• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2016

On the run Disney page it say that we will start receiving information 3 months for the event. Are we not a 3 months from the running weekend yet? Anyone got any e-mails?

About negative splits and a reason to attempt them. One idea for running negative splits is to keep your pace under control at the beginning of the race. At the start, your excitement can get the best of you and you just go out following the people in front of you and before you know it you just finished the first 5k at what would be a 5k PR, but still have 23.1 to go. Doing something like this will crush you towards the back half of the race. It's not a crazy thing to do either, since you have been running more than usual, a faster than normal 5k isn't as hard to do. It can happen to all levels of runners. I watched the Boston Marathon this year and there was a guy in the lead pack that the commentators had no idea who he was because he wasn't ranked in the top 50 ish runners. Well come to find out, the guy wanted his kids to see him on TV so he busted it for the first 5k - 10k and had a nice time at the half. I think his second half took him nearly 2 hours. He is an accomplished runner to be in the first wave and probably a 2:30 marathoner or better. Just and example of why going out to fast will cost you in the end. So while you may not end up running negative splits, it could help prevent you from making a mistake that will cost you in the end. I personally run my first mile 15 to 30 seconds slower than GMP to make sure I don't get caught up in the moment. That does mean looking at my watch a lot, but it pays off. If all goes well, I try to make up those few seconds in the last 5k of the race.

On the run Disney page it say that we will start receiving information 3 months for the event. Are we not a 3 months from the running weekend yet? Anyone got any e-mails?
I have only received the "Be Prepared" email on 9/16. I really don't expect much more until the courses are finalized - probably November.

Speaking of rundisney ... Any guesses when we're going to see the medals? They usually release them 2-3 months in advance, right?

Not that I think they'll be significantly different from last year's (minus Goofy, which I assume will not commemorate the 10th anniversary of the event), but I kinda really want to see them

Your post made me chuckle to myself because it was so spot on. You're exactly right. If I was talking to anyone else I would be telling them if they put in all the work that they should trust their training. It's so much much harder to actually do than to talk about though....

Heck, at this point I am invested in your race!!! Lol!

That being said, I know I am not alone in saying I am very excited for you and can't wait to hear how it went!!
:surfweb:

Last edited:
Heck, at this point I am invested in your race!!! Lol!

That being said, I know I am not alone in saying I am very excited for you and can't wait to hear how it went!!
:surfweb:

Yes, good luck @IamTrike and let us know how you do.

Also, I'm pumped we are inside 90 days! I had my kids all fired up last night because we start making FP+ reservations a month from today.

I am also enjoying the tech side of the discussions.

I am not a fast runner at all. To old for all that quick stuff. I do like reading about tips and ideas on how to better myself as a runner. Last years Goofy challenge was my first marathon ever and finished in 6:37. This year I want to finished the marathon better than that.

I would like to ask those that use protein powder for post run recovery. What type/types do you use? Why? What benefits do you look for?

For those that use foods or protein shakes/drinks for recovery, same questions.

I am trying different things and was wondering what everyone uses to help recover quicker. One I have looked at is for body building but I do not to build muscle mass. And for me it MUST have a chocolate flavor ::yes::

I would like to ask those that use protein powder for post run recovery. What type/types do you use? Why? What benefits do you look for?

I am trying different things and was wondering what everyone uses to help recover quicker. One I have looked at is for body building but I do not to build muscle mass. And for me it MUST have a chocolate flavor ::yes::
I have gout, so have to be careful about the types of protein that I consume, so no protein powder for me. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, chicken and drink milk for most of my protein, though I also eat a Zone bar after longer runs. I also love ice cold low fat chocolate milk after a run in the heat.

Your muscles require protein to heal after they are damaged in exercise. Without taking in protein, your body will break down healthy muscle tissue for the required protein. So, eat protein or watch yourself become weaker instead of stronger over time.

Also, the sooner you take in at least a small amount of protein after vigorous exercise, the more immediate the recovery. This is important if you are exercising every day and you want to avoid muscle pain from day to day.

I'm still a beginning runner and have yet to run 7 miles, so I don't know if this will work at all for longer distances, but ...
I just drink chocolate milk. I take a glass of milk (generally skim/nonfat just because that's what I always drink), pour in some Hershey's (or whatever I have) chocolate syrup, put a straw in it, and enjoy.
I don't know if that's enough protein to help recover from a longer run, but I've found that it works okay for the distances I do.

I'm also a big greek yogurt fan, although I tend to like the really sugary ones, so I don't know that I'd recommend it for everyone - depends on how you feel about sugar in your diet.

I'm still a beginning runner and have yet to run 7 miles, so I don't know if this will work at all for longer distances, but ...
I just drink chocolate milk. I take a glass of milk (generally skim/nonfat just because that's what I always drink), pour in some Hershey's (or whatever I have) chocolate syrup, put a straw in it, and enjoy.
I don't know if that's enough protein to help recover from a longer run, but I've found that it works okay for the distances I do.

I'm also a big greek yogurt fan, although I tend to like the really sugary ones, so I don't know that I'd recommend it for everyone - depends on how you feel about sugar in your diet.
I absolutely love chocolate milk after long runs. I know I'm not the only one. It's the only time I drink milk, but it's the only thing that really hits the spot after 20 miles. I wish they'd hand it out at the finish at Disney.

I like Muscle Milk (chocolate flavor is priced really well at Costco), its a good mix of protein and carbs. For longer/harder runs I'll usually add some chocolate milk and fruit to try and get those glycogen stores back up and hopefully recover a little more efficiently.

For those that use foods or protein shakes/drinks for recovery, same questions

I use chocolate milk (ideal mix of protein & carbs) and beer (carbs).

I drink chocolate milk, 2% I think it is, after every run - hits the spot every time. We brought the Nesquick bottles that don't need refrigeration on our Disneyland 1/2 trip and plan to for marathon weekend too then we'll buy when/if we run out.

I am also enjoying the tech side of the discussions.

I am not a fast runner at all. To old for all that quick stuff. I do like reading about tips and ideas on how to better myself as a runner. Last years Goofy challenge was my first marathon ever and finished in 6:37. This year I want to finished the marathon better than that.

It all really depends on what you are wanting to achieve and how difficult the workout. Muscle Milk is very tasty but high on calories/carb compared to other products. I wouldn't recommend drinking this for every run. Maybe runs of a hour or more. They have/had a product called Isopure (?SP) that was very lean, but also very expensive. I usually have just one scoop of muscle milk in the morning with skim milk on days that I have a tuff run that afternoon. I also usually have a chocolate milk from whole milk after runs on 7+ miles. Now if you are doing mile, or 800m repeats as well as tempo runs, then I would take in something high in protein for recovery for the hard workout. The key I have been told is to consume within the hour of completing the workout. I for one love choclolate milk after a hard run.

As others have said Chocolate Milk is your friend.

***FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, PLEASE RUNDISNEY TELL YOUR COKE CONTACT TO HAVE FAIRLIFE CHOCOLATE MILK AT THE END OF THE RACE***

I usually try and drink a protien shake after hard runs, run's above about an hour and a half in length or tempo or speedworkouts. I've had a couple different brands including some that I've bought at target. Depending on my caloric goal I'll mix it with water milk or iced coffee. I have some Six Star protien powder from the vitamin shop now. I do not like it. It doesn't dissolve well at all.

Yes, good luck @IamTrike and let us know how you do.

Also, I'm pumped we are inside 90 days! I had my kids all fired up last night because we start making FP+ reservations a month from today.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. DW and I are getting ready to head to the airport.

Also saw someone prancersizing recently. Was it one of you guys?

That was me! I'm choreographing a piece about negative splits for marathon weekend....but you know...jazz splits!
Aerobics%20photo%20by%20Laurent%20Philippe.jpg

But on the serious side* - I've experimented with what is too fast to go out (short distance runner here) and found that if I go out at what feels like my comfortable fast and then wait for the lady in my headphones to tell me my pace at .25 miles that I then can adjust to where I actually want to be and re-adjust again if needed at .5 miles
This half a mile usually banks me some time and helps me get settled. I then try to run my last mile as hard as possible. So my races kind of start fast, even out, and finish fast. So far I tend to be too slow if I start too slow and I bonk if I sustain too fast for the whole first mile.
I'm still learning and I'm not doing marathons...yet.

*I don't have a serious side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter