and August 15th but you would need to book by 3/29. I would recommend two rooms at a Value Resort to keep costs low but it will still allow you to stay onsite.

I have a co-worker who has recently been diagnosed with bone CA and we are sending her and her fam to WDW for a trip in May. I contacted Disney and did not get any help after contacting them, they all said oh that is so nice of you guys but that was about all that I got. I did get dining ressies quick and easy but I don't know if that was strings being pulled or just luck. We happen to have a co-worker that has a DVC and so they are staying there, so check anyone that you know who may possibly have one, or for that matter any vacation club, if you know someone who might have a vacaation club like Blue/Green or RCI you can now go to DVCs through them, maybe they would be able to help. If you can find someone with a DVC you can get a discount on the dining plan I believe and that is a great help to. It is a lot of food if she is sick especially but would be well worth it for convience sake.
Good luck.:)

I just wanted to send prayers and well wishes your way. We are currently dealing with 2 family members who have cancer. One has a good prognosis and we fear the second is terminal (one dr. has already told her this, waiting on a 2nd opinion). I understand what you all are going through. The other posters have given you some really good advice. I can't think of anything different to add. I do wish your family the best and hope you all have the most wonderful trip ever!:grouphug:

I too, am sorry to hear about your MIL. There really aren't enough programs like MAW for adults.The few that do exist have little funding and thus often have no availability to grant a wish, even for someone who urgently needs one and has no time to wait. Children who aren't terminally ill can get a wish while adults who *are* terminally ill and want to make memories with their families/children cannot. It makes no sense to me - if wishes are given, they should be for all ages and should be for a last wish...which was what MAW was all about originally. Perhaps a church or civic organization could help your family though. The suggestions that others have given for a more "budget" trip are good ones- I would second the suggestion to stay onsite in a DVC villa or even Ft. Wilderness if possible just for the convenience. IMO it's stressful to have to drive to/from the parks, esp. if she needs to rest during the day. If you do stay offsite, remember that First Aid has cots to rest on if needed. Also she will likely need to use a w/c and it may be possible to get one from a WDW resort to keep for your length of stay, plus of course the savings on parking fees.

One person mentioned to get a pass to skip lines. There is no such pass. Only children currently on a MAW trip get a pass to go to the front of lines. Disney does not offer this pass for adults, even those who are terminally ill. Utilize fastpass and EMH if your MIL is up to it. I agree with those who have said to make this happen quickly as you don't know how her stamina will hold up or her ability to enjoy herself due to her illness. I also agree with those who have said don't try to do it all. Ask her what's most important. Who knows...it may only be seeing her grandkids on Dumbo or visiting another special attraction together with the rest just being extra. Perhaps she always envisioned all of you riding the monorail together. Maybe think of making a memory book while you're there with not only photos but writing down her comments. I know it will be bittersweet- but try to enjoy these last times together.---Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.
I would go with the suggestion of 2 rooms at a value resort during the 4/3 promotion.

Best of luck.

I too, am sorry to hear about your MIL. There really aren't enough programs like MAW for adults.The few that do exist have little funding and thus often have no availability to grant a wish, even for someone who urgently needs one and has no time to wait. Children who aren't terminally ill can get a wish while adults who *are* terminally ill and want to make memories with their families/children cannot. It makes no sense to me - if wishes are given, they should be for all ages and should be for a last wish...which was what MAW was all about originally. Perhaps a church or civic organization could help your family though. The suggestions that others have given for a more "budget" trip are good ones- I would second the suggestion to stay onsite in a DVC villa or even Ft. Wilderness if possible just for the convenience. IMO it's stressful to have to drive to/from the parks, esp. if she needs to rest during the day. If you do stay offsite, remember that First Aid has cots to rest on if needed. Also she will likely need to use a w/c and it may be possible to get one from a WDW resort to keep for your length of stay, plus of course the savings on parking fees.

One person mentioned to get a pass to skip lines. There is no such pass. Only children currently on a MAW trip get a pass to go to the front of lines. Disney does not offer this pass for adults, even those who are terminally ill. Utilize fastpass and EMH if your MIL is up to it. I agree with those who have said to make this happen quickly as you don't know how her stamina will hold up or her ability to enjoy herself due to her illness. I also agree with those who have said don't try to do it all. Ask her what's most important. Who knows...it may only be seeing her grandkids on Dumbo or visiting another special attraction together with the rest just being extra. Perhaps she always envisioned all of you riding the monorail together. Maybe think of making a memory book while you're there with not only photos but writing down her comments. I know it will be bittersweet- but try to enjoy these last times together.---Kathy

Disney does have a guest assistance pass though which will atleast get her some help regarding lines, they will give her an alternate enterance/shorter wait times

I will keep you in my prayers, I myself was diagnosed with a brain tumor in october and started my 2nd round of chemo today We went to Disney in january when I was done with round one.We had a blast:thumbsup2 We stayed at the gf, life is to short go and have fun there was 20 of us who went!!!:rotfl2:

Disney does have a guest assistance pass though which will atleast get her some help regarding lines, they will give her an alternate enterance/shorter wait times

I am so sorry to hear about you MIL :hug: I lost my mom to a sudden heart attack 6 months ago, so I know how hard it can be. WDW was her favorite place to be, in fact she and I were supposed to on our way to WDW on the day of her funeral for a Mother-daughter trip.

The GAC or Guest Assistance Card won't get you a shorter wait, and the alternate entrance is for those with mobility issues in a wheelchair or on an ECV and now most of the lines are streamlined so an alternate entrance isn't available. I would recommend if she gets tired easily to rent a wheelchair or ECV for her for this very reason.

Suzanne

I am very sorry your family has to go through this, my father died almost 5 years ago from brain cancer.
My suggestion is to go...now. Don't wait, get your stuff together, make the plans for soon, and go. This time is so precious, and sadly with some brain tumors, they are so fast. I don't remember what kind you said, but it can be fast.
Please know my thoughts are with you and your family, and I hope you are able to make some wonderful memories with your family.

I would stay off site. There are many wonderful rental homes available, most are open to bargaining.

We stay at a lovely 5 bedroom house, five minutes from the front gates.
We stay for under $140 a night! I think the max occupancy is twelve. Three and a half baths, private pool, etc. You would have lots of options for food. We usually eat in one or two meals a day. Just an example to give you some ideas...www.grumpysgrotto.com

How about calling a travel agent and discussing your needs with them. They can't get you deals because of your situation but they can give you the best deals that are available at this time and give you some advice in where to stay. I vote for staying on property it will be so much easier for your MIL to rest if she needs to. I always use The Mouse For Less Travel ( I was a member there before here so that was the agency I went with at the time) I wouldn't hesitate to use the Dis' s own Dreams Unlimited and since you are posting here for advice I would probably go with them you can't go wrong with either. They can take care of what you need right down to ADRs and that can take some of the stress off.

There are a lot of people renting what are called Developer Points on the Rent Board.
They are points people got as a bonus for buying into DVC.
They are only good at Saratoga Springs, a beautiful resort.
Most weeks Sunday - Thursday...5 nights would be 180 points.
There are points selling for $8 a point. So that would only be 1440.00...:banana:
Then get basic park tickets for Undercovertourist.
Also with a DVC you can plan some or all your meals in the room.
You would have a FULL kitchen, washer dryer, dishwasher...:thumbsup2

Actually, no. It's a card ( I shouldn't have said "pass" either) but is NOT intended to shorten wait times ( says so right on the card)- it is intended to offer an alternate entrance in the few queue lines that aren't mainstreamed to allow w/c's. The wait times are often longer depending on whether you are waiting for an accessible vehicle. Using a w/c or ECV will be her best option to save energy.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter