• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2016

I think that adjusting my sleep schedule may ultimately turn out to be more difficult than the training, after all is said and done.

The 3:30 a.m.-ish wake up call is about when I normally go to sleep!

Curse DIS running blogs!-fist shaking in the air!!

Roflmao!!!!!

I got swept up in the excitement and am registered for Goofy- never having run a marathon
I have been in a panic ever since I hit the "pay" button!!
Lol!!
Counting on you guys to get me through since you got me into it!!

.... And I know you will! I see how much support there is here.
To recent posters who are also questioning their decisions to register for a marathon, the one piece of advice that has consistently been repeated to me is to find a training plan, and stick with it- they tell me if you do the training you will be fine...
I also know that Disney races are fun and forgiving, a total experience, not just about the time.
Thank you all for the support and enthusiasm here- looking forward to the ongoing dialogue and hearing about everyone's progress!!

Keels-There will be a mass wake-up call, right?!!!

Hi all! It looks like I have some catching up to do but wanted to introduce myself. We are registered for the full in January (our first)! I am doing my first half in November and I am still pretty new to running. I suppose you could say I lost my mind in signing up for this but the minimum pace is well over my standard so at least I can finish lol. I panicked a little when they opened registration after it was so stressful to get signed up for the Wine & Dine half that I just did it. At least I have something major to train for now and can keep on going. Looking forward to talking with you all :)

Welcome! Having something to train for is always a great motivator, and Disney runs are tons of fun!

Here's a little "pro" tip (because after one runDisney 5K I'm now apparently a pro): You don't have to be on the first bus. Yes, the lines for things like character photos, bag drop, and the port-a-potties get longer the later you come. But unless you're planning to do everything there is to do at the start area and have some free time left over, you can get away with sleeping in an extra 10-15 minutes. Since the 5K starts a little later, you can use that as a "trial run" to see how much time you really need in the start area (although you may also be able to get a sense of that from your other Disney races), and then decide if you can sleep in a little the next few days.

I got swept up in the excitement and am registered for Goofy- never having run a marathon
Lol!!

You'll do great, don't worry! Just keep training and make sure to stay excited!

As for me ... I hit a bit of a mini-milestone today. I'm finally back over 4.5 miles! I hit 4.5 in mid-March, and then again about a week later, but I've been struggling a little since then and haven't been able to get back over that mark. Today I did 4.56 miles in 56 minutes (12:18 pace, which is about normal for me, although I do sometimes go a little faster or slower). I'm hoping to get up to 5 miles within the next few weeks.

Also, after careful consideration of all the awesome advice I got here, I ordered the FlipBelt ... because I like how it looks. I'm not sure how comfortable and/or helpful it will be, but I wanted to try it. It's scheduled to arrive on Saturday, so I'll try it out on the treadmill Saturday night, and if I like it, I'll try it outside. If not, my next 2 choices are one of the Fitletic belts (there are 2 that I like) or SpiBelt. So thanks for the help, everyone!

I think that adjusting my sleep schedule may ultimately turn out to be more difficult than the training, after all is said and done.

You're a night owl like me,I don't go to bed quite that late most nights but I knew the only way I would get to change my sleep schedule was to get up really late the day before my trip and just skip sleep that night.For the last couple of years it meant driving to Orlando from my house in Miami at 10pm to arrive in Orlando at 2am,stop in by a Denny's or Waffle House for something to eat and head over to be a spectator for the 10K,then head over to the expo when it opens,check in to the hotel,grab some lunch/dinner to then start thinking about bedtime.It's a bit crazy but getting good sleep can make or break the race weekend.I rather sacrifice sleep one night to make sure I get good sleep for the races,especially this year that I did Goofy.Truthfully I love driving to Disney in the middle of the night,I'm super hyped over getting there already and between watching the race and going to the expo to get all my things I forget about being tired.It works for me and I know by like 5-6pm I'll be in bed with plenty of time to sleep.

Last edited:

I know it's going to sound silly, but I'm having some serious rD buyers remorse over here.

NO! Not over Dopey - I'm actually really excited and proud of myself for even biting the bullet and signing up. If I had gone with just Goofy, like I was planning, I think I'd be sitting here feeling sad that I was missing out on the 5k and 10k.

so what then are you having remorse over ?

I havnt been here long but one thing I learned very quickly is this bunch is awesome.....crazy....but awesome, if you are ever feeling down on yourself or in a rut with training this bunch will pick you right up don't worry

I wish I'd signed up for DDD at Disneyland. :(

If you want my honest opinion ... if it's going to be your first runDisney event, I think it's better to only be doing one race. It gives you more of a chance to take in the experience and see what runDisney is all about.
There will be plenty of time for DDD next year ...

Curse DIS running blogs!-fist shaking in the air!!

Roflmao!!!!!

Lol!!

.... And I know you will! I see how much support there is here.
To recent posters who are also questioning their decisions to register for a marathon, the one piece of advice that has consistently been repeated to me is to find a training plan, and stick with it- they tell me if you do the training you will be fine...
I also know that Disney races are fun and forgiving, a total experience, not just about the time.
Thank you all for the support and enthusiasm here- looking forward to the ongoing dialogue and hearing about everyone's progress!!

Keels-There will be a mass wake-up call, right?!!!

This past January when i did the Goofy it was my first marathon. Before that there were 2 Tower 10 milers and 1 Donald half. That was it. during the training the longest run was 11 miles. I had did a lot of 7, 8, 9, 10 mile training runs leading up to the Goofy. Trust in your training and enjoy it.

I used to be like that. Now i don't go much past midnight.

Welcome and good luck on your first marathon! Fairly new myself but thought I would say hi! You picked a perfect first marathon race. :)

Thank you! I'm hoping the thrill of Disney will keep me going.

Welcome and congrats on take the leap to marathon runner...I too will be running WDW as my first and am beyond excited. We are a crazy bunch in here but you will get nothing but support from all these fine folks I can promise that

So excited to see more first timers in here. Thank you for the support. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting lots of tips.

You haven't lost your mind - you've made a great decision!!!

I haven't run a full yet myself and I let people on here talk my into Dopey for 2016!

This is a GREAT group. I'll be at Wine & Dine too - hope to meet you there!

I have seen you over in that group as well :) We'll have to meet up at one of these two races. I'm so impressed you signed up for Dopey. The idea totally terrifies me but I'll be cheering you on!

After missing out on W&D, I have registered for Marathon Wknd as my first RD race (thanks for the registration links, Keels).

Now, having signed up for the 1/2 and 10k, I am regretting not going Goofy instead of just 1/2! From the RD page it looks like I should be able to upgrade the 1/2 to Goofy, but I'm a bit unclear on the process? Can anyone help clarify it? It looks like I'm supposed to just register for the Goofy and apply for a refund on the 1/2. Is that right?

I'm a bit concerned about waiting for RD to get back to me, as Goofy is showing 93% full and I'm sure they have their hands full with Tink this weekend! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question: is there an app that times your run walk intervals for races? Which is a good one to get?

Question: is there an app that times your run walk intervals for races? Which is a good one to get?

I've used RunKeeper, iSmoothRun and Nike Running for interval call-outs/alerts when I was testing out intervals. All worked fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter