Medical Bill help

Just asked a question. And yes, one trip WAS a gift, the original poster says. The second trip was a stay at a deluxe hotel, yes, just after getting off Medicaid. She was able to not just get caught up with all her past bills, but to go on a trip with deluxe accommodations soon after.

That's some awesome budgeting skills.

It looks like the hospital is trying to get the balance from me that the insurance did not pay. I thought that was illegal.

You need to call Medicaid with that bill in your hand. (and the identifying info Medicaid will need of course)

Just like with any insurance, if there is a balance after the insurance has paid, you are responsible.

So NOT true in every circumstance. If the provider has contracted with the insurance carrier to NOT charge the extra, they CANNOT legally do so. If they try to, the patient is NOT responsible for it.

I once had a good day after getting a bill from a primary care physician, who was a preferred provider with my insurance company. She wanted me to pay what insurance didn't pay. I smiled, called the insurance company. They asked me to hold, they got on the phone with the doctor's office, and it was taken care of in under 5 minutes. Just because a doctor wants you to pay does NOT mean you're legally or morally obligated to pay it. If that doctor contracts with a company, they are legally and morally obligated to follow their agreements.

I would NEVER pay a $1500 bill that just showed up in my mailbox from 4 years ago without investigating it first.

Absolutely!

About 2 years ago a lab sent me a bill for something they did for DS, some little bit they hadn't charged at the time. I got the EOB at around the same time, and the EOB stated quite clearly that the entire charge was denied because it wasn't billed in a timely fashion, and stated that I wasn't obligated to pay it either. And i'm telling you that was around 6 months after service, not four years.

That's just common sense. A person should know to do that without asking random strangers on a message board.

Hospital bills are SCARY. Insurance, and especially insurance like Medicaid/care, is SCARY. Combine the two, along with something that happened 4 years ago, and you've got something that not everyone has encountered.

In Ohio, the Medicaid program is ran through HMO's and the one I was assigned to covered 100%. I had no copay and the hospital was in-network. There was no anesthesiologist, so I don't have to deal with that. Unfortunately, because it was Medicaid, I never received a bill or an EOB, so I have no paperwork. What is really fishy is the hospital received a payment the day before sending me the bill.

So, aside from calling them, I have no idea what to do next.

There is nothing to do aside from calling them, right now. Call them first. Then move on from there.

Our 2006 trip was a wedding present, so we did not have to pay for that. My husband lost his job in early 2007 and I was in college. As soon as he had a new job, we got off welfare, which was well before the 2008 trip. Since then, I have graduated college and he and I work very hard for our trips.

There is no shame in getting help when you need it, and we needed it at the time. Now, we are productive members of society who pay our taxes to help others in need.

Bless your heart. That is exactly what it is there for. :grouphug:

So, this was between the trip to the Polynesian Resort on your honeymoon in 2006, and the trip to the Wilderness Lodge in 2008?

I was thinking the same thing. State aid and deluxe accommodations? Shoot, I should quit my job so I can stop cramming my 4 kids into the ASMu family suites. :sad2:

Bless your heart. That is exactly what it is there for. :grouphug:
That's exactly what I was thinking. The OP needed help during a difficult time. As soon as she was back on her feet, she got off of Medicaid. Why all the hating on someone who faced adversity and overcame it?

OP, call the hospital first and ask for a billing supervisor. Ask for a detailed bill that shows what was charged and what Medicaid paid for. It's very possible that somewhere along the line, they billed your old insurance instead. Especially since the bill is so old. They may have also coded it wrong and entered a code for something that Medicaid would not have covered, such as a cosmetic procedure.

I'm just astonished that they tracked you from OH to OK. It seems as if hospitals are getting desperate to recover unpaid bills. Good luck.

Thank you all. I called the hospital this morning and they are sending the bill back to the HMO to deal with. I guess it is a waiting game after that.

P.S. I do try to make good money decisions now-a-days, I just needed to find the budget board. :goodvibes

Just asked a question. And yes, one trip WAS a gift, the original poster says. The second trip was a stay at a deluxe hotel, yes, just after getting off Medicaid. She was able to not just get caught up with all her past bills, but to go on a trip with deluxe accommodations soon after.

That's some awesome budgeting skills.

So you're ripping on the OP for 'not getting caught up' on a bill that she didn't even know about? Unreal!:eek:

So you're ripping on the OP for 'not getting caught up' on a bill that she didn't even know about? Unreal!:eek:

No, I'm not. I presume she got caught up on all the bills that most people normally have. You know, utilities, rent or mortgage, etc. I never mentioned this specific bill-she didn't know about it-just "bills" in the general sense. I guess I presumed that if things were so tough, she'd have to get caught up on all her bills, not just some medical bill that she didn't know about.

My mistake, presuming she was not able to pay all her known bills promptly, despite being on Medicaid. The original poster could have been paying every bill right on time, and getting assistance too. I just presumed that if she was getting Medicaid, she had trouble paying other bills too.

I know that when I get enough money to do so, I pay back all my unpaid bills, at least the ones that I'm aware of! I guessed that the original poster did so too, when her situation changed enough for her to get off Medicaid. Not only paid off all her bills, but was able to spend extra on a trip to the Wilderness Lodge. Unfortunately, she didn't know about the bill for $1500, so couldn't pay it, of course.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she was given a stay at the Poly, followed by being able to qualify for Medicaid, still paid all her bills on time, and then followed up with a stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Years later, she got a bill for $1500 that she incurred while on Medicaid, and is letting her HMO handle it, based on her last post. AND is going to Hawaii next year!

Again, that's some mighty fine budgeting.

It's okay Duffy, I know you're not being mean. You're just having to look at an incomplete picture and its confusing.

The Hawaii trip is still in the planning stages, hence the question mark. We bought dvc a couple of years ago, (after we got our good paying jobs,) so accommodations are covered. But if the plane tix are too much we're going to scrap that trip.

My family is very frugal now, we have a budget we go by and save where we can. We also give what we can too. Our lives have done a 180 from that time and we are grateful.

Disney is our treat, when we can afford it; but bills and savings always come first.

OP You are a lot nicer than I would be. I do think that Duffy is being mean, judgmental and very ichy.... You know what they say about karma. 's..'s..'s.

It's okay Duffy, I know you're not being mean. You're just having to look at an incomplete picture and its confusing.

The Hawaii trip is still in the planning stages, hence the question mark. We bought dvc a couple of years ago, (after we got our good paying jobs,) so accommodations are covered. But if the plane tix are too much we're going to scrap that trip.

My family is very frugal now, we have a budget we go by and save where we can. We also give what we can too. Our lives have done a 180 from that time and we are grateful.

Disney is our treat, when we can afford it; but bills and savings always come first.

Op...you are MUCH nicer than me! I am the first one to be upset with those that mooch off the system. I drive by the projects every day to get to my house and some of them drive cars I could never imagine. HOWEVER, I believe it is there to use a stepping stone. Just like you did. And, I commend you for that. I was laid off twice in 2 years so I know what it was like. Luckily, we did not need welfare. However, I did need unemployment. And, I DID go to WDW while on unemployment. No, I did not collect the week I was gone. When I reported the next week and they asked if I was willing and available to work I answered truthfully, No. When they asked why I said I was on vacation. They thanked me for my honesty. When I did get another job, I continued paying in to my taxes as I always have. And, as I'm sure your DH had until he got laid off. I only hope those posters criticizing you don't fall on hard times. After all, they shouldn't be on the internet since it's a luxury. Shouldn't eat steak since it's a luxury. Shouldn't go on any vacations since they are luxuries, shouldn't let their children go on field trips or have any other activities since they are luxuries too.

I see you have contacted the hospital. It sounds like they billed you in error. It does happen. My children's dentist billed me for their cleanings. Heck, I am budget minded and didn't just pay it without agreeing to it. :rolleyes1 Turns out they forgot to bill my secondary insurance. It was their error.

OP - I congratulate you again and hope your good fortune continues.

Years later, she got a bill for $1500 that she incurred while on Medicaid, and is letting her HMO handle it, based on her last post. AND is going to Hawaii next year!

Again, that's some mighty fine budgeting.

You make it sound so nasty. But if she had an HMO at the time, they are the ones who should be dealing with it! If you have insurance, use it. If you had insurance and got a bill for that time, send it to the insurance company; they are the ones to deal with it!

It's not bad budgeting to want the companies you contracted with to take care of what they were supposed to take care of.

My FIL, back before I met him, had his own shipping business (like cargo ships type of shipping, not UPS Store). He had business insurance and lawyers and all of that. He incorporated to protect himself. He then did a favor for an old friend. He then retired and closed his business. Unfortunately, that favor was found out, and it got him (and the one he did the favor for) in trouble with the Malaysian and American governments, had to pay a bunch of money.

The act happened while he had insurance and lawyers. He SHOULD HAVE contacted his attorneys. Instead, he meekly surrendered his *paid off house*, the family home of his children. Just gave it over to the government. To pay off a debt that should NEVER have hit his personal finances at all. The whole point of incorporating and having protection of insurance is to protect parts of your life.

The point of having insurance is that THEY take care of these things, to the amount in the contract. And it's entirely appropriate for her to have it sent to the HMO, not just hand over the money like my FIL handed over their home.

OP- or anyone- always question your insurance if it ever looks incorrect
This happened last month with my current insurance where they said I had incomplete coverage- even tho medical events the week before and after we're covered- causing this agent to re-run it and it was 100percent covered!!

Op...you are MUCH nicer than me! I am the first one to be upset with those that mooch off the system. I drive by the projects every day to get to my house and some of them drive cars I could never imagine. HOWEVER, I believe it is there to use a stepping stone. Just like you did. And, I commend you for that. I was laid off twice in 2 years so I know what it was like. Luckily, we did not need welfare. However, I did need unemployment. And, I DID go to WDW while on unemployment. No, I did not collect the week I was gone. When I reported the next week and they asked if I was willing and available to work I answered truthfully, No. When they asked why I said I was on vacation. They thanked me for my honesty. When I did get another job, I continued paying in to my taxes as I always have. And, as I'm sure your DH had until he got laid off. I only hope those posters criticizing you don't fall on hard times. After all, they shouldn't be on the internet since it's a luxury. Shouldn't eat steak since it's a luxury. Shouldn't go on any vacations since they are luxuries, shouldn't let their children go on field trips or have any other activities since they are luxuries too.

I see you have contacted the hospital. It sounds like they billed you in error. It does happen. My children's dentist billed me for their cleanings. Heck, I am budget minded and didn't just pay it without agreeing to it. :rolleyes1 Turns out they forgot to bill my secondary insurance. It was their error.

OP - I congratulate you again and hope your good fortune continues.
I am the same way. I am the FIRST to get irritated usually, however - it is there for a reason!!
I volunteer and work with a lot of young girls who have babies. I tell them to get whatever assistance they can to get dependable childcare so they can go to school. I tell them to get the baby on medicaid so the baby can get good medical care. They need to do whatever they can to go to school so they can get a good job!! I tell them to use every single resource they can think of so they can pull themselves out of being in a place of dependence.
OP, you have nothing to be ashamed of!

I am a billing manager at a hospital so I do have some experience. One thing is that a bill becomes "stale" or uncollectible at 7 years, not 4. The other thing is that in some states insurance is offered to all uninsured people. Here you can get Medicaid (known as Dr. Dinosaur), VHAP or Catamount Plan HMOS and you are assessed a monthly premium depending on your household income.

The only way that the OP can get the right answers is from the facility. All kinds of factors could have caused the delay and could be anyones fault.

If she provided inacurate information might be her fault. If the facility dropped the ball, their fault.

:thumbsup2OP I would like to commend you on maintaining your "composure" and not feeding into the negativity in this thread. Well done. And bravo for dealing with your own hard times and moving on to help others through theirs!

:thumbsup2OP I would like to commend you on maintaining your "composure" and not feeding into the negativity in this thread. Well done. And bravo for dealing with your own hard times and moving on to help others through theirs!

The strange thing about the Dis, stating an opposing opinion or view makes the thread a negative. Should people be doing handstands because the OP has been able to go on trips to WDW, hopes to go to Hawaii next year, and taxpayers paid for the birth of her child during a downtime? This is why our system is going broke, we don't hold people accountable. When we moved and our hmo didn't transfer, we paid cash for our child's birth, cash to the obgyn, had to prepay everybody before the 7th month. I'm sure that we would have loved to go to WDW instead of paying our share. Sorry OP, you have the money for DVC but want sympathy that the hospital is trying to bill you for $1500. You already have challenged the bill with the hospital and hope to get it "taken care of" by the hmo. Perhaps you could donate a like amount to a homeless shelter or home for unwed mothers.

The strange thing about the Dis, stating an opposing opinion or view makes the thread a negative. Should people be doing handstands because the OP has been able to go on trips to WDW, hopes to go to Hawaii next year, and taxpayers paid for the birth of her child during a downtime? This is why our system is going broke, we don't hold people accountable. When we moved and our hmo didn't transfer, we paid cash for our child's birth, cash to the obgyn, had to prepay everybody before the 7th month. I'm sure that we would have loved to go to WDW instead of paying our share. Sorry OP, you have the money for DVC but want sympathy that the hospital is trying to bill you for $1500. You already have challenged the bill with the hospital and hope to get it "taken care of" by the hmo. Perhaps you could donate a like amount to a homeless shelter or home for unwed mothers.

The system is going broke because there are people who use the system as a way of life. If it was used as it was intended as a short term stepping stone on a return to independence then there wouldn't be the major issues we have now and I doubt that there would be far less hostility towards people who have used things like Medicaid in the past. I say that coming from a place on both sides. Medicaid also paid in part for the birth of one of my children as well as the prenatal visits. That doesn't make me someone who sucked off the system, it was there when we were in need of it, we used it as intended and are no longer in need of it and haven't been for many years.

I also work in the school system. I can not tell you how many families I see who are life long abusers of the system. We recently had a family who was crying to the school that they needed money for heat. I have known this family for years in the school setting and they had been very open that they were in welfare system with me. The teachers took up a fund for them donated money in their name to a local oil delivery company. Never got so much as a thank you. It was also discovered that they get heating assistance as well. The kids came back to school after Christmas break raving about the Big screen TV and Wii and cell phones that mom and dad had gotten them. That is the kind of thing I take issue with. Not someone using the system appropriately as it was intended.

I don't get the feeling that the OP was using the system for anything other than what it was intended. I also don't get the feeling that if she is told that this balance is her's to pay that she will disregard it. It took four years for this bill to come to her. Any good consumer would be checking it out. She may find out that the bill was already paid and that during updating of software some statements were sent out that shouldn't have been. It is appropriate to ask those questions especially when a bill comes that far after the fact. She also stated that she does support casues for people who are not as fortunate as she is now. I didn't read the post as being an attempt to look for sympathy.

I know that there are people who come here "whine" about their financial troubles, ant sympathy and claim a trip was gifted to them. As a family who did have a WDW trip gifted to them (we went along with a relative who picked up the cost) when we couldn't have otherwise paid for it ourselves, I know it does happen. As often as stated on the DIS I don't know, but I was the recipient of a WDW trip. Our first trip in fact. We then saved every single penny we could to pay for our next trip on our own in full.

I also recieved a bill for services 3 or 4 years after the date of services. These services were through Child Development Services (Speech OT etc) for one of my children. CDS makes it very clear that their services are FREE to the individuals who are enrolled, regardless of their financial standing. The bill I got was for approximately $3000. I contacted CDS and the Billing department of the providers who were contracted for the services. I recieved the bill three more times after that. Could I have paid a bit here and there and just paid off the bill. Sure but the services were supposed to be provided free of charge at the time those services were given. It was not my responsibility to pay that bill and I didn't. I don't feel that I abused the system.

Familyoffive I am glad that you were in a position that you were able to pay for your prenatal and birth expenses out of pocket. Thats great! I also hope that should you be in the position to need asistance, that you do so responsibly and only for the amount of time necessary. I sure you would.

ETA Never in my life have I been able to do a hand stand or a cartwheel for that matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter