March 30, 2013 - Wonder 5 night Western Caribbean Cruise

Ok I am obsessing a little on what they will do for Easter day.

I wonder if this will be dress up night? Has anyone on our cruise actually been on an Easter cruise before?

I'm also wondering about Easter baskets. I asked ages ago about them and past cruisers mentioned you could buy them at guest services on the ship. I was checking the gifts section of the DCL site and saw they had some special Easter things you could purchase. I started a thread that asked if this is the same as the onboard option, but I haven't gotten any responses from past cruisers yet: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3071425

So much to plan for.. I cannot wait!

Hi Mtkgal,

I saw your thread about Easter -- I was wondering the same thing. Some posters said that there have been egg hunts but not much else. When I saw the Easter offerings I was a little underwhelmed too. I am thinking that I will get mesh bottomed sand pails from Garnet Hill catalogue to use as baskets for my girls (they fold flat apparently) and put some treats in there. There's also a company called Saltwater Canvas out of Massachusetts that makes mesh beach bags of all sizes (these def fold flat) that would work. I have one of their big "whale" bags that I will pack to use as our beach bag for excursions/CC.

I can't wait to start packing! :)

Did we decide on a meet time for the first day? I know I'm lame and not doing the FE, but I'd love to meet some folks! The secret aft deck on Deck 7 is right by my stateroom and we used that for a DIS Meet on our cruise last year.

Less than a month away people!!

Yay!!!

We were on the Dream during Easter last year, and I believe there was an Easter egg hunt, but I'm not positive. There was a nondenominational service, a Catholic service, and one of those I think was a sunrise service. We remember beautiful chocolate decorations in the atrium lobby.

We're not on the FE, but would love to meet all of you if there is a meet!

Me, dw, and ds6

Less than a month away people!!

Yay!!!

We were on the Dream during Easter last year, and I believe there was an Easter egg hunt, but I'm not positive. There was a nondenominational service, a Catholic service, and one of those I think was a sunrise service. We remember beautiful chocolate decorations in the atrium lobby.

We're not on the FE, but would love to meet all of you if there is a meet!

Me, dw, and ds6

The secret deskis a great suggestion. I think the question left is what time? of those participating in the FE, send me a PM with what time you want to meet and I'll go with the majority. 3 or 4 PM have been suggested....

The secret deskis a great suggestion. I think the question left is what time? of those participating in the FE, send me a PM with what time you want to meet and I'll go with the majority. 3 or 4 PM have been suggested....

So far only one suggestion for the secret deck at 3:30....

Hi guys! I've been looking at various posts on other threads about shipping a box to the ship. It appears that the DCL Warehouse is the address to send to but it is in Orlando. Wondering if that works even though we are at Port of Miami?

Is anyone else shipping a box? I thought I'd ask for imput before I call DCL for the right address.

Thanks! So excited....keeping this trip a secret is so hard! My DD is going to flip out! She told me just the other day that she wished that we could go on another Disney cruise...Whoo! Hoo!:banana:

Hi guys! I've been looking at various posts on other threads about shipping a box to the ship. It appears that the DCL Warehouse is the address to send to but it is in Orlando. Wondering if that works even though we are at Port of Miami?

Is anyone else shipping a box? I thought I'd ask for imput before I call DCL for the right address.

Thanks! So excited....keeping this trip a secret is so hard! My DD is going to flip out! She told me just the other day that she wished that we could go on another Disney cruise...Whoo! Hoo!:banana:

I was thinking of doing the same... Keep us posted! Thx!

So far only one suggestion for the secret deck at 3:30....

Some of my party will try to make it to the meet and greet, whatever time gets decided. :thumbsup2 :hug: The only concern that I have is on a few of the other cruises that we have been on, they have often had a DVC Welcome aboard gathering about the same time that DisBoard Meet and greets tend to happen. :confused3 Although, saying that, I did have a quick look at a recent 5-night Miami Naviagator, and I did not see a DVC meet scheduled for embarkation afternoon.

MN Dis Fans said:
Some of my party will try to make it to the meet and greet, whatever time gets decided. :thumbsup2 :hug: The only concern that I have is on a few of the other cruises that we have been on, they have often had a DVC Welcome aboard gathering about the same time that DisBoard Meet and greets tend to happen. :confused3 Although, saying that, I did have a quick look at a recent 5-night Miami Naviagator, and I did not see a DVC meet scheduled for embarkation afternoon.

My last two cruises the DVC presentation has been at 2:30, so...3:30 is probably the best time.

This would be open to any on here. Not limited to the FE group...

3:30 it is....DW almost has us packed. This date can't get here fast enough....

3 weeks out - have begun nearly every conversation with "Three weeks from today i'll be heading to Miami for the night, then I'm leaving the country." for some reason they haven't been terribly supportive. . . Who knew?

thank you tdizzle... i was wondering if you guys are goin to have a group meeting.. this is my first time.. just doin my homework to make the best of it... any tips?

thank you tdizzle... i was wondering if you guys are goin to have a group meeting.. this is my first time.. just doin my homework to make the best of it... any tips?

Welcome, maclindows. This is our first cruise ever, so I can't give you any advice.
I'm sure we'll all have lots of fun!

3:30 on the secret deck on deck 7 would be perfect. See you all there!:wave2:

I don't consider myself an expert but am willing to answer any questions you might have. A few tips we always use:

1. pack your young kids clothing in gallon zip lock bags. No hunting for matching shirts, socks, etc when you are living out of a suitcase and they make great storage for wet swimsuits, etc when packing up
  2. Bring plenty of sunscreen! It's very expensive abroad and probably not the type your family likes.
  3. pack for efficiency, not 3 outfits a day. You really won't use them. Every cruise we bring back clothes we haven't worn. Since I'm the one lugging those heavy bags around, it's a big deal for me.
  4. have your kids swimsuits in your carry on when boarding. You will be waiting to access your room until 1ish so why waste that golden opportunity to go swimming and avoid the crowds?
  5. Bring a cheap umbrella stroller for little one's. I can't tell you how many times this saved my back when my wee one was exhausted.
  6. Ask for Mickey Ice Cream bar's for desert with sprinkles. Not on the menu...thank me later....
  7. coffee in the Quiet Cove is the only way you will get a true Starbucks style coffee onboard. The other stuff is Nescafe instant and just doesn't have the punch I need to recover in the morning.
  8. Don't forget a hat for everyone! The sun is brutal on the island, unless you like burned scalps. Side Note: don't forget to put sunscreen in your kids hair if they get the braids. I feel sorry for the kids I see with roasted scalps every year. That's gotta hurt.
  9. Get the braiding done onboard the boat or Castaway Cay, not any other place. First hand experience with a friend onboard getting lice this way. Yuck!
  10. Zig when everyone else zags to avoid crowds. Like the pool but hate how packed it is? Go during shows, early in the AM, during dinner, or any evening until they close which is pretty late(my favorite).
  11. Don't buy soft drinks onboard, they are FREE on deck 9 aft. Bring a cheap insulated container with a lid. Milk is there as well.
  12. Order room service! There are some great items on there and it's free as well. Just remember to tip the wait staff.
  13. Don't want to dress up for dinner or want to keep playing while others are (see above for pool tips)? Eat at Cabanas! It has the same menu as the Main Dining rooms and you can wear shorts without feeling out of place. A must on longer cruises when we are just too tired to shower, change, etc.
  14. Movies! Disney runs first rate movies onboard in both 2D and 3D. Seating is limited but the theatre is great. It's one of the few placs snacks are not free. You can put them on your account so no cash needed. Oz will be on our cruise, and more like Wreck It Ralph if you haven't seen that one yet either. Avengers had just opened the same week we cruised last year. It was so awesome. I think my daughter and I watched it 3 times.
  15. If you have small kids <5 maybe, let them stay in the Kids Club at Dinner, then go get them for desert. The meals can take 1.5 hours total sometimes which is way to long to entertain little one's and keep your sanity. My wife and I don't have many date nights due to no family near us. This is a great way to enjoy a pretty decent restaurant with "free" babysitting and your kid will be happier.
  16. Palo! I recommend to try it at least once. We waited until our 3rd cruise and kicked ourself after seeing how great it was. Get on the waiting list if all the reservations are taken. One usually opens up.
  17. Bonus if you buy the Rainforest pass...the showers...As the only guy in a family of 4 the small bathroom can be a bottleneck for us getting ready. Use the large showers, etc in the spa. They have disposable razors, combs, Q-tips, etc if you left anything at home. Plus, this cuts down on the steam in our room from so many people showering near the same time.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Ask away for anything specific.

Bottom line, just enjoy the trip and don't stress out if you can't do everything this trip. That's what next time is for!

-Matt

I don't consider myself an expert but am willing to answer any questions you might have. A few tips we always use:

1. pack your young kids clothing in gallon zip lock bags. No hunting for matching shirts, socks, etc when you are living out of a suitcase and they make great storage for wet swimsuits, etc when packing up
  2. Bring plenty of sunscreen! It's very expensive abroad and probably not the type your family likes.
  3. pack for efficiency, not 3 outfits a day. You really won't use them. Every cruise we bring back clothes we haven't worn. Since I'm the one lugging those heavy bags around, it's a big deal for me.
  4. have your kids swimsuits in your carry on when boarding. You will be waiting to access your room until 1ish so why waste that golden opportunity to go swimming and avoid the crowds?
  5. Bring a cheap umbrella stroller for little one's. I can't tell you how many times this saved my back when my wee one was exhausted.
  6. Ask for Mickey Ice Cream bar's for desert with sprinkles. Not on the menu...thank me later....
  7. coffee in the Quiet Cove is the only way you will get a true Starbucks style coffee onboard. The other stuff is Nescafe instant and just doesn't have the punch I need to recover in the morning.
  8. Don't forget a hat for everyone! The sun is brutal on the island, unless you like burned scalps. Side Note: don't forget to put sunscreen in your kids hair if they get the braids. I feel sorry for the kids I see with roasted scalps every year. That's gotta hurt.
  9. Get the braiding done onboard the boat or Castaway Cay, not any other place. First hand experience with a friend onboard getting lice this way. Yuck!
  10. Zig when everyone else zags to avoid crowds. Like the pool but hate how packed it is? Go during shows, early in the AM, during dinner, or any evening until they close which is pretty late(my favorite).
  11. Don't buy soft drinks onboard, they are FREE on deck 9 aft. Bring a cheap insulated container with a lid. Milk is there as well.
  12. Order room service! There are some great items on there and it's free as well. Just remember to tip the wait staff.
  13. Don't want to dress up for dinner or want to keep playing while others are (see above for pool tips)? Eat at Cabanas! It has the same menu as the Main Dining rooms and you can wear shorts without feeling out of place. A must on longer cruises when we are just too tired to shower, change, etc.
  14. Movies! Disney runs first rate movies onboard in both 2D and 3D. Seating is limited but the theatre is great. It's one of the few placs snacks are not free. You can put them on your account so no cash needed. Oz will be on our cruise, and more like Wreck It Ralph if you haven't seen that one yet either. Avengers had just opened the same week we cruised last year. It was so awesome. I think my daughter and I watched it 3 times.
  15. If you have small kids <5 maybe, let them stay in the Kids Club at Dinner, then go get them for desert. The meals can take 1.5 hours total sometimes which is way to long to entertain little one's and keep your sanity. My wife and I don't have many date nights due to no family near us. This is a great way to enjoy a pretty decent restaurant with "free" babysitting and your kid will be happier.
  16. Palo! I recommend to try it at least once. We waited until our 3rd cruise and kicked ourself after seeing how great it was. Get on the waiting list if all the reservations are taken. One usually opens up.
  17. Bonus if you buy the Rainforest pass...the showers...As the only guy in a family of 4 the small bathroom can be a bottleneck for us getting ready. Use the large showers, etc in the spa. They have disposable razors, combs, Q-tips, etc if you left anything at home. Plus, this cuts down on the steam in our room from so many people showering near the same time.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Ask away for anything specific.

Bottom line, just enjoy the trip and don't stress out if you can't do everything this trip. That's what next time is for!

-Matt

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Nice List! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I really like the suggestion about the Mickey Bars, and it's always something that I do at least once during the cruise. ;)
My family always laughs at me when I do this, and the servers just smile. :rolleyes1
PALO reservations: Just to add to Matt's notes above, they normally take additional reservations at Wave Bands (Deck 3 forward) around 1 - 130PM embarkation day (it should be mentioned in your Navigator). We have never had a problem getting a table even if we haven't already made reservations online before we boarded.
Additional ideas:
I always ask the room steward to fill an ice bucket for us in the morning.
If you enjoy a cocktail or two, you can bring your own alcohol on board for free. You just need to make sure it's in your carry on. It can save quite a bit of money.
I travel with a small collapsible soft sided cooler. I take this up to Deck 9 (also per Matt's notes above) and I stock up on the Coke products (mixers.)
If you even possibly think that you might do another Disney Cruise in the future, book while you are on board to get a 10% discount. You can always change the date and still keep the 10% discount.
Cabanas? I think this is the restaurant on the new boats Fantasy / Dream, and believe this will be the Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder. We haven't managed to sail on the new boats yet. :sad1:

Not long to go now! :cool1::woohoo:
Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter