Marathon Weekend 2016

About spit the water I was drinking all over my keyboard when I read that line. :rotfl2:

Training at the pace you are at and all of the other runs you are doing, you will do just fine.

This past January I did Goofy with only 2014 Tower of Terror 10 miler really under my belt. 2013 Tower and 2014 January half didn't count as there was no training because of dads health and passing. While I did finish both, I had gotten past the point of being swept and finished well over the time limits.

My training leading up to Goofy were a lot of 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 mile runs. I only did 11 miles once. Nothing longer. I was 3 hours for the 1/2 and 6.37 for the full. I was actually back running that Monday.

Thank you. You've really calmed my nerves. It's crazy, because when I'm at it - I KNOW I can do it. Hopefully after running W&D, even though it's not the same course, it will help about my ability to run the WDW courses.

Though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up driving the course tomorrow or Thursday (the parts I can drive), so I can prepare myself even more.

A Top 500 finish would be 7:23:35 based on last year's times, so that's like my B goal.

My quick calculations come up with an overall average pace of 9:07 min/mi over the 48.656 miles.

You could get there by using the following average paces on the various races:
8:21 for the 5k (25:58 total time)
8:41 for the 10k (53:59 total time)
9:01 for the half marathon (1:58:18 total time)
9:21 for the marathon (4:05:20 total time)

My quick calculations come up with an overall average pace of 9:07 min/mi over the 48.656 miles.

You could get there by using the following average paces on the various races:
8:21 for the 5k (25:58 total time)
8:41 for the 10k (53:59 total time)
9:01 for the half marathon (1:58:18 total time)
9:21 for the marathon (4:05:20 total time)

Thanks for the times. My previous Dopey full (4:27) is where I feel I can make the biggest improvement. This is close to where I feel like I can be.

5K - 23:00
10K - 47:00
Half - 1:50:00
Full - 4:00:00

I'll have a better idea the closer it gets, but I'll keep the times you came up with in my back pocket because I like the looks of them.

If I held something that said "take a pic for disboards" and then posted the pics of whoever stopped with me, maybe we could piece together the names. I wonder if we would get a ton more than peeps just here. I like the sharpie idea too. I still would need to figure out my spot and time of day, probably near contemporary. So I may miss some of you based on speed, etc. all you dopeys I'm gonna find you at the 5k if I can though!

If I held something that said "take a pic for disboards" and then posted the pics of whoever stopped with me, maybe we could piece together the names. I wonder if we would get a ton more than peeps just here. I like the sharpie idea too. I still would need to figure out my spot and time of day, probably near contemporary. So I may miss some of you based on speed, etc. all you dopeys I'm gonna find you at the 5k if I can though!

Don't forget to find the non-Dopeys at the 5K too.
I mean, I'll be super cranky because I hate mornings, but I still want to see everyone who is doing the 5K and/or 10K!

Thank you. You've really calmed my nerves. It's crazy, because when I'm at it - I KNOW I can do it. Hopefully after running W&D, even though it's not the same course, it will help about my ability to run the WDW courses.

Though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up driving the course tomorrow or Thursday (the parts I can drive), so I can prepare myself even more.

Use Google Maps and Google Street View. They already have done the driving for you. They have already mapped most of the roads used. Bear Island Rd which is a service road and goes past the smelly water treatment plant was not driven on. Click on the directional arrow and have fun visualizing your run.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.348...k1vs3w3AYn9tBBCL5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You can also use Bing Maps. Click on Birds Eye view and zoom into where ever you want to see.

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9MjguNDAyNjI5fi04MS41ODAzNzkmbHZsPTE1JnN0eT1yJnE9ZGlzbmV5JTIwd29ybGQ=

Yea, we'll see if it happens for me either. A Top 500 finish would be 7:23:35 based on last year's times, so that's like my B goal.

Wouldn't it be totally awesome to have a running singlet that said I trained with the Hanson's plan, and then have a picture of them!
Is there somewhere where you can see the ranked finish times? For goofy they are sorted alphabetically

Would you be out ther on the half or the full day?

Don't forget to find the non-Dopeys at the 5K too.
I mean, I'll be super cranky because I hate mornings, but I still want to see everyone who is doing the 5K and/or 10K!

Of course @SarahDisney you are like a super top priority meet!

Is there somewhere where you can see the ranked finish times? For goofy they are sorted alphabetically

Would you be out ther on the half or the full day?

I'll be out there the full morning. The day of the half is my daughters super princess castle breakfast & BOG/meet all the princesses day.

My goal(s):
2. Not fly to some remote location in the middle of nowhere and kill @FFigawi for talking me in to Dopey

I'm FFigawi and I approve of this goal. :)

As for diet changes, etc., what have y'all done in previous years leading up to run weekends like this?

I wouldn't change your diet. Practice now to see what kind of diet and fueling works for you on your long runs, and plan on doing the same thing on race day. If you can't eat a lot before running, don't stress over it. Many people can't, me included. I can only manage to get down a Clif bar and some Powerade an hour or two before an early morning race, so I'll eat a bag of Sport Beans about 10 minutes before I start. Not an ideal fueling plan, but it's what works for me. You've got a few more months to experiment to find what works for you.

You can definitely do it! You'll have put all the training in, the rest is all mental preparation and toughness. Driving the course ahead of time can be useful mentally because you'll know what is coming and can plan to run to landmark X, then to point Y, and so on. Breaking a full into manageable pieces is a lot easier to handle than viewing it as 26.2 miles as you're standing in your corral. The WDW course (well, the previous course anyway) lends itself very well to small pieces.

Start to TTC
TTC to MK
MK
Exit of MK to end of golf course
End of golf course to AK
AK
Exit of AK to WWoS
WWoS
Exit WWoS to DHS
DHS
Exit DHS to Epcot
Epcot
Choir
Finish

Last edited:
Unfortunately since we have a three year old with us it will be entirely up to how the day is going with her where all we will end up. We are staying at the BLT by the Contemporary since we will not be buying a park ticket for that particular day. BUT we may also monorail over to the area by the boardwalk as another option. We are trying to see one of our good friends who will be close to the middle or back of the pack as she is training at around a 12:30 to 13:00 pace at this time. We also leave later that day to get back to the real world (boo!)

That's a great idea, hopefully lots of us will have met you the morning of the 5k so we'll know exactly who to look for! You posted earlier about the pace of the person you're spectating and it sounds about the same as what I'll be running so I'll be sure to stop.

I am shocked that y'all run in these temps. But then you would just as shocked to know that down here in South Florida it is not uncommon to run in upper 90's with a heat index of 110 and above. And that can be in the evenings too.
I grew up in Alabama, so I understand running in the heat. I run everywhere that I go (travel a great deal with my job), and that includes many places with those kinds of temps. When I am in those places I tend to limit the length of my runs to 5 miles. I really wonder how folks run a full marathon in those heated conditions.

@DopeyBadger I sent you a connect request on Garmin. I noticed your link on your signature line as well as your PR's. Do you run many shorter races (5k & 10k) or just 10 milers and up?

Unfortunately, I only have...
2014 Goofy and Dopey ranked (got it in excel from @CPTHOMER right after the race weekend)
2015 Dopey ranked (I got this list from Runners World - http://www.runnersworld.com/run-the-numbers/who-won-the-2015-dopey-challenge - which is importable into Excel to do Gender/Division as well)

I could give you a rough estimate using the 2014 ranked Goofy numbers unless someone else has the 2015 results, or if you'd like me to I can run through the marathon and half-marathon results in the sortable results here (http://trackshackresults.com/disney...15/mar_results.php?Link=27&Type=2&Div=B&Ind=4) and copy and paste them into excel and then match bib numbers for Goofy/Dopey participants. Might take me a few hours but its doable and I wouldn't mind. Getting the Dopey ranked results is tougher because the 5K results aren't in an importable format like everything else (never was able to get the PDF results to import correctly). After the 2016 weekend, I was going to give it a little time to see if Runners World or CPTHOMER (haven't seen him in awhile) were to post the Dopey results again. Otherwise, I'll reach out to Runners World to find out how they compiled the 2015 Dopey so quickly (likely got it from TrackShack directly).

Lastly, for any other Perfect Dopeys out there interested in numbers according to the unofficial count by runknittravel there are 1,398 people who ran the 1st and 2nd year (http://runknittravel.com/2015/02/03/dopey-legacy-numbers/).

@DopeyBadger I sent you a connect request on Garmin. I noticed your link on your signature line as well as your PR's. Do you run many shorter races (5k & 10k) or just 10 milers and up?

Sweet! The only 5K/10Ks I've run so far have been part of the Dopey Challenge. My plan in Spring 2017 is to take time away from marathon training and really focus hard on speed and compete in several 5K/10Ks. Then push really hard in Summer/Fall 2017 marathon training to get closer to Boston Qualifying (3:05).

Sweet! The only 5K/10Ks I've run so far have been part of the Dopey Challenge. My plan in Spring 2017 is to take time away from marathon training and really focus hard on speed and compete in several 5K/10Ks. Then push really hard in Summer/Fall 2017 marathon training to get closer to Boston Qualifying (3:05).

That makes sense now. Your marathon time would suggest you are capable of faster 5k's and 10k's, so I was just curious. Getting a BQ is also a goal of mine, (same BQ standard as you) and I think my first real shot of hitting that goal will be Jan 2017. With the way Boston is trending these days, it would be a safe bet to aim closer to 3:00. I think the cut off this year was around BQ -3 minutes. Good luck with training for Disney!

Unfortunately, I only have...
2014 Goofy and Dopey ranked (got it in excel from @CPTHOMER right after the race weekend)
2015 Dopey ranked (I got this list from Runners World - http://www.runnersworld.com/run-the-numbers/who-won-the-2015-dopey-challenge - which is importable into Excel to do Gender/Division as well)

I could give you a rough estimate using the 2014 ranked Goofy numbers unless someone else has the 2015 results, or if you'd like me to I can run through the marathon and half-marathon results in the sortable results here (http://trackshackresults.com/disney...15/mar_results.php?Link=27&Type=2&Div=B&Ind=4) and copy and paste them into excel and then match bib numbers for Goofy/Dopey participants. Might take me a few hours but its doable and I wouldn't mind. Getting the Dopey ranked results is tougher because the 5K results aren't in an importable format like everything else (never was able to get the PDF results to import correctly). After the 2016 weekend, I was going to give it a little time to see if Runners World or CPTHOMER (haven't seen him in awhile) were to post the Dopey results again. Otherwise, I'll reach out to Runners World to find out how they compiled the 2015 Dopey so quickly (likely got it from TrackShack directly).

Lastly, for any other Perfect Dopeys out there interested in numbers according to the unofficial count by runknittravel there are 1,398 people who ran the 1st and 2nd year (http://runknittravel.com/2015/02/03/dopey-legacy-numbers/).

Yesterday, I was able to convert the 2015 Dopey results from PDF to Excel. It only took about 10 minutes to tidy everything up. I could do the same for Goofy. PM me your e-mail address if you would like the Excel files.

I know super early but for the first time since 2007 I am not signing up for marathon weekend 2015. However, I have set my sights on Dopey for 2016. It will be a month before I turn 50 so I think the timing is perfect!

Anyone other then me planning that far ahead?

Kim

Did the OP get in for this years events? I cant recall seeing many post recently and was just curious if she was running it or not? Kind of a random thought I guess.

That makes sense now. Your marathon time would suggest you are capable of faster 5k's and 10k's, so I was just curious. Getting a BQ is also a goal of mine, (same BQ standard as you) and I think my first real shot of hitting that goal will be Jan 2017. With the way Boston is trending these days, it would be a safe bet to aim closer to 3:00. I think the cut off this year was around BQ -3 minutes. Good luck with training for Disney!

Well, and my marathon PR before this last training cycle was 4:20 (November 2014). So true on the cutoffs getting lower and lower. Read an article on Runnersworld about the people who missed the cutoff by seconds even though they thought they had it. What a heartbreak!

That's a huge improvement to PR by over 40 minutes! To miss it by a few seconds would be terrible. I have no idea what I would do. I think to feel very confident about it and saying it was a sure thing I would need to get below 3:00 hours. So much work to get done before getting to that type of pace. I will keep dreaming for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter