March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

I just changed the oil and fixed a small coolant leak. 60 degrees in Philly today. We made our daughter clean t he inside of the windows. We are mean parents. She still thinks we are headed to Key Largo for spring break. She actually mentioned to me that we should stop at Disney for a day on the way down. I will try to video the moment when she realizes that we have been lying to her and she is headed to the Fort.

awmiii,

Hope you can pull off the surprise. Although Largo would be nice this time of year. Good luck!

Bama Ed

tltay2005,

We just got back from a weekend trip today too (our first outing of the new year). DW insists we get a mattress topper before our Fort trip in 3 weeks. I can make that happen.

We will be there for 12 nights (11 at the Fort) so I will need to make some serious prep for the camper to make sure we lay in most things we will need for an extended stay. Obviously there will be a run to Winn Dixie and/or Wal-mart or two during our stay but the first couple days are the busy ones for us with my DD and her band marching and I'd rather not make a run at the start of the trip.

Bama Ed

Tltay2005, sorry to hear about your pup. Glad you had a great trip with him. Peace to your family and run free at the bridge.

Just got back from a quick weekend trip to a local state park. Great weather for camping. Took our two dogs, and realized that it's time to let our "old" man go. He is in liver failure and went downhill pretty quickly. At least we got to spend one last camping trip with him.
Sorry you had to make this decision, it's a tough one. I'm glad everyone got one last trip together.

We will be heading down to Fl. on Friday the 4th. We will be camping in Titusville from the 6 - 10, then head to Destin to see my parents from the 10 - 14, then leaving there late that night and checking in early at the Fort from 15 - 19, and then heading home. Hoping to stick around long enough on the 19 to meet Bama Ed.

Space X w
tltay2005, to tell you the truth, I can be an uber planner when I have to be. Although I don't wanna be.

I do the planning in my house. DW said, "I want us to eat out more this trip" and DD said, "I want to stay in the MK till 2am and play putt-putt". That was the extent of their contribution. So I planned tickets, days in parks, ADRs, the baseball games, and all that. And as I've said before, I hate having to do it all in advance with this new system.

In the past we would have bought tickets once we arrived on property, selected the parks to attend the night before, and made maybe 1 or at most 2 ADRs. That's kinda the way I am when I go to the beach. Very unstructured but with a punch list that I usually finish by the time to go home. However, these days for a WDW vacation, sadly, you have to plan PLAN well ahead or get run over by those who do. I can't walk up to BoG and expect to get a table at the dinner hour during Easter week. It ain't gonna happen.

I realized that this is really my first FP+ vacation. Last trip down was for the Half Marathon and we didn't go in a park (I was there to run the run). Only made one ADR at Disney Springs. Trip before that, FP+ was still in the planning/testing stages and it wasn't in use when we were there. Which is probably why next time (for the Marathon weekend), I won't do any park days and will do maybe 1 ADR.

The one thing not on my bucket list for this trip is I wish there was going to be a launch over at KSC by someone like SpaceX because I am a SpaceX geek but it's not in the cards this time around. We've done the KSC tours/visit and although I know launches sometimes get scrubbed, I would have liked to have driven out somewhere near by, sat on the hood of the car, and hear the thunder of lift-off.

Bama Ed

PS - and I plan to post in this thread while I am there.

Space X was to launch on Wednesday during our trip but cancelled that and the next night due to high winds. Would have loved to see that.

We will be heading down to Fl. on Friday the 4th. We will be camping in Titusville from the 6 - 10, then head to Destin to see my parents from the 10 - 14, then leaving there late that night and checking in early at the Fort from 15 - 19, and then heading home. Hoping to stick around long enough on the 19 to meet Bama Ed.

We enjoyed Titusville.

We enjoyed Titusville.

So I have read. Glad you had a great time! Your pics look amazing. We are staying at a campground right across the river from NASA, Manatee Hammock. It is a nice little county campground, 25 + tax for any campsite. They have a 197 foot pier to fish from. We have had good luck seeing dolphins from there.

So I have read. Glad you had a great time! Your pics look amazing. We are staying at a campground right across the river from NASA, Manatee Hammock. It is a nice little county campground, 25 + tax for any campsite. They have a 197 foot pier to fish from. We have had good luck seeing dolphins from there.

Sounds like a very nice to stay. We liked the area and the trip to KSC was a blast. Wish we could have caught a launch, but maybe someday.

Whoa! <spit-my-Diet-Coke-at-the-screen> The Mighty Snowmedic/Vince will be at the Fort same time as me? :worship:

Vince,

I will PM you my information since I am coming in on the 19h (early morning) when you are leaving. I will make it a PRIORITY to find you before you have to leave that morning.

Bama Ed

PS - Plus if you have time I might have something to show you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes1

Glad to hear you are drinking Diet Coke Bama Ed.

Sometimes, Kris, I admit I fall off the wagon and indulge in a little apple juice. :upsidedow

I hope you and Bert don't think less of me.

Bama Ed

Can can any one give me some insight on the differences between the campsites (for RV's)?

In order of descending cost, barbarasc:

Premium - best for bigger rigs. 18' wide paved and at least 55' deep. No tent/coquina pad. Cleared out around pavement for slideouts, awnings, overhang. square picnic table and covered grill, all utilities. loops 400-1400.

Preferred - 12' wide paved and variable paved length. Okay for not-the-biggest trailers although some can fit bigs. Has a tent/coquina pad of various sizes. traditional picnic table and open grill, all utilities. loops 100-300. nearest the MK boat dock.

Full - equipped just like the Preferred only back in a more quiet corner of the Fort. loops 1600-1900.

Tent - 12' drives shorter with varying sizes of tent/coquina pads. all utilities except sewer. Best for popups, tents, Class B's maybe. traditional picnic table and open grill. loops 1500 & 2000.

Bama Ed

Vince and Ed getting together...

Have met them both and think very highly of them. Especially Ed now that he is drinking Diet Coke.

If you two can pull it off go for it. Be like two legends coming together.

In order of descending cost, barbarasc:

Premium - best for bigger rigs. 18' wide paved and at least 55' deep. No tent/coquina pad. Cleared out around pavement for slideouts, awnings, overhang. square picnic table and covered grill, all utilities. loops 400-1400.

Preferred - 12' wide paved and variable paved length. Okay for not-the-biggest trailers although some can fit bigs. Has a tent/coquina pad of various sizes. traditional picnic table and open grill, all utilities. loops 100-300. nearest the MK boat dock.

Full - equipped just like the Preferred only back in a more quiet corner of the Fort. loops 1600-1900.

Tent - 12' drives shorter with varying sizes of tent/coquina pads. all utilities except sewer. Best for popups, tents, Class B's maybe. traditional picnic table and open grill. loops 1500 & 2000.

Bama Ed

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I booked us a Preferred site. We have a 33ft RF with 1 slide. We should be OK there. Well at least I hope so :-) This is out first time RVing at the Fort and we are hoping it will not be our last!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter