Memory Maker question - how to get more photos?

shaynar

Mouseketeer
I've never gotten Memory Maker, but I'm considering it for my upcoming trip (going with the kids without DH - so it would be nice to have someone take photos for me)
But a) my kids don't do posed photos.
And b) whenever I've gone I've only gotten a handful a photopass photos, definitely not worth $170.

Obviously in their advertising they build it up to have amazing candid moments, which I understand is unrealistic. But is there any way to get my money's worth out of it?

I've never gotten Memory Maker, but I'm considering it for my upcoming trip (going with the kids without DH - so it would be nice to have someone take photos for me)
And b) whenever I've gone I've only gotten a handful a photopass photos, definitely not worth $170.

Obviously in their advertising they build it up to have amazing candid moments, which I understand is unrealistic. But is there any way to get my money's worth out of it?
You only need 11 photos to "get the monies worth" since individual photos are $15
So you are saying you've never gotten 11 photos taken? Heck, I often get 11 photos taken on 1 M&G
But the way to get as many photos as possible is to stop and get photos taken from every photographer you see. Even if you already have a Main St photo get another. Everyone is different in some way or another.
Though if your kids won't do posed photos it may be pointless anyway. All of their photos are posed. Even the photos you think are candid are not, except for a few done at M&G.

They will do candids during a meet and greet, if your kids won't pose. Just be sure to ask them. Some of my favorite photopass pics are candids

Attachments

• 389276_10150833978476703_1675037655_n.jpg
    389276_10150833978476703_1675037655_n.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
My DH is not good at photos- he just pulls a weird face when asked to pose, and somehow we got some amazing photos of the two of us on our Memory Maker. We made a point of stopping at photographers if their lines were short, and in just a week, came away with nearly 300 photos. The ride photos were a big plus for us too- we would never pay for them OOP, but we actually loved them all.

I did quite a few meet and greets with characters, and the candid unposed shots are a lot of fun too :) Moments that would have been missed if we had been using our own camera.

The following rides have photos that are included on memory maker:
Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and 7dwarfs at MK
Test Track at Epcot
Expedition Everest and Dinosaur at AK
Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster at DHS

If you meet any characters, the photographers will take candid shots during the meet, as well as the final "stand and say cheese" posed shot. Certainly not all of these wiuld be "purchase-worthy" on their own, but we usually have at least one candid per character that's pretty priceless

If you participate in anything like Enchanted Tales with Belle, Jedi Training Academy, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Pirates League they take a ton of pictures at those.

And, of course, the posed shots throughout the parks if you can convince them to do a few ;)

Definitely stop wherever you see a photographer...and don't forget to ask for magic shots! Our last trip we got close to 600 photos!! They take multiples at every location. Meet and Greets are a great place to get them, and in front of the park icons. We usually get some very nice ones in front of Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth.

Don't forget the ride photos and video, plus character meals if you happen to be doing any of those. My family hates to pose for the pics--but I just gently put it to them that I'm the Mom and I want my pictures. Happy Mommy-happy trip :rolleyes1....
There are no photographers inside at Character Meals. A few of them have a posed (so no candid) shot in front before the meal but that's all. Just to make OP clear on where they'll find photographers.
M&G were the only place I've ever gotten a candid shot from a Photopass Photographer. Some of those were very good photos but most are not.
But even the magic shots are posed. If her children won't pose ever I do question if they'll get enough good photos just at M&G

There are no photographers inside at Character Meals. A few of them have a posed (so no candid) shot in front before the meal but that's all. Just to make OP clear on where they'll find photographers.
M&G were the only place I've ever gotten a candid shot from a Photopass Photographer. Some of those were very good photos but most are not.
But even the magic shots are posed. If her children won't pose ever I do question if they'll get enough good photos just at M&G

I do know that there are no photographers inside, I was adding to her list of options of where she would find photos that would show on up on MM.

The only way to get your money's worth, if your kids won't do posed photos, if you guys ride all the rides that take photos and videos, and if you do meet and greets, but I cannot say that if your kids don't pose for a photo with the character at the meet and greet, that they are going to be good photos. They will take candid photos while your meeting the characters, but for me, those photos were not as good as the posed ones, since they are just shots of us talking and or giving a high five or hug with the character.

I loved memory maker, I'm getting it again for my next trip, but I make sure that I stop at majority of the Photopass photographers that I see, I do meet and greets, I always ask for any magic shots they might be able to do and the magic shots came out great for us, but you have to pose for them. IMO, that is how you get your money's worth.

The only way to get your money's worth, if your kids won't do posed photos, if you guys ride all the rides that take photos and videos, and if you do meet and greets, but I cannot say that if your kids don't pose for a photo with the character at the meet and greet, that they are going to be good photos. They will take candid photos while your meeting the characters, but for me, those photos were not as good as the posed ones, since they are just shots of us talking and or giving a high five or hug with the character.

I loved memory maker, I'm getting it again for my next trip, but I make sure that I stop at majority of the Photopass photographers that I see, I do meet and greets, I always ask for any magic shots they might be able to do and the magic shots came out great for us, but you have to pose for them. IMO, that is how you get your money's worth.
If OP's kids are still 1, 2, and 3, and she's alone, then I don't think they'll get any ride photos on the rides they can do. Buzz Lightyear, maybe? And I know at 7, DGD is barely tall enough to even be visible in our Buzz photos.

We always get memory maker. Your ride photos are included in it as well plus the video for certain rides I think TOT and 7DMT are the only ones that do the video right now. But you will get all the ride photos, space mountain...splash mountain...7DMT...ect. Plus for the meet and greets they do the candid shots automatically so while the kids are getting autograph books signed or talking to the characters or giving the characters a hug the photographers get all of that. Then you do have your "posed" photos as well. Plus when we got memory maker last year they added these photos with just the characters that we saw so if you are doing some sort of scrap book those photos would look really cool for it. I think we had over 200 pictures last time. Definitely worth it in my mind.

If OP's kids are still 1, 2, and 3, and she's alone, then I don't think they'll get any ride photos on the rides they can do. Buzz Lightyear, maybe? And I know at 7, DGD is barely tall enough to even be visible in our Buzz photos.

I wasn't reading that 1,2 and 3 were the children's ages, I thought it was just that they were numbered, 1,2 and 3. But, I don't have kids, so I don't know the lingo. :confused3

If that's the case, and OP cannot ride the rides, and kids won't pose at all for photos, then I cannot imagine how MM would be a good value for the OP.

I wasn't reading that 1,2 and 3 were the children's ages, I thought it was just that they were numbered, 1,2 and 3. But, I don't have kids, so I don't know the lingo. :confused3

If that's the case, and OP cannot ride the rides, and kids won't pose at all for photos, then I cannot imagine how MM would be a good value.
Ah, I bet you are right. I have seen folks list them both ways, by age and by birth order. In that case, OP, ignore my post :drinking:
I'll be honest, I wondered how 1 person would take kids aged 1, 2, and 3 to Disney alone :) Some folks are clearly braver than I :)

My kids are going to be 7, 4, and 2 when we go next. I wouldn't be doing too many of the picture rides nor character meals, so I'm doubting it'll be worth it for me.

My kids are going to be 7, 4, and 2 when we go next. I wouldn't be doing too many of the picture rides nor character meals, so I'm doubting it'll be worth it for me.
I tend to agree in your case.
But remember, buying MM is not required to get the photos taken. Even if you opt not to buy MM, get the photos done and check them out. Maybe you'll get a few that you like enough to purchase. You can always by them individually. Or, if your kids do decide to pose for pictures and you get a lot you love then purchase after the fact. It's only $30 more.

Can you but the ride photos and movies later if you have not bought Memory Maker?

Can you but the ride photos and movies later if you have not bought Memory Maker?
If you have a Magic Band, yes. It will link automatically via that.
If you don't, I'm not sure. Some rides don't have a booth to stop at, like 7DMT.

Sorry to butt in here but I had a related question.... I had MM for my last trip and I've got it again this time (so there are actually photos with me on it) but some of my ride photos never appeared on MDE. Is there somewhere after the rides where you can scan your MB to make sure they get your photos/video?

I do think you have to I put effort into getting photo pass photos. It's not like it just happens.

We stop pretty much everywhere we see a photographer. We always ask for magic shots (I would say the majority of them can do at least one). Also, if you see a not very busy photographer, stop and tell them you prepurchased Magic maker. We just happened to be moving around world showcase at the same speed as a photographer. We saw him probably 3 countries and he spent a lot of time with us in each one, taking random pictures all over the countries because no one else was waiting for him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter