marathon training thread for 10/17-10/24

A golf cart?

A golf cart !!!!!!

Somehow- that just doesn't fit the image I had of the sweeper!!! I can OUT RUN a golf cart!

HA- I laugh in the face of the golf cart! :p

We need a side by side comparison picture of the street sweeper and the golf cart.

Jakcie- how fast did you have to walk the 10K to not be picked up?

The "listed" time was a 14 min mile!!!!! Faster than the 1/2 marathon. But this race ended outside a park, so the sweeper just followed along behind the stragglers and let them complete the race.....as we have heard they will let you do once you make it into the Magic Kingdom for the 1/2.

OK......gotta go to work :(

Sorry I haven't been so active on here, my life is crazy.

I have been going to the gym steadily. Last night I was on the treadmill, and I actually ran for about 3 of the 25 minutes. That may not sound like much, but from my standpoint, it's great.

I have no doubt that I have the endurance to walk 13 miles, but the time element is still scaring me. I'm hoping to partially jog it as time goes on.

I am doing a lot of weight training, too, so that the muscles are working for this. I just wish I could get rid of the excess thigh skin - the jiggling hurts somewhat. I'll have to wear very tight exercise pants for the race.

Happy Tuesday everyone ! Started our moving yesterday, the official day with the movers is Thurs, and my 1/2 marathon is on Sunday. NancyK and I made a decision over the weekend ... no Curves for either of us this week. We've both managed to twist knees/necks etc while working out there, and we don't want to add anything like that our 1/2 marathon. So, I've committed to getting out a few times this week, I figure ranging from 3-6 miles. I've done several longer walks in the past few weeks, so I don't think I'll have any problem completing the race. And since there's no dreaded sweeper truck, or golf cart :rotfl: it's all good ... I WILL finish this race, barring any unforeseen major injury :(

I'll be away from the boards for the next week or so, unless I somehow miraculously get my new internet set up with no problems :crazy:

Hugs to you all, and wishing you a successful training week. We've all come a very long way on this training journey, and less than 12 weeks from now, we'll all be sporting shiny Donald medals!

Mary-Liz

I'm going to say this with caps on so brace yourself.

NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE WILL GET SWEPT IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT....IF NEED BE WE WILL ALL LINK ARMS AND CROSS THE FINISH LINE UNDER THE 3 1/2 HOUR TIME FRAME TOGETHER. I WILL SEE TO IT MYSELF PERSONALLY!!!!!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY OBJECTIONS LET ME KNOW, I'M A TOUGH COOKIE AND CAN HANDLE ANYTHING. I HAVE 10 MONTH OLD SON WHO LIKES TO SHOUT, YELL ,CLIMB, AND WALK ALL OVER ME...SO MY SKIN IS TOUGH AND IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE PROBLEMS I'LL JUST TURN YOU OVER TO HIM ;)

Okay so now that I'm over that, How's everyone doing today?

Me I'm very sore, but I like the abuse of walking and running. Today after class I will walk the base perimeter again. My goal is to shave off 5-10 minutes off of my time from yesterday.

Kim

Kim, I'm so glad that you've joined our training thread! I love the way you think ... and if you think your son can abuse you now, wait 'til he's 4 ;)

Mary-Liz

Kim, Karen and everyone, I agree! We will get to the end and no Golf Cart/Zambone/Sweeper/Langolier will stop us.

We will keep working at this until the end and by then we will make it for sure.

The ide of those tight exercise pants will make the difference in the chaffing for sure. I have been using them and it makes a difference. If you don't have any, then use tights/nylons or whatever you can find.

I am going to the gym today with DH to do a circuit, jog a bit and swim. I am a bit sore from doing that on Sunday so I didn't do anything yesterday except try to stay warm. It was soooo cold in our office yesterday I was not able to thaw until almost time for bed.

I am a bit stressed here at work and look forward to the gym. I am desparate for relief and where better than on that circle.

Oh and who was it that asked about the graphic for our shirts? I don't think the one we have in our siggies will work for me as I tried to "blow it up" and it is way to grainy when I do that. Will need to work on something else. Also I need to order my lime green shirt soon.

Originally posted by Kimickey

NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE WILL GET SWEPT IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT....IF NEED BE WE WILL ALL LINK ARMS AND CROSS THE FINISH LINE UNDER THE 3 1/2 HOUR TIME FRAME TOGETHER. I WILL SEE TO IT MYSELF PERSONALLY!!!!!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY OBJECTIONS LET ME KNOW, I'M A TOUGH COOKIE AND CAN HANDLE ANYTHING. I HAVE 10 MONTH OLD SON WHO LIKES TO SHOUT, YELL ,CLIMB, AND WALK ALL OVER ME...SO MY SKIN IS TOUGH AND IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE PROBLEMS I'LL JUST TURN YOU OVER TO HIM ;)

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I do believe I will be getting past that finish line one way or another!

Nothing better then the military to whip us into shape! YES!

THANK YOU KIMICKEY!!!!

and if you think your son can abuse you now, wait 'til he's 4

or a teenager. [sigh]

A golf cart?! Yep, we can outrun a golf cart. We're on our way, ladies!
::yes::

I meant what I said earlier. There is strength in numbers and all of us together can do it. Yes it will hurt, yes it's going to be tough. But look at it like this, we are doing this marathon in a place that all of us love and get really excited about. So we are going to be pumped January 9th.

I just came back in from my walk/run. 4.5 miles in an hour and I stopped twice to fix my mini Ipod. OMG IT HURTS The entire time im running/walking I'm praying, God get me through this. If it hurts like this now, how is it going to feel in January? But then I start to think, I've never run distance I've always run short and in speed. And I'm going to be honest with you, it hurts more to walk fast than it does to run.

Originally posted by Kimickey
And I'm going to be honest with you, it hurts more to walk fast than it does to run.
I agree there. Also,no matter what it is I do, I still cannot walk faster than a 15/16 min mile. I even went to Racewalk.com to try to get a few pointers. Nope, I just can't get the style and speed. BUT! I can do that 15/16 min/mile and a bit of a Wog (walk/jog) in there for a rest from the fast walking. I know I can do the time and distance that way.
::yes::
So far, the longest I have walked/wogged is 8 miles. I haven't been able to increase my distance just yet and I don't do that distance very often. :o
Today I went to the gym for 2 miles around the disgustingly small track and I completed a machine circuit. I miss being out in it. I don't know how I will survive when it snows. I don't see me out in it in the snow. We'll see.
Team Canada, I use you for inspiration. It seems that you are out in it, so I try too.

Kimickey, Kim You are a breath of fresh air! Thanks for your inspiration. Don't over push yourself as you increase your speed/distance. Take it slow and steady. We don't want you injured.

I did my training today. Woo hoo! I also tried a new experiment. I was reading in Marathoning for Mortals, and John
pinguin2.gif
Bingham says people make the mistake of trying to do too high an intensity workout for too long a duration. New athletes make the mistake of not spending enough time at a lower intensity.

He continues on to say that the endurance element of training (60-75% of your max heart rate) will train your legs. All you want to do is repeat the muscle action a few hundred times per mile. When done correctly, these sessions should leave you feeling relaxed and ready to go.

(pause: :rotfl: at me feeling relaxed! )

Anyway, I strapped my heart rate monitor on and took off. Low and behold, I was working WAY over even 75% my max heart rate!!!
bluesurprised.gif
I slowed things down and did feel relaxed when I finished. Maybe all of these trainers are right. We need to be focusing on endurance right now and not speed. The
pinguin2.gif
says we are training our bodies how to use the thousands of calories of stored fat that we have. Hmmm :scratchin .... using fat? I *like* that idea! :love:

What does everyone think?

Karen - I was at Target today. I found the Snickers Marathon bars in the exact spot you said! Too funny considering we have half the country between us. There were 2 varieties though. Which one did you get?

Kim! You rock, Girl!!! I will gladly link arms with you anyday! Hey, I figure if we have to, we are strong enough to tip over any golf cart.
sprite10.gif
No one is getting swept here!
smilie_hexe1.gif

TLily - I love the WOG! I hope someday to be able to go fast enough to WOG. Can I borrow that?

MaryLiz - good luck with your move! I will be thinking of you!! First things first... GET THAT COMPUTER HOOKED UP!
user.gif
Well, after the beds are set up.

Beckie? I hope I didn't scare you off with the 'f' word comment. While I may hate winter, my kids are looking forward to actually having the chance of snow .
snow1.gif

MeMe - no
plane5.gif
here. The rates have been really high from STL. I can't even get into Tampa for under $200 so we are playing the waiting game.

Tomorrow -- crosstraining! (is anyone else doing cross training?!?)

Tomorrow -- crosstraining! (is anyone else doing cross training?!?)

I count my Curves....which I did today.....as my cross-training. Strengthening my muscles is important. And I really worked it tonight. But, I was conscious of my heart rate, too. I used to be disappointed if it was at 70%, but now I know 70-80% is just right. The things we've learned! WE could write a book. lol

Love the WOG, and that's my plan for tomorrow. A bit of a WOG. Thursday is our Fall Walkathon at school, so I should do okay with that.

I've heard of a pedometer, but the Heart Monitor? Where did you get it, and how much $$$?

Hey all! Yet another post to let you all know that life got in the way of my goals again this week.

Perhaps the marathon wasn't a good idea for this year, with student teaching. Perhaps I just need to buck up and take care of business... Perhaps.... Ugh...

Anyway, I had to drive all over St. Paul today to get campaign posters for Bush and Kerry for in my classroom (teaching about the election and campaigns). I didn't get home until later than i usually start working out and was so tired! I really need to get motivated. UGH!

I love imagining the golf cart! (Even though the other idea did make me laugh a little.)

Kimickey- You are AWESOME! Don't push yourself too hard, though. Let your body get used to it, you will do just fine! Thanks for offering to link arms. That reminds me of the story about Special Olympics and the race where the boy tripped. It makes me cry when I hear it! What wonderful role models those children are!

Geetey - where do you get all of your different images for your posts? The penguin is so cute! I am so bad at keeping my heart rate low... I love to feel like i'm "workin' it!"

Lily - WOGGING! HEHEHE! Have you ever noticed that sometiems you Wog faster than you Jog? I do. Hmph. I look so silly doing it, too. I'm not very tall, so I do look very Penguinish. About the logo, I'll get bored one of these nights and make one up if that one doesnt' work very well. Where do we buy iron on transfers? How do we do it?

Mary-Liz - What an ambitious week! You are a part of Team Canada, right? I got a little confused. But anyway, if you are... TEAM CANADA ROCKS! I know you'll do well this weekend. And besides, I'm not that far from Canada, and according to DBF I am likely to be much closer in the near future! (He wants to move to the great northwest... ALASKA! How can he do that to me?

Baileymouse - I need to do some weight training. What kind of circuit do you do?

ibounce - was the 10K fun? Scary? Do they play music while we run around The World? Did you wear head phones? I'm very concerned about being able to run without music.

Karen - How about a no sweepers sign on our shirts? I think that oculd be fun. Or: WISHWalkers bans sweepers on these premises. Sorry, those banned-gun signs are starting to irritate me. They are so ugly and make me feel like we live in such an ugly world! Your time-shaving plan is really quite elaborate! Keep it up!

I'm about ready to put my phone number on this thread, and then people can call me at all hours of the day to nag me into training. I bet 12 phone calls a day could get my buns to the gym! Just wait... I'll be scouting out those with a few extra cell phone minutes in the near future!

Keep it up... You are all much better than I!

Ashley:wave2:

what an awesome week we are having -- what an awesome inpsiring group
family02.gif

ashley -- what grade are you student teaching? focus focus........you can do this.........we are right here with you:hug:

terry -- i'm so glad that you checked your intensity and realized you don't have to kill yourself for results! isn't that a break-through! take care of yourself......i'm hoping my bod has it all figured out by now and just burns that fat, no need to store it anymore!

lily - WOG? WOG! love it:laughing: your speed will come, i keep thinking after I get back to my goal weight that will improve my speed too! i love your new siggie pic ::yes:: i actually enjoy getting out and wogging in the brisk cold ohio winter air. we should be ok through december - only light snows usually right. you may get more than I do being near the lake, well ok i'm sure you get more than i do, duh! it's hard to get out of a warm bed and head out into the elements; but once i'm going i love it, especially once the neighborhood starts decorating for the holidays and lights are on

kim -- i'm so glad you are joining our threads! the mother in me just has to echo to please pace yourself to avoid injury! i pushed my training too fast one year and i have tendonitis in my foot now -- and forever! do you have a marathong training schedule? i have the marathon for mortals 14 week schedule typed on an excel spreadsheet - PM me if you want me to email it to you, or anyone else for that matter! this week the endurance run/walk/wog is only 4 miles - FYI. looking at that cutey patootey in your siggie you can sic him on me anytime:love:

maryliz -- PD for your move and event this weekend! woo hoo! can't wait to hear all about it

karen -- glad you found some CDs you liked -- post your reviews after you try them, ok?

baileymouse -- glad to see you! remember your adrenalin will carry you some too -- i'm training as powerwalking mostly but i plan on jogging on race day as much as i can just to get there!

i love that our group is growing! makes it harder to keep up but i love it! here's a thought for everyone -- Turkey Trot. Check locally and see if you have the opportunity to participate in one.

Did everyone see that AP rates are out???

They were just released this morning. So- if you're looking to change your present rate to an AP rate- or haven't reserved yet.... call! Maybe you can snag a good rate?

that I spotted a computer to check-in on before I went through the cafeteria line - I think I would have had PIZZA - but now I am pumped on all your good work and comments - I am having salad ::yes::

For those of you still needing airfare - did you know supposedly the cheapest day of the week is Wed? Karen I will PM you with the site I have been doing well getting "best-priced" tickets lately. (can't put the site on the board, that is a no-no)

Kimickey - you are a breathe of fresh air - but listen to your bod and don't overdo (Like daughter, like mom - I am ohMom's mom - in case you didn't know :teeth: )

And, I am so glad that the sweeper is a measly little golf cart - Karen you are right - you can outrun it!!!!!! So no more energy wasted on those "swept-up" thoughts - right!

Gotta go - a salad is calling me!

Grammy- thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I ahve not been able to walk all week due to my SI joint being out (hip problem) Today it is feeling better- so hopefully by Friday (or maybe tomorrow) I'll be walking my miles again!

Ashley- YOU CAN DO THIS GIRL! You're busy- but you'll get there- and you'll BE there too!

Ya know- I was just going over the people in our group- you know who we haven't heard from in a while ???? CherylnWI- I think we need to send a PM mass mailing out- what do you think?>???

THEY MADE ME DO IT!!!!

Who made me do it? The Air Force did!

Today was supposed to me my rest day. But no today our training section made it mandatory for all people who are in TDY (travel) status to the school has to participate in mandatory squadron physical training (PT). Stretches, Cardio and then more stretches. To top it all off it's 90 degrees here in Biloxi, Mississippi. Do they not understand that today was my rest day because my one shin is hurting me. Oh and tomorrow we get to do more PT in 90 degree weather. My intentions were not to sweat at all, but uncle sam had other plans I'm :Pinkbounc :hyper: for joy. I cannot wait :rolleyes: I'm telling my mommy!!!!

How is everyone doing today?

Kim- I guess you haven't been posting long enough to realize that you DID just tell your MOMMY!!!! You should know that there are many mommies on this thread and we don't put up with nothing when it comes to pushing our family around!

Where are they? I can take 'em!!! My dad was ex-CIA---- he taught me how to deal with these kind of people! Let me at 'em!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter