• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meat & potato restaurants

Wyattsmom

Earning My Ears
This will be our second time at Disney. Last time we went with no ADRs. We ate quick service, and basically every meal was roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. I remember specifically just being famished at dinner. All I wanted was meat and potatoes. Apparently the rest of my family remembers that as well. The best meal we ate was at T Rex. That chicken was amazing!
I'm preparing my ADRs, but I would like to know your opinions. Where should we eat that will fit this request?
I'm a little nervous about eating outside the parks. Our stay is only five days in November. I'm not sure we are adept enough to navigate outside the parks.
If you have a recommendation for a restaurant that is mostly meat and potatoes, for dinner or lunch, please let me know. Also if you happen to know where it is located and the approximate travel time to get there, that would help.

ugh disney world is somewhere that i just cannot eat a heavy meal very well.
i don't want to move afterwards. thats why i like places that offer sandwiches because its not so heavy.

i can tell you that every buffet restaurant is gonna have meat and potatoes.
so places like crystal palace which is in MK and chef mickey's which is in the contemporary resort.
i also know that liberty tree tavern in MK has meat and potatoes as does 50's prime time in HS.

as far as travel time to the places that i mentioned that would depend on where in disney world you'd be coming from for each meal.
if you ate at crystal palace in MK and were in MK already then obviously its just a matter of walking from where ever you are in the park to the restaurant.
if you ate at chef mickey's and you were at MK then you'd want to hop on the monrail outside of MK's entrance and take it over the the contemporary which would only take a few minutes.

Your best bet is to just go through the menus and see what locations have items that meet your requirements for a meat and potato meal. I know some people that consider meat and potato meals to be beef and mashed, baked, or poached potatoes and others that consider any type of beef, pork, poultry (burgers included) and any type of potato (sweet included) to be a meat and potato meal.

Menus:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/disneydining.cfm
http://allears.net/dining/menu

I read every menu of every parks TS and QS restaurants and also everything at DTD to pick where we wanted to eat. Its fun, you should take a peek!! It also has the prices so you know what you are getting into before you get there.

If you're within your 180 day window you might want to check and see what options are still available to you and check their menus. If you're coming in November it seems like many ADRs are slim pickins! Just a heads up after trying to help a friend book ADRs this past weekend.

I agree with tobikaye, you need to check the menus to determine which restaurants meet your needs. I know one poster suggested 'OHana, but that does not have any potatoes at all - it is stir fried veggies and stir fried noodles.
Some one else suggested 50's PTC. I love the food there, but does fried chicken constitute meat, and does pot roast seved on top of mashed potatoes work for your family?
WDW is huge!!! (bigger than Manhattan). You do not want to be crisscrossing the world for meals. The best plan is to look for restaurants in the park you will be in or at the nearby resorts to that park.
Good Luck

I agree with tobikaye, you need to check the menus to determine which restaurants meet your needs. I know one poster suggested 'OHana, but that does not have any potatoes at all - it is stir fried veggies and stir fried noodles.
Some one else suggested 50's PTC. I love the food there, but does fried chicken constitute meat, and does pot roast seved on top of mashed potatoes work for your family?
WDW is huge!!! (bigger than Manhattan). You do not want to be crisscrossing the world for meals. The best plan is to look for restaurants in the park you will be in or at the nearby resorts to that park.
Good Luck

The lack of taters and all that stir fried stuff puts Ohana at the top of Tigger's Ally's "not go" list. I will eat Mexican and Italian without taters, that is about it. I always figured the stir fried veggies needed a place to go and be happy, that place doesn't include me. pirate:

If you are looking for meat and potatoes, the obvious choice for me is Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. There are also a few meat and mashed potato dishes at 50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios.

Also remember that most places can alter food a bit to suit your taste. A fancy steak with sauces can be served plain and often mixed veggies can be subbed for fries if they are available, even just on the kids menu. I do recommend getting those ADRs right away.

You've gotten a few good choices. I'm going to suggest Yachtsman. It doesn't get much more meat than this. There are steaks aging when you walk in! It's easy to get to from Epcot. You would just exit using the back International Gateway exit and it's a 5 minute walk to the Yacht Club. This might be nice since it's a little fancier and last time you didn't really get that experience.

I also agree with the Whispering Canyon Cafe. It's all you can eat meat! Also easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom. Just take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and the restaurant is right in the lobby. Spend the day at MK, take a break and a boat ride for dinner, then come back for fireworks. Easy!

Trying to give you options for all parks: I would suggest 50's Primetime at Hollywood Studios. Home cooking. They have a pot roast and mashed potatoes. I prefer the fried chicken though. It's really good. Bonus, its also located inside the park.

Animal Kingdom will be tougher for table service. Tusker House has prime rib on their buffet inside the park. You could also take the bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge after park closing at eat at Jiko (wonder filet and short ribs!) for a nicer meal or their buffet Boma is good and also has a craving station.

I never eat much steak at home, but I think it's all the walking at Disney, I eat meat at almost every meal! Feel free to pick my brain for more suggestions.

You've gotten a few good choices. I'm going to suggest Yachtsman. It doesn't get much more meat than this. There are steaks aging when you walk in! It's easy to get to from Epcot. You would just exit using the back International Gateway exit and it's a 5 minute walk to the Yacht Club. This might be nice since it's a little fancier and last time you didn't really get that experience.

I also agree with the Whispering Canyon Cafe. It's all you can eat meat! Also easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom. Just take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and the restaurant is right in the lobby. Spend the day at MK, take a break and a boat ride for dinner, then come back for fireworks. Easy!

Trying to give you options for all parks: I would suggest 50's Primetime at Hollywood Studios. Home cooking. They have a pot roast and mashed potatoes. I prefer the fried chicken though. It's really good. Bonus, its also located inside the park.

Animal Kingdom will be tougher for table service. Tusker House has prime rib on their buffet inside the park. You could also take the bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge after park closing at eat at Jiko (wonder filet and short ribs!) for a nicer meal or their buffet Boma is good and also has a craving station.

I never eat much steak at home, but I think it's all the walking at Disney, I eat meat at almost every meal! Feel free to pick my brain for more suggestions.
Another good steakhouse is Shula's, close to Yachtsman but at the Dolphin hotel. It's pricey and not on the DDP though.

We would suggest:

The Garden Grill
Be Our Guest (we have only been there for dinner, I can't vouch for lunch)
Le Cellier (we are not fans of the new all day signature menu, but this for sure is meat and potatoes!!!)

Last edited:
I have three "meat and potato" guys and here are some of our favorite 1 TS restaurants that for the most part fit that category:

Mama Melrose's
Grand Floridian Cafe (a pleasant surprise when we couldn't get our first choice)
Whispering Canyon
Biergarten
Teppan Edo

And we are looking forward to trying BOG (hopefully!) on our next trip

I do agree with everyone - take a look at the menus - that is what I did to try to find meals that fit with our taste preferences and have had very good success.

And I also forgot Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom if you like ribs. My DH also got some "beef" dish that was good but I don't remember exactly what it was.

We had the steak and pommes frites at BOG (dinner) and really liked the meal (came with a side of haricots verts). The pommes frites were excellent!

Whispering Canyon also has meat and potatoes, as does Boma (loved the mashed potatoes there).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter