May 2013 Car Rental - Best deals?

With Alamo, if both you and your spouse are Alamo Insider members, the 2nd driver is free. It's free and you can apply online at the Alamo website. You will each need your own membership number.

from my sporadic experience with alamo over the years (including late last year) the spouse only has to provide a DL at time of rental, has this changed recently? Know i used to be on a master rental agreement wherein it was automatic, but that system has changed with them.:scratchin

I just noticed the same thing. I can get a midsize from Budget using the Costco site for about $40.00 less than my current 11 day reservation with Alamo ($157.00 vs $193.00). Right now Alamo through Costco is over $300.00.:scared1: I've only rented through Alamo in the past. How is Budget? still in terminal? second driver free? pick your own car?:confused3

I have always rented from Alamo too - via Costco rates. Last year at this time, Budget's rates did the same thing but Alamo finally dropped below it. Sooo..wishing the same for this year.

No experience with Budget - from what I've read, you want to become a part of their member program - forget the name. You can't add it when making a Costco rez, but it appears you can call in and add your program #/ID to your rez. This will allow you to bypass the counter/desk. Doesn't appear, though, that you get to pick your own car. The Costco site states additional driver is included just like Alamo.

Any Budget experiences out there ?

Got a standard/full-size from Alamo for May 10-14 (4 day rental) for $94 all in. This is with the Alamo Insiders discount and the $15 off weekend rental coupon code from the website.

Still checking every day, but won't be surprised if it doesn't go lower. Rates were down a few days ago, but have jumped back up the last couple of days. Dollar is currently the cheapest and has been for weeks until I scored the above Alamo deal.

As far as Budget, their frequent renter program is called Fastbreak. I used Budget in February out of Tampa because rates were super high and it was the best I could get. Since I was a Fastbreak member, I went straight out to the garage, waited in a short line, got my keys, and off I went. I reserved a standard car and was given a Limited Ford Edge! No, you don't pick your own car, but the agents told me that Fastbreak members get better vehicles...not sure how true that is! I would use Budget again if their rates were substantially cheaper than Alamo/National, but A/N are still my preferred agencies.

So I was just looking over my car reservation for next week. I am picking up at Shades of Green on Monday and returning to MCO on Saturday. It accepted my coupon online but after looking at it closer, I'm not staying Saturday. Here is what it said: Get $30 off weekly rentals of a Compact through Luxury car, Minivan or SUV at participating US locations. Go to the National website and use the coupon code ND9334SND when booking. No physical coupon required. Saturday overnight required; 5-day minimum, 28-day maximum rental. Valid on rentals through 6/8/13. Even though they accepted it online, do you think they won't give it to me? If you alter the amount of days, it won't accept the coupon. Maybe I will just rebook. Thoughts?

So I was just looking over my car reservation for next week. I am picking up at Shades of Green on Monday and returning to MCO on Saturday. It accepted my coupon online but after looking at it closer, I'm not staying Saturday. Here is what it said: Get $30 off weekly rentals of a Compact through Luxury car, Minivan or SUV at participating US locations. Go to the National website and use the coupon code ND9334SND when booking. No physical coupon required. Saturday overnight required; 5-day minimum, 28-day maximum rental. Valid on rentals through 6/8/13. Even though they accepted it online, do you think they won't give it to me? If you alter the amount of days, it won't accept the coupon. Maybe I will just rebook. Thoughts?

If the coupon requires a Saturday overnight - and you are not keeping it for a Saturday overnight - myself? I wouldn't chance it - It may very well end up not being a problem but .... goodness knows what price you might end up with if they questioned it.

UGH! I hate rental car shopping. I am trying to rent a mini-van to drive down with, to give 4 adults and one child a little more breathing room than a Honda CRV can provide. I live in Toledo, and the rates out of Toledo are horrid! I found a deal if we stop at the airport in Dayton on the way down, but that would require unpacking and reloading the car, plus finding a place to park the Honda for the week, and do the reverse on the way backl. Great rate, but a huge hassle! The best rate I can get out of Toledo is $549.00 with Costco; I can pick up the car on the 3rd, 4th (after 3:00) or the 5th in the a.m., and return it on the 13th or 14th.

Any gurus care to try to work their magic to see what better rates you can find?

UGH! I hate rental car shopping. I am trying to rent a mini-van to drive down with, to give 4 adults and one child a little more breathing room than a Honda CRV can provide. I live in Toledo, and the rates out of Toledo are horrid! I found a deal if we stop at the airport in Dayton on the way down, but that would require unpacking and reloading the car, plus finding a place to park the Honda for the week, and do the reverse on the way backl. Great rate, but a huge hassle! The best rate I can get out of Toledo is $549.00 with Costco; I can pick up the car on the 3rd, 4th (after 3:00) or the 5th in the a.m., and return it on the 13th or 14th.

Any gurus care to try to work their magic to see what better rates you can find?

I am having the same dilemma for driving out of St. Louis. I'm also open for suggestions. Thanks!

Just booked through my Costco membership - 9 day rental for $153 for a full size - Budget. My previous reservation was through Alamo for $169 - not a huge savings - but it will buy a few Mickey bars!:thumbsup2

Would you consider a bigger SUV. You can get a Standard SUV from Avis for $179/week, worked out around $350 inc. taxes and fees depending on dates selected. Used the SUV offer and $25 off weekly coupon here:
http://www.carrentalsavers.com/avis.html
After taxes and fees, it was significantly cheaper at the Ottawa Hills location rather than the airport.

I just booked an intermediate size car through Costco for 5/4 - 5/14 for $140. :yay::yay::yay:

Thanks to everyone here for the information.

I currently have Dollar ressie for May 15th-18th. Its a total of a 4 day rental because of the hours. Dollar is 94.00 Budget right now is 115. I am thinking of sucking up the extra $$ for DH to be able to both drive. We prefer budget. I know many don't but we do! I am hoping for a price drop this weekend.

Check your Costco rates! I just booked a Fullsize car for 7 days out of TPA for $115 all inclusive with Budget. We don't rent often, but I thought that was pretty good! MCO rates looked pretty good to me as well.:cool1:

Adding Compacts were $85, Intermediate $95 and Standard $105

We dont' have a costco membership. There isn't a costco in a 200 mile radius of house!!

Thanks! Just checked Costco and Enterprise has a minivan for May16-21 for $245. I had Alamo for $253 so the rates are inching down. :thumbsup2

Would you consider a bigger SUV. You can get a Standard SUV from Avis for $179/week, worked out around $350 inc. taxes and fees depending on dates selected. Used the SUV offer and $25 off weekly coupon here:
http://www.carrentalsavers.com/avis.html
After taxes and fees, it was significantly cheaper at the Ottawa Hills location rather than the airport.

Thanks for checking........Still working the codes and numbers. Not coming up the same for me, but I am working on it!

So I've found a mini van for $265 from Alamo and Enterprise for $265 and from Budget and Dollar for $255.

Which would you choose? I know little to nothing about each company because we never rent a car. Pro? Cons? I want the easiest option, 2nd driver free (we are insiders and Costco) and possibly pick your car option.

So I've found a mini van for $265 from Alamo and Enterprise for $265 and from Budget and Dollar for $255.

Which would you choose? I know little to nothing about each company because we never rent a car. Pro? Cons? I want the easiest option, 2nd driver free (we are insiders and Costco) and possibly pick your car option.

I would normally say Alamo because I love using their kiosk and picking our car. But we rented a minivan with Budget last month - they have Chrysler Town & Country and it had a DVD player. The kids loved it!

Just wanted to let those still shopping know that are lowest price came 4 days out. We initially started at around $215 thru Alamo for a full size for 8 days. Started dropping about 10 bucks a day about 8 days out. Dropped twice on this past Tuesday and booked it using Insiders and Visa $30 off coupon. Final price $147.50 incl. taxe and fees.
Staying at SVR for a week and visiting the darkside starting tommorow.

Thanks for all your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter