Mel's Unflashy June 2008 TR: Funnel cakes have fewer calories in FL. Updated 12/2!!

Cheater!! :p

Yes, Janet somehow cheated. She's crafty. You gotta watch her every second! She's managed one funnel cake already! :lmao:
Thanks for reading, T!!

:yay: Yea!!! going back to read first installment!!! :banana: I had to sign in when I clicked on the link...hmm
Weird....:confused3

Nice to meet you Miss Mel..[/COLOR

:wave2: Hi Miss Ed!

OO-LA-LA!! Skeletens in the closet? must hear stories! :rolleyes1
Yes. Many...I'll share some, maybe!! :goodvibes

Steve and I say this ALL the time!!! :lmao: so funny!! I wish we could really meet someday. we would have so much fun!!!
You only live about an hour from my mom, Carrie! We should meet next summer when we are in Gloucester!

I love the way your write! I'm in!
Thanks! and :welcome: What should I call you? Forgive me if I've asked you this before....the DIS is a big place! :love:

I'm here too!!! Hooray for TR's!
Horray for Kat!!!! :welcome: Glad you could come by, Martha. :woohoo:

You talkin' 'bout me lady?
Yep. I'm talkin' bout you.

Dude...me too!

We should swap stories...

This one time...at band camp...

[/QUOTE]You went to band camp too???[/quote]
OMG, swap stories? No way man. Then you'd know all my dirt! Ha, kidding. Yeah, we will have to. I didn't go to band camp but this one time I SNUCK into band camp....
:sad2:
There were cute boys there.

Yay! Mel started her trippie! Can't wait to read all about your trip!
Hi Jodi! Glad you're here!!! :welcome:

Count me along too Mel... Great start :)
Hi Tanya! Glad you're here too!!! :welcome:

I'm here! Love the title!
Thanks Lessa! I'm so happy you are here! There are no Alek and Erich in my TR, but I hope it's good anyway! :rotfl:

I am quite sure she would... But...

A. I am NOT there in August
2... I was on my way back from :angel: Church Choir Practice and could not post first.
And D. I don't like Funnel Cake
( what line out of a movie did I steal my "options" from?)

I wish I could go in August and all you gals...
I really could use some ME time.. away from Virginia... Without my family

Got me and you should book it Katt! You'd have a blast! And you definitely deserve it. ::yes::

:confused3 Stumped me Sheriff.

DO IT! :yay: :yay:

Yeah, what she said. :goodvibes

----------

Ok, guys here's the next insallment.

Mel:banana:

The morning dawned cold and sunny. I was loading the car thinking, “Wow. It’s cold. Thank goodness it’s going to be warm where we are heading. I’m freezing!” Michigan has a habit of doing that. It’s 90 and humid every day for a week and then it’s 45 degrees. Keeping you on your toes! Anyway, days later I thought fondly of that chilly morning while I was walking from MGM (yeah, yeah Hollywood Studios...) to our hotel and thinking I may DIE from heatstroke first.

This is a photo of some of the things I packed that morning. It doesn’t look too bad in the photo. In reality it was 12 square feet of stuff. Yes, I needed it all. ::yes::
100_1183-1.jpg

We left the driveway at 9:10 am. That is pretty good for us. I had our coffee and tea all ready to go in our travel mugs and everything. The traffic leaving town was great, for a Friday morning. Bob commented several times about how lucky we were. I knew it wasn’t luck. It was Disney magic. I packed lots and lots of snacks for the trip.
Pay attention: Small Detail Ahead:
We have “usual snacks” for our road trips. I mean, we all have favorites so I buy those things for each person for every trip. Bob-trail mix. Must contain chocolate of some sort and lots of raisins. Ewww. And diet coke. He’s not much for soda usually, but on a trip he has to have his caffeine. Goofy-wheat thins, turkey pepperoni and slices of sharp cheddar. No substitutions. Also, sour gummy worms. Ewww again. Gus-honey mustard pretzels and twizzlers. I can live with this. Me-I don’t care. I like apples and skittles but I’ll eat anything. Sad but true. :sad2:

We made terrific time, despite having to stop at least 4 times for Gus to pee. The child has a bladder the size of a snack-size ziploc. Really. It’s annoying as heck. Rest stop anyone?

100_1185.jpg

Oh, and the insanely slow Russian guy who made Bob’s latte at the rest stop Starbucks in Ohio! He kept insisting that I ordered it hot. I did NOT. When he finally handed it to me, iced, I had been at the counter for 30 minutes. Anger rising.....grrrrr.....

I have to say that this was my first time driving through Virginia and W. Virginia. That sign on the bridge says Welcome to West Virginia. Yep.

100_1186.jpg

And I do NOT recommend it. Those roads go UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT till you think your going to go insane. The “hills” were like driving up and down ski runs. OMG. I’d die of a heart attack if my brakes went out on one of them. I snapped a picture of a rainy WV State House. What town is that in? I don’t recall.

100_1188.jpg

We stopped for the day in Charlotte, NC. Why did we stop in Charlotte? You don’t know? You have NO business reading this TR if you don’t know that I am a HUGE Nascar fan! No, really, go away.

smileynascar24.gif

Ha. Kidding. :rotfl2: Sort of. If you are a Tony Stewart fan, you will want to look away for a minute. I am going to call him names.

He’s a fat head. And dangerous. You know that scene from Top Gun where Iceman is talking to Maverick in the locker room and he says he doesn’t like Maverick because he’s “dangerous.” Yeah. That’s Tony Stewart. Only he’s not cute in sunglasses. He’s a fat head.

topgun_1.jpg

Ok, so now that I’m done with that. I can tell you that I am a Kevin Harvick fan. He’s the #29 Shell Oil car. He won the Daytona 500 in 2007. The team he drives for is RCR. He hasn’t won a race in a while, but I’m no fair-weather fan. I’ll keep cheering for him. (Psssst, I also cheer for Jr. because he’s cute, but don’t tell Kevin that.) My DH, Bob, set up a machine (can’t tell you what kind) at the RCR engine shop a couple of years ago and has friends there so I **might** get a tour. Yeah, I know, you don’t care. But, you’ll read my report anyway right? I have pictures of shiny cars!!!

KevinHarvickWinningThe2007Daytona50.jpg

That's Kevin winning the Daytona in 2007. He beat Mark Martin to the finish line by 14 inches or something. Wicked!!!

Ok, so we arrived in Charlotte and it was beautiful out. The sun was going down and we found our hotel without getting lost. Score!

Here is one last rest stop picture in NC.

100_1191.jpg

MEL

Oooh. I'm first again, and I read first too....:cool1: :cool1:

So...did you REALLY need ALL that stuff?

Did you REALLY walk from MGM (DHS) back to your hotel? HAve you learned nothing from Master T:eek:

Nascar - eh....no fan...do watch the Pocono 500 every year though since it is a local race:thumbsup2

kykatt2 said:
A. I am NOT there in August :guilty:
2... I was on my way back from :angel: Church Choir Practice:angel: and could not post first.
And D. I don't like Funnel Cake
( what line out of a movie did I steal my "options" from?)

:confused3 Stumped me Sheriff.

Got me and you should book it Katt! You'd have a blast! And you definitely deserve it. ::yes::

Come on... some one has HAD to seen this Movie...

The kid says A.......2........D.....

Yeah he was smart;)

I have to say that this was my first time driving through Virginia and W. Virginia. That sign on the bridge says Welcome to West Virginia. Yep.

100_1186.jpg

And I do NOT recommend it. Those roads go UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT till you think your going to go insane. The “hills” were like driving up and down ski runs. OMG. I’d die of a heart attack if my brakes went out on one of them. I snapped a picture of a rainy WV State House. What town is that in? I don’t recall.

100_1188.jpg

I am guessing you must have been on the WVa Turnpike ?? ( Toll Road ?)
No matter how you cut WVa.. it is curvy and twisty. Now that I live in Va.. when I "Went Home" I had to got through WVa to get to Ky.

That "Gold Domed" bldg. is the State Capital Of WVa.. it is Real Gold Leaf
and it is located in Charleston .

I'm sitting here trying to figure out HOW CLOSE you came to my house. ?
Probably took I 77 down to Charlotte ?? Or did you cut over and catch I 81 anywhere ?? Hmmmm

Hi Janet... I was here first... I JUST HAD SOMETHING TO SAY !!!! :rotfl2:

So...did you REALLY need ALL that stuff?

Did you REALLY walk from MGM (DHS) back to your hotel? HAve you learned nothing from Master T:eek:

Nascar - eh....no fan...do watch the Pocono 500 every year though since it is a local race:thumbsup2
Yes. Yes. No.
And I watch ALL the races. I even DVR'd the ones I missed while I was in Disney. :sad2:

Yeah he was smart;)
I am guessing you must have been on the WVa Turnpike ?? ( Toll Road ?)
No matter how you cut WVa.. it is curvy and twisty. Now that I live in Va.. when I "Went Home" I had to got through WVa to get to Ky.

That "Gold Domed" bldg. is the State Capital Of WVa.. it is Real Gold Leaf
and it is located in Charleston .

Probably took I 77 down to Charlotte ?? Or did you cut over and catch I 81 anywhere ?? Hmmmm
We took 77 and I do think we were on 81 for a bit....can't remember now...
The roads were like silly string.
Crazy man. :eek:

I'm hooked! Can't wait to hear the Disney details!!
Hello....Kelli? :welcome: glad you came by! I'm getting to the Disney parts....first Nascar then Disney!!!! :yay:

I'm here, I'm here! :yay:
Yay V! Welcome aboard my friend!! :lovestruc

Yeah he was smart;)

Still stumped:confused3 Then again for the last 4 years if a movie hasn't included the Wiglles, Playhouse Disney, BUzz Lightyear or Power Rangers I haven't seen it :sad2:

Sheesh...she didn't even tell ya. You would have had the coffee on right ::yes::

Hi Janet... I was here first... I JUST HAD SOMETHING TO SAY !!!! :rotfl2:[/COLOR]

:snooty:

Still stumped:confused3 Then again for the last 4 years if a movie hasn't included the Wiglles, Playhouse Disney, BUzz Lightyear or Power Rangers I haven't seen it :sad2:

O.K 30 Points Who knows the Brain Teaser of the day ??

Sheesh...she didn't even tell ya. You would have had the coffee on right ::yes::

Uh that would be OLD coffee.. :scared: I had been in Fla for 3 days then :crazy2:

Thats allot of stuff!! :rolleyes: What car did you take down? I`m assuming the Odessy Van? (sp?) I know nothing about NASCAR. sorry..:duck: can we still be friends?
I would love to meet up next summer.! :goodvibes I think its about 2 hours from us..

The morning dawned cold and sunny. I was loading the car thinking, “Wow. It’s cold. Thank goodness it’s going to be warm where we are heading. I’m freezing!” Michigan has a habit of doing that. It’s 90 and humid every day for a week and then it’s 45 degrees. Keeping you on your toes! Anyway, days later I thought fondly of that chilly morning while I was walking from MGM (yeah, yeah Hollywood Studios...) to our hotel and thinking I may DIE from heatstroke first.
You did WHAT??? :eek: I think you and Jo are long lost sisters or something! :lmao:

I knew about the Nascar thing, but seriously thought you were joking. :rotfl2: Nascar?? Really?? :confused: :lmao: I've seen the Long Beach Grand Prix, does that count? :rolleyes1

Hi, Mel, you can call me Jamie! And you'll be really jealous knowing that I live 20 minutes from the Bristol track! Shamefully, I am not a Nascar fan and even used to turn down my best friend when she got free tickets to the Coca Cola 500 in Charlotte every year. I guess that's akin to living in Orlando and not liking Disney, huh?

But I love your report, and how you pack snacks like we do. Actually I need to go finish packing snacks now b/c we're leaving for the Smoky Mts. today! Pool time and pancakes, that's all I want! So, I'll catch up when we get back Sun., hope to see lots of updates then!

Sign me up - You've captured my attention. I hope you're right about the Funnel cakes have less calories in FL :rotfl: I've been on a diet and lost 20 lbs so far and I need a break :laughing: So I'm gonna pretend that's true and enjoy myself a little in 5 weeks and yep, I think Funnel cake may have to be on the snack list. :rolleyes1

Looking forward to what's next!! :surfweb:

Cathy

I'm here, let the gaems begin.

Great start.

And for the record Disney Food contains no calories or fat, it's all part of the magic;)

Wooohooo it's started, I've only read the intro so far and Mel you're hilarious :rotfl2:

I do not think I can imagine being in a car for that long...although some perverse part of me wants to drive down just to see the country a little.

Great start.

You did WHAT??? :eek: I think you and Jo are long lost sisters or something! :lmao:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Wow Mel that sure was a lot of stuff, good job you did drive!

Glad you got to do some Nascar stuff I know how much you love it :goodvibes

So how long was the journey all in all?

I am familiar with the route you took through WVa and VA, very hilly, not for people who get easily motion sick that is for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter