• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 18, 2013 Magic EBTA Part Two - From Tejas to España

How much should we plan to bring in Euros for a week in Barcelona? My parents tried to tell me to get $2000 -- I was like "Whaaaa?" I thought most places took Visa/MC and I'll just need a little cash for cabs, little shops and cafes, etc. Or no?
I would be careful about using credit cards in Barcelona. Only use CCs at reputable businesses, and never let your CC out of your sight (as someone could use a skimmer to collect your CC info).

When the bill comes at restaurants, never place your CC on the tray and let them walk away with it. If you tell them you want to pay by CC, they will bring a handheld CC device to your table.

Have a backup plan as far as credit cards go. I had friends who just came back from Spain and they had a lot of issues with using their CC because it was not the Chip/Pin variety. I've been doing up some reading and Visa/MC says "technically" you are supposed to insist that they swipe the card.
During one stay in Barcelona, I tried to make a purchase at the FNAC store (it's like Best Buy) at Plaça Catalunya. My Visa card does not have Chip+Pin. The clerk would not swipe my Visa card unless I had my passport, which was in the hotel room safe. She said they require passports because they get so many stolen credit cards.

. . . The problem is you could find yourself at a restaurant or shop where language is a barrier and they simply say No.
I tried to buy T-10 metro tickets from the ticket machine, but couldn't because my Visa did not have Chip+Pin.

Woody

I have tried (and tried, and tried, and tried) to get an answer from DCL in regards to the hours for the various bars for the pub crawl all to no avail. Not even Alma can get an answer from the ship as far as bar hours so that I can figure out a plan as to where we are going and when...........

Not quite sure what to do at this point, because it does not look like I am going to be able to get that info before we set sail.

If I were to post a note on my stateroom door as soon as I was able to find out the hours for the bars on the 23rd, would that work for everyone? I am at a loss at this point as to what to do or how to do it - suggestions anyone?

Also, I know a couple of you had suggested starting at 1 instead of 2 and I am perfectly fine with that. My other thought was to just meet in the Promenade Lounge at 1 PM
and then we'll wing it from there! :rotfl:

Yeah I agree Beverly, lets just wing it!! Where You go, we follow

The lengths some people will go to get the booze :rotfl: treat yourself to a nice fire and ice pedicure, book the little one into the kids club and enjoy.

Please say hello to a friend of mine, Naomi in the kids club and tell her "I have packed the easter eggs" :rotfl2: I am not joking, I

have packed three of them.

Rofl If only I knew the liquor store was right around the corner from hotel

Have a backup plan as far as credit cards go. I had friends who just came back from Spain and they had a lot of issues with using their CC because it was not the Chip/Pin variety. I've been doing up some reading and Visa/MC says "technically" you are supposed to insist that they swipe the card. The problem is you could find yourself at a restaurant or shop where language is a barrier and they simply say No.

Not saying it'll happen.. but have a backup plan that doesn't rely on credit cards.

That is precisely why I swapped our BofA chard for a chip card!

And witand try not to use Euros. You can always buy some pounds on the ship.l[/COLOR]h that said... we ordered $1k worth of Euros from Wells Fargo. They Fedexed it overnight .. no extra fee (because it was over $1k). Only drawback, you had better be home to sign for it.

We're going to take our chance on the ATM / CC in Gibraltar. Only one day there and outside of the DCL excursion we do we figure we aren't going to need to be so reliant on cash.

]Just a reminder, you get a much better exchange rate on British pounds in Gibraltar. You can always buy the pounds with American dollars on the ship. Be sure to ask for change in Gibraltar in British pounds not Gibraltar pounds as you can not exchange them anywhere but Gibraltar.

I have tried (and tried, and tried, and tried) to get an answer from DCL in regards to the hours for the various bars for the pub crawl all to no avail. Not even Alma can get an answer from the ship as far as bar hours so that I can figure out a plan as to where we are going and when...........

Not quite sure what to do at this point, because it does not look like I am going to be able to get that info before we set sail.

If I were to post a note on my stateroom door as soon as I was able to find out the hours for the bars on the 23rd, would that work for everyone? I am at a loss at this point as to what to do or how to do it - suggestions anyone?

Also, I know a couple of you had suggested starting at 1 instead of 2 and I am perfectly fine with that. My other thought was to just meet in the Promenade Lounge at 1 PM and then we'll wing it from there! :rotfl:

To me sounds like a plan, just pick a meeting point on the day (Promenade Lounge sounds like a great location) than at that point we know from that days Navigator the hours for the bars and we head for one that is open make the rounds ;) I *think* there might be a few bars that don't open until later tho, from the old navigator that was shared to the FB group for example Rockin' Bar D don't look to open until 7pm and Sessions don't open until 5pm. Some others are only open during special event times (Preludes).

If you haven't prepaid before getting on the ship, they seem to add them onto your onboard account these days on a daily basis - It drives me mad - I don't want to prepay, I want to judge the service myself and tip accordingly, which I prefer to do in cash.

The last 3 cruises I have had to go to Guest Services and ask them to cancel the accruing tips.
When did they start doing it that way? It has been about 8 months since we were cruising, but still that sounds unusual...I recall they posted them at the end of the cruise. (Now I will have to check!) We also like to wait until the end of the cruise. My ?? is also - does the cast member get the tip the day it is posted? That seems a little counterproductive.

Just make sure you know your CC Pin - that's really a difference from US to there - most shops want you to key in your PIN and as long as you know it we've never had an issue :)
I have never had them ask for a pin with my Amex. Amex told me I won't need one. That being said - I carry my passport card with me at all times, so ID is never an issue.

Also, I know a couple of you had suggested starting at 1 instead of 2 and I am perfectly fine with that. My other thought was to just meet in the Promenade Lounge at 1 PM and then we'll wing it from there! :rotfl:
May I suggest you look at old Navigators? The hours are usually posted. I seem to recall they don't open until 4pm (It's 4 pm SOMEWHERE, right?) :rotfl::confused3:rotfl:

I would be careful about using credit cards in Barcelona. Only use CCs at reputable businesses, and never let your CC out of your sight (as someone could use a skimmer to collect your CC info).

When the bill comes at restaurants, never place your CC on the tray and let them walk away with it. If you tell them you want to pay by CC, they will bring a handheld CC device to your table.

During one stay in Barcelona, I tried to make a purchase at the FNAC store (it's like Best Buy) at Plaça Catalunya. My Visa card does not have Chip+Pin. The clerk would not swipe my Visa card unless I had my passport, which was in the hotel room safe. She said they require passports because they get so many stolen credit cards.

I tried to buy T-10 metro tickets from the ticket machine, but couldn't because my Visa did not have Chip+Pin.

Woody
excellent advice - one should always be credit card savvy...now if they would just use the mobile machines HERE, we would have fewer issues I think.

Cayla

May I suggest you look at old Navigators? The hours are usually posted. I seem to recall they don't open until 4pm (It's 4 pm SOMEWHERE, right?) :rotfl::confused3:rotfl:

On a previous Transatlantic Pub Crawl aboard the Magic, we started at Promenade at 2:00. Next was Diversions followed by Cove/Signals. Then I had to pick up from Flounders Nursery and others had to bail to go to Champagne Girls. The crawl continued though...

Another idea might be to let the beverage staff know once onboard the May 23 date of the pub crawl, that we are expecting x number to attend starting at ____, and you never know how they might help facilitate that for us if they know how many are planning to crash the bars on that certain date :thumbsup2

To me sounds like a plan, just pick a meeting point on the day (Promenade Lounge sounds like a great location) than at that point we know from that days Navigator the hours for the bars and we head for one that is open . . .
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere.

Woody

So I'm telling my family about this R&R cruise - I Really Need ! - then I tell them about pub crawl and Champagne Girls and Chocolate/Alcohol tasting !! So I'm getting these unhuh - sounds more like partying than the resting and all - lol !!!!

So I'm telling my family about this R&R cruise - I Really Need ! - then I tell them about pub crawl and Champagne Girls and Chocolate/Alcohol tasting !! So I'm getting these unhuh - sounds more like partying than the resting and all - lol !!!!

And we haven't even planned a geezers get together yet...I have the pins.

Just finished packing for my weekend in LA, looking forward to seeing the mouse but know there is so much to do when we get home. So excited for next weekend and meeting everyone.

Ah Noel - I know I qualify as a "geezer" - but what pins ?? And of course w/geezers that means "adult beverages" - yes?? :cool1:

Those of us over 60 wear gold safety pins and under 60 are GITS (Geezers in Training) wear silver on our lanyards or whatever. On previous cruises we would meet in the evening in the Cove Café for post prandial drink.

Those of us over 60 wear gold safety pins and under 60 are GITS (Geezers in Training) wear silver on our lanyards or whatever. On previous cruises we would meet in the evening in the Cove Café for post prandial drink.

Okay! I remember when I used to fib about my age but I now truly enjoy where I am in life !! Where do I find gold safety pins - and I'm in !!

Okay! I remember when I used to fib about my age but I now truly enjoy where I am in life !! Where do I find gold safety pins - and I'm in !!

We will meet up in the Cove Café after dinner on the first night (10ish) and I will hand them out.

For anyone who might be doing the Barcelona Day Tour Flamenco Dinner and Show, here are two pics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter