Marathon Weekend 2016

Okay, so, to go to an entirely unrelated topic ...

Opinion Poll: Running while slightly sick - yay or nay? Or does it depend on what kind of sick you are?

I've always been of the opinion that if I can get up and run, I should. I went out with the beginnings of a head cold this AM and I did not have the best of runs. I know the fact that I feel like crap now is just the cold getting worse because I have yet to take something for it (other than tea), but I'm wondering if I made the right choice running this AM, and I'm curious to know what others do. So what do you do when you're sick - reschedule the run, modify it in some way, or just go out there and do it?
I only stop running if the illness effects my ability to breathe well. I run through just about every illness that I get. Head cold - run, chest cold - probably not.

I've heard the rule of "if it's above the neck, run...if it's below the neck, don't run." Sometimes if I have a cold or whatever I find that running does help me feel better - clears out the sinuses, gets the blood moving, endorphins going, whatever. But if it's a pretty bad cold or a sinus infection, I shut it down. So this probably isn't helpful...I just sort of play it by ear. :confused3 Depends on how sick I feel I guess.

My doctor (who also runs) told me (even encourages) running when experiencing sinus congestion because he says it helps drain the sinuses.

However, he also said absolutely no running when experiencing a fever. He says that's a sign the body is having a tough enough time fighting the cold symptoms. Running would be counter-productive at that point.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just relaying info passed to me that I follow. Hope it helps!

My philosophy with running is simply, if it's not fun, what's the point? I do it to escape/mitigate stress and it's the one area of my life where I'm not total Type-A obsessive.
ITA and feel the same! I ran for decades without ever measuring distance, speed or pace. I do now because I want to make sure I'm prepared for races - meaning that I'm as fit as I need to be to have fun at them and not feel like death, lol! I have a very strong competitive drive, but I'm also quite aware of my body's limitations and what it does if I push past them. That ruins the fun, therapeutic part of running for me.

I love discussions about running and race strategy and I honestly feel like I get a lot from them, even if I'll never in my life pull off a sub-8:00 mile. But I know that a lot of newer runners are intimidated by all the chat, so I wanted to offer some perspective from the slower zone, too: there's lots of good info here from which we can all benefit! :thumbsup2

Opinion Poll: Running while slightly sick - yay or nay? Or does it depend on what kind of sick you are?
Above the neck, no fever and overall feeling okay (not run down and exhausted) - yay. Cough, fever, overall malaise - nay. Also if I start in the yay and after 5 mins of running feel worse I end it right there.

I wrote that post about not negative splitting the marathon and I just now realized that I HAVE negative-split the marathon before...normally the Magic Kingdom mile takes me a long time due to all of the character photos there, and that's in the first half. So voila - negative split! :teeth:

Pretty sure that's not the kind of strategizing you guys were talking about in earlier posts though...:teeth:
Works for me!!! :banana:

I've always been of the opinion that if I can get up and run, I should. I went out with the beginnings of a head cold this AM and I did not have the best of runs. I know the fact that I feel like crap now is just the cold getting worse because I have yet to take something for it (other than tea), but I'm wondering if I made the right choice running this AM, and I'm curious to know what others do. So what do you do when you're sick - reschedule the run, modify it in some way, or just go out there and do it?

I look at it the same way my parents presented things to me when I was younger. If you are sick enough to miss school then you are to sick to participate in "after school activity x". So, if I make it to work, then I can make it out the door for a few miles. Now the intensity may be reduced, but I still try to get the miles in.

"My doctor (who also runs) told me (even encourages) running when experiencing sinus congestion because he says it helps drain the sinuses.
However, he also said absolutely no running when experiencing a fever. He says that's a sign the body is having a tough enough time fighting the cold symptoms. Running would be counter-productive at that point."

Running with a fever is not a great idea. I thought I was getting over a cold and decided to run a half marathon... well I hit my pace for the first 2 miles and then things went down hill very fast. Did a lot of run/walk for the last 11 miles (A unusual practice for me). Probably the worse running experience I have ever had.

Last edited:

I run with colds, but usually not with really bad stomach bugs, fevers or If I feel dizzy at all as it's pretty impossible to stay upright when the world spins. I ran the marathon with the flu, it was rough, but it can be done. My thing is if it's hard to do regular day to day things with being sick then running won't happen.

Yeah, there has definitely been a lot of "serious pace talk" in this thread lately - maybe the most I have seen in the few years I've been a member of these boards.

I have totally had this feeling before and I just try to remind myself that running is very individual and very personal - someone not being happy with their slow-to-them, fast-to-me pace is not a knock on my abilities, and just because another person wants to negative-split their WDW marathon and I don't, and just because they are running 50-60MPW where I'm topping out at 40 or less, doesn't mean that I am doing something wrong. It just means that their goals and abilities are different than mine are - and that is okay!!

Like you said, perspective is key.
I like this. And it reminds me of my favorite running quote from George Sheehan I mentioned a bunch of pages back (and will probably mention 100x more by January :))

"The most important thing I learned [from running] is that there is only one runner in this race, and that is me."

Unless you're one of the handful of men and women who are in contention to finish first, then it doesn't matter what anyone else is saying or doing. In the end, we all share the same common goal of enjoying this great sport and finishing a marathon (!) which only 0.5% of the population can say they've done.

So totally off the current topics...has anyone stayed at the All Star Music family suites? We are travelling with another family (of 5) who may have a hard time pulling this trip off and I saw that there are still suites available. According to what I have read the family suites are in the Jazz and Calypso buildings which are the 2 closest ones to the main hall. I am just looking for general opinions of the resort, not anything specific to how it will work with marathon weekend. We have had the luxury of being able to stay deluxe during marathon weekend before so I am already assuming this would be a different experience.
Thanks!

I ran the marathon with the flu, it was rough, but it can be done.

Ugh - me, too.

I caught a cold right before Space Coast last year. I was up all night - could not breathe, had a headache, sneezing, sore throat. Less than an hour of total sleep time.

Felt pretty good for the first half - given the way I was feeling, I felt invincible at that time. Hit the wall at Mile 14. HARD.

I finished, but my time was worse than even my first ever marathon...but I got that towel!

That was a miserable day but, like you said, it can be done!

If I'm light headed in any way...I stay home because I've had issues personally being low blood-pressure and fainty...especially if it's mixed with any dehydration. If I'm deeply congested where it affects my breathing...I stay home. But if it's like a cough or just a "tired-ness" or throat thing...I will jog or walk but at a significantly slower pace and generally at a much shorter distance or timeframe. I think the fresh air is good for me (depending on the weather.)
For me personally, rest is not something I get a lot of...so I try to really make time for it when I am sick. But I do like fresh air!!

Ugh - me, too.

I caught a cold right before Space Coast last year. I was up all night - could not breathe, had a headache, sneezing, sore throat. Less than an hour of total sleep time.

Felt pretty good for the first half - given the way I was feeling, I felt invincible at that time. Hit the wall at Mile 14. HARD.

I finished, but my time was worse than even my first ever marathon...but I got that towel!

That was a miserable day but, like you said, it can be done!
OMG, The hour of sleep thing is soooo true! I couldn't stop coughing, nothing worked (Nyquil was a joke), It was painful knowing sleep wasn't happening so I just would start laughing! The plan for dopey now is to bring movies and hook a dvd player up to the tv, ones I know I can fall asleep to just in case. Glad to hear you made it though your race too!

So totally off the current topics...has anyone stayed at the All Star Music family suites? We are travelling with another family (of 5) who may have a hard time pulling this trip off and I saw that there are still suites available. According to what I have read the family suites are in the Jazz and Calypso buildings which are the 2 closest ones to the main hall. I am just looking for general opinions of the resort, not anything specific to how it will work with marathon weekend. We have had the luxury of being able to stay deluxe during marathon weekend before so I am already assuming this would be a different experience.
Thanks!
I haven't stayed at All Star Music but have stayed at Sports and Pop century which are very similar. Value resorts are great places if you're looking for just a place to stay and maybe take a swim. They aren't the most relaxing resorts and tend to be on the noisy side but you should be fine. We are the type of people that spend the most of our time at other places like the parks rather than sitting at the hotel so values have worked for us in the past. I believe the Music food court was redone last year so that should be a plus. The pools are fun shaped but don't have any slides. Overall I think you should be fine if you are mainly just going to be sleeping there and swimming if it's warm enough. Otherwise there just isn't a whole lot to do at the values.

Question on resorts - you can book through regular Disney and still use the Rundisney transportation right? We're staying at Pop which I booked through our regular venue and when I called to ask a question they told me the only way to use the transportation was to book through the RunDisney phone number. Seemed unlikely but you never know so I figured I would check...

Question on resorts - you can book through regular Disney and still use the Rundisney transportation right? We're staying at Pop which I booked through our regular venue and when I called to ask a question they told me the only way to use the transportation was to book through the RunDisney phone number. Seemed unlikely but you never know so I figured I would check...

Absolutely.
There will be signs outside for race weekend transportation - anyone can get on those buses. They're not checking anything.
You have to grab transportation from a host resort, but since all resorts are host resorts for Marathon, that's not an issue here.
(I'm at Pop too - maybe I'll see you at the bus stop!)

I'd start with the 3:30 group. You'll have to run faster than that pace to hit 3:30 if you start with the people at 3:35. Starting too fast would be heading out as if you were shooting for 3:25. If 3:30 is what you've trained for and been working towards, run at that pace for as long as you possibly can. And then keep going.
@IamTrike;
I am late to this conversation, and you know I am a relative newbie, but I vote with @FFigawi. IMHO you have put in the training, the time , the footwork, to run a goal... Go for the goal!! You can second guess til the cows come home... But the bottom line... If you don't go for it, put your training to the test... Will you really know what you could have done?
You and many others told me to trust my training,
Now I am encouraging you to do the same!!
Go for your goal, and believe in your training!!!

I've always wondered why there's so much bad information given out,the Run Disney buses to and from the expo and the races are there for everybody to use.Every resort will have a sign out by the lobby pointing to the pickup location.

Yeah, there has definitely been a lot of "serious pace talk" in this thread lately - maybe the most I have seen in the few years I've been a member of these boards.

I have totally had this feeling before and I just try to remind myself that running is very individual and very personal - someone not being happy with their slow-to-them, fast-to-me pace is not a knock on my abilities, and just because another person wants to negative-split their WDW marathon and I don't, and just because they are running 50-60MPW where I'm topping out at 40 or less, doesn't mean that I am doing something wrong. It just means that their goals and abilities are different than mine are - and that is okay!!

Like you said, perspective is key.
I'm definitely guilty of the more serious pace talk this year. I've been pretty active on the boards since 2011 and this is the first time I've seen a lot of conversation like this. It's wierd because I am a big believer in the fact that running is an individual thing. It's a competition with self and not others. At the same time I've always felt kind of weird talking about worrying about improving times. This year I kind of felt that I would actually see how committed I was to the "individual thing" mindset and try and not be ashamed to voice my concerns and worries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter