May 2013 Car Rental - Best deals?

Alamo is funny. I checked for 4/26-5/4 this morning and rates for all vehicles were over $400. Check this evening and they are the best I've seen.

Compact $127 - Fullsize $178 Insiders and/or Southwest code and visa $30.

Jump from fullsize to midsize SUV is crazy $480; minivan $770.

I locked a midsize SUV a month ago for $225, but always looking to do better.

I just reserved a minivan through dollar (city deals) for $536 from 5/18 - 6/1 but after all the taxes and other goofy fees it came to $686.

I then took a look at my disney tickets through undercover tourist and they had an offer though Alamo that was $616 grand total.

Has anyone ever got their car through Alamo via Undercover Tourist? Did it work out smoothly? Am I even getting a good rate? $44/day for a rental vehicle sure doesn't sound like a good rate but it seems to be the lowest I can find. Let me know. Thank you.

The best I could find for a few days (May 11-13) for a beach trip was $70.36 through Dollar (taxes included). I looked at a week, but it was going to be $195 for a week, and since we don't need it for any more than that. I was hoping to find it cheaper, but doesn't look that trend is happening right now.

The best rate I've locked in was through Dollar at $620.54 taxes incl for a mini van for 15 days. I really think it depends on when you're going. We arrive May 3rd which is a Fri (cheaper) and leave on the 18th (Sat) which probably triggers an extended weekend rate. However, having said all that when I plug in those exact same dates today, my SAME mini van comes out to $740.04. :scared1:
I say "stalk" the web site ....uh I mean "watch" the web site :rotfl2: and click on the city specials. Oh and btw, I got my rate without using any codes or coupons. If you ask the seasoned veterans on this board, they'll tell you, your cheapest rates will come when your trip is about two weeks out....don't know if they're right, but I know I'm gonna give it a shot .

The best rate I've locked in was through Dollar at $620.54 taxes incl for a mini van for 15 days. I really think it depends on when you're going. We arrive May 3rd which is a Fri (cheaper) and leave on the 18th (Sat) which probably triggers an extended weekend rate. However, having said all that when I plug in those exact same dates today, my SAME mini van comes out to $740.04. :scared1:
I say "stalk" the web site ....uh I mean "watch" the web site :rotfl2: and click on the city specials. Oh and btw, I got my rate without using any codes or coupons. If you ask the seasoned veterans on this board, they'll tell you, your cheapest rates will come when your trip is about two weeks out....don't know if they're right, but I know I'm gonna give it a shot .

Sounds good to me...I better get to "watching" too...:thumbsup2

We booked a compact car through Alamo for 15 days, pick up at Orlando Airport (5/17) and drop off at Tampa (6/1). $367.86 So far the best I've found, especially for different drop off location.

Visa Promo Code: 7015504
Coupon Code: AF4172SDW

I believe this is good through June.

We booked a compact car through Alamo for 15 days, pick up at Orlando Airport (5/17) and drop off at Tampa (6/1). $367.86 So far the best I've found, especially for different drop off location.

Visa Promo Code: 7015504
Coupon Code: AF4172SDW

I believe this is good through June.

I keep trying to use this ad it gives me an error saying that the driver must be at least 21 but not older than 24. It doesn't state that in the terms and conditions though. Did you have this issue?

So I decided to give Priceline a shot.

Settled for a $12 a day bid on a midsize.

May 9th 11am - May 26th 6pm - $377.94 total price including tax. ($939.00 when I looked up on there site so not a bad discount)

So anyone ever use Hertz? This will be our first time.

Everyone needs to be patient, year after year the rates are sky high until a few weeks before our trip. Just this last January rates were $500+ for a compact for the 9 days we needed, until about 2 1/2 weeks before the trip, and then it went down to $130 for 9 days, for a intermediate (alamo) with tax.

Sure make a backup reservation to make sure you have something, (I do have a backup reservation) but I wouldn't go as far as Priceline to save $40-$50 when most likely prices will be a whole lot less then that. I could be wrong, but for the last 11 years that I have been going to Disney about 2-3 times a year, we have always seen the same trend.

Jennifer

Everyone needs to be patient, year after year the rates are sky high until a few weeks before our trip. Just this last January rates were $500+ for a compact for the 9 days we needed, until about 2 1/2 weeks before the trip, and then it went down to $130 for 9 days, for a intermediate (alamo) with tax.

Sure make a backup reservation to make sure you have something, (I do have a backup reservation) but I wouldn't go as far as Priceline to save $40-$50 when most likely prices will be a whole lot less then that. I could be wrong, but for the last 11 years that I have been going to Disney about 2-3 times a year, we have always seen the same trend.

Jennifer

I agree - We have been the same week in May for the past 3 years - we have always seen the rates come waaay down as we get closer. I have mine booked at a decent rate but not what I am thrilled with - I check it regularly and I am willing to bet it will come down. I specifically remember last year, I was checking my reservation almost every day a few weeks before we left and I think it dropped almost every day. I started at $200+ and before we left it was a little over $100.
Here's hoping! pixiedust:

just wanted to add - our reservation was with Alamo last year.

Jennifer

Thank you!! This is our first trip and we're 26 days out but this gives me hope of trying to get a good rate. We have one that we can 2 that we can live with right now but we'd be mch happier if either of them went down :)

Let me clear something up, I was not suggesting people run out and do Priceline. I was just looking to get it out of the way and paid for. I just wanted to share my result.

If it drops then it drops. For a 18 day rental I could except that price so I booked it. :-)

Thank you!! This is our first trip and we're 26 days out but this gives me hope of trying to get a good rate. We have one that we can 2 that we can live with right now but we'd be mch happier if either of them went down :)

I agree with everyone else, just be patient. Last Sept we started out at like $260.00, but that last 1 1/2 weeks before the trip, Alamo dropped just about every day. We round up paying $125.00 for a midsize for eight days. The exact same thing happened for our Oct/Nov trip. It started out at over $400.00, and we round up paying $225.00 for a premium car for nine days, again through Alamo. I currently have an eleven day through Alamo for a midsize for $210.00 for our May trip. I can live with that, but am expecting it to go on down. Last May I was down there with a friend and I think she paid less than $100.00 for a full size through Alamo for nine days.

I keep trying to use this ad it gives me an error saying that the driver must be at least 21 but not older than 24. It doesn't state that in the terms and conditions though. Did you have this issue?
No, I didn't have that issue, I just selected "25 and up" from the drop-down menu. I just tried it again on the Alamo site and it worked for me. I do know that I can only use their site w/Internet Explorer, I have trouble with Firefox. Since it is a Visa promo code you can probably Google Visa Alamo rental car discounts and perhaps the Visa site has a direct link. I added the free day code (it was better than the $15 off code). Hope it works for you!

I agree with everyone else, just be patient. Last Sept we started out at like $260.00, but that last 1 1/2 weeks before the trip, Alamo dropped just about every day. We round up paying $125.00 for a midsize for eight days. The exact same thing happened for our Oct/Nov trip. It started out at over $400.00, and we round up paying $225.00 for a premium car for nine days, again through Alamo. I currently have an eleven day through Alamo for a midsize for $210.00 for our May trip. I can live with that, but am expecting it to go on down. Last May I was down there with a friend and I think she paid less than $100.00 for a full size through Alamo for nine days.

Thanks!!

Perhaps this is a silly question but if you're using codes does that generally happen too??

Jennifer

I have read rental prices for mini vans DON'T come down cause they're in such high demand. Is this true ? Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Minivans are much harder to get deals on, especially the last 2 years out of Orlando. You will probably not get a rock-bottom deal if you require a minivan. I just rented one over Easter and paid $335 with tax for 8 days from Budget, but that was after scouring the internet for deals for months. All the other rates were $600+. I actually booked that one 3-4 months before our trip.

If you can't find a good price on a minivan and don't require it (just prefer it), you could try a full-size from Alamo. They let you pick your car and we've seen minivans in the full-size aisle several times. More often in the evening. But, of course, it's not guaranteed. Good luck!

nifferearly said:
Minivans are much harder to get deals on, especially the last 2 years out of Orlando. You will probably not get a rock-bottom deal if you require a minivan. I just rented one over Easter and paid $335 with tax for 8 days from Budget, but that was after scouring the internet for deals for months. All the other rates were $600+. I actually booked that one 3-4 months before our trip.

If you can't find a good price on a minivan and don't require it (just prefer it), you could try a full-size from Alamo. They let you pick your car and we've seen minivans in the full-size aisle several times. More often in the evening. But, of course, it's not guaranteed. Good luck!

I locked mine(minivan) in thru budget months ago. 8 nights for 312. But I did Priceline the other day for fun and was able to get 300 total. I did not book it because I have never used them. Maybe was like bidding 23:day? Also have used ez car rental twice in the past and they are cheap. On airport. No problems. Like them on Facebook and get more discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter