Marathon Weekend 2016

Lactose intolerant here, but that means I'm smart enough not to take a chocolate milk if I know it's going to do a number on me. I certainly wouldn't mind the option being there for others.

My guess is it's a sponsorship thing as well. Since Dasani and Powerade have been the drinks of choice I am assuming they are working with some division of Coke. I guess you could work on trying to get Coke to buy some dairies?

Coke bought Fairlife, so they do own a Dairy.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...e-milk-premium-milk-dairy-nutrition/22798261/

Lactose intolerant here, but that means I'm smart enough not to take a chocolate milk if I know it's going to do a number on me. I certainly wouldn't mind the option being there for others.

My guess is it's a sponsorship thing as well. Since Dasani and Powerade have been the drinks of choice I am assuming they are working with some division of Coke. I guess you could work on trying to get Coke to buy some dairies?

I think your explanation is a much better one than mine. I think coke distributes "Core-Power", so I guess this would be the most likely product we would see if offered.

lloyd.png

I have no problems or side effects when I run the long distances in training, but whenever I run a race that is 10 miles or more I usually end up with a nasty headache/migraine the rest of the day. I've tried taking medicine, drinking more Gatorade and water, and eating almost right away. Does anyone else suffer from this after a race? If so, what do you do to try and prevent the headaches/migraines after a race?
Since it is only happening in races, not in long training runs, I suspect that it is a difference in posture or tension. Try to relax more when running a long race.

I vary, and I've started pushing my wife to vary as well in her training.

I do the FIRST training which calls for training runs 3x per week with various intervals and distances on the weekday runs. Doing that helped build up my endurance, which led me to extend long runs from 5:1 intervals to longer minutes to eventually doing a mile or more with one minute walks to sip a drink and/or do an energy gel. As I've gotten better at that and handled 5-10 mile runs with no breaks during the week, I'm looking to extend my step-back long runs of 15 miles to 5 miles:1 and gradually increase intervals for the 20 mile long runs from 1.3 now to that same 5 by mid-October.

My wife has typically been a 1:1 runner with no interest in changing that, but also wanting to get faster. After convincing her that gradually extending those runs would help her get faster and be easier than increasing the pace of those one minute runs, she set a spring PR doing just under two minute runs. She dropped off the training for a bit, so now we're building her long runs back up from 1:30 while adapting the FIRST training for her two weekday runs. On Tuesdays we're playing with light speed work, running 0.25-0.5 mile intervals faster than race pace, which still takes well over a minute to do; and on Thursdays we're running half mile intervals with only one minute rest in between, gradually increasing the number of half miles run before we start to increase toward full miles.

The weekday runs only total 3-4 miles, so she's working harder but for less time. This makes the increased intervals on her long runs easier since they're still no longer than her weekday runs and at a lower intensity. She's improving both her pace when running and her overall pace by spending a longer amount of time at that pace than before.

I am a 1:1 runner also and even those intervals are slow. I think my interval paces are 12 min run and 15 min walking. I know sometimes my runs are faster than that, but then my walks suffer. Those are the paces I'm going to try and stick to for the DLH anyway.

My plan for after the DLH, which will be my first half, is to concentrate on getting faster. But I don't know whether increasing my current 1:1 intervals is possible. I know my cardio is probably better than I think, but my legs get tired very quickly in the longer distances. I'm guessing I need to add in some cross training like everyone else (ha). My problem with that is I don't really see myself working out more than 3 days a week (sorry, I"m just too tired after run days to work out again). So do I run only 2x a week then? I guess something will have to give. :)

As someone who has been struggling with plantars fasciitis for the last 3 months, I totally understand your frustration. The only reason that I have not taken a month or more off is the Dopey that I am running in January. I ran 9 miles yesterday and my body did the work effortlessly, but my foot hurt every step of the run.

Its not even about the injury. I had a tough summer on a personal level and I was bummed out. I let that impact me and I gave into the excuses. That's really is what is bothering me. When you are trying to qualify for Boston there is little room for error for most people. I made errors and now I need to live with it. I'm not saying the injuries helped, but I could have still made better progress than I have.

Running with a foot issue isn't any fun at all, and I know how you feel. What is the problem with the foot and have you seen a Dr about it yet. Odds are though, the Dr. will say you need to rest it unless your Dr is a also a crazy runner, then they will try almost anything to help you finish your training cycle. Tried dry needling yet? It's a whole lot of fun when they stick the bottom of your foot...

I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot and tendonitis in both Achilles. I did go to the doctor and he told me to give up running altogether. I couldn't believe it. He wasn't my real doctor, my doctor was on vacation, but still. As for treatment, I stretch and ice it down. That's about the extent of what I will do. Once the WDW Marathon is over I will take come time off.

I have no problems or side effects when I run the long distances in training, but whenever I run a race that is 10 miles or more I usually end up with a nasty headache/migraine the rest of the day. I've tried taking medicine, drinking more Gatorade and water, and eating almost right away. Does anyone else suffer from this after a race? If so, what do you do to try and prevent the headaches/migraines after a race?

I often have the same issue. Usually mine are associated with heat, but not always. I focus on drinking lots of water the day before the big run, and then I will also take two Advil with my breakfast in the morning before I go out on my long run. The preventative Advil seems to help, along with the tips you've already mentioned. I find a do better if I get something with some sugar and salt right after a long run. I've taken to keeping a small PB&J sandwich (or and "Uncrustable") in my car to eat immediately after a long run. I also keep an extra bottle of water with lots of ice so after the run I can have my PB&J snack along with plenty of water.

Last edited:
Since it is only happening in races, not in long training runs, I suspect that it is a difference in posture or tension. Try to relax more when running a long race.
That's a good theory. I'll try to relax a little more, maybe it is just the adrenaline causing the headaches.

I often have the same issue. Usually mine are associated with heat, but not always. I focus on drinking lots of water the day before the big run, and then I will also take two Advil with my breakfast in the morning before I go out on my long run. The preventative Advil seems to help, along with the tips you've already mentioned. I find a do better if I get something with some sugar and salt right after a long run. I've taken to keeping a small PB&J sandwich (or and "Uncrushable") in my car to eat immediately after a long run. I also keep an extra bottle of water with lots of ice so after the run I can have my PB&J snack along with plenty of water.
I might have to try a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich after a race. I usually go for a bagel, banana, and cookies or donuts after the race. I thought it could be due to dehydration also but I run with a waterbottle and stop at the majority of the water stops to refill the bottle.

I might have to try a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich after a race. I usually go for a bagel, banana, and cookies or donuts after the race. I thought it could be due to dehydration also but I run with a waterbottle and stop at the majority of the water stops to refill the bottle.

Just realized auto-corrected changed Uncrustable to Uncrushable...

I'd gladly give up the legal ability to drink alcohol :duck:if I could go back to my high school years! You'll turn 21 sooner than you realize :)
I know. Going into my senior year of high school and thinking I thought I just started freshman year like yesterday.

Thanks BuckeyeBama went for a run this morning used my timer like I always do but I used it more for reference. followed your advice and the run went a lot better for me mentally. I guess it became some thought in the back of my mind that I needed those breaks.

I am a 1:1 runner also and even those intervals are slow. I think my interval paces are 12 min run and 15 min walking. I know sometimes my runs are faster than that, but then my walks suffer. Those are the paces I'm going to try and stick to for the DLH anyway.

My plan for after the DLH, which will be my first half, is to concentrate on getting faster. But I don't know whether increasing my current 1:1 intervals is possible. I know my cardio is probably better than I think, but my legs get tired very quickly in the longer distances. I'm guessing I need to add in some cross training like everyone else (ha). My problem with that is I don't really see myself working out more than 3 days a week (sorry, I"m just too tired after run days to work out again). So do I run only 2x a week then? I guess something will have to give. :)

As my runs get longer I will probably do some more cross training (if I don't, I get IT issues). But, you can also work out and then go for your shorter runs. I do a bit of that right now. During my shorter speed and mid-week runs, I do a quick 10 minute workout that includes things like squats and lunges and different types of crunches, etc. and THEN I go for my run.

I often have the same issue. Usually mine are associated with heat, but not always. I focus on drinking lots of water the day before the big run, and then I will also take two Advil with my breakfast in the morning before I go out on my long run. The preventative Advil seems to help, along with the tips you've already mentioned. I find a do better if I get something with some sugar and salt right after a long run. I've taken to keeping a small PB&J sandwich (or and "Uncrustable") in my car to eat immediately after a long run. I also keep an extra bottle of water with lots of ice so after the run I can have my PB&J snack along with plenty of water.

Others may have some better info for you here, but I noticed you said advil before long runs. I have always heard these (and any NSAID, like aleve too) is hard on your kidneys and tylenol is better.

Others may have some better info for you here, but I noticed you said advil before long runs. I have always heard these (and any NSAID, like aleve too) is hard on your kidneys and tylenol is better.
While this is true, NSAIDs are used for a very different purpose than Tylenol. NSAIDs are used to relieve swelling/inflammation. If there is pain associated with that inflammation then pain relief may occur when taking NSAIDs, but that is a result of the reduced inflammation. Taking pain killers where the pain is caused by inflammation is almost completely ineffective.

For instance, with plantars fasciitis you can eat Tylenol like candy and never get relief. Take 2-4 Advil and the pain is gone.

All that said - if I am in so much pain that I need NSAIDs before taking the first step, I skip the run. Your kidneys are placed under stress when running, especially when running long or in the heat. I don't add to that stress by taking NSAIDs. I wait until I am fully hydrated after the run if I need them.

While this is true, NSAIDs are used for a very different purpose than Tylenol. NSAIDs are used to relieve swelling/inflammation. If there is pain associated with that inflammation then pain relief may occur when taking NSAIDs, but that is a result of the reduced inflammation. Taking pain killers where the pain is caused by inflammation is almost completely ineffective.

For instance, with plantars fasciitis you can eat Tylenol like candy and never get relief. Take 2-4 Advil and the pain is gone.

All that said - if I am in so much pain that I need NSAIDs before taking the first step, I skip the run. Your kidneys are placed under stress when running, especially when running long or in the heat. I don't add to that stress by taking NSAIDs. I wait until I am fully hydrated after the run if I need them.

True it probably depends on what exactly the pain is from. I haven't had plantar F. so I can't comment on that at all. I was told that advil reduces inflammation and therefore the chemical it creates that relays pain to the brain via nerve endings, but tylenol just dulls the nerve endings themselves. (Thanks to a sinus infection that gave me a horrendous toothache, I was given a fascinating combo of both!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter