Mickey Pants on the Hub Grass!: A June 2015 Dining Report - Complete!

Aw, so if you HAD to choose between GFC and Kona for breakfast, which would you choose? I'm a Tonfa Toast gal but love eggs too

I'm not sure which I'd choose because I've actually never been to the GFC! I think I'd pick Kona for the atmosphere and the menu, though. Only because I prefer the Poly and the Hawaiian spin on breakfast to the more "pastel floral old-Florida" feel to the GFC.

We have a breakfast reservation there in about two weeks. I'm already have trouble deciding if I want the Samoan or the Macademia nut pancakes.

Nothing worse than an overcooked poached egg. The first and only time I have ever sent food back was on Mother's Day this year. My family took me to brunch and I ordered Eggs Benedict. The eggs were not just overcooked they were straight up hard boiled. I sent it back. Couldn't handle that kind of disappointment on Mother's Day.

Yeah, I should have sent them back...glad you did! Grr for being hungry in the morning.

Been lurking for awhile, but wanted to pop in and say thank you for the great California Grill review! I've seen some negative ones lately and was feeling uneasy about having a reservation there for my disneymoon at the end of the month. Your pictures and descriptions were so helpful and really made me look forward to this meal again. The strawberry shortcake, so delicious looking!

Kona breakfast looks really yummy too!!

I hope you love the California Grill as much as we did. I've been nervous both times and been pleasantly surprised both times. I can't decide if I go in with low enough expectations and am happy to have them met, or if we've really just had good experiences. I'd like to say it's a little of both!

First your Cali Grill meal looks great, especially those desserts. Gotta major case of the drools going on here.

And Kona and The Samoan, two of my favorite disney things. Agree our service has been spotty too, but pressed coffee, hollandaise, and a bloody mary usually make it all better ; )

Truth! I can't see us not keeping it on the list, even with the so-so service.

The Samoan is my favorite breakfast, a must have on every trip!! I would have definitely sent it back, the glorious runny yolk is amazing!!

Love, love, love the Samoan!

I feel like I keep hearing similar thoughts about Kona. I have a lunch ADR planned and keep going back and forth in my mind if I should change it or not.

I've never had lunch at Kona, but I would give it a try someday because the menu looks good. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, though. I'd actually guess lunch might have better service because it's not nearly as busy at lunch or dinner. Breakfast is the main draw.

Just caught up on this fun report!
Hey, next time we go to WDW can you plan all our meals and snacks? Pretty please?! Your picks look awesome.

Hmm, I might be able to help in that regard! Luckily (or not so luckily), there are many more good choices than not-so-good choices, so it's hard to go wrong! There are definitely some must-do's every time, though!

Mary hasn't answered this so I will, yes the tasting was included in the wedding pricing. Not sure that
would apply to all levels of wedding

Thanks, Dad.

Well all, we’ve made it to the end.

We spent the morning in the Magic Kingdom. One thing we found while there was charging stations, of course hidden in tree stumps. These were found in the sitting area by the most photographed bathrooms in the World (and, quite possibly the actual world), the Tangled bathrooms! Just in case you need to sit a spell and/or charge your phone!

After spending the morning in the Magic Kingdom, it was time to have one final meal before saying our goodbye’s to WDW. Since we were going to go to airport directly from lunch we had the whole World of possibilities at our fingertips.

We decided to head over to a popular food court...Landscape of Flavors!

Art of Animation is a beautiful and brightly colored resort. They also happen to have an awesome food court full of some interesting entrees.

There are a variety of stations with different entrees to order.

Kathy, Bob, and I all decided get the same thing...the meatball sandwich. Kathy and Bob got this once before and really enjoyed it. The meatballs are flavorful and they put just the right amount of tomato sauce and cheese to cover them. As you can see, it’s also served on bread rather than a traditional hoagie roll. I like this, as it allows the meatballs and cheese to star rather than getting lost in a giant hoagie bun.

The salad that comes with the meatball sandwich seems to be either way overdressed or way underdressed. This time around it was drowning in dressing. Kathy ordered a plate of fries to go along, rather than sticking with the salad. It was a nice portion.​

Jeff decided on the pulled pork and homemade chips. It was a traditional pulled pork with a tomato (ketchup) based barbecue sauce. Jeff thought this was very good. He thought the potato chips were good, but a bit salty. As usual, I tried one and disagreed. Depends on your salt preference.

Jeff also decided to get a cookie for dessert. It was a typical Disney cookie, and happily, Disney cookies are good, so he enjoyed it.
Once we finished filling our bellies, it was time to make the long, sad journey out of Disney property and to the airport. I’ll be back with final thoughts to finish it up next time!​

Looks like landscape of flavors was a great way to go out

A warm welcome back, to those of you who joined us. I hope everyone enjoyed this dining report; I had a great time writing it and we had a yummy time eating it at the time.

Overall, we had a great time during our few days at Disney. The wedding planning was great fun and we are more excited than ever for the actual wedding to take place in October. For the most part, we enjoyed our restaurant choices for this trip. I think the winner this time around was definitely California Grill. Everything we had there was cooked perfectly and we enjoyed our extended meal. Other highlights were, of course, trying the Mickey Pants sundae for the first time and Trader Sam’s. Negatives for this trip would be our ‘meh’ experience at Kona and our mix-up at Be Our Guest.

We loved staying at the Polynesian and are even more excited that we decided to buy into the DVC. Now that much of the construction is done (there’s still some going on until they finish the East Pool), I think it’s worth a trip over. Trader Sam’s is great fun and as it starts to cool down, the patio would be a great place to relax at night. I’m not sure if I will be back to write another report for the wedding, but I hope you all have enjoyed reading along.

Until next time, Disney diners!​

We tried Kona for the first time on our last trip. Service was mediocre at dinner and completely horrible at breakfast. The food was great though. It is interesting to hear that you have been disappointed by the service lately as well.

Your meal at Landscape of Flavors looks great! We have had breakfast there but haven't made it over for lunch or dinner.

I loved your report, thank you so much for sharing!

Awesome dining reviews Mary. I am drooling over that California Grill dinner.. I contemplate booking it every time, but my fiance is kinda picky/a big eater and I'm not sure if it's worth the price tag for something he may not really enjoy.

I am uber jealous of all of the DFTW planning going on!! I hope you'll post some pics of the big day afterwards!!

Thanks so much for letting us eat along with you, can't wait to hear all about the wedding and FOOD!!!!!

Really enjoyed reading along! And your CG review is making me look forward to out ADR there in Nov. :goodvibes
thanks again for writing and enjoy the rest of the wedding planning with your sister!

Thanks for your reviews! I am hoping you do a report for your wedding trip but if you don't its understandable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter