Marathon Weekend 2016

Unfortunately, I only have...
2014 Goofy and Dopey ranked (got it in excel from @CPTHOMER right after the race weekend)
2015 Dopey ranked (I got this list from Runners World - http://www.runnersworld.com/run-the-numbers/who-won-the-2015-dopey-challenge - which is importable into Excel to do Gender/Division as well)

I could give you a rough estimate using the 2014 ranked Goofy numbers unless someone else has the 2015 results, or if you'd like me to I can run through the marathon and half-marathon results in the sortable results here (http://trackshackresults.com/disney...15/mar_results.php?Link=27&Type=2&Div=B&Ind=4) and copy and paste them into excel and then match bib numbers for Goofy/Dopey participants. Might take me a few hours but its doable and I wouldn't mind. Getting the Dopey ranked results is tougher because the 5K results aren't in an importable format like everything else (never was able to get the PDF results to import correctly). After the 2016 weekend, I was going to give it a little time to see if Runners World or CPTHOMER (haven't seen him in awhile) were to post the Dopey results again. Otherwise, I'll reach out to Runners World to find out how they compiled the 2015 Dopey so quickly (likely got it from TrackShack directly).

Lastly, for any other Perfect Dopeys out there interested in numbers according to the unofficial count by runknittravel there are 1,398 people who ran the 1st and 2nd year (http://runknittravel.com/2015/02/03/dopey-legacy-numbers/).

Thanks for this, I had always kind of wondered where I finished and had only seen the Disney results. That's fewer legacies than I expected, but I imagine the drop in legacies will not be quite so large a percentage from year to year now.

Start to TTC
TTC to MK
MK
Exit of MK to end of golf course
End of golf course to AK
AK
Exit of AK to WWoS
WWoS
Exit WWoS to DHS
DHS
Exit DHS to Epcot
Epcot
Choir
Finish

Thank you for this, I often struggle mentally on my long runs and its even happened during some of my Half Marathons where Ill hit like mile 5 and be like "oh jeez I'm not even half how am I gonna finish this" but the whole thing about breaking it up has really helped me, Ill do that with my runs now where say its and 8 miler Ill break into quarters and be like "just gotta run the first 2 miles, that's easy" "Ok now 2 more, see now your halfway" so on and so forth, so having this breakdown really helps for landmarks. I also so a great quote for the marathon that said "Don't think of it as running 26 miles, but think of it as running just 1 mile, 26 times" I think this will become my mantra for the race

I'm with you, @SarahDisney !
I just finished my first half marathon, and for the first time I wasn't too strict about my pace. And you know what? I had a blast!! :)

I wish we bump into each other during our races! I'd love to meet you all! :)

Thank you for this, I often struggle mentally on my long runs and its even happened during some of my Half Marathons where Ill hit like mile 5 and be like "oh jeez I'm not even half how am I gonna finish this" but the whole thing about breaking it up has really helped me, Ill do that with my runs now where say its and 8 miler Ill break into quarters and be like "just gotta run the first 2 miles, that's easy" "Ok now 2 more, see now your halfway" so on and so forth, so having this breakdown really helps for landmarks. I also so a great quote for the marathon that said "Don't think of it as running 26 miles, but think of it as running just 1 mile, 26 times" I think this will become my mantra for the race
I absolutely break up my long runs into shorter segments, but I also never allow myself to think about the end of any run. Once you start thinking about the end of a run, unless the end is really close - like, in sight, you begin to lose your mental edge. Just don't think about when you will be stopping - ever. You'll find that it helps you to stay strong mentally.

I can't say this often enough - distance running is as much a mental exercise as a physical exercise. Practice mental approaches to success just as you train your body. Visualize yourself being successful. Think of yourself as strong. Never allow yourself to think that you are tired or that your legs hurt - replace those thoughts with something positive like, "Yeah, my legs hurt - isn't it great! I am getting stronger!" or "Feeling a little tired, but I've got this! I have done this before and I know that I can do it!".

Train your mind.

I absolutely break up my long runs into shorter segments, but I also never allow myself to think about the end of any run. Once you start thinking about the end of a run, unless the end is really close - like, in sight, you begin to lose your mental edge. Just don't think about when you will be stopping - ever. You'll find that it helps you to stay strong mentally.

I can't say this often enough - distance running is as much a mental exercise as a physical exercise. Practice mental approaches to success just as you train your body. Visualize yourself being successful. Think of yourself as strong. Never allow yourself to think that you are tired or that your legs hurt - replace those thoughts with something positive like, "Yeah, my legs hurt - isn't it great! I am getting stronger!" or "Feeling a little tired, but I've got this! I have done this before and I know that I can do it!".

Train your mind.

This is PERFECT advice! The science behind this completely backs this premise. In fact, there is even a theory that the mind can only think so much in a given timeframe. They've put cyclists on a bike to exhaustion test, but before they conduct the test they gave one group an easy test (1+1, 2+2, etc.) for 40 min and the second group a much tougher test (geometry and word puzzles) for 40 min. I believe there was something like a 17% difference between the two groups which is astronomical. They've done it with watching thought provoking television versus a comedy show as well (similar results). Train your mind to stop thinking about when its over or stressing over a certain pace, and just run by feel.

Oh are you going to spectate? Any ideas where?

I was thinking about going straight to EPCOT on marathon day, since I won't be doing the Dopey (and I am so regretful right now for not having signed up for that...), but I loved this idea! :cheer2:

I'll be holding up a "Disers, Hi five Pixie Heart for Pixie Dust" sign! :rotfl:

I have so many epic sign ideas for Disney, but logistically with my kiddo and also with us not actually like living in Florida and having to take an airplane there it becomes too cumbersome. But my friend is a huge Super Mario fan and I've often thought how cool it would be to have someone hold a giant "question-mark box" and then egg her on to hit it and then I would pop out with a giant "star" and go running down the side of the street with her. Star Power!

My ideas are pretty nutty and I don't want to have to carry or make those while on vacation. So I thought I'd just share that here.

This is PERFECT advice! The science behind this completely backs this premise. In fact, there is even a theory that the mind can only think so much in a given timeframe. They've put cyclists on a bike to exhaustion test, but before they conduct the test they gave one group an easy test (1+1, 2+2, etc.) for 40 min and the second group a much tougher test (geometry and word puzzles) for 40 min. I believe there was something like a 17% difference between the two groups which is astronomical. They've done it with watching thought provoking television versus a comedy show as well (similar results). Train your mind to stop thinking about when its over or stressing over a certain pace, and just run by feel.
On really long runs I do long division in my head. Miles can fly by without my realizing it, while my pace remains steady. Crazy, but it works.

Yesterday, I was able to convert the 2015 Dopey results from PDF to Excel. It only took about 10 minutes to tidy everything up. I could do the same for Goofy. PM me your e-mail address if you would like the Excel files.
Ohh that would be awesome I would really appreciate it.

I use a variety of calculators that I've compiled from different sources (Hansons and Ben Rappoport) to determine carbohydrate, calorie, and liquid consumption. Without trying to be too personal, with your weight (lbs), estimated time goal, and VO2 max I could give you an estimate as to how many calories/carbohydrates you would need to consume during the race.

Sorry for being so late to this conversation, but would really be interested to see the stats for a slower runner.
This has all been great information to read.
I appreciate so much everyone sharing their experience with fueling and training!

58 yo female, 185lbs, estimated vO2 37, estimated time 5:45

I don't have experience with carb loading, this is my first marathon, my first Goofy. I am still trialling various fuels, not fond of GU-but may return to it, usually use shot blocks and honey stinger drops, the only thing i do know is i don't tolerate gatorade

..and thanks for the viewing sights info I've printed it out for my family :)

I like the beans way better than any of the gels and I was surprised that I actually prefer the berry flavors, even though I'm a chocolate fantatic. It really is about trying different things.

Wow, so much information in this thread!! I am looking to hopefully get signed up for the 2017 Half, though with how quickly it sells out, I am starting to get worried now.

I might have to read through this thread some more, cuz I only read 2 pages so far and WOW! so much info!!

58 yo female, 185lbs, estimated vO2 37, estimated time 5:45

According to the calculator a VO2max of 37 is equivalent to a vVO2 of 7.68mph or a 7:49 pace. This means a desired goal of a 5:45 marathon pace (13:09) is 59.3% of your VO2max. Most marathon runners are somewhere between 60%-70% (for you 13:01 min/mile to 11:10 min/mile) but elite runners can take the percentage as high as 85%. So a 5:45 pace is perfect for your current fitness level, and even suggests without any other injuries or other factors I'm not aware of you could improve your goal the more you train.

Over the entirety of the marathon you will burn an estimated 3548.2 kcals. Given your pace is 59.3% VO2max, it is estimated that 1928.1 kcals of the 3548.2 total calories burned will come from glucose. Assuming an average female leg muscle mass of 16.8kg (21% of your body weight), you have 1345.5 calories of glucose stored in your leg muscles. This means without tapping into any other source you will have a deficit of 582.7 calories of glucose. The average person can take an additional 100 kcals of glucose from the liver without putting the body in danger, thus your final deficit total is 482.7 calories.

This means that either through a carb loading schedule prior to the race, or a nutrition plan during the race you need to consume an extra 482.7 calories to complete the marathon without hitting the wall at the pace you desire (5:45 marathon) given your current fitness level. This breaks down to 83.9 calories per hour (or 21g of carbs per hour) if you decided to only use a nutrition plan during the race. To properly absorb 21 g of carbs per hour you would need to consume 10.5 ounces of water per hour (in ideal environmental conditions). For your fitness level and desired goal, you are well within striking distance of completing the marathon without having to do any additional carb loading prior to the race. My suggestion would be to make sure to practice with whatever nutrition you decide to use on any runs longer than 90 minutes at about 21g per hour or slightly higher.

Best of Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I was thinking about going straight to EPCOT on marathon day, since I won't be doing the Dopey (and I am so regretful right now for not having signed up for that...), but I loved this idea! :cheer2:

I'll be holding up a "Disers, Hi five Pixie Heart for Pixie Dust" sign! :rotfl:

Post where you plan to be and have a marker too. I will stop and go five and sign. This is going to be a fun full.

For those of you curious about course change because of the Speedway, here's a picture of where the Speedway used to be as of today ...
View attachment 130301

It will never be ready in time!!! All joking aside, I think if the plan is to turn it into a parking lot, we will all get the joy of running a mile in a parking lot. Based on my limited construction experience in civil work, I think it is possible it will be ready. Its going to be very interesting to see what they decide to do. One way or another, they would still have to measure the course if it goes through the new parking lot or takes an alternate route.

Hi everyone! After years of just reading (stalking?) I decided to join in. I've completed 6 marathons, 11 half-marathons, and a handful of 5K/10Ks. This January will be my 3rd Dopey (going for Legacy) and I just love the experience of it. I am a big believer in the Hansons Marathon Method after this past marathon where I set a marathon PR by 42 minutes (3:38), a 10K PR (49:22) during miles 17-23, and a half marathon PR (1:46) during the second half of the marathon. By occupation, I am a scientist and feel I may be able to help others enjoy running as much as I do through a combination of my experience and scientific approach to running.

@dancingtodisney I use a variety of calculators that I've compiled from different sources (Hansons and Ben Rappoport) to determine carbohydrate, calorie, and liquid consumption. Without trying to be too personal, with your weight (lbs), estimated time goal, and VO2 max I could give you an estimate as to how many calories/carbohydrates you would need to consume during the race. If you don't know your VO2max, you can use the calculator here to get a very rough estimate (http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx) using your age and resting heart rate.

Hansons are a proponent that it takes the body 10 days to receive the benefits from a workout. Thus, doing any hard workouts within 10 days of the marathon won't really help much. Thus, a 50% reduction in total mileage (don't change # of days running though) from peak week during the last week is their recommendation with intensity being on the slower side of most of your training. To account for the "staleness" from reducing intensity and mileage, on the day before the marathon run 2-3 miles with a few 10 sec bursts up to desired marathon pace.

As for carb loading prior to the race, there are three different main methods out there.

1 - 3 day carb depletion followed by a 3 day carb loading
2 - No carb depletion followed by a 3 day carb loading
3 - A 110% (close to all out effort) run for 30 sec on the day before the marathon, followed by a super carb loading throughout the day.

All three of these methods have been shown to increase glycogen storage to higher levels than normal (with a rough correlation to giving an improvement of 1-3% in overall time). There is also some research out there that a glycogen supercompensation can last as many as 5 days. Personally, I don't like the feeling of being so full on marathon day. So for me, 4 days out from the marathon I start a 3 day carb loading cycle that changes the % of carbs as my diet from 60% up to near 85% with mostly protein filling the remaining difference (I generally don't like to increase my overall calorie consumption though). This way the day before the marathon I can revert back to my normal diet, and feel less full for race day.

The key to any advice though is we are all an experiment of one and thus something that may work great for one person might not work well for someone else. We all just have to find our personal sweet spot through trial and error.

I am interested in you calculation as well.
31 yo male
210 lbs
3:23:15
VO2max = 53 (per garmin)

Appreciate you help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter