May 2016 Car Rentals

Alamo: 5/23 MCO pickup, 5/30 Dis CCC drop off $193 Full sized. Used the TA Brazil Vegas's code. Had an upgrade coupon in there too which is no longer valid, I booked this a few days back, but didn't see this thread.

Will keep an eye out for a lower price as I'd love to save some more to help pay for the parking fees over at Universal :)

Take note that the price stayed the same regardless of whether I returned the car back to MCO, the Dolphin or Disney Car Care Center, so I took the one with the gas pumps right there and will take Magical Express back to the airport (I love not dealing with luggage and traffic when stressed about catching a flight.)

My costs came down using 7016427 and AD3868JST - Now booked a one way for the week of 5/23 - 5/30 at $174.61 for the full sized sedan. (pickup @ MCO- dropoff @ Disney CCC)

Minivan folks, note I saw one available at $226 for the week. Been awhile since I needed to rent one, but looks like a good price.

I am trying to remove the CDW. I can't find what you are referring to where you modify the reservation. I see where there is a product code of TB1 when I go to modify the dates of the reservation, but removing that doesn't remove the CDW coverage. It is still there after clicking Continue and you are on the Modify Extras screen. After confirming all changes, the confirmation still includes CDW.

Removing that code got rid of the CDW for me :(

there were 2 compacts choices listed when i booked, one had CDW & one didn't.

In the past i've observed the same thing and also has varied day to day on other categories.

try signing out of your account and clearing cookies for website

I saw the two vehicles in each category also, though only one was able to be booked. Clicking on the other one indicated that there were no vehicles available for my dates, or something like that. The other one had CDW. The mini van category only had one vehicle shown, not two like many of the other categories.

When I went in to modify and removed the Product Code (with Alamo using 7016427 and AD3868JST) nothing changed for me either. I did end up with a decent price picking up a minivan at Disney Car Care Center and dropping off at MCO airport; $243 for one week plus one day. As usual, I'll keep looking but this is something I can live with if I don't find a better price.

Last edited:
I saw the two vehicles in each category also, though only one was able to be booked. Clicking on the other one indicated that there were no vehicles available for my dates, or something like that. The other one had CDW. The mini van category only had one vehicle shown, not two like many of the other categories.

Where does it say if it's CDW? I noticed that 2 choices came up for compact, but I'm looking at both and they look exactly the same to me.

Edit: nevermind, found it. The reservation I booked gives the option to pay to add CDW, so it is not included for $0 cost, so I chose the correct one without knowing it.

Last edited:
I'm just curious...why is everyone trying to get rid of the CDW. Isn't that an added perk? Is the thought that if you could omit the CDW, the rate would be even less?

Last edited:
I'm just curious...why is everyone trying to get rid of the CDW. Isn't that an added perk? Is the thought that is if you could omit the CDW, the rate would be even less?
I think its because most of us use credit cards for our rentals that will cover this, and these cards require us to decline the CDW coverage. I have it on my to-do list to call AMEX and discuss this exact question.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong. It's been over a decade since I rented a vehicle. :car:

I think someone posted that the price dropped a little when they eliminated the CDW; that was my motivation for trying.

I'm just curious...why is everyone trying to get rid of the CDW. Isn't that an added perk? Is the thought that is if you could omit the CDW, the rate would be even less?

imo it's an added perk for the rental car company, they are covered for loss of vehicle rental earnings in this case, no need to go to subrogation to collect.

it's my understanding that many of those out of country need to add different insurance to be covered renting a car here. It's a convenience factor/corporate code designed for that market (as I believe the vegas brazil code is) to have it all lumped in together.

I'm just curious...why is everyone trying to get rid of the CDW. Isn't that an added perk? Is the thought that if you could omit the CDW, the rate would be even less?

Because, it could expose you to massive liability $$$$. Notice I said could. I am not an attorney, nor am I an expert in insurance. But I am an expert in how much risk I am willing to assume.

If you use a rental car "discount" you are not entitled to use -- say you use a code that is for federal government employees on official business and you do not work for the federal government, you would be using a code to which you are not entitled to use.

Same goes possibly for using some travel agency discount code from Las Vegas that you have had no contact with, are not a client of and don't even know the first thing about, except you saw the code on DisBoard.

So, if your rental contract includes CDW, your own car insurance will disavow any responsibility for coverage -- and any coverage from credit card companies will also be null and void.

But, that's O.K., right, because your contract includes CDW! Well, maybe, maybe not.

Turns out you are in a massive accident, or you cause a massive accident, or maybe not so massive. When the $$$ of the claims rise, the investigators get a little more nosy and look for ways to avoid paying out $$$.

Hmm, why did you have CDW -- oh it was included in your "discount code." But, wait did you actually have eligibility to use the code, or did you just see it somewhere and decide to use it....that's when you hear that magic phase: "Sorry, your CDW is null and void because of fraud."

Then you get to pay for all the damages. Hope you have a big stock account or massive savings. Even a minor injury accident is going to cost you several thousands....

As an aside, regarding the vegas/braz code, I have tried it in several different rental scenarios and each time it increased the price significantly...

So, as I said in another post on this subject, Do you feel lucky?

Last edited:
Because, it could expose you to massive liability $$$$. Notice I said could. I am not an attorney, nor am I an expert in insurance. But I am an expert in how much risk I am willing to assume.
If you use a rental car "discount" you are not entitled to use -- say you use a code that is for federal government employees on official business and you do not work for the federal government, you would be using a code to which you are not entitled to use.
Same goes possibly for using some travel agency discount code from Las Vegas that you have had no contact with, are not a client of and don't even know the first thing about, except you saw the code on DisBoard.
So, if your rental contract includes CDW, your own car insurance will disavow any responsibility for coverage -- and any coverage from credit card companies will also be null and void.
But, that's O.K., right, because your contract includes CDW! Well, maybe, maybe not.
Turns out you are in a massive accident, or you cause a massive accident, or maybe not so massive. When the $$$ of the claims rise, the investigators get a little more nosy and look for ways to avoid paying out $$$.
Hmm, why did you have CDW -- oh it was included in your "discount code." But, wait did you actually have eligibility to use the code, or did you just see it somewhere and decide to use it....that's when you hear that magic phase: "Sorry, your CDW is null and void because of fraud."
Then you get to pay for all the damages. Hope you have a big stock account or massive savings. Even a minor injury accident is going to cost you several thousands....
As an aside, regarding the vegas/braz code, I have tried it in several different rental scenarios and each time it increased the price significantly...
So, as I said in another post on this subject, Do you feel lucky?

Thanks for the feedback Ranger. I don't ever get the Rental company insurance because my own policy covers rental cars. I did book a car using this code but I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel it. Just like the vroom vroom code, I'm always leary that if the code isn't intended for my booking, that they will make you pay whatever the going rate is when you get to MCO. I just wish the rental agencies would program enough smarts into their websites to at least throw in a warning of the requirements for using a specific discount code. I know if you try to use a code that's for the wrong car class or dates it will give you a warning. The few times I have tried calling customer service at car rental agencies, I never come away feeling confident the rep knew what they were talking about. I don't want to worry about "feeling lucky," I'd rather just go with a code I know is intended for my booking.

Thanks for the feedback Ranger. I don't ever get the Rental company insurance because my own policy covers rental cars. I did book a car using this code but I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel it. Just like the vroom vroom code, I'm always leary that if the code isn't intended for my booking, that they will make you pay whatever the going rate is when you get to MCO. I just wish the rental agencies would program enough smarts into their websites to at least throw in a warning of the requirements for using a specific discount code. I know if you try to use a code that's for the wrong car class or dates it will give you a warning. The few times I have tried calling customer service at car rental agencies, I never come away feeling confident the rep knew what they were talking about. I don't want to worry about "feeling lucky," I'd rather just go with a code I know is intended for my booking.

I'm sure nobody here is advocating usage of fraudulant codes, just throwing out what they feel are valid options. It's often said that if you feel you aren't eligible to use a code, then you probably aren't and shouldn't. However, calling the agency can 'red flag' a code that is working a bit too well.

Last edited:
I'm sure nobody here is advocating usage of fraudulant codes, just throwing out what they feel are valid options. It's often said that if you feel you aren't eligible to use a code, then you probably aren't and shouldn't. However, calling the agency can 'red flag' a code that is working a bit too well.
Well I've never actually called an agency in reference to a code. In general when calling on other issues though, I wasn't confident in the answers I got. In fact it just happened to me the other day with Dollar :headache:, but I won't bore you with the details :faint:.

The codes are not "fraudulent" and like others said if you go to the self-serve kiosk it should be no problem :cool:. The gate where you drive out of the garage is not where they check if you're using a legitimate code. IMO if the reservation accepts the code it should clearly stipulate the conditions of using the code either on the screen or in my email confirmation :surfweb:. In any case, my original question was why wouldn't I want free insurance (CDW)? Several posters gave me valid responses and that is why I'm leery to use the VegasBrazil code.

In the end it doesn't really matter...like every year I will make at least five more reservations before settling on one for my May trip. I've been at this car rental game for many years, so I'm pretty adept at it. The search continues... :sail:

Last edited:
Yep that's just it. I'll likely not use the Vegas Brazil code if something else comes along. And something else always comes along. But it's great to have in my back pocket and I appreciate people being willing to share what works for them.
My best option lately has been to go through the travel search engine associated with my bank Visa. But it doesn't drop until the bitter end so I don't want to count on it. And Alamo was awesome for quite a few years but been much higher than the competition lately. It's always changing.

Yep that's just it. I'll likely not use the Vegas Brazil code if something else comes along. And something else always comes along. But it's great to have in my back pocket and I appreciate people being willing to share what works for them.
My best option lately has been to go through the travel search engine associated with my bank Visa. But it doesn't drop until the bitter end so I don't want to count on it. And Alamo was awesome for quite a few years but been much higher than the competition lately. It's always changing.

Yeah I've found the past few years I haven't been able to find any real "keepers" until I'm at least within the ninety day mark. In addition to using available codes, my best bet has just been checking on a very regular basis at different times of the day. Last year on a whim I checked rates in the wee hours the morning and found a great deal. From that point on until the day left, I never found a better rate. It's takes some work, but it's always worth it because, I got to have me some wheels in WDW :drive:

Well I've never actually called an agency in reference to a code. In general when calling on other issues though, I wasn't confident in the answers I got. In fact it just happened to me the other day with Dollar :headache:, but I won't bore you with the details :faint:.

The codes are not "fraudulent" and like others said if you go to the self-serve kiosk it should be no problem :cool:. The gate where you drive out of the garage is not where they check if you're using a legitimate code. IMO if the reservation accepts the code it should clearly stipulate the conditions of using the code either on the screen or in my email confirmation :surfweb:. In any case, my original question was why wouldn't I want free insurance (CDW)? Several posters gave me valid responses and that is why I'm leery to use the VegasBrazil code.

In the end it doesn't really matter...like every year I will make at least five more reservations before settling on one for my May trip. I've been at this car rental game for many years, so I'm pretty adept at it. The search continues... :sail:
Gotcha on calling, i often call Disney back twice to make sure I get the same answer to a question (offten I don't arrgh).

I keep checking up into the end, often find that the best rate i find isn't until 3 months out, then see movement 30 days forward but often it doesn't beat my original rate.

Talking to a human with most rental companies seems to keep people on their toes as to showing eligibility. With Alamo, as long as I see Kiosk as an option, I assume I'm good to go.

Speaking of Kiosks... Why is it only 1/3 of the time the confirmation screen will specifically tell me I may proceed to a kiosk? Do I need to head to a counter if the message does not appear?

Their confirmation email is a bit misleading too. "Please proceed to the Alamo counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys." Appears on the email despite being told we may use a kiosk, and I thought the keys were in the car as we get to select our car from the isle. (Hoping this has not changed as I need to select a car with no allergy triggering smells)

Anyone have a clue about Costco travel? last year, their site offered the best deals I could find.... now when I go to their site I have difficulty finding a good res.- and when I go to the particular rental brand site,and input the costco travel code(I am a member) it comes up with great prices? I tried 2 different trips upcoming, and both worked the same,(different companies,different locales) what is happening?

Alamo down again today with Vegas Brazil and coupon AD3868JST ($25) that keishashadow mentioned on Page two. I'm down to $184 for 9 days in a midsize. I still want something larger for as low as I can go but this reservation is good to have something booked just in case.

Saw mini vans in $200 range just now with vegas brazil

twinklebug - sometimes a coupon will trigger visit to counter

were you signed into your Alamo insiders account, complete with current DL & CC info when you originally booked?

if not, there is a blue box near the top of the confirmation email. You can retrieve the reservation, add the DL & CC (which will be authorized for a $1). Then you receive a new email confirmation with a "skip the counter ticket" you need to show after selecting your car in the garage along w/the CC you used & DL.

Your CC will be charged a $1 authorization, that will roll off but you will be able to cancel it (just did one today)

I rebooked and discovered if you print out the initial confirmation on the Alamo site there will be a box near the top that says:

An email confirmation has been set to: xxxx. You may check in at the Counter or the Alamo Kiosk.

I plan on using the kiosk and just adding my CC there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter