Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

Can anyone back from a Dubrovnik stop let me know about getting in to town from the port? Was there a shuttle bus and if so the cost? On the Baltic in Sweden DCL ran a free shuttle bus, but in Copenhagen we had to make our way on local buses - interesting experience!

Many thanks

Celestine

DCL also designated exclusive shuttle buses for Disney alone, which is great!

they did eagerly take euros--they tell you the exchange rate in euros (7kn per euro) and dollars (5kn per $).

Not sure if anyone following this thread is not booked yet (probably not ;)), but DCL just released OGT rates for the Aug 24th sailing.

VGT rates on the August 31st sailing.... I was hoping for an upgrade but it looks like it won't happen...

VGT rates on the August 31st sailing.... I was hoping for an upgrade but it looks like it won't happen...

Wow that VGT is a pretty good price.

Our server told us on the June 1 sailing that he and other CMs had moved into Deck 2 cabins which were empty so that they could start refurb work on crew cabins. Our sailing was not full (I'd been checking to see if I could buy a port upgrade), but there was a sign saying that the sailing was "full."

I doubt they will give upgrades for the 8/31 sailing....they will probably just start doing work on the cabins which are empty prior to the dry dock.

If I'm not mistaken Croatia entered the EU on July 1st so I'm pretty sure you can now use Euros there!

It could take years. link

they did eagerly take euros--they tell you the exchange rate in euros (7kn per euro) and dollars (5kn per $).

There are some places that will only accept Kuna (for example, to go up on the city walls, it's 90 Kuna for adults, 30 Kuna for youth, no Euro accepted). If you use your CC in stores, they convert Kuna to US Dollars.

The ship exchanged for Kuna onboard and would take Kuna bills back if you exchanged with them. They had increments of 50 Kuna when we exchanged on the inaugral. We had some left over and just gave it to our guide as part of his tip. We paid him in Euro per his agreement but then just added to the tip we were already giving him by giving him our leftover Kuna bills.

We heard a lot in Italy about how switching over to the Euro killed their economy and they are still recovering from that. Our guide was telling us how Croatia has hopefully learned from Italy's experience and will be more cautious in the switch to Euro for currency and that it will be a long while (as Woody has indicated). Everything we read before going was that Euro was accepted as a courtesy and nod to the importance of tourism to Dubrovnik - our guide said that 70% of the employment in Dubrovnik is directly related to tourism.

They only take Kuna or credit cards for the cable cars also. Everywhere else euros were taken. They tended to ask for Kuna first but took euros with no problem. And for all you gelato fans out there, you get the most "bang for your euro" in Dubrovnik. And it was really good.

They only take Kuna or credit cards for the cable cars also. Everywhere else euros were taken. They tended to ask for Kuna first but took euros with no problem. And for all you gelato fans out there, you get the most "bang for your euro" in Dubrovnik. And it was really good.

What is the going rate (kuna or euro)? Trying to decide how much kuna to bring

Celestine

I'm booked for next summer, but just curious where you see the OGT VGT rates? I thought they popped up when you just searched for a cruise, but I don't see them.

Thanks!
Kim

Our server told us on the June 1 sailing that he and other CMs had moved into Deck 2 cabins which were empty so that they could start refurb work on crew cabins. Our sailing was not full (I'd been checking to see if I could buy a port upgrade), but there was a sign saying that the sailing was "full."

I doubt they will give upgrades for the 8/31 sailing....they will probably just start doing work on the cabins which are empty prior to the dry dock.

Didn't you notice there were a lot of Disney CMs traveling with us? I met several at the adult pool. Disney gave them some GREAT deals to fill that boat up and if they could find a cheap way to Europe (or were based in Europe) it was popular!

We were in Dubrovnik last month. Croatia's official currency was and is the kuna. We visited the City Walls, and took the cable car to Mount Srd. They only accepted kunas or a credit card. At the post office, we bought postage stamps with kunas.

While some street vendors and merchants accept euros, I find that they round up, charging more for the convenience.

Woody

There are some places that will only accept Kuna (for example, to go up on the city walls, it's 90 Kuna for adults, 30 Kuna for youth, no Euro accepted). If you use your CC in stores, they convert Kuna to US Dollars.

The ship exchanged for Kuna onboard and would take Kuna bills back if you exchanged with them. They had increments of 50 Kuna when we exchanged on the inaugral. We had some left over and just gave it to our guide as part of his tip. We paid him in Euro per his agreement but then just added to the tip we were already giving him by giving him our leftover Kuna bills.

We heard a lot in Italy about how switching over to the Euro killed their economy and they are still recovering from that. Our guide was telling us how Croatia has hopefully learned from Italy's experience and will be more cautious in the switch to Euro for currency and that it will be a long while (as Woody has indicated). Everything we read before going was that Euro was accepted as a courtesy and nod to the importance of tourism to Dubrovnik - our guide said that 70% of the employment in Dubrovnik is directly related to tourism.

Thanks for all that info! If I hadn't have known that the official currency was still Kuna I probably wouldn't have exchanged for any :thumbsup2

I thought it was 20%. But keep in mind that if you don't fly direct to the US from Barcelona (and fly to another EU country thru a Layover or extended vacation) you won't have the opportunity to pick up the forms to get it refunded. We flew from BCN-AMS and there were no forms. (I am assuming you meant VAT tax, right?)

It's a 20% tax. Getting the refund can be tricky. We didn't read the pamphlet carefully and were not able to get the money back. Here's the trick, get your receipts stamped at customs before taking them to global blue!

Our server also told us that the crew cabins are already being redone. She said that many of the crew are living in regular guest cabins because of this. That would be the cause for no upgrades.

I thought it was 20%. But keep in mind that if you don't fly direct to the US from Barcelona (and fly to another EU country thru a Layover or extended vacation) you won't have the opportunity to pick up the forms to get it refunded. We flew from BCN-AMS and there were no forms. (I am assuming you meant VAT tax, right?)

The merchant provides the VAT refund form at the point of sale. You must get the form stamped by customs agents at the airport where you exit the EU. I have had forms stamped at AMS before getting on a US-bound flight.

lilpooh108 said:
Not sure if anyone following this thread is not booked yet (probably not ;)), but DCL just released OGT rates for the Aug 24th sailing.

So annoying, paid more for my inside cabin than these are being offered for. Does this mean no upgrades??

Hi. Are the dining times shifted for ports like Rome or La Spezia to accommodate later tour return times? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter