Metal Detectors & Coasters

hpriamson

Mouseketeer
Just got back from a Universal/Disney trip, and wanted to post a bit about the metal detectors.

As known, three rides now have metal detectors - Hulk, Dueling Dragons, and Rip Ride Rockit. They're tuned to be pretty sensitive - my small belt buckle (which doesn't trigger the detector when going through airport security) set it off each and every time. They were pretty quick with the hand scanners though, and there was never an issue getting on the ride.

Hulk and RRR are set up pretty intelligently. There's a dedicated metal detector for the Express Pass line, and the metal detectors are close to the lockers, so it's a quick trip for the large, large number of people who don't understand or accept what they can't bring on the ride any more.

Dragon Challenge is terrible however. The metal detectors are right before the walkway into the building, so you've already walked all they way up the ramp. They send people who had contraband down the shortcut path to the lockers. And the worst part, IMHO, was that they didn't have a dedicated detector for express pass holders - the line up to the detectors reached 20+ minutes when we were there, even though it was a walk on for express pass after getting through them. They'd be much better if they kept the detectors right at the entrance, and making one express only - don't know why they aren't doing that - maybe their deal with Rowling doesn't let them have anything modern looking in plain sight?

There was one funny moment - since it's such a long walk back down, they have a box for loose change for people who just want to get rid of it instead of waiting in line again. They donate it to charity, don't remember which. Some guy went into this long speech that they should give him a memorial brick on the walkway up for his 75 cent donation. He thought he was being funny, but I heard one of the hot, overworked, TMs behind me mutter "Oh, just shut up" as he walked away.

Last edited:
What about glasses including sunshades. Were you able to take them on the rides if they have chums on them? I have prescription sunglasses and would have not to be able to wear them on the rides.

They were fine with glasses & sunglasses, with or without croakies, chums, or other holding devices. My daughter wears glasses, and they didn't ask her to do anything with them - I assume they realize asking people to leave their glasses in a locker while they're waiting in line for an hour would be a big problem.

Dragon Challenge is terrible however. The metal detectors are right before the walkway into the building, so you've already walked all they way up the ramp. They send people who had contraband down the shortcut path to the lockers. And the worst part, IMHO, was that they didn't have a dedicated detector for express pass holders - the line up to the detectors reached 20+ minutes when we were there, even though it was a walk on for express pass after getting through them. They'd be much better if they kept the detectors right at the entrance, and making one express only - don't know why they aren't doing that - maybe their deal with Rowling doesn't let them have anything modern looking in plain sight?

Actually it is the design of that particular queue that makes it impossible to put the detectors where you would like them (at the front of the entrance). First off, the express line entrance is IN THE FIRST BUILDING so that should kill your argument about why oh why do I have to wait and cannot have my own dedicated scanner since I have Express. The other rides ALL have separate Express entrance queues. Secondly, the entrance to Dragon Challenge is already a very high traffic area and having people queue into the Hogsmeade walkways would be beyond stupid. There would be NO WAY to control the line. If you that your experience sucked before, imagine fighting thru a big mob of people right in front of the entrance. Thirdly, the actual queue line is very easy to get into via the exit queue and you can cross the two fairly easily if you know where the reride staircase is. Universal probably does not want to take the chance of people who went thru the exit and possibly miss the detector. Zero to do with JK Rowling.

Actually it is the design of that particular queue that makes it impossible to put the detectors where you would like them (at the front of the entrance). First off, the express line entrance is IN THE FIRST BUILDING so that should kill your argument about why oh why do I have to wait and cannot have my own dedicated scanner since I have Express. The other rides ALL have separate Express entrance queues. Secondly, the entrance to Dragon Challenge is already a very high traffic area and having people queue into the Hogsmeade walkways would be beyond stupid. There would be NO WAY to control the line. If you that your experience sucked before, imagine fighting thru a big mob of people right in front of the entrance. Thirdly, the actual queue line is very easy to get into via the exit queue and you can cross the two fairly easily if you know where the reride staircase is. Universal probably does not want to take the chance of people who went thru the exit and possibly miss the detector. Zero to do with JK Rowling.
The reride staircase is closed. I know exactly where it is, from previous trips. But they don't let you use it anymore, since the metal detectors went in. Where it puts you on the entrance side is after the metal detectors, and they have no way to control if you've snuck up the exit path to get to the reride staircase. So now you have to go all the way out of the ride, then walk down the main Hogsmeade path to get back to the main entrance.

And the other two rides with metal detectors do have separate detectors for Express. So why shouldn't this one? Considering that the current setup basically made my Express pass worthless. I agree that queuing up for the metal detectors outside the main entrance would be a bad idea, but I'd hazard a guess they're going to get enough complaints from Express pass users that they'll have to address it soon.

There is NO WAY to put in a separate entrance for Express riders in that queue. Seriously, how would you divide that long walk from the entrance to the main building and keep ALL the theming while separating guests? You cannot. There is also no other way to get guests into that ride except for that long queue because of the way that the queue is routed. Sorry but you have to wait..

They wouldn't have to rope it off all the way from the Hogsmeade entrance. Even putting the EP separation 2 or 3 turns back from the current metal detector spot would have helped a lot. And maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting a bit of "Express Pass users are getting special treatment they don't deserve" from your posts. It is special treatment, but we paid for it. If Universal wants to continue to offer the Express Pass for this ride, they have to address the fact that it currently (or at least while we were there) isn't working.

Even with the small wait for the metal detectors, you still get special treatment. You literally cut in front of most of the line. The Express ticket works exactly the way it states it would, from their website "Maximize your fun and get through the lines faster." You get thru that line much faster as you bypass 70% of the actual queue. Express works just fine at the ride, it just takes longer than it used to.

Did you even bother to read my OP? It wasn't a small wait. 20 minutes is a long wait for Dragon Challenge, even for the standby line. As a point of comparison, for the 4 days we were there, the longest wait we had in any other EP line was less than 5 minutes, at RRR. And even the standby riders were essentially walking on after getting through the detectors and going through the whole queue - both lines were walking on at the standby/EP merge point, right before the loading area. The metal detectors became the main slow down point, not the loading time of the ride itself. That's ridiculous.

It actually is NOT a long wait even for standby. You came at one of the slowest periods of the year. Average wait is 60+ for standby with 120+ in Summer and Christmas.

Last edited:
What does the wait at other times of year have to do with the wait for the period I was there? And regardless - a 20 minute wait, with an Express pass, at what you're calling "one of the slowest periods of the year" is unacceptable.

And I just checked the entire month of July on touringplans.com - the only time they predict the wait will be above 20 minutes is July 27, at 4 PM. The entire rest of of the month it's predicted to be below 20 minutes. Not that I'm claiming they're perfect, but I've never seen them be 100 minutes off. So where are you getting a 2 hour wait in summer from?

And looking their description page (not sure if you need a subscription or not):

http://touringplans.com/islands-of-adventure/attractions/dragon-challenge

They say "Waits for Dragon Challenge, one of the best coasters in the country, rarely exceed 30 minutes before 11 a.m". And the chart on the bottom of the page shows that the predicted wait is only 30 minutes even on crowd level 10 days.

They are 1000% wrong. As someone who lives in Orlando and visits quite often, I know FIRST HAND that they are wrong. I saw waits near 60 mins a few weeks ago. Whatever - obviously you feel entitled to no wait because you paid for it. Unfortunately, it is their theme park, their rules and whether you want to wait or not, you have no choice. Either skip that ride or don't buy Express. You waiting 20 minutes is completely reasonable. I am sure if you visit Halloween Horror Nights and purchase Express, you expect no waits for the houses..

FYI - the money is DONATED to Give Kids the World UNLIKE Disney where their donation money (when people throw stuff in the fountains or Bay Lake) is put for their Cast Members Recreation area.

I stand by my belief that if I pay for a service, I should receive the promised service, and having to wait the same time as standby riders whatever that wait may be compared to the week before means I didn't receive the promised service. (Obviously the case where both the standby and fastpass lines are a walk-on is an exception.)

And I believe I said they do donate the money to charity. My failure to remember which charity was in no way meant to imply I doubted they were actually donating it to a valid charity.

They are 1000% wrong. As someone who lives in Orlando and visits quite often, I know FIRST HAND that they are wrong. I saw waits near 60 mins a few weeks ago. Whatever - obviously you feel entitled to no wait because you paid for it. Unfortunately, it is their theme park, their rules and whether you want to wait or not, you have no choice. Either skip that ride or don't buy Express. You waiting 20 minutes is completely reasonable. I am sure if you visit Halloween Horror Nights and purchase Express, you expect no waits for the houses..

FYI - the money is DONATED to Give Kids the World UNLIKE Disney where their donation money (when people throw stuff in the fountains or Bay Lake) is put for their Cast Members Recreation area.

I've never seen Dragon Challenge at a 120. Even during the busiest times it's usually a 45-60 minute wait. Most of the year it stays at a 5-15.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Universal-Express/Express-Passes.aspx

You STILL cut 70% of the regular line. You did NOT wait the same amount of time as standby therefore you received EXACTLY what you paid for. They had to go thru a MUCH longer queue than you once they got past the metal detectors.

Obviously you have your beliefs and you will standby them no matter how many times I prove your facts WRONG. Have a good day. I am tired of wasting my time explaining things.

Thanks for the report and the information. It is good to know the logistics. We have been going for many years and have never waited more than 5 or 10 mins for express at Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons). I could definitely see the express being a disaster during the summer.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Universal-Express/Express-Passes.aspx

You STILL cut 70% of the regular line. You did NOT wait the same amount of time as standby therefore you received EXACTLY what you paid for. They had to go thru a MUCH longer queue than you once they got past the metal detectors.

No, they didn't! I mean sure, they physically had to walk through a much longer path, but when we hit the merge point, there was no one waiting from the standby line. The metal detectors were slowing things down enough that once you got past it, you were basically walking with no slowdowns straight onto the ride, from standby or express.

Imagine they changed all the rides so everyone had to wait in the same line, up to a point where they passed people at exactly the same rate as the ride itself could load. From THAT point on express had a 50 yard walk to the ride, while standby had to walk 250 yards, but at no time did standby or express have to slow down. Are you claiming that meets the offer that Express Pass is making?

Does this change mean that even with Express Pass it is important to do the Dragon coasters early in the morning?

Might be. Either they're going to have to change the configuration, remove it from the list of Express Pass rides, or listen to continuous complaints from people who have Express Passes.

FWIW, I emailed guest services a few days ago to tell them about our experience. They called me back today and assured me the current configuration is only temporary, and they'll be doing something to get EP users through separately, and speed up the process in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter