Marathon Weekend 2016

Totally forgot to post this after my run this morning.

I have a question for my fellow run/walkers. Do you use the same intervals for all runs, regardless of distance? Or do you vary your intervals for different distances.
I use different intervals for different purposes, and I shake them up regularly just to avoid monotony. In the heat of summer, I tend to do longer run intervals on short runs because they force me to slow down and avoid heat stress. But I'll use longer walk intervals on hot long runs for the same reason. I like super short Tabata intervals for speed work, but will also do 400 or 800m repeats in other workouts.

I have no problems or side effects when I run the long distances in training, but whenever I run a race that is 10 miles or more I usually end up with a nasty headache/migraine the rest of the day. I've tried taking medicine, drinking more Gatorade and water, and eating almost right away. Does anyone else suffer from this after a race? If so, what do you do to try and prevent the headaches/migraines after a race?
Yep and I know mine have to do with a different routine on race days, i.e.: waking, eating, etc. earlier than usual. So on a normal day I'd be up around 6am, breakfast (with coffee) done by 7. I'm on a 2nd cup of coffee around 9am, snack at 10am. On a WDW race morning I'm up at 2am, breakfast done at 2:30, a Clif bar around 5am, then nothing but gels and fluids until I finish and get somewhere - which could easily be 10am or later. Key for me is eating ASAP after finishing and a dose of caffeine to constrict blood vessels. Even then I usually have a dull headache the rest of the day, but nothing at migraine level.

Just an FYI on using NSAIDS and other medications pre-emptively: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/what-runners-should-know-about-pain-medications

Besides potential kidney, digestive, and blood pressure issues,

"Many runners believe that NSAIDs increase their pain tolerance, but studies contradict this notion. In 2005, David Nieman, Dr. P. H., director of the human performance lab at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina, examined ibuprofen use at Western States. About 70 percent of the racers said they took it to help them manage the discomfort of racing. But when he measured pain and muscle soreness in these pill poppers, he found no reduction compared with nonusers. Worse, ibuprofen takers had more inflammation. "There's no good reason to use ibuprofen during a race," Nieman says. "There are too many potential negatives." Any pain and inflammation that turns up while running is not something you should medicate but a signal that it's time to reevaluate your training regimen, he says."
Your experiences may vary, but good to at least be aware of it in case you may unknowingly be exacerbating any issues.

Just an FYI on using NSAIDS and other medications pre-emptively: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/what-runners-should-know-about-pain-medications

Besides potential kidney, digestive, and blood pressure issues,

"Many runners believe that NSAIDs increase their pain tolerance, but studies contradict this notion. In 2005, David Nieman, Dr. P. H., director of the human performance lab at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina, examined ibuprofen use at Western States. About 70 percent of the racers said they took it to help them manage the discomfort of racing. But when he measured pain and muscle soreness in these pill poppers, he found no reduction compared with nonusers. Worse, ibuprofen takers had more inflammation. "There's no good reason to use ibuprofen during a race," Nieman says. "There are too many potential negatives." Any pain and inflammation that turns up while running is not something you should medicate but a signal that it's time to reevaluate your training regimen, he says."
Your experiences may vary, but good to at least be aware of it in case you may unknowingly be exacerbating any issues.

This is great info. Thanks for sharing. I actually take Advil (some times) before a long run to avoid and treat severe headaches. Just a personal issue that I deal with, but I think this is really useful information for everyone to keep in mind.

The latest disneyland half marathon guide also mentions not using NSAIDS...use tylenol if you must, i believe

Read the doctor section of the guide

This is neither here nor there as far as running goes and is not really an indictment of NSAIDs, but I was sidelined for over a month at almost exactly this time last year after having an adverse reaction to Naproxen prescribed to help manage pain from a torn rotator cuff. Despite taking less than the recommended dose it was the only proximate cause they could find when diagnosing the duodenal ulcer I developed (all H. pylori tests came back negative). I ended up having three scopes before they fully repaired the ulcer, received two blood transfusions, multiple iron transfusions, and had blood drawn more times than I can count to test my hemoglobin levels (somewhere between 50-100 times) after the ulcer was repaired.

I am sure it was just a fluke thing, but be careful when using any type of pain medication.

For those of you who have read the research on NSAIDs and running ... is there a documented difference between shorter runs and longer runs? Or is it something that should be avoided even for short runs?

When my back is bothering me, Aleve (naproxen sodium ... aka an NSAID) is the only thing that helps. I generally do my best not to go out on longer runs when my back hurts, but sometimes I'll take an Aleve and then about an hour later go out for a 2-3 mile run. I'm wondering if maybe that's not even a good idea ...

How long and how frequent are your weekday runs? Think the advice about the clothes is good, but if you're logging a lot of time you might look into some of the 3x per week plans for some more run/life balance.

If you're already doing something like that, then I'm there on the clothes ready with the alarm and coffee! :coffee::hyper:

Not trying to do long distance during the week - 6 miles, long of 8. I like the idea of having clothes ready or maybe simply putting them on the night before (if they are a first wear...) Coffee is a good idea, usually I would wait until after. Thanks.

Normally I do 4/1 for all of my runs, but I'm trying to build back up to that right now after injury. Definitely mix it up and see what you like!

I agree that it helps to have everything ready the night before. My lunch is packed, running clothes laid out and work clothes laid out before bed the night before...so I just get up, get dressed, grab my stuff and go. I run in the gym at work and shower/primp in the locker room. And I leave packets of oatmeal in my desk for breakfast.

The worst/most difficult part of being a morning runner, in my experience, is actually getting myself out of bed. Once I actually get up it's good - I like getting it out of the way and I think it really helps to wake me up. I don't think I could ever go back to running after work now that I'm used to getting it done in the morning. :confused3

That is exactly my struggle unfortunately. Not wanting to get out of bed. I admire your dedication. I am simply going to have to suck it up! Thanks for the suggestions.

You mean watching a beautiful sun rise in the morning isn't enough motivation on it own? j/k. Try to reward yourself with something out of the norm. For example, if I have a 6-10 mile run that I need to do in the morning, that I don't feel like waking up at 4 ish in the morning for. You get the miles in, then there's a pint of whole chocolate milk waiting for you when your done. If I don't do, I wont allow myself to have it. For some reason chocolate milk is very motivating to me. If I miss a run I usually beat myself up for it all day. That feeling of disappointment has always been worse than any feeling I have after a run and has not exceeded the short term happiness of getting a little extra sleep.

Chocolate milk, now that is a reason to get up! Thanks.

For those of you who have read the research on NSAIDs and running ... is there a documented difference between shorter runs and longer runs? Or is it something that should be avoided even for short runs?

When my back is bothering me, Aleve (naproxen sodium ... aka an NSAID) is the only thing that helps. I generally do my best not to go out on longer runs when my back hurts, but sometimes I'll take an Aleve and then about an hour later go out for a 2-3 mile run. I'm wondering if maybe that's not even a good idea ...
I haven't fully researched it so much as seen numerous articles like the one I provided in running magazines and other health related websites. So speaking as a complete non-expert, I think the suggestion is that masking the pain with medication allows you to otherwise push through injuries that should be addressed at their root rather than their symptom; covering the pain and continuing on in the activity may be more likely to perpetuate or exacerbate the source of the pain, doing more harm over the long run -- literally and figuratively in this case.

From the Disneyland Half Marathon Medical Director (From the Guide):

• Recent medical research has shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. may be
harmful to runners’ kidney function if taken within 24 hours of running. Only acetaminophen (GoodSense) has been shown to be safe.
• NSAIDs are thought to increase the possibility of hyponatremia while running long distances by decreasing blood flow to the kidneys and interfering with a hormone that helps the body retain salt. Therefore it is recommended that on race day (specifically beginning midnight before you run) you DO NOT use anything but acetaminophen (GoodSense) if needed until 6 hours after you have finished the race, are able to drink without any nausea or vomiting, have urinated once, and feel physically and mentally back to normal. Then, a NSAID would be beneficial in preventing post-event muscle soreness.

Last edited:
From the Disneyland Half Marathon Medical Director (From the Guide):
Thanks - This is exactly what I do, wait until I am fully rehydrated after a long run before taking Advil (and then, I only take it if I really need it, like when I am dealing with plantars fasciitis).

As for taking pain killers - If I need them to run, it is time to stop running.

As for taking pain killers - If I need them to run, it is time to stop running.

That's the attitude that stopped me from running from ages 13 through 25!

Truthfully ... in my opinion, if you need painkillers to get through every run, what you actually need is a good doctor and/or physical therapist.

For me, I get aches and pains sometimes. Sometimes my back, sometimes my knees, occasionally something else. I'm not as young as I once was (I know, funny coming from a 29-year-old). I do occasionally have to take painkillers - mostly I try to wait until a while after the run, but if I don't think I can go out there without them, my first choice is to postpone the run, and if I can't really do that, I'll take something. One day this week I was okay going out but then did something to my back while I was running, so I took Aleve the second I got home because I was in a lot of pain and I knew that continuing my morning routine would just make it worse. Those days are rare, but if it keeps happening, I'll see a doctor.

I think that if you need pain killers for every run, that's a problem. If you need them occasionally, I don't see a problem with it ... as long as you're being safe about it. Which may mean only taking tylenol or waiting until a few hours after the run to take something. That's where reading the literature and doing the research comes in - knowing how to use pain killers safely for when they are necessary.

I think that if you need pain killers for every run, that's a problem. If you need them occasionally, I don't see a problem with it ... as long as you're being safe about it. Which may mean only taking tylenol or waiting until a few hours after the run to take something. That's where reading the literature and doing the research comes in - knowing how to use pain killers safely for when they are necessary.
I agree - but it also depends on the severity of the pain that you are trying to mask. Some pain should not be ignored. But I think that we are on the same page. I use them occasionally now, but my rule is no more than once/week. If I need them more often than that - time for a break. Everyone has to make these decisions for themselves. I have a friend who takes Tylenol and/or Advil every day so he can run.

I also stopped running for years. I was misdiagnosed - arthritis (turned out to be gout). The pain could be masked, but it meant taking pain killers every day, so I gave up running. I was only able to run again after a proper diagnosis and treatment for my gout. I now run pain free, without pain killers (with respect my gout symptoms).

My doctor that diagnosed my plantar fasciitis told me I should be taking Motrin every 4 hours to reduce the inflammation. I only take it after a run though, just to help reduce the pain. I don't take it before a run ever. I MAY take it before my fall races just to make it easier to get through it, knowing I am not causing any more damage.

My shin is hurting from yesterday's run still. I have to run in the morning. No idea what I am going to do. It is so frustrating. I can't keep missing these training runs. I couldn't run today because I had a medical procedure that required fasting so I couldn't run this morning and then not be able to eat until lunch.

I used to think runners were crazy, running in the dark, running in frigid winter temps here in MA, etc... Now I am one of those people where just about every decision I make revolves around running and/or Disney. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1 I need an intervention!

I used to think runners were crazy, running in the dark, running in frigid winter temps here in MA, etc... Now I am one of those people where just about every decision I make revolves around running and/or Disney. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1 I need an intervention!

I'm not going to be much help here...
I knew I was crazy when I went out running the day after a snowstorm, slipped on ice walking to the park where I like to run, and still ran 3 miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter