Message From Universal regarding Express Pass

Golter

DIS Veteran
First let me state that I am wholeheartedly against the Express pass in the form that it is now. I never heard one complaint prior to them doing away with the free express pass, but I hear and read them everywhere now.

Here is Universal's response (imo its a load of bull):

Darryl,

Thank you for visiting Universal Orlando Online.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We work hard at creating a great experience for all of our guests. Unfortunately, the feedback we received from our guests when we created the complimentary Express Pass system was not favorable especially during our busiest seasons. It never met our expectations and we resolved to institute another system that would work well for our guests. This current program has been well received by our guests. Whether a guest uses express or not, we are going to make sure the queue experience is as entertaining and fast-moving as possible. At the same time we want to offer our guests flexibility in how they experience the park. Our current express does so and we are looking to create even more choices and options for our guests. Our website is a good reference source for our guests so that they may obtain all the information they need to plan their time accordingly. The option of complimentary Express was eliminated from our site as soon as the program ended. We regret any inconvenience this has caused. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with proper management for their review.

Once again, thank you for sharing your remarks. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to monitor and, therefore, improve the quality of our guests’ experience.

Please keep watching us here at www.universalorlando.com, as we will have many exciting and new developments in the next few months.

Best Regards,

Darlene

Guest Services

Well, I think you did the right thing in letting them know how you feel. People should continue to do so and it may make a difference. The response is exactly what I would have expected, but I don think that means that they discounted your concerns. I mean, you didnt really expect them to instantly change it ? I always stay onsite, but I did notice the old mantra remains true...go early, there were no lines before 10 and very few before 11 when I went in june.

lindalinda said:
Well, I think you did the right thing in letting them know how you feel. People should continue to do so and it may make a difference. The response is exactly what I would have expected, but I don think that means that they discounted your concerns. I mean, you didnt really expect them to instantly change it ? I always stay onsite, but I did notice the old mantra remains true...go early, there were no lines before 10 and very few before 11 when I went in june.

I didn't expect a instant change, I just hope enough people complain so it makes a difference. I was there in Late May/Early June and it was packed. We have been many times and are always there before park opens. We usuallyl go in early December and I was just shocked that they would do away with it and charge $35 a person to use Express Pass one time on each attraction. We are going back in January and will be staying onsite for a couple of nights.

There were so many complaints with the free express system. We continually had people complaining on this board about it. The free passes were normally all given out early in the day and people would be so upset. Apparently Disney gets a lot of complaints that they don't have the paid express system. You can't please everyone!

Last year we visited WDW, and even though Soarin's Fast Pass ran out by mid-day....the fast pass at Disney sounds like the better deal. We had no problems getting the Fast Pass at other attractions for most of the day. There is no way our family of six can spring the extra $40 per person/per day just to have an FOTL pass. As for staying at the on-site hotels to get FOTL, that won't work for us either, since we are staying at my in-laws condo for the week. So, I guess we will be standing in long lines. IMO, Disney has Universal beat on the FOTL system.

Not trying to cause a problem here, but am I the only one who has a good time visiting theme parks without dealing with fast passes/fotl cards?

Honestly, this is a new thing at least at WDW/USO. I've been going to both parks since they opened. One time I tried fast passes at WDW and one time I tried them at US. Both were giant headaches and required losing any sort of spontinaity while on vacation. And, in the case of the US paid-for fotl cards, we actually waited longer with them. We were told it just happened to be the time of year (slow), but heavy on-site hotel guests with their room keys.

I have stayed on site and loved the hotel and walking distance to both parks, but I have just as good of a time staying at my timeshare and standing in line a couple extra minutes -- if I even have to stand in line longer.

This just seems to be such a sore spot and issue for so many people, both here and on the WDW boards, complaints on having fast-pass run out too soon, complaints about having to pay for fotl cards, etc. Wouldn't a simple solution be to just do away with all of it and make us all stand in line like we did for years and years? I never remember lines ruining my theme park trip in the '70s and '80s. I see folks rearranging their whole vacations because of fast pass/fotl card issues.

Sorry...just thinking out loud over here dreaming of my vacation in a couple months. Not trying to stir anything up :)

Disney offers fast pass free to everyone: their revenues increase for a variety of reasons.

US/IOA cancel their program: their revenues decrease for a variety of reasons. I think this was one of those reasons. They will get less visitors who are staying at WDW resorts and have to depend more on the fewer visitors staying at their resorts. Less revenue = less park enhancements. :guilty:

I must have missed something. Does this thread mean that if you stay on site at a universal resort they no longer offer FOLT? We were planning on staying there next year one or two nights so we can use our passes and not have to wait in line. :confused3

luvdisney14 said:
I must have missed something. Does this thread mean that if you stay on site at a universal resort they no longer offer FOLT? We were planning on staying there next year one or two nights so we can use our passes and not have to wait in line. :confused3

Dont worry, they still have fotl for hotel guests. This thread is referring to the express pass machines at the rides.

Cookie Princess said:
Disney offers fast pass free to everyone: their revenues increase for a variety of reasons.

US/IOA cancel their program: their revenues decrease for a variety of reasons. I think this was one of those reasons. They will get less visitors who are staying at WDW resorts and have to depend more on the fewer visitors staying at their resorts. Less revenue = less park enhancements. :guilty:

Actually, revenues have increased. It is rumoured that attendance had decreased for the first quarter over the first quarter of last year, but not revenues.

Cookie Princess said:

But FastPass isn't available for all attractions at Disney.

As mentioned, Universal's revenues are up, not down

PlutoLuvr said:
Not trying to cause a problem here, but am I the only one who has a good time visiting theme parks without dealing with fast passes/fotl cards?

Honestly, this is a new thing at least at WDW/USO. I've been going to both parks since they opened. One time I tried fast passes at WDW and one time I tried them at US. Both were giant headaches and required losing any sort of spontinaity while on vacation. And, in the case of the US paid-for fotl cards, we actually waited longer with them. We were told it just happened to be the time of year (slow), but heavy on-site hotel guests with their room keys.

I have stayed on site and loved the hotel and walking distance to both parks, but I have just as good of a time staying at my timeshare and standing in line a couple extra minutes -- if I even have to stand in line longer.

This just seems to be such a sore spot and issue for so many people, both here and on the WDW boards, complaints on having fast-pass run out too soon, complaints about having to pay for fotl cards, etc. Wouldn't a simple solution be to just do away with all of it and make us all stand in line like we did for years and years? I never remember lines ruining my theme park trip in the '70s and '80s. I see folks rearranging their whole vacations because of fast pass/fotl card issues.

Sorry...just thinking out loud over here dreaming of my vacation in a couple months. Not trying to stir anything up :)
I agree and it just shows how spoiled we've all become with these "skip the line" systems. I don't remember crowds ruining a vacation for me in the 70's and 80's either.

What in the world did we all do before FastPass, Express Pass and cell phones stuck to our hips and ears! :confused3

Personally, I don't think WDW guests that decide to go to UO for the day were bringing in any significant revenue anyway. The guests who stay in their hotels, eat 3 meals a day, & buy all their souvies there are bringing in a good portion of it. Then there's those who go to Orlando for the sole purpose of visiting UO. They also have locals & AP holders coming in. Here's how I personally see the FOTL issue:

Those who are willing to pay their hotel rates & give them all their vacation money deserve special perks. Those who come for the sole purpose of visiting UO can get a 5 day pass for a fraction of what they would pay at WDW. They can either take their time touring the parks, therefore dining there also, or they can pay extra for the EP & see it all in a day or 2. Either way, UO is still bringing in a reasonable revenue. Likewise, APs are a fraction of WDW's. The locals & others with APs can either visit when attendance is down to avoid the lines or also pay for the EP. Up until a couple years ago, we always bought WDW APs & never went during the busy season. Locals usually don't want to visit the parks, when it's hot or crowded. Why is it so hard for people to grasp that UO has to do something to generate revenue? Rather than being so upset that they don't offer free EP like they do at WDW, why not be thankful that they're giving you an option to visit their parks for a fraction of the cost, if you choose to go as cheaply as possible? I personally don't think WDW's "free" fast pass is worth the difference in a 5 day pass or the difference in the price of an AP. Does anyone really think it is? :confused3 I'm sorry, but IMHO this argument doesn't make any sense at all.

tarheelmjfan said:
Personally, I don't think WDW guests that decide to go to UO for the day were bringing in any significant revenue anyway. The guests who stay in their hotels, eat 3 meals a day, & buy all their souvies there are bringing in a good portion of it. Then there's those who go to Orlando for the sole purpose of visiting UO. They also have locals & AP holders coming in. Here's how I personally see the FOTL issue:

Those who are willing to pay their hotel rates & give them all their vacation money deserve special perks. Those who come for the sole purpose of visiting UO can get a 5 day pass for a fraction of what they would pay at WDW. They can either take their time touring the parks, therefore dining there also, or they can pay extra for the EP & see it all in a day or 2. Either way, UO is still bringing in a reasonable revenue. Likewise, APs are a fraction of WDW's. The locals & others with APs can either visit when attendance is down to avoid the lines or also pay for the EP. Up until a couple years ago, we always bought WDW APs & never went during the busy season. Locals usually don't want to visit the parks, when it's hot or crowded. Why is it so hard for people to grasp that UO has to do something to generate revenue? Rather than being so upset that they don't offer free EP like they do at WDW, why not be thankful that they're giving you an option to visit their parks for a fraction of the cost, if you choose to go as cheaply as possible? I personally don't think WDW's "free" fast pass is worth the difference in a 5 day pass or the difference in the price of an AP. Does anyone really think it is? :confused3 I'm sorry, but IMHO this argument doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree. The price difference between Disney and Universal 5 day passes and annual passes totally makes the fastpasses far from free.

tarheelmjfan said:

I agree with the fact that people who stay onsite and spend all their money should get perks. Incidentally, I almost, busted :rotfl2: a gut when you mentioned "paying all their money". I personally, am not willing to go without food, light, water, or shelter to spend a week in anyone's rented hotel room. I could stand to curb some of my shopping binges to save toward vacation though. ;)

However, I am still wondering why can't annual passholders get a little luv? :confused3 :grouphug:

damo said:
Actually, revenues have increased. It is rumoured that attendance had decreased for the first quarter over the first quarter of last year, but not revenues.
It's hard to imagine how revenue for USF may have increased, when figures are so consistently down?
These are the 2005 figures for all US theme parks.

1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 16.1 million, +6.5 percent
2. Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. 14.5 million, +8.5 percent
3. Epcot at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 9.9 million, +5.5 percent
4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.6 million, +5 percent
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.2 million, +5 percent
6. Universal Studios in Orlando, 6.1 million, -8.5 percent
7. Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., 5.8 million, +3.6 percent
8. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 5.76 million, -8.5 percent
9. SeaWorld Orlando, 5.6 million, +0.2 percent
10. Universal Studios Hollywood, 4.7 million, -6 percent
11. Adventuredome at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, 4.5 million, +2.3 percent
12. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, 4.3 million, +5.1 percent
13. SeaWorld San Diego, 4.1 million, +2.5 percent
14. Paramount Canada's Wonderland in Maple, Ontario, 3.6 million, +7 percent
15. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif., 3.47 million, -3 percent
16. Paramount's Kings Island in Kings Island, Ohio, 3.3 million, -5.1 percent
17. Morey's Piers in Wildwood, N.J., 3.1 million, +1 percent
18. Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, 3.1 million, -2 percent
19. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, Calif., 3 million, flat
20. Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., 2.9 million, +6 percent
21. Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Ill., 2.8 million, +24 percent
22. Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, Calif., 2.8 million, +5 percent
23. Hersheypark in Hershey, Pa., 2.7 million, flat
24. Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, Va., 2.6 million, +8.3 percent
25. Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., 2.3 million, +7.3 percent
Source: Amusement Business and Economics Research Associates
Ian

matty624 said:
It's hard to imagine how revenue for USF may have increased, when figures are so consistently down?
These are the 2005 figures for all US theme parks.

1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 16.1 million, +6.5 percent
2. Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. 14.5 million, +8.5 percent
3. Epcot at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 9.9 million, +5.5 percent
4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.6 million, +5 percent
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.2 million, +5 percent
6. Universal Studios in Orlando, 6.1 million, -8.5 percent
7. Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., 5.8 million, +3.6 percent
8. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 5.76 million, -8.5 percent
9. SeaWorld Orlando, 5.6 million, +0.2 percent
10. Universal Studios Hollywood, 4.7 million, -6 percent
11. Adventuredome at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, 4.5 million, +2.3 percent
12. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, 4.3 million, +5.1 percent
13. SeaWorld San Diego, 4.1 million, +2.5 percent
14. Paramount Canada's Wonderland in Maple, Ontario, 3.6 million, +7 percent
15. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif., 3.47 million, -3 percent
16. Paramount's Kings Island in Kings Island, Ohio, 3.3 million, -5.1 percent
17. Morey's Piers in Wildwood, N.J., 3.1 million, +1 percent
18. Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, 3.1 million, -2 percent
19. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, Calif., 3 million, flat
20. Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., 2.9 million, +6 percent
21. Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Ill., 2.8 million, +24 percent
22. Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, Calif., 2.8 million, +5 percent
23. Hersheypark in Hershey, Pa., 2.7 million, flat
24. Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, Va., 2.6 million, +8.3 percent
25. Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., 2.3 million, +7.3 percent
Source: Amusement Business and Economics Research Associates
Ian

These are attendance figures. The revenue report was posted here a while ago. If you search for it, I'm sure you will find it. It was also posted on the community board in one of the frequent bash Universal threads.

You also need to remember that these are percentage change figures from 2004 when Universal introduced the Mummy and attendance percentages were up higher than Disney.

To add to Damo's info - here is the 2004 park attendance. As you can see, Studios was up 14% and IOA was up 13% in 2004. So, the decline figures of 2005 are a decline from 2004. However, the net gain over the past two years is still a positive attendance figure.

My guess is you will see the same type of attendance pattern next couple of years with Animal Kingdom and Expedition Everest.

excerpted from http://themeparks.about.com/od/themeparksresourcecenter/a/10TopParks2004.htm

The nearby Universal Orlando theme parks, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida, picked up a lot of foot traffic with 13% and 14% jumps over last year, respectively. Beyond the general tourism turnaround, "Amusement Business" cites the blockbuster Revenge of the Mummy attraction for the jump.

Following are the top ten most attended North American theme parks, according to "Amusement Business." The info includes the name of the park, its location, its 2004 estimated attendance, and how it compared to the previous year's attendance.

1. The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 15.2 million, up 8%. [/list]
2. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif., 13.4 million, up 5%.
3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 9.4 million, up 9%.
4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 8.3 million, up 5%.
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 7.8 million, up 7%.
6. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, 6.7 million, up 14%.
7. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 6.3 million, up 13%.

8. Disney's California Adventures, Anaheim, Calif., 5.6 million, up 6%.
9. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, Fla., 5.6 million, up %.
10. Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City, Calif., 5 million, up 8%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter