Mexican Children Begging???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not had problems on cruise. Only problems when crossing border from Texas, Arizona, or California.

Nope...never had any problems w/ beggars in Cozumel or Grand Cayman. I always wear cutoff jean shorts in the ports and joke that the people think I don't have any money. Even the shop keepers leave me alone w/ my fringy cutoffs. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I agree with the advice not to give money to beggars, whether they're children or adults, and whether you're at home or abroad.

There are many excellent aid organizations that help to provide food, education, clothing, medical care, and housing to impoverished children and their families in the United States and around the world. Such organizations know where the real needs are. They deliver their services with the help of volunteers and professionals (who typically work for a fraction of what they could earn with their education level and skills).

I'm especially impressed with organizations that help people become self-sufficient.

If you want to help people, you're much better donating to such organizations. When you donate, you can often identify how you and/or where you want your money used.

I respectfully totally disagree! I give to beggers at home and abroad. I give to children, adults, homeless people, bag ladies, drunks and drug addicts. I also give to various organizations you mention too...becuase they meet a diffent need at a different level.

The comparrison of beggers to sea gulls just breaks my heart! Good Lord. They are people and most are undernurished and live in complete poverty. They see the tourist that come through as "the rich/priveldged ones" and you are! You may not think of yourself as rich but let me tell you, if you spend thouands of dollars on a vaction you are rich by their standards!

Never pass a begger in the streets - at home or abroad - and presume to know his story or his "need"! People see the drug addict on the corner and won't give him a few dollars because "he's just gonna buy drugs or booze". So what! Maybe that is what he needs right then to make it thru the day. You don't know his story or what has happened in his life. You don't know what sort of abuse and hardship and pain he has suffered in his life! Maybe a bottle of wine is the only thing that dulls the emotional and physical pain enough to keep him from taking his own life.

Keep a handful of coins and small bills try to put yourself in their positions. You came to their country to experience their culture...why would you want to deny they live in poverty? So what if their parents send them out?! Does that mean that they are not needy? Make a differance in someone's life. You ARE rich and can afford to give into their lives. Give them a few dollars and watch their faces light up!

~Mike

So, you are ok with subsidizing someone's drug addiction?

So, you are ok with subsidizing someone's drug addiction?

Well, let's just kill 'em! Becuase maybe if they don't get that next hit of herione, they might just die from the DTs! Unless you've been addicted to drugs, how can you possibly know what they are going thru? If they don't get a few dollars from you, maybe they will just have to sell their body into sexual perversion to 'earn' the money for their next hit! But that's ok becuase now you can go home and feel good that you did you part to 'ween that addict' from their addiciton! If it were your daughter out on the street, would you rather some stranger give her some money or would you rather she got it from her pimp or some perverted trick? What if it was your brother who witnessed his best friend get his head blown off in Iraq and now can't seem to find the will to go on? "Tough love" is often an excuse to cover ones lask of compassion and/or stinginess.

A phrase from this thread that was used several times just keeps running through my head: "....don't give them anything, it just encourages them!!"

OMG! We certainly don't want to encourage these beggars! The last thing they need is encouragement! We should give them stern/dirty looks, avert our eyes, act like we don't see them and do our best to discourage them! How dare they interrupt our tour of their poverty ridden community by asking for money from us!! Maybe if we kicked them as we passed by they would stop coming out to hound us! They need to know that Americans are not push-overs! We earned our prosperity and we don't just give it to lazy, shiftless beggars who won't work for a living!

Sorry for the harsh sarcasm but I'm embarrassed for America at the snobbish elitism indicated in this thread.

~Mike

Early on, DCL insisted that the beggars be kept away from the port area as a condition for their ships docking there. They have never returned, and there is a significant police presence in the port area.

If you leave the tourist areas, you will see beggars. DO NOT give them anything, and protect your personal property as they are well trained pick pockets. If you give anything to one, you will be mobbed. Do not encourage them. Do not comment on their pretty baby or anything else--while one distracts you, another may be robbing you!

You are contributing to the local economy with your port taxes at the very least, as well as with any shopping and excursions you may do. YOU are not responsible for creating or correcting the poverty at any vacation spot.
:thumbsup2
I agree with the advice not to give money to beggars, whether they're children or adults, and whether you're at home or abroad.

There are many excellent aid organizations that help to provide food, education, clothing, medical care, and housing to impoverished children and their families in the United States and around the world. Such organizations know where the real needs are. They deliver their services with the help of volunteers and professionals (who typically work for a fraction of what they could earn with their education level and skills).

I'm especially impressed with organizations that help people become self-sufficient.

If you want to help people, you're much better donating to such organizations. When you donate, you can often identify how you and/or where you want your money used.

They are everywhere, even here in Edinburgh, they are a disgrace and at the moment the council aand bussines people are all arguing about how to get rid of them. They cant use children here as they would get taken from them but they have dogs and that does bug me.

ps, there are lots and lots of other choices rather than begging in the uk, I should know when I look ate the tax I pay every month.

:thumbsup2 ITA

They are everywhere, even here in Edinburgh, they are a disgrace and at the moment the council aand bussines people are all arguing about how to get rid of them. They cant use children here as they would get taken from them but they have dogs and that does bug me.

ps, there are lots and lots of other choices rather than begging in the uk, I should know when I look ate the tax I pay every month.

Might be other options in Edinburgh but doubtful there any on the Yukatan pennisula. Most of us take our prosperity for granted....we have NEVER had to send our children to bed hungry because we had no money for food. The idea of sending our childen out into the streets to beg for money is so far from our world, it doesn't even cumpute...maybe because we have never had to cut a pair of shoes for our child out of an old truck tire....

I've been into the interior of Mexico and seen poverty that would blow your mind. I saw a 70 year old man on the side of the road with a bag picking of grains of rice that had blow off of trucks so he'd have something to eat. I've seen families that live in 'houses' made out of cardboard boxes!

If you want to keep your money, fine. But don't deceive yourself by thinking you are somehow doing them a favor by withholding your money. And don't fool yourself by thinking they live like that because they want to or are just lazy or they have "other option". Poverty is real and people really do go to bed hungry.

You cannot believe the amount of begging in Tijuana - 3yo little girl trying to get my kids to buy gum from her. A baby!! Begging!! Atrocious... talk about child abuse. Necklaces shoved in my face, bracelets draped over my arm. Comments made to my teenage daughter...we couldn't wait to leave...I'd gladly give a Mexican charitable organization some money to help....

If it gets to be such a nuisance dealing with these people, then cruisers/tourists will stay away in droves.

One more comment on the "I gave at the office" excuse for not giving money to the poor, homeless, addicts, beggars and street children. It is my experience that the people who give the most generously to organized charities are also the first ones to reach in their pockets to give to a needy person in the street. When someone is begging for food money, telling them you gave money to the Salvation Army last Christmas doesn't fill their belly...but maybe you will sleep better.

You cannot believe the amount of begging in Tijuana - 3yo little girl trying to get my kids to buy gum from her. A baby!! Begging!! Atrocious... talk about child abuse. Necklaces shoved in my face, bracelets draped over my arm. Comments made to my teenage daughter...we couldn't wait to leave...I'd gladly give a Mexican charitable organization some money to help....

If it gets to be such a nuisance dealing with these people, then cruisers/tourists will stay away in droves.

I've seen the gum sales thing by little children in Mexico and I've seen it in China....I usually give some coins and then just say 'no thanks' when they tried to give me the gum. The look on their faces for "making a sale" (and getting to keep the gum!) is priceless! They are not asking much...maybe a nickle or dime for those gum things!

Child abuse? How can you make this call? Maybe that is the only way the family can make any coin so they have money to buy food! People do what they have to do to survive.

I agree that people who find beggars to be a "nuisance" should stay away from impoverished countries/cities.

One more comment on the "I gave at the office" excuse for not giving money to the poor, homeless, addicts, beggars and street children. It is my experience that the people who give the most generously to organized charities are also the first ones to reach in their pockets to give to a needy person in the street. When someone is begging for food money, telling them you gave money to the Salvation Army last Christmas doesn't fill their belly...but maybe you will sleep better.

I'm not sure where the chip on your shoulder is coming from ~ I don't understand the bit of hostility you seem to be laying down. I understand the frustration about poverty in general, etc. but you sure are giving alot of grief to folks for giving to organizations and NOT the "beggar" on the street and making alot of assumptions yourself.

:confused3

I can give you PLENTY of examples of folks here in St. Louis who HAVE tried to purchase food for those homeless/beggars to be yelled/degraded and even spit at by those beggars because they offered to purchase them a meal vs. out right giving money.

I saw less begging in Cozumel and Grand Cayman than I've seen in my travels to Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, and here locally in the Kansas City area.

Might be other options in Edinburgh but doubtful there any on the Yukatan pennisula. Most of us take our prosperity for granted....we have NEVER had to send our children to bed hungry because we had no money for food. The idea of sending our childen out into the streets to beg for money is so far from our world, it doesn't even cumpute...maybe because we have never had to cut a pair of shoes for our child out of an old truck tire....

I've been into the interior of Mexico and seen poverty that would blow your mind. I saw a 70 year old man on the side of the road with a bag picking of grains of rice that had blow off of trucks so he'd have something to eat. I've seen families that live in 'houses' made out of cardboard boxes!

If you want to keep your money, fine. But don't deceive yourself by thinking you are somehow doing them a favor by withholding your money. And don't fool yourself by thinking they live like that because they want to or are just lazy or they have "other option". Poverty is real and people really do go to bed hungry.
I was not talking about the whatever penninsula, I know poverty is real, I know poeple go to bed hungry.I have a tv.

I am sorry, but I will say again, imho, I dont agree with giving to beggers, I may well be wrong, I cant be so sure of myself as you seem to be, I am sorry if I am wrong or offended you, but I am allowed an opinion.

I'm not sure where the chip on your shoulder is coming from ~ I don't understand the bit of hostility you seem to be laying down. I understand the frustration about poverty in general, etc. but you sure are giving alot of grief to folks for giving to organizations and NOT the "beggar" on the street and making alot of assumptions yourself.

:confused3

I can give you PLENTY of examples of folks here in St. Louis who HAVE tried to purchase food for those homeless/beggars to be yelled/degraded and even spit at by those beggars because they offered to purchase them a meal vs. out right giving money.

No chip on my shoulder....are you trying to reconcile your guilt by attacking me? The argument that you don't need to give to beggars on the street becuase you give to organized charity is a crock. Period.

Try showing a little compassion for people and look for reasons to give and to help rather than looking for excuses to not give and not help! It's easy to find examples of people who abuse other people's good hearts and use that as an excuse for doing nothing.

You are right, I do make assumptions....I assume that most beggars really don't want to be beggars but they are doing what they need to do to survive. Maybe I'm wrong....but I'll err on the side of humanity.

So go ahead and attack me if you think that will assuage your guilt. I will live my life a giver and look for opportunities to give...and I will continue to encourage others to do likewise.

I was not talking about the whatever penninsula, I know poverty is real, I know poeple go to bed hungry.I have a tv.

I am sorry, but I will say again, imho, I dont agree with giving to beggers, I may well be wrong, I cant be so sure of myself as you seem to be, I am sorry if I am wrong or offended you, but I am allowed an opinion.

I am sorry I sounded harsh. I am very passionate in my beliefs and sometimes my passion get the better of me and I unintionally hurt other people. That was not my intent and I'm sorry.

~Mike

I am sorry I sounded harsh. I am very passionate in my beliefs and sometimes my passion get the better of me and I unintionally hurt other people. That was not my intent and I'm sorry.

~Mike
I am one person who appreciated your comments and your passion. The thought that the same amount I might spend on my second (or third) evening cocktail could make the difference in a child's life for a week is discomforting. It is not something that is fun to think about especially when one is on vacation and really wants to escape the sense of responsibility that goes with our "regular lives". It is often easier to just not deal with it, turn ones head and hope it goes away...but we are choosing to visit areas where a few dollars that we would not miss can make a big difference for the person doing the "begging". The "beggar" knows it and we know it.

What to do...No one wants a situation where you have to pass a line of "begging" children on your way to take a swim and never have a peaceful moment of escape. There is a fear that this might happen if we all pass out dollars like candy on Halloween. If it does, no one visits and the revenue stops. Not a good outcome for sure. But to walk by a person, a child and ignore their reality doesn't feel right. We are visiting their country and we are wealthy by their standards. What must they think when we walk by and ignore them as if they did not exist?

How to be a tourist who contributes to the well being of the areas we visit ? Not an easy question to answer but worth some time and dialog...even or maybe especially if it gets passionate.

~Mike

There is no easy answer to the question of how to give, but I understand your frustration on the subject. I love working in and travelling around India for example, but doing so also carries a very high burden of guilt for me. When I am there (or working or travelling in other parts of the world with significant poverty) I often cannot bear to read this website because I have stronger than usual feelings about some of the subjects, and it colours my responses here.

However one feels on the subject, and however one chooses to give money, we should remember that these people are humans who often find themselves in their situation simply due to the random nature of birth. Some of the terms used to describe them here and other places are not very kind or reflective of our good fortune of having born or being able to live where we do in the world.

No chip on my shoulder....are you trying to reconcile your guilt by attacking me? The argument that you don't need to give to beggars on the street becuase you give to organized charity is a crock. Period.

Try showing a little compassion for people and look for reasons to give and to help rather than looking for excuses to not give and not help! It's easy to find examples of people who abuse other people's good hearts and use that as an excuse for doing nothing.

You are right, I do make assumptions....I assume that most beggars really don't want to be beggars but they are doing what they need to do to survive. Maybe I'm wrong....but I'll err on the side of humanity.

So go ahead and attack me if you think that will assuage your guilt. I will live my life a giver and look for opportunities to give...and I will continue to encourage others to do likewise.

I think you misconstrue my comments about a chip on your shoulder as a direct attack. But lets be honest here - you are coming off pretty harsh to folks who have chosen to give to organizations in lieu of directly giving to beggars. And I'm not entirely sure why you've chosen to come on here and do so.

Giving is giving and I certainly don't belittle folks based upon their choices of how or when they chose to give.

As far as the guilt comment - think whatever you like about me. Assume all you want about my beliefs, giving, etc. it truly makes no difference to me. At the end of the day its me and my maker that have to have that conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter