Marathon Weekend 2016

Hey Sarah, do you update the software regularly? I know with my Garmin it takes longer to find the satellite if it's not been updated. So when you sync you Garmin do you always update it?

I sometimes do, but not always. I'm going to try updating the software later today and hopefully that will help.
Thanks!

Okay, random question for my Garmin users out there...
Have you ever had trouble picking up a GPS signal on your Garmin at Disney?

I just had my second run in two weeks where my Garmin didn't pick up a signal for a long time. Sometimes it takes 5-6 minutes to pick up the signal, but since I usually walk for a few minutes before I start running (its a combination of warm up and highways), it's not a problem ... but on these two runs it took closer to 15 minutes. I used MapMyRun to track both runs ... but I'd rather not do that at Disney. Especially because I don't want to kill my battery if I'm using my phone for pictures and music too.
I gotta check if there's a software update available to fix this or something...
I try to have my Garmin find the signal at some point before the race starts...during the wait in the staging area or whatnot. I think I've had it look up the signal at my resort as well soon after I check in.

I try to have my Garmin find the signal at some point before the race starts...during the wait in the staging area or whatnot. I think I've had it look up the signal at my resort as well soon after I check in.

I was planning to do it in the staging area, but I think starting at the resort when I first get there is also a good idea. The more options I give it to find those Florida satellites the less nervous I'll be. Thanks for the suggestions!

I was planning to do it in the staging area, but I think starting at the resort when I first get there is also a good idea. The more options I give it to find those Florida satellites the less nervous I'll be. Thanks for the suggestions!
Yep. You talking about the software update has me thinking about trying to update mine - I have a 220 and part of the reason I was originally excited to get it was because reviews said it found satellites quickly, but I feel like mine sometimes takes 3-5 minutes (which feels like an eternity when I have finally convinced myself to actually get out and run, and then I just have to stand and wait). Maybe mine needs updating too...

During the half, you can usually hit Jack Sparrow on the way out and the way back. The lines on the way back are much shorter.

That's probably correct as long as all of the corrals have been released by the time you get back there.

During the half, you can usually hit Jack Sparrow on the way out and the way back. The lines on the way back are much shorter.
Agreed. When you pass that M&G the second time you're approaching mile marker 10 (if I remember correctly) - most people have already done that M&G or just want to finish the race by then. Really I have found that most of the lines are significantly shorter during this part of the race.

Dude, I don't know you, but it makes me hurt a little bit to hear that anyone is treated that way by the person they thought would be there for them for the rest of their life. It's great that you are able to channel something so negative into a positive. I raise a Disboard glass of the beverage of your choice as a salute.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And I won't bore you with my whole story. But, of course it hurt to hear but it all makes sense now. I spent most of my marriage depressed. I blamed it on my parents. I was in and out of different counselors. I was put on every combination of medicine possible. Nothing worked. My wife told me what she told me 2 years ago. We went to marriage counseling. It didn't work, my wife had given up a long time ago. BUT, that counselor told me that I don't have depression. Medicine would not help. It was the negativity I was living I was living with that was tearing me down.

I got into running to challenge myself. Disney gave me the reason to follow through. Long story short, I am down 30 lbs. I am 2 months from my second marathon. I am off all medicine. My blood pressure went from very high to very healthy. Running has taught me I can achieve anything I want, that I am not worthless like I have been told. This is why I take this seriously. This is why I love this site so much. So many of "you guys" helped me when I first started this and new NOTHING about running.

Two years ago, just before my wife told me I was a fat, lazy slob I told myself I wanted to run the Boston Marathon and you know what, I will one day. I prefer to qualify for it but if needed I will raise the money to do it.

The best part of all of this is, I am glad she said what she said. When I am having a lack of motivation I remind myself of what she said and I put my shoes on and I get out the door. And my life has changed, as cliché as it sounds, and she will always be miserable, negative, and unhappy. She is putting on weight while I am losing it.

And my daughter saying I am her role model undid anything my "wife" ever said to me. But I am no longer a fat, lazy, slob!!!!!

Mantra's are a great motivator and I'm a firm believer in using them, and music is also huge for me I know a lot of people don't like to listen to music but for me I couldn't make it through most of my runs without some good tunes, my current fave is "Send me on my way" by Rusted Root, I've always like it but its featured in the movie ice age wich my son LOVES so every time I hear it, it makes me think of him and I just break out in a giant smile

I have mantras. I love my music. You know what song I listen to when I hit a tough spot in a race, Let It Go!. I let go of the pain, I let go of all that ever held me back and I just push through.

This is my first marathon.
Completed 8 HM thus far
TIA!

Alright, apologies for the long post but here it is. Some comments to go along with it. I try and create training plans based on two philosophies.

1) The 25-33% rule. No one run should exceed 25-33% of the total mileage for the week. This creates balance in the plan and keeps you from putting too much work into a single workout that causes extra recovery time. The issue with a three-day a week plan is this is impossible unless the mileage on all three days is the same. I violated this one but did my best to keep it close.

2) The 80/20 rule. A total of 80% of the weeks workout should be at a moderate aerobic pace or slower. The remaining 20% can be done faster than moderate aerobic pace. The moderate aerobic pace is defined as the "LR (Long Run)".

First, the paces described are solid. When I say run a 9:53 min/mile for a LR, it doesn't mean if you're feeling good you can bust out a 9:20 pace. Each of the paces are specific to a certain physical benefit received. My rule is I allow a deviation of no more than 10 seconds for each mile/interval in either direction of the pace to consider it a successful workout. The average pace does not mean anything to me. There are exceptions to this rule when the plan specifically calls for a special twist workout (like a fast finish, get up and GO, etc.) I didn't include any special twist workouts.

The warm up and cool downs are necessary when doing anything faster than LR. The warmup ensures all of the appropriate physical systems are ready to go and will work properly. In general, a minimum 6 minute warm up is required to get the body ready. The cool down is teaching your body after a tough workout to run on tired legs. When it comes to the last few miles of a race, these cool down miles are where the money is made.

You'll probably also notice this plan doesn't include any of the SPEED or STRENGTH workouts. I initially had these in there but found in a 3-day plan I was unable to meet the 2nd philosophy either and still get you a good training plan. I did make an option B plan, if you're interested, that does include SPEED and STRENGTH workouts but requires 4-days a week training (includes Saturday). Ideally, option B is the better plan because it will get you faster, build endurance, and meets both of my training philosophies. I have attached OPTION A in the text, but both options are available in the attached pdf files (I can email you excel if you'd like).

If you do decide option B is for you, then the SPEED sessions are meant to teach you running efficiency. When running at this pace, memorize what your arms are doing (tight to the body), memorize how your feet are moving/where they strike (quick short steps/right underneath torso), and memorize how you are breathing (1 in + 1 in + 2 out). These same movements/breathing exercises should carry over into the other workouts. A key part about running fast is keeping your eye level at horizon or higher. This forces you to keep your head up. Research has shown as the eyes move below horizon lung capacity can drop to as little as 70% and thus you have less oxygen reaching your muscles. Every time you start to look at your feet remember that its costing you seconds/minutes in the back end of the race/training and just making it harder.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

PACING CODE min/mile
WU/CD 0:11:42
EA 0:11:00
EB 0:10:15
LR 0:09:53
TEMPO 0:08:47
STRENGTH 0:08:37
SPEED 0:08:03
Start
1/10/16 : 1/16/16
Tuesday OFF *If you must do some running during these two weeks, then keep it less than 3 miles and at about a 11:42 min/mile.
Thursday OFF
Weekend OFF
1/17/16 : 1/23/16
Tuesday OFF
Thursday OFF
Weekend OFF
1/24/16 : 1/30/16
Tuesday EA 3 mi
Thursday EA 3 mi
Weekend EA 3 mi
1/31/16 : 2/6/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 3 mi @ TEMPO, 1 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 7 mi
2/7/16 : 2/13/16
Tuesday EB 6 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 4 mi @ TEMPO, 1 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 8 mi
2/14/16 : 2/20/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 4 mi @ TEMPO, 1 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 9 mi
2/21/16 : 2/27/16
Tuesday EB 6 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 5 mi @ TEMPO, 1 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 10 mi
2/28/16 : 3/5/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 5 mi @ TEMPO, 2 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 8 mi
3/6/16 : 3/12/16
Tuesday EB 6 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 5 mi @ TEMPO, 2 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 12 mi
3/13/16 : 3/19/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 6 mi @ TEMPO, 3 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 10 mi
3/20/16 : 3/26/16
Tuesday EB 6 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 6 mi @ TEMPO, 2 mi @ CD
Weekend LR 12 mi
3/27/16 : 4/2/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 7 mi @ TEMPO, 2 mi @ CD
Weekend EB 8 mi
4/3/16 : 4/9/16
Tuesday EA 5 mi
Thursday EB 3 mi
Friday In the morning, do 3 mile workout @ EA with a few 10 second bursts up to TEMPO pace
Saturday PR DAY
4/10/16 : 4/16/16
Tuesday EA 3 mi
Thursday 1 mi @ WU, 4 mi @ TEMPO, 2 mi @ CD
Weekend EB 8 mi
4/17/16 : 4/23/16
Tuesday EA 3 mi
Weekend 2nd RACE
4/24/16 : 4/30/16
Tuesday EA 3 mi
Weekend EB 8 mi
5/1/16 : 5/7/16
Tuesday EA 3 mi
Weekend 3rd RACE

Attachments

• Training for Berniemgr 2015_11_10 option A.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Training for Berniemgr 2015_11_10 option B.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 4

I just had my second run in two weeks where my Garmin didn't pick up a signal for a long time. Sometimes it takes 5-6 minutes to pick up the signal, but since I usually walk for a few minutes before I start running (its a combination of warm up and highways), it's not a problem ... but on these two runs it took closer to 15 minutes. I used MapMyRun to track both runs ... but I'd rather not do that at Disney. Especially because I don't want to kill my battery if I'm using my phone for pictures and music too.
I gotta check if there's a software update available to fix this or something...

I haven't noticed it with my garmin but I definitely notices my nike+ watch took longer to pick up satellites if I hadn't updated it recently.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And I won't bore you with my whole story. But, of course it hurt to hear but it all makes sense now. I spent most of my marriage depressed. I blamed it on my parents. I was in and out of different counselors. I was put on every combination of medicine possible. Nothing worked. My wife told me what she told me 2 years ago. We went to marriage counseling. It didn't work, my wife had given up a long time ago. BUT, that counselor told me that I don't have depression. Medicine would not help. It was the negativity I was living I was living with that was tearing me down.

I got into running to challenge myself. Disney gave me the reason to follow through. Long story short, I am down 30 lbs. I am 2 months from my second marathon. I am off all medicine. My blood pressure went from very high to very healthy. Running has taught me I can achieve anything I want, that I am not worthless like I have been told. This is why I take this seriously. This is why I love this site so much. So many of "you guys" helped me when I first started this and new NOTHING about running.

Two years ago, just before my wife told me I was a fat, lazy slob I told myself I wanted to run the Boston Marathon and you know what, I will one day. I prefer to qualify for it but if needed I will raise the money to do it.

The best part of all of this is, I am glad she said what she said. When I am having a lack of motivation I remind myself of what she said and I put my shoes on and I get out the door. And my life has changed, as cliché as it sounds, and she will always be miserable, negative, and unhappy. She is putting on weight while I am losing it.

And my daughter saying I am her role model undid anything my "wife" ever said to me. But I am no longer a fat, lazy, slob!!!!!
It's great to hear the change that you were able to bring about in your life. My wife doesn't always understand why I run, but she is encouraging. My wife doesn't understand why I get up early on weekends to go run when I could sleep in. My problem is I find I'm constantly fighting a battle within myself. My life isn't static I'm either progressing towards healthier or unhealthier. Not doing anything isn't a choice for me to stay the same, not doing anything is me choosing to gain weight and get unhealthier.

@Waiting2goback I hope you get to do your Boston Marathon one day and I'm so glad you have the support of your daughter! As a parent I know hearing that would mean the world to me.

@DopeyBadger I can't pretend I totally understand all of the things you write, but I sure enjoy reading through it. And it is all so interesting. I have been trying to remind myself about what I unscientifically call it "my comfy running" being what most training should be at vs my "speed workouts" so that I don't get down on myself for running most of my week in the "comfy zone."

And now my question for the crowd: I know I've probably asked already before...but around when do you know your corral assignments? You will already know your bib# etc before leaving for the trip right, and then you kind of guess based on bibs/corrals from previous years? My father-in-law asked me and I had a brain block and could not remember.
I'm not that hung up on where we start...it's more my planner brain wanting to know when we will likely start time-wise :)

And now my question for the crowd: I know I've probably asked already before...but around when do you know your corral assignments? You will already know your bib# etc before leaving for the trip right, and then you kind of guess based on bibs/corrals from previous years? My father-in-law asked me and I had a brain block and could not remember.
I'm not that hung up on where we start...it's more my planner brain wanting to know when we will likely start time-wise :)

Waivers will be posted about a month before, and that's when you get your bib number. Half marathon, marathon, Dopey, and Goofy corrals will be posted on the runDisney website. 10K corrals may also be, I don't remember. 5K corrals is a guessing game - you won't find out officially until you get your bib at the expo.

Waivers will be posted about a month before, and that's when you get your bib number. Half marathon, marathon, Dopey, and Goofy corrals will be posted on the runDisney website. 10K corrals may also be, I don't remember. 5K corrals is a guessing game - you won't find out officially until you get your bib at the expo.

OK, I guess I need to tell my planner brain to go with the flow on this one :)
And my family that they will just have to wait and see along with me. I on purpose did not schedule any FP until later that day to allow us time to un-wind and you know...enjoy our race. But I'm a stinker who wants to plan out my stops and all that.

Yep. You talking about the software update has me thinking about trying to update mine - I have a 220 and part of the reason I was originally excited to get it was because reviews said it found satellites quickly, but I feel like mine sometimes takes 3-5 minutes (which feels like an eternity when I have finally convinced myself to actually get out and run, and then I just have to stand and wait). Maybe mine needs updating too...

Definitey I would say try updating it. I've noticed mine getting slow a few times (I also have the 220) and right after updating it connects again within secs on my next run.

I can't pretend I totally understand all of the things you write, but I sure enjoy reading through it. And it is all so interesting. I have been trying to remind myself about what I unscientifically call it "my comfy running" being what most training should be at vs my "speed workouts" so that I don't get down on myself for running most of my week in the "comfy zone."

I'm glad you appreciate it. It's fascinating to me all of the little things that you can manipulate either in a training plan or while running that can make a difference. Helping others understand these things is a passion of mine. I always say knowing "why" you do something makes you become invested in it. Totally agree with you on the "comfy zone" training. This would correspond to the 80/20 idea. I've read research recently where they conducted studies with groups of runners doing different % breakdowns of hard vs slow and found that around 80/20 seems to be the sweet spot. Keep in mind the breakdown though of 80/20 is based on time doing hard vs slow and not the mileage accumulated doing one or the other.

You can get a rough estimate now based on your POT and past years corral assignments as to where you will be likely corralled. You can use that information to figure out based on

A) previous years start times of corrals, or
B) by looking at previous running results and the difference between Gun/Chip for a bib # assigned to your estimated POT corral

to determine the start time for you. Then, based on your planned pace you can figure out where you'll be along the course and your estimated real world time you'd cross the line at. You're talking to a guy whose got his Disney trip planned pretty down pat, so I can understand. My family gets a sheet that gives them estimated times as to when I'll be at every location during any particular run (Disney or elsewhere). Don't even get my wife started about the minute by minute planning our wedding was down to. LOL![/user]

Last edited:

Which Garmin do you have?

I have the Forerunner 10. Not the best model out there, but until recently I haven't really had so much trouble picking up the signal.

Yes, that model definitely takes a lot longer to acquire satellites from the newer versions. My older Garmins always seemed to take at least 3-5 minutes, and even more if I was in a new location.

I would suggest the following:
1. Update software
2. Always make sure the view to the south of you is clear when you are turning it on (no trees/buildings/etc)
3. I oftentimes would turn my older Garmins on 5-10 minutes prior to needing it and place it outside by itself
4. Turn watch completely off and on again
5. Upgrade to a new Garmin... faster satellite acquisition is a valid reason to get a new watch (only if you're looking for an excuse)

Yes, that model definitely takes a lot longer to acquire satellites from the newer versions. My older Garmins always seemed to take at least 3-5 minutes, and even more if I was in a new location.

I would suggest the following:
1. Update software
2. Always make sure the view to the south of you is clear when you are turning it on (no trees/buildings/etc)
3. I oftentimes would turn my older Garmins on 5-10 minutes prior to needing it and place it outside by itself
4. Turn watch completely off and on again
5. Upgrade to a new Garmin... faster satellite acquisition is a valid reason to get a new watch (only if you're looking for an excuse)

Thanks for the tips! I just updated the software, and I'll try the other tips on my next run!
(And as for #5 ... I just got this one recently, and I need a budget before I can start looking for excuses :))

I don't run with mine, but lots of people do. I like to have as little on me as possible, so my phone and my band go in my check bag along with my flip flops and dry clothes. The beer truck in the post-race area accepts the bands, so you'll be able to get a cold beer to sip on while waiting in line for the character pictures. Pro tip: buy one of the reusable mugs from the beer stand at the expo and put it in your bag too. You can get half-price refills after the race.

Or do what my dummy husband did at W&D and buy one at the pre-race area and try to run with it in your pocket. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter