Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

So, have any of the recently returned med cruisers happened to have noticed the price of the shutters cd with all pictures and prints? Is it still 399?

It is however for the Barcelona - Barcelona sailings that's plus 21% tax, can't comment on what it will be for other sailings. If you are able to claim that back great .... for me being from the UK not so great. That goes for all merchandise :scared1:

:lmao: having just done this sailing with my mother I can say that I carried all of the good stuff she carried a purse for decoration ..... love you mum but just saying!

Also meant to add we got off at both tender ports - albeit at La Spezia just for a look around ... I did not go into the movie theatre where everyone waited and both days waited for open boarding to be announced ... if you're not in a rush I would recommend waiting for the announcement it took them very little time to clear the excursion guests.

Yeah but if we had done that we would have missed the 9:15 tour boat to the Cinque Terra (which turned out to be a highlight! So....

Plus since my mom is in bed at 9, she's ready to go about 7 AM :rotfl:

It is however for the Barcelona - Barcelona sailings that's plus 21% tax, can't comment on what it will be for other sailings. If you are able to claim that back great .... for me being from the UK not so great. That goes for all merchandise :scared1:

I can't get the tax back either:sad2: but I figure with the exchange rate it should come in at close to 400 Euro anyway. Thanks for answering!

This sounds ideal - do you have any further details, e.g. cost?

Glad to hear you had a great cruise

Celestine

I'm sure someone enquirer and was given a price close to $300 for a suitcase to be shipped to the US not sure about the holding services etc

I'm sure someone enquirer and was given a price close to $300 for a suitcase to be shipped to the US not sure about the holding services etc

Excess baggage or a prepurchased extra baggage is definitely cheaper! Not flying to US so really after costs for holding luggage. Our flight is that awkward time of too late to go direct to airport, but not quite late enough to do the DCL post cruise excursion

Celestine

I posted a trip report with my notes....

My camera was on my body with a cross body strap (Honestly how does a "purse" protect the camera unless you never take it out of the purse? The risk is when you are using it and folks can see it, so unless you plan not to use it I don't see the "purse" as the "solution"? And standing there dragging it in and out of the purse is probably just as risky as anything else. that's when your purse is open etc... I actually picked up a woman's wallet in Naples and handed it back to her after it fell out of her purse when she pulled out her camera!)

Actually Europe is a heck of a lot safer then the US. You won't be shot for refusing to hand over your purse....

We did not do any DCL excursions. Had a great time in Naples, Nice, Cinque Terra and a good time in Rome. I put my thoughts in my trip summary over on that board.

My room was prefect and my service was OUTSTANDING! Restored my faith in DCL after my "Dream" (or Nightmare) cruise a while back.

I did want to point out a couple of things on debarkation.

1. If you are flying Delta home that day you can check your bags at the port.
2. If you shopped too much they have a shipping service affiliated with UPS at the port waiting to take your stuff.
3. That same shipping service will either hold your luggage or deliver it to the BCN airport on the same day if you have a late flight and want to tour without your luggage!

Do you know if you can use the Delta service, if you booked air on your own, NOT through Disney? Did you still have to gather your luggage at the port and then go to a port Delta area? Or can you take care of it the night before?

I agree on the camera, I carry mine around my neck too, 3 trips now. Still looking for a comfy/safe neck strap...any suggestions?

Do you know if you can use the Delta service, if you booked air on your own, NOT through Disney? Did you still have to gather your luggage at the port and then go to a port Delta area? Or can you take care of it the night before?

We used the service and booked our air on our own. However, it was only available for the first 2 flights out of BCN. We carried our bags off, but you can still do it after you gather your bags if you put them out the night before.

I hope that helps.

I agree on the camera, I carry mine around my neck too, 3 trips now. Still looking for a comfy/safe neck strap...any suggestions?

This is not done on the Disney ship so you have to go find the check in area in the port with your luggage.

As for my camera strap, a cruiser on another thread suggested the BlackRapid strap and I LOVE IT! It's great. You wear the camera cross body so it seems to weigh much less, it's easy to swing up to use the camera etc.... I have the women's version, but it comes in a men's version too. Just a great strap! I also think it's less visible then the camera hanging around my neck. It hangs a little lower and is under your arm so it's not just screaming "camera" :)

This is not done on the Disney ship so you have to go find the check in area in the port with your luggage.

As for my camera strap, a cruiser on another thread suggested the BlackRapid strap and I LOVE IT! It's great. You wear the camera cross body so it seems to weigh much less, it's easy to swing up to use the camera etc.... I have the women's version, but it comes in a men's version too. Just a great strap! I also think it's less visible then the camera hanging around my neck. It hangs a little lower and is under your arm so it's not just screaming "camera" :)

I second the black rapid strap. They are great. DH and I both carry them.

Good to hear this about Black Rapid. :thumbsup2 I just got dh one for Father's Day. He had a strange look when he opened it but I think once he tries it, he'll like it more.

We finally got our flight info for our Med cruise on 8/17 from DCL air. We got a nonstop redeye flight to Barcelona and a nonstop flight home ton NJ. I was really surprised that DCL air booked us on a 10:45am flight on the day we get off the ship. DCL air always advised to book airfare after 12pm. Will this give me enough time to get my VAT refund at the airport?

We finally got our flight info for our Med cruise on 8/17 from DCL air. We got a nonstop redeye flight to Barcelona and a nonstop flight home ton NJ. I was really surprised that DCL air booked us on a 10:45am flight on the day we get off the ship. DCL air always advised to book airfare after 12pm. Will this give me enough time to get my VAT refund at the airport?

Are you flying into PHL? This is the flight time we have also. I'm surprised DCL would choose this too but also I'm glad they know lots of guests have early flights. I've been PMing with a June 8 cruiser who had same flight time home and she said it was no problem as they were off the ship by 7am. We both have private transfers back to BCN though. I plan to carry our luggage off in the morning. Will DCL provide you with transfers? Usually this is included with DCL air. We were told they would not provide transfers to any guest with a flight before 11am.

Having enough time to get a VAT refund would depend on if there's a line & how long it is I suppose. Hopefully some recent cruisers can tell us more.

For any past Med cruisers. Regarding the knees and shoulders rule for admission to churches, do ladies need to wear a skirt or are pants or capris allowed? We leave on Mon. and I'm trying ( but failing) to get my packing organized and as light as possible! Thanks.

For any past Med cruisers. Regarding the knees and shoulders rule for admission to churches, do ladies need to wear a skirt or are pants or capris allowed? We leave on Mon. and I'm trying ( but failing) to get my packing organized and as light as possible! Thanks.

Pants and capris are ok.

Pants and capris are allowed. Basically no short shorts /skirts above the knee and exposed shoulders (both sexes). No "wife beaters!":rotfl: Just respectful dress. Some women bring shawls or pashminas (sp?) to cover their shoulders but the many times we have traveled in Europe I never seen anyone turned away BUT most do dress respectfully. Hope you have a wonderful trip...We did :thumbsup2

I wore capris and my husband had shorts that were long and covered his knees (he rolled them up the rest of the time so they were not so long). My gilrs and I wore tee-shirts, but they covered our shoulders. My husband had a tank-top that he covered with a short-sleeved button down when we got to the churches.

At the Vatican I had to remove my baseball cap. I looked like hell but figured it was ok since no photos were allowed :lmao:

Are you flying into PHL? This is the flight time we have also. I'm surprised DCL would choose this too but also I'm glad they know lots of guests have early flights. I've been PMing with a June 8 cruiser who had same flight time home and she said it was no problem as they were off the ship by 7am. We both have private transfers back to BCN though. I plan to carry our luggage off in the morning. Will DCL provide you with transfers? Usually this is included with DCL air. We were told they would not provide transfers to any guest with a flight before 11am.

Having enough time to get a VAT refund would depend on if there's a line & how long it is I suppose. Hopefully some recent cruisers can tell us more.
We got off the boat on June 8th and had that 10:25 Delta flight back to JFK. We were off the boat by 7:30 and took Disney transfers t the airport. We had PLENTY of time. The airport was only 20 minutes from the port or so. (We booked air with DCL, so we had transfers. We also checked in and checked our luggage at the port with the Delta desk.)

We are flying into Newark via United 10:45am nonstop flight booked by DCL air. I did do DCL air and 2 night DCL hotel before the cruise. All transfers included. I also got great seat assignments but might upgrade to economy plus for flight to BCN. I am really suprised to be on that 10:45 am flight home. Maybe I am getting off before everyone else? You know how DCL is always telling people to book after 12pm. I am just glad its all nonstop and we are all sitting together.

We are flying into Newark via United 10:45am nonstop flight booked by DCL air. I did do DCL air and 2 night DCL hotel before the cruise. All transfers included. I also got great seat assignments but might upgrade to economy plus for flight to BCN. I am really suprised to be on that 10:45 am flight home. Maybe I am getting off before everyone else? You know how DCL is always telling people to book after 12pm. I am just glad its all nonstop and we are all sitting together.
My aunt and uncle wanted to take the Delta 10:25 flight home, not booked through DCL, and were told it was too early. They were a bit miffed when DCL scheduled my husband, me and our daughters on it. When we were disembarking anyone could get off, they didn't let us off first. But there was practically nobody else getting off. The atrium was empty. This was after 7:30am.

We're on USAirways, not Delta, so no option to check bags at the port. We plan to be picked up by 7am. I'd rather be super tired & sleep on the plane than take a risk of missing our flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter