ME during busy seasons?

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I have used ME 4 times so far, with mixed results. It always gets me where I need to go, it is just that sometimes it takes longer than I would like. But I figure for the price it can't be beat! But I have only used it in October and May, not what you could consider peak season. I am thinking about going next July 4 for a long weekend. Is there any noticable difference in using ME during a more busy time of year? Are the waits for the busses longer, or shorter because they send more busses? How about check in at the ME desk? Does it take forever?

I am trying to decide between the Dolphin and the Contemporary, and this info will help me. If ME is bad new during busy times I will just get a towncar, and not bother with ME. But if ME still runs ok, I will go with the Contemporary. Thanks for your help!

I have been there for less busy times, as well as busier times. I have to say that the DME counter is manned accordingly. Same with the buses. The thing that I will say is that if you go during a less busy time, but arrive at the DME counter with a bunch of other guests, it may take a bit longer to checkin. Disney/Mears seems to put enough people on to do the job, but if a bunch of guests show up and there are only 3 CMs on duty, it will take a bit longer.
But....on those busy arrival days, they are prepared for the hordes..they know there are going to be many more guests arriving so have plenty of CMs on duty as well as more buses coming and going.

Ive used it in march, july adn december adn havent had any problems with it at all....i agree with the pp that they do man the ME check in desk accordingly depending of season, and tim eof day....like when we arrived one morning at 9:30 AM there were 6 CMs working but when we arrived at midnight, there were only 2 CMs working

The busiest season does cause longer waits at the airport and returning to the airport. There are some resorts where there seems to be total confusion waiting for the DME during those times. Between February and the last of April I have seen many times where there are no busses in the airport, no busses in the commercial lanes and the lines inside get pretty long. I have mentioned that several times on the different threads.

The busiest season does cause longer waits at the airport and returning to the airport. There are some resorts where there seems to be total confusion waiting for the DME during those times. Between February and the last of April I have seen many times where there are no busses in the airport, no busses in the commercial lanes and the lines inside get pretty long. I have mentioned that several times on the different threads.

Do you have a real job? Or are you the official DME Observer.

The bottom line is: During busy periods and peaks, EVERY form of transportation has it's delays and problems. Problems that are caused from both the passengers and the companies charged with transporting them. It's not a perfect system regardless of which transportation venue you choose.

EDD, Please define many and confusion, and while your at it, substantiate your claim. It seems you spend WAY too much time worrying about DME.

IMHO, you are employing simple scare tactics, and I would like to see you stop it.

Again...have yet to take more than 85 mins total from deplaning to resort checkin, and that one time there were extending circumstances. I have yet to see any confusion at either resorts or at the airport. Certainly there are going to be guests who are unsure as to what they are doing, but you aren't going to see an entire group of 40 people walking around in a dazed state of confusion (my words, not anyone else's).
For about 90% of the time, DME works very well. Yes, there will be times the system gets stressed. But, you know what? I've had bad experiences with town cars as well...having to go in search of drivers, drivers making us wait up to 10 mins to bring the car around, smelly cars, etc. No one system is perfect. There will be times when things don't run smoothly. But, in my experience, DME runs pretty well the majority of the time.

Localdriver, IMHO I have presented the facts on the DME. I am retired from a real job with the federal government. So I do find time to go to the Orlando International Airport and work on things that may be helpful to passengers. As a matter of fact I am working on a new idea to move passengers through the commercial lanes much faster, during the very busy hours, than what is happening right now. The problem will take care of passengers when the airport is out of cabs.

In the past I submitted to the airport and spearheaded the current system that is being used in dropping off passengers on the commercial lanes A and B. Yes you, the driver, benefitted by now only having to drop off your passengers in the middle of the terminal. The old system gave you two places to drop off but most bus drivers would only make one stop and thereby inconveniencing many passengers. Check out the many threads on Disboarders having to walk a long way and unable to find porters. You don't see any now so you will have to go back.

Confusion, I am sure you have stepped out of your DME bus around 0610H, when you are usually late, in the morning at CBR or POP Century or it seems like anytime during the day at CBR. This also happens at many of the other resorts. The return to MCO is certainly not as smooth as the ride out to the resorts. I have actually seen women hollering at bus drivers because they were not able to get on. A lot of this is not the DME fault as I see passengers more responsible for that confusion, by arriving late missing their scheduled bus or complaining that they have to wait.

In order to come up with new ideas to support the Airport's theme. "Seamless transport to your resorts," I have done a lot of observing, not only DME, but the other forms of transportation. My observing is also authorized by the airport officials.

>>> Or are you the official observer
No, that's me. Once I (got and) drove my rental car to MK really early to watch the buses roll in and see if I could spot Tyler (Chip & ...) driving. Not successful. Saw the first ferry and first express monorail arrive about 15 minutes before rope drop. Also I stood around and watched DME buses near the debut of DME. Numerous off topic other observations in numerous other cities.

>>> The old system gave you two places to drop off
I thought DME buses were originally supposed to stop only once on the A side and once on the B side. Regular Mears shuttles had two dropoffs on each side.

>>> arriving late missing their scheduled bus
I recommend aiming to be back at your resort an hour before bus time. If your last activity before flying home is a meal, I suggest eating it at the airport inside security.

>>> no buses in the airport, lines long ...
Are there any recorded instances on these boards of an accident on Greene's Way (417) delaying the DME buses?

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/magicx.htm

Sorry Edd, but I have to disagree. That confusion is usually caused by guests deciding to use DME the way they want to, rather than the way DME says it should be used. Too many people use DME, with no knowledge of how it works. They make assumptions. They think that in order for something to truly be 'magical' it needs to suit their needs completely....the old 'I get to decide when I want to leave my resort' rather than leaving at the time you were told. "Oh....but I want to spend that extra hour in the parks, I don't think I really need to leave 3 hrs before my flight..that seems excessive to me'..so they show up for the next bus to come along, nevermind that that bus is already at 90% capacity or more!!!
If everyone 'got it' then DME would work the way it is supposed to. There are guests that are going to benefit from using a private car service....their needs will be met, they can come and go as they please. The problem comes when they try to combine the ease of coming and going when they want to, with the 'free' service of DME...you just can't do that.

The times I have seen any type of confusion is this..
1. those that bring all those checked bags to the bus....then complain about the time it takes to load and unload the bags at the airport and then at the resort, and then realize they should be tipping the driver.

2. those that feel that the departure time of noon for a 3:00 flight is excessive, so they try to get on the bus at 1:00. their paperwork tells them when to be there, they simply choose to ignore it, but get all in a twist when they find there is no room on that 1:00 bus!!!

3. those that 'thought' they would walk to the checkin counter and then immediatly hop on a bus...no waiting..after all it is called Disney's Magical EXPRESS!!!! Ah no....not quite.

No service is flawless...not one. As I have said, I have had issues with all my towncar experiences. Some were big issues, while others were just irritations..part of doing business so to speak. I have read so many times here that taking a towncar is the 'only' way to go, that you get to the resort so much faster, that only 'lesser guests' take the cattle car bus....sorry, but those are just not fair statements.

If a guest is knowledgable about what to expect then things should go okay for them. But, too many people arrive in Orlando with no clue whatsoever. They wander around with this glazed expression on their faces..they have done no homework whatsoever..none. There was a trip I made, awhile back...I was at MCO. I saw a person who looked completely lost, overheard her talking to her kids (seemed to be a mom only, no dad anywhere). She couldn't figure out where the Disney Magic bus was. I asked her if I could help, she said she knew the bus was there someplace but couldn't find it. Now...understand, we were at the gate area!!! She hadn't even taken the monorail to the main terminal!! I told her she had to take the monorail shuttle over to the main terminal and head to level 1 on Side B. 'No, the bus is right here, close to the gate area. I know it is, that's what I was told.' was her response. I told her that I had done DME many times and did she want me to go with her? "No, we'll be fine. I'll ask at that desk over there." As she pointed to the gate attendant.
Come on now....a little beforehand planning would have been nice in her case. And that's just one case that I know of personaly..I'm sure there are many others.

You can not blame DME for the lack of knowledge of guests. Oh, and that woman at the gate, looking for the DME bus? When I asked her she had gotten an info packet from DME, you know what her answer was?? 'Oh, no....that's at home. I put the luggage tags on and then tossed the rest out. There wasn't anything there I needed to bring.'

The DME used to have a choice on drop-off at Orlando International. Either in the first 20 spaces, down at the other end of the commercial lane, in the last 20 spaces, or in both areas. It depended on the driver. Mears bus VP claimed they were dropping off in two spots on each side, convenient to the passenger. Mears drivers wanted, and usually did, drop off at the front side because they were afraid if they went to the back side there would be no spaces available and they would have to circle around and comeback into the commercial lane causing passengers delay in getting off the bus.

Many times the first 20 spaces would be in use and the driver would wait until someone pulled out or he just lost patience and went to the other end of the commercial lane. Really there were no officially designated spots for bus unloading. So if you came in on Southwest and the driver dropped off in one of the first spaces. the passenger had a hike to get to Southwest.

Designated spaces for bus unloading were set up in the middle of the commercial lane and since than all the complaints have disappeared from the passengers and the drivers.

Di, I said that I thought a lot of the confusion at the resorts was a problem usually caused by the passengers. I did not mention that the busses are sometimes also late in arriving to the resort, but that also happens.

In the future the car services may be loading on the same level as the DME, but inside the terminal. The driver will only have to get out of his car and walki upstairs to meet his passengers and walk them back down to the car. The 5 - 10 walk to the bullpen used most of the time will be gone.

Di, I said that I thought a lot of the confusion at the resorts was a problem usually caused by the passengers. I did not mention that the busses are sometimes also late in arriving to the resort, but that also happens.

In the future the car services may be loading on the same level as the DME, but inside the terminal. The driver will only have to get out of his car and walki upstairs to meet his passengers and walk them back down to the car. The 5 - 10 walk to the bullpen used most of the time will be gone.

So true...I just can't understand how people can lay out thousands of dollars and not do any homework. Beats me, but who am I to say.

As for the towncar pickup areas, I have been met at baggage claim (at least the times when I didn't have to go in search of our driver!!) and then walked down to level 1, where the driver left us while he went and brought the car aound. I have gotten to level 1, out to the car area and had a car right there. But, I have also had to cross the street, with luggage in tow, trying to avoid cars, cabs and buses, to get to our towncar.
Sure would be nice to just walk outside and hop in the car. That was a nice way to do it.

You won't have to go outside. You would just walk past the car rental counters, through the door and into an area where the Car services will be able to park and go upstairs and get their passengers, walk back down into the, "tunnel" which is what it is called here, to the vehicle and than on your way to the resort. I think it will save passengers 10 - 20 minutes getting to the resort in car service vehicles.

Localdriver, IMHO I have presented the facts on the DME. I am retired from a real job with the federal government. So I do find time to go to the Orlando International Airport and work on things that may be helpful to passengers. As a matter of fact I am working on a new idea to move passengers through the commercial lanes much faster, during the very busy hours, than what is happening right now. The problem will take care of passengers when the airport is out of cabs.

In the past I submitted to the airport and spearheaded the current system that is being used in dropping off passengers on the commercial lanes A and B. Yes you, the driver, benefitted by now only having to drop off your passengers in the middle of the terminal. The old system gave you two places to drop off but most bus drivers would only make one stop and thereby inconveniencing many passengers. Check out the many threads on Disboarders having to walk a long way and unable to find porters. You don't see any now so you will have to go back.

Confusion, I am sure you have stepped out of your DME bus around 0610H, when you are usually late, in the morning at CBR or POP Century or it seems like anytime during the day at CBR. This also happens at many of the other resorts. The return to MCO is certainly not as smooth as the ride out to the resorts. I have actually seen women hollering at bus drivers because they were not able to get on. A lot of this is not the DME fault as I see passengers more responsible for that confusion, by arriving late missing their scheduled bus or complaining that they have to wait.

In order to come up with new ideas to support the Airport's theme. "Seamless transport to your resorts," I have done a lot of observing, not only DME, but the other forms of transportation. My observing is also authorized by the airport officials.

So you have "no interest in ANY transportation service, drive for, lease, own, broker, etc" ? Your only goal since your government job is to help travelers at OIA?

There are a few on the disboards who know and appreciate what and why I post on the boards. It certainly is not to solicit for business. I stay busy enough. Because you are new on the boards you might go back to some of the past threads to get any information you might be looking for.

There are a few on the disboards who know and appreciate what and why I post on the boards. It certainly is not to solicit for business. I stay busy enough. Because you are new on the boards you might go back to some of the past threads to get any information you might be looking for.

New, Old, whatever you call 3 years+ on this board. I provide info as to how DME really works.

I think I've made it quite clear, "that when folks show up late and their bus is still there, they are "lucky" not entitled.

People can make their own choices from there. You need to STOP your generalized SCARE TACTICS. Yes I'm calling you on your false info.

So answer the question.

So you have "no interest in ANY transportation service, drive for, lease, own, broker, etc" ? Your only goal since your government job is to help travelers at OIA?
Today 10:10 AM

A simple Yes or No will Do?

I think I need to interject a comment that this thread is starting to go off its topic and maybe I need to remove some of the replies.

Possible dirty little secrets I don't know whether are true:

1. Going to Disney. Let's say that a horde of guests is expected at the welcoming area between 3 and 4 PM and almost nobody is expected between 4 and 5 PM. Is it within the design goal of DME to spread out the load all the way to 5 PM?

2. Going home. Let's say that there is a big horde of guests needing DME at a given hour. Are some arbitrarily assigned buses 4 hours in advance instead of 3 due to bus scheduling?

I think I need to interject a comment that this thread is starting to go off its topic and maybe I need to remove some of the replies.

Possible dirty little secrets I don't know whether are true:

1. Going to Disney. Let's say that a horde of guests is expected at the welcoming area between 3 and 4 PM and almost nobody is expected between 4 and 5 PM. Is it within the design goal of DME to spread out the load all the way to 5 PM?

2. Going home. Let's say that there is a big horde of guests needing DME at a given hour. Are some arbitrarily assigned buses 4 hours in advance instead of 3 due to bus scheduling?

Every attempt is made to balance the equipment between the Airport and the resorts to meet needs within the next hour or so. MEARS is aware of the # of reservations at each resort, for every pickup time thru out the day.

MEARS also is aware of hour by hour #'s of incoming guests at the airport. So that is how the balancing act begins.

If dispatch gives drivers copy too far in advance, it holds too many busses in the Field, starving the Airport for busses. Same in reverse if DISNEY won't allow busses to leave the airport until fully loaded during slower periods.

So it's a balancing act, projecting 2 hrs in the future, while attempting not to send busses to/from the airport empty.

It's not an easy task, and frankly, I think our dispatchers and airport staff do pretty well. This last SAT we transfered a total of 22,000 guests to/from Disney, with over 100 drivers involved.

Do things always go as planned, NO, but for the most part, the system works quite well.

The above highlights the importance of guests departing at their scheduled time, not earlier, and not later. The less skewed the #'s the easier to keep the equipment moving in the right direction, and the fewer suprises arise.

Guests leaving early, creates overloads, which requires resources not readily available. Guests delaying their departure wastes current available resources, and creates a shortage of resources during the next pickup cycle.

I hope this made sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter