MAY 2015 Car Rentals

Dollar just went down major for cars! Hop on now and click the city special button. I snagged a reservation for 15 days in May on a Full Size car with taxes and fees for $274.04!! :cool1:

congrats, but $172 for my week

I did see mini van on Alamo just now with Costco & coupon for $199

Just booked a midsize SUV from May 8-13 for $135! After all fees, $191. Was going to use DME but checked rates. This beats waiting for the bus!

Unfortunately mine isn't moving with Alamo and for me the Dollar rate was great until the final price. Taxes and fees doubled the price.

Just got an economy with Alamo May 8-12 for $106 (Costco + $30 off). Also sitting on an intermediate SUV for $150. Looks like some Alamo rates are dropping folks, Economy through intermediate SUV were all in the $100-$150 range with Costco and 30 off.

I have a question regarding additional drivers. I read on the Alamo website that they have to meet same criteria as the renter, and there is a daily fee. My question is, do they also have to provide credit card info? I'm renting the car, and we may add do as an additional driver. If I'm paying for the rental, why would do have to provide addiu credit card info?

I have a question regarding additional drivers. I read on the Alamo website that they have to meet same criteria as the renter, and there is a daily fee. My question is, do they also have to provide credit card info? I'm renting the car, and we may add do as an additional driver. If I'm paying for the rental, why would do have to provide addiu credit card info?

just one CC has only been required in my past experience. the 2nd driver does have to present themselves with a valid DL

fyi, there are some codes that include the extra driver, Costco comes to mind.

We have no Costco in my area so I'm not a member. I was able to find a lower rate though for May 8-13 @ Dollar with a AAA discount on a midsize SUV to $106.51. Total including taxes is $155.63. The discount should pay for the additional driver.

Just got an economy with Alamo May 8-12 for $106 (Costco + $30 off). Also sitting on an intermediate SUV for $150. Looks like some Alamo rates are dropping folks, Economy through intermediate SUV were all in the $100-$150 range with Costco and 30 off.

Thanks! We had the intermediate SUV for $150, but since there are only 2 of us, the compact will be just fine!

I currently have a reservation picking up and dropping off at Sanford Airport April 24-May 4 that I made in Jan, but we are interested in extending our trip to May 9. However, everything I'm seeing for those dates is $600 all in for a full size car. My current 10 night reservation is with Thrifty through Orbitz, and I thought it was for $202 all in, but now I'm not sure. I guess I need to call Orbitz tomorrow, but when I look at my reservation, this is what it says:
Amount due at pick-up: $202.04
Base Rate: $363.70
Taxes and Fees: $112.82
Total car rental estimate: $476.52
Amount Due at Booking: $0.00
Amount due at pick-up $202.04 Base rate and taxes and fees

So which is it, $476.52 or $202.04? If I plug in the same dates now (April 24-May 4), the base rate is similar, but the billing summary reads over $400 for amount due at pickup.

Maybe someone who has rented from Orbitz before can give me some insight. I don't remember using any special code when I booked in Jan.

I can't see extending our vacation if the difference in car rental price will go from $202 to $650 just to go from 10 nights to 15 nights, but now I'm wondering if I understood my initial rate correctly to begin with.

If I could get the 15 nights for approximately $400, I'd be happy with that. But I have to know by March 30 to adjust the rest of our arrangements--sort of nerve-wracking.

I currently have a reservation picking up and dropping off at Sanford Airport April 24-May 4 that I made in Jan, but we are interested in extending our trip to May 9. However, everything I'm seeing for those dates is $600 all in for a full size car. My current 10 night reservation is with Thrifty through Orbitz, and I thought it was for $202 all in, but now I'm not sure. I guess I need to call Orbitz tomorrow, but when I look at my reservation, this is what it says:
Amount due at pick-up: $202.04
Base Rate: $363.70
Taxes and Fees: $112.82
Total car rental estimate: $476.52
Amount Due at Booking: $0.00
Amount due at pick-up $202.04 Base rate and taxes and fees

So which is it, $476.52 or $202.04? If I plug in the same dates now (April 24-May 4), the base rate is similar, but the billing summary reads over $400 for amount due at pickup.

Maybe someone who has rented from Orbitz before can give me some insight. I don't remember using any special code when I booked in Jan.

I can't see extending our vacation if the difference in car rental price will go from $202 to $650 just to go from 10 nights to 15 nights, but now I'm wondering if I understood my initial rate correctly to begin with.

If I could get the 15 nights for approximately $400, I'd be happy with that. But I have to know by March 30 to adjust the rest of our arrangements--sort of nerve-wracking.
Your total is the $476. You would owe $202 when you pick up the vehicle and the rest would be charged when you return the car.

As far as what it would cost to extend? You'd need to plug in coupons to the car rental agencies and see what's the best you can come up with. I have $330 for 11 nights as a fyi.

Your total is the $476. You would owe $202 when you pick up the vehicle and the rest would be charged when you return the car.

As far as what it would cost to extend? You'd need to plug in coupons to the car rental agencies and see what's the best you can come up with. I have $330 for 11 nights as a fyi.

Thanks. It stinks that I wasn't getting the deal I thought I was, but makes it easier for me to consider extending, I suppose.

Where do you all look for the best coupon codes? Tracking rates for the next week is my new mission.

Thanks. It stinks that I wasn't getting the deal I thought I was, but makes it easier for me to consider extending, I suppose.

Where do you all look for the best coupon codes? Tracking rates for the next week is my new mission.
Check out carrentalsavers.com. I think. Also the best codes are posted on this forum. And look for companies you're affilia with. My bank (usaa) is currently giving me the best rate. Costco, BJs, and Sams have good discounts too.

If you have a Visa, the Alamo Visa contract ID 7015504 and coupon AD2338FDF are currently giving me a rate better than VROOM VROOM (didn't want to use that one). However, the Costco contract ID offers a slightly lower rate but I don't have a membership so sticking with the Visa codes.
These codes are still good. Used Alamo Insider and these codes and just booked Midsize SUV for 5 days in Mid-May for $180 including taxes and fees.

Just got a big drop at Alamo using the Costco code and $30 coupon.

I got a midsize rental May 10 - 17 pickup TPA, dropoff MCO, for $147 all-in. My previous best price using these codes, dates, and locations was $188.

These codes are still good. Used Alamo Insider and these codes and just booked Midsize SUV for 5 days in Mid-May for $180 including taxes and fees.

I couldn't get this or Costco coupon to work thru Alamo site.

I couldn't get this or Costco coupon to work thru Alamo site.
The Costco code is the Contract ID, not a coupon. Another reason it may not be working is if you're copying and pasting the codes make sure there are no spaces in front of the codes. That can cause Alamo to reject the code.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter