Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

To the cruisers in July and August---

Would someone be so kind as to take a picture of the luggage storage counter that is newly available in port after disembarkation and post it in one of the threads (or TR)? There is now a counter right next to where the suitcases are lined up after you get off the Magic.

We are planning on doing the WBTA or EBTA next year (haven't decided) and would great appreciate this information. I had my camera put away when I saw it and I wished I'd snapped a picture to get the info, company name, prices, etc.

TIA :thumbsup2

Is this a company that offers to store luggage post cruise? I will try to look for it but honestly it depends how rushed we feel. Our flight is at 10:45am and my teenage boys are NOT morning people. It will be interesting to say the least. :crazy2:
I'd LOVE to do a TA cruise! Enjoy now before you have to start dealing with school schedules. :thumbsup2 What a great way to get to/from Europe too. Way more comfy than flying. :cloud9:

We got to be one of the chosen doors on the Greek cruise. They sent a lovely gift bag to our room the next day!:)

Marni

That's awesome! How about some pictures? I know we're out; all of our magnets are personalized. The ones that aren't seem to grow legs & wander....

Is this a company that offers to store luggage post cruise? I will try to look for it but honestly it depends how rushed we feel. Our flight is at 10:45am and my teenage boys are NOT morning people. It will be interesting to say the least. :crazy2:
I'd LOVE to do a TA cruise! Enjoy now before you have to start dealing with school schedules. :thumbsup2 What a great way to get to/from Europe too. Way more comfy than flying. :cloud9:

Yes, apparently now there is a counter right in the terminal. We saw it but we were late for our transfer so I ran right past it. If you remember, you remember. It's not a huge deal.

My DD starts year-round school next July....so next May is actually last year we can do the EBTA. That's our major motivation. If I end up doing the WBTA instead I'd have to leave her and DH at home. My mom (who is a major DCL fan) doesn't care if DD misses school. She said, "Who cares it's just kindergarten!" :rotfl2: So yea, um, I guess the WBTA is technically still in the running.

We are having our final sea day today, and I am at character breakfast while the boys are still sleeping and DH is going for a run around Deck 4. I had the blueberry pancakes for breakfast, but after 23 days of being fed, I guess it's time to start tapering off (LOL). So I know there are several of you heading to the Venice cruise shortly, so I thought I would report on the ports.

Venice: We arrived between 11:00 and 1:00... It takes a long while to sail in through the canal, so plan to have your camera ready and stake out a position on the starboard side. We found that the upper decks were crowded, but deck 4 was a great eye-level location for sail-in. People in San Marco Square were lined up to watch us coming in. The terminal is a bit of a distance from town, but there are several options. We did an excursion the afternoon we arrived to get a lay of the land and not waste precious Venice moments trying to sort out what the guide might just explain to us. It was a good decision. We did the Murano Glass and Burano Lace excursion. You get picked up from the ship on a motor launch (think Friendship boat from Epcot only bigger) and two tour groups went together. They give you a tour of the not-grand canal on the way and we stopped at Burano first for about 45 minutes. There is some shopping here and we took advantage of the time to get our usual souvenirs as well as some buranelli (I think that's what they are called) cookies that they make there. There is a public WC for 1,50¬ or you can get a stand-up coffee at a cafe and use theirs. Burano is noted for the colorful houses which make for nice pictures. There is a lace shop where a woman sits and makes lace that you can watch the demonstration. I would recommend going a little later in your time there rather than with the crowd... That's what we did... Those who went with the main group said it was crowded and hard to see.

From Burano, we went to Murano where we went to a glass blowing factory and watched a demonstration. If you have ever seen glass blowing, you know something about what to expect, but even so, this was amazing. After the 15-minute demonstration, they take you to their glass shop and show you some items and then you can wander thru their shop. We bought a really nice vase which they wrapped us seriously secure for getting it home. We had a total of 30-minutes for shopping both in the glass store and at the other shops lining the waterfront, but unlike our time in Burano where we got to see more of the island, we didn't see much beyond the glass factory. Then we returned to the ship, arriving back around 6:15. (our meeting time was 1:30). The weather was hot and humid... The worst humidity we had all trip.

To get from Venice to town, we opted to walk the 5-7 minutes from the ship to the People Mover which costs 1¬ per person each way to Pzle Roma to catch the vaporetto / waterbus. DH and I went out the first night to scope out how to get to San Marco Square as we had a tour there the next morning and needed an idea of how much time it would take. We bought the 24-hour vaporetto pass for 20¬ each which let us use their transportation, on and off as much as we like, for 24-hours. While at the ticket office, we also bought 12-hour passes for the boys so we wouldn't have to wait the next morning in case the line was long. We used the #2 line vaporetto to go down the Grand Canal to San Marco Square. Unlike the #1 that stops at each stop on the grand canal, the #2 stops at the busier ones, but takes less time to get there. It was sprinkling (the only rain I recall us having) when we got on, but by the time we got to San Marco Square, it had stopped. We left the ship just after 7:30 and with a few missteps along the way, we were at the Square before 9:00 so we figured a minimum of an hour's travel time was best to allow for the morning. The Canal was so cool to see in the dusk hour, and San Marco Square at night is so not busy that we were able to stop and look around without being jammed in a crowd. We took some pictures and then headed back as we knew the People Mover didn't run all night (it stops before 11:00 so double check the times before planning to use it... Reports are that it is a lengthy walk back from Pzle Roma although a closer stop on the other side if the port area is Tronchetta which we didn't walk that far over to see... Also depending on which spot the ship is in, that makes a difference.

The second day in Venice, we met up with some other DISers and made our way over to the square where we had tickets for the secret itinerary tour at Doge's Palace. We really enjoyed seeing this and having a guide to set the stage for us, and after the tour we were able to explore the Palace with the same admission ticket which took us another 45 minutes because even though we didn't linger, there is a lot of ground to cover there. We got to pass over the Bridge of Sighs which was pretty cool. The Palace has a museum shop and a cafe. There are also toilettes which have a lady who stands there directing traffic... They are small so she is the gatekeeper. It was funny to me to see the men lined up just like the women :) After we finished at the Palace, we took some outside photos including the Bridge of Sighs so we have both inside and outside photos. We wandered through the square and then headed toward Rialto to get the vaporetto back to the ship. I would have liked more time to wander, but the boys were ready to get back and had been extremely patient, plus we knew it would take a while to get back. It took about an hour from Rialto to the ship because we had to wait for a vaporetto.

As it turned out, we didn't leave Venice for over an hour after our scheduled departure time because a couple was late and had left their kids in the Oceaneers Club, so we couldn't abandon the adults. It really made everyone mad because they were just shopping. It's not like they had a medical emergency or had lost passports or whatever... I can understand that. But the CMs are all reporting it was shopping. And the reason it upset people is that it messed up sail out for those on early dining. We should have passed by San Marco Square before dinner started, but it wasn't until 6:30 or so before we were there. I had plans to FaceTime a friend at home so he could watch but with the delay, he wasn't available any more, and because it wasn't fair to our servers to have us come to dinner so late, we tried to catch it but missed. Anyway, if you are sailing out of Venice and have early dining, I hope you are not delayed like our sailing was.

Dubrovnik: we arrived by 11:00 and had a private guide who took us to the Old City and then on a panoramic drive of the area. It was a lovey day and a beautiful area with a lot of history. He drove us to where the cable car takes you. Reports are that if you want to do the cable car, do it first before the line gets long. The price for the city walls is 90kuna for adults and 30kuna for youth.

Malta: since we did a tour last trip, we did laundry in the early morning and then went into town around 10:15. We walked to the Barracca Lift to get to the city and then to the archaeology museum in Valletta 5¬ entry). We wandered through some of the shops. Being a Sunday, it wasn't as busy. We stopped back at the gardens where I got some wifi and DH watched the presentation and firing of the cannons at noon which he reports was worth hanging around for.

So that's it. Sea day today which means packing.

Yes, apparently now there is a counter right in the terminal. We saw it but we were late for our transfer so I ran right past it. If you remember, you remember. It's not a huge deal.

My DD starts year-round school next July....so next May is actually last year we can do the EBTA. That's our major motivation. If I end up doing the WBTA instead I'd have to leave her and DH at home. My mom (who is a major DCL fan) doesn't care if DD misses school. She said, "Who cares it's just kindergarten!" :rotfl2: So yea, um, I guess the WBTA is technically still in the running.

I will try to take a photo tomorrow if photos are allowed in the terminal area. It's the same place where you ship things home.

I will try to take a photo tomorrow if photos are allowed in the terminal area. It's the same place where you ship things home.

Thanks Cindy!

I read your summary and your Venice day sounded so fun! I'm sorry that couple delayed everyone's plans. I just don't understand when people are that inconsiderate...making 3,000 people and an entire ship wait for their shopping :faint:

Hi Cindy,
I think you said you tendered in La Spezia on the first cruise but docked on the second one, correct? If so, is the dock area close to the tender, meaning the walking directions to the train station would be pretty much the same? Or are they different?

Hi Cindy,
I think you said you tendered in La Spezia on the first cruise but docked on the second one, correct? If so, is the dock area close to the tender, meaning the walking directions to the train station would be pretty much the same? Or are they different?

That's right, we tendered first, docked second. There was a shuttle bus from the dock to town but I don't remember seeing where it went as we were an all day excursion.

This is my first Med. cruise and I was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this question. My sister has celiac disease and must eat gluten free. We've done Disney cruises before and know she will be well taken care of on the ship. However, she is not sure that she will be able to get gluten free food at the ports, so we were going to try to pack a little lunch for her in our bag for the day while we're out on excursions. Is this okay or are you not allowed to bring food off of the ship in port?

Thanks in advance!

Feigned - you are only allowed to take packaged food off the ship. My wife and daughter is celiac and we have managed to find gluten free restaurants fairly easily using google.

nzdisneymom - can you tell us if there are special Mediterranean scrapbooks on the cruise? Maybe lilpooh or other previous cruisers will know too.

Feigned - you are only allowed to take packaged food off the ship. My wife and daughter is celiac and we have managed to find gluten free restaurants fairly easily using google.

Thanks for the info! :)

Any chance you have suggestions from past trips you might be willing to pass on?

Thank you for your help!

nzdisneymom - can you tell us if there are special Mediterranean scrapbooks on the cruise? Maybe lilpooh or other previous cruisers will know too.

Sorry, I didn't look in the store. I *think* I saw one of those scrapbooking events on the Navigators though.

Any chance you have suggestions from past trips you might be willing to pass on?

Thank you for your help!

My daughter has allergies and before our trip, we had my sis-in-law (who speaks Italian) write several cards for us which states what she's allergic to. One side of the card says "I have allergies" and the other side lists the food items with pictures. We never ended up using these, but it was nice to have. For one stop where the owner didn't speak enough English to understand, our tour guide explained the problem for us in Italian.

I also looked up foods that she could eat in each town before we went to get an idea of what to order.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help!

Feigned. There are many resources on line. We researched it and found celiac friendly restaurants in Nice(Lou Pilha), Rome(Ristorante Di Rienzo). We also made sure if we were doing a tour they were aware. Also make sure you know how to say celiac and gluten free in all of the languages you need to

Waiting in BCN to catch our flight home. It was an AMAZING cruise!!! To answer my previous question, we overnight end in Venice which is awesome!!!

Just off today from the Venice cruise as well! It was an amazing time and flew by. Turns out I love the classic ships better than the new ones now!
It was a bit disappointing to sail out of Venice an hour late. The couple that caused the delay sat behind us at dinner, and let's just say they showed up late all the time and didn't really have...manners.
But besides minor things the cruise was perfect! Great weather, great staff, amazing ports.
If anyone has questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.

Here is the picture.

http://medcruise2013.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/shipping-and-luggage-storage-at-port-in.html

Just off today from the Venice cruise as well! It was an amazing time and flew by. Turns out I love the classic ships better than the new ones now!
It was a bit disappointing to sail out of Venice an hour late. The couple that caused the delay sat behind us at dinner, and let's just say they showed up late all the time and didn't really have...manners.
But besides minor things the cruise was perfect! Great weather, great staff, amazing ports.
If anyone has questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.

What happened? They were late making the ship departure time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter