marathon training thread for 10/17-10/24

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by karebear1, Oct 17, 2004.

1. karebear1

karebear1 <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

Well- I did not get my 7 miles in today. But I did get 3 done. My hip is out- so I'll have to go to the chiroprcator tomorrw and have him adjust me and see if i can get that 7 miles done tomorrow.

Ibouncetoo- I WANT YOU TO TELL ME ALL ABOUT THOSE SWEEPERS PLEASE! I looked on the website at the finishing times for the half marathon, and the last person that was recorded came in at a 17:10 mile average. If they don't record anyone or allow anyone to finish after that time, I'm DEAD MEAT! I cannot seem to get my time down. I know I'll be able to go the distance, I just don't know about the time. So- now I'm scared! So- what did they do???? Were the brooms big? I kind of invision this big zambonie kind of machine!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ohMom

ohMom Kids Get Arthritis Too! Moderator

good morning Karen and all my marathon training friends:grouphug:

Karen -- do you have the MFM book? in his program he has thursday's walk to end with stride drills, and I believe incorporating those are to improve your pace and time? I think maybe that's helping me actually. Also, sat I drank a protein shake about 15 mins before I left (I would've preferred more like a 1/2 hour but it was a sat morning) and I do believe that gave me a boost too rather than leaving without eating anything. Do you walk with a CD player? I have a Walking with the Classics CD I listen to that's set at a 4.5 mph beat -- PM me for more info you or anyone else interested

today I'm up and getting ready to eat a small brekkie so I can do my 30 min walk about 9 a.m. this morning after DD is off to school

BTW -- Barry and I hit it off:love2: He's certainly in a class all to himself, but he put on a great show. Funny how I was at a Barry Manilow concert and the same night my mother was at a Third Day concert :rotfl: My DH noticed we were among the youngest at our event:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I didn't count points 100% this weekend, but I'm feeling pretty good about my resistence of the temptations. I took DD shopping yesterday and I did split a absolutely sinfully heavenly carmel apple at Rocky Mt. Choc. factory with her, but OMGosh sooooo good. It was my rest day right? But today back to healthy athletic choices ONLY - and sugar detox until Friday for sure.

**edited at 10 a.m. - got my 35 min powerwalk in with warm-up/cool-down my pedometer said 3.3 miles, though that seems too far and i'm not real sure how accurate it is anyhow

4. maryliz

maryliz <font color=990099>The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Blo

Oh Molli ... Barry Manilow was my favourite hunk when I was growing up. I still love all of his old music. Glad you had a great time :)

Well, my training was awful last week ... and that would be due to the lack of it :rolleyes: I should have gone and done about 5 miles yesterday, but the wind was horrendous, and I still had so much to do to get ready for our move. I'm a little worried about the Niagara 1/2 marathon this coming sunday. I'm not sure I'll be ready for it because this week is going to be :crazy: Although I did know that when I signed up. Maybe working off all that stress from the week is what will get me to the finish line. I guess the bottom line is that I MUST make some time for myself to do some training. OK, there I've said it, now I just need to DO it! I'll be off the boards after tomorrow, so I'll have to rely on my sisters to hassle me about my training ... did you hear that, Debbie, Nancy and Susan ????

Hope everyone has a great training week!

Mary-Liz

5. Kimickey

Kimickey <font color=blue>Excellence Doesn't Just Happen It

I'll get in about 5 miles today running. If I have time I will walk the perimeter of the Air Force base I'm on. I'm trying to get this thing called endurance going.

6. karebear1

Kimmickey! Welcome to the thread. I was hoping you'd stop by. So- are you in the military or DH? And please, tell us how far around the base is. Have you ever done a half marathon before?

7. Tiger Lily 03

Tiger Lily 03 Moderator W.I.S.H. Moderator

Good Monday everyone!

Karen, you don't give up! Keep trying. You still have time. Keep nibbling at it. Please.
    Your vision of the Zambone is different than mine. I envision the Langoliers from the Stephen King novel. At least your vision is more friendly than my vision.

Molli! I am so glad you had a great time at the concert. That sharing of the apple with your DD is cute. You got some and let go of the rest. You are doing it!

maryliz, keep progressing as best as you can. Don't injure yourself trying to do more than you are able. I am thinking of you and "Team Canada" doing the 1/2 this weekend. Hope to hear that you all made it over the line, even if it was not totally in time. You have a bit to get your time down.

Kimickey, Great to hear of another WISHer being there in January. I am looking forward to hearing more of your progress. Endurance will happen as you continue on the path. Keep at it.

I am frozen solid here. It is raining and I am not sure what I will accomplish today other than crawling under my blanket to get warm. It was 58 and lower in our office rooms today and took all day to climb to 68 as I get ready to leave. My fingers are still stiff from being so cold.

8. karebear1

I'm not giving up yet!

9. geetey

geetey <font color=deeppink>Queen of the Smilies<br><font

Happy Monday, WISHers!!

Karen, I have the same concerns about the time of the marathon. I am sure I can finish the 13 miles -- just not sure I can get my pace fast enough. :confused3

Molli, do you think the MFM drills are helping? I have only done them once, but they seem to be the only element in training addressing speed versus endurance.

For those that don't have the book... on the Walk Form days (those are Tuesdays for me), after completing your walking and your cool-down, you complete the following drill...

"perform 4 stride drills by gradually increasing your walking pace for 30 seconds until fast but controlled pace is reached, focusing on form and quick footstrike. Follow with 1 minute of easy walking. Repeat 4 times."

Molli, I would love some additional info about your walking cd. I have tried to create my own walking cd, but I can't get the beat fast enough. :rolleyes1

I am happy to report that my recovery time is shorter this week! Woo hoo!! I feel so good, I am tempted to do a WATP or Windsor Pilates tape! :earseek:

Here's to a great week!!! :hyper:

10. ohMom

ohMom Kids Get Arthritis Too! Moderator

here is a link to amazon and the CD i have for those who wanted more info http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=lpr_g_1/103-3030554-1132658?v=glance&s=books

terry -- i think stride drills do help but the results will be gradual and maybe hard to see at first. I have done them a couple times when I started the schedule in sept and then took a break; and now i'm on week 3 of the schedule. since my first two walking days are only 30 mins right now; I try to focus on my speed and form alot too. for me I guess my logic was time spent focusing on my form and speed will eventually lead to a better form naturally without thinking about it. oh yea and maybe the power of positive thinking too?? :)

11. AlreadyexcitedGrammy

AlreadyexcitedGrammy <font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=

Just where does the time go? I have been keeping up on the tmilling and Curves and walking outside - but no time to post. I just read last week's thread and I wanted to mention that I do think we should be trying out different options of things to eat on long walks, so that a routine can be started and see just how you do with eating different things (my dh realy likes 1/2 eng muffin with honey on his long days). I walked 7 miles Sunday in 1:38 and I was pleased. I only had one peppermint but I could tell that I did better right after I had it - now I don't really practice what I preach but I am going to work on that, too! Somehow I am in the notion that I just get up, go tmill and I don't really like to eat anything before I get started, but on these long walks, I can tell that I need something.

Lately, my "butt" bone and hamstring are just hurting - Today the weather is miserable and my knee has joined in too, so I skipped Curves and I really hope that I can get my 5 mi in tomorrow morning.

It's been awhile since I said that I received a message from Beachbum last year after the race (never see her here anymore) and she said that once you make it into MK (I think I remember it was mile 9) they will NOT sweep you. She said that that they tried to sweep her friend but her friend just kept running away from them and never did get swept :p I hope that the sweeping jitters is just that - and that you will be able to relax and go with the flow - just take it in small steady increases now and I bet you will be just fine come race time. Karen - what is your trainer saying? You are doing so well.

and whoever said their body needs to prepare for winter - I felt like that today so it was pasta tonight for us ::yes:: BUt I did resist a 3 lb box of chocolates that sat within 3 feet of me all day today - so that was a nice trade off and I see it's 7:02 so I am done eating for today too!

Susan as you drive down I-75 and pass I-70 (major crossroads) I am about 5 miles south and the exit is Neff Rd. get off and follow that street about a mile and there is my house. I will definately see you wave :wave2: Have a safe trip!

Gotta run - still things to get done around here.

Keep up the good work everyone - WE CAN DO THIS ::yes::

12. geetey

geetey <font color=deeppink>Queen of the Smilies<br><font

:eek: :crazy2: :scared1: :sad1: :scared:

I am LOLing about the friend running away from the sweeper but I definitely *need* a visual of the SWEEPER MOBILE! Anyone know? I have a mental image of a street sweeper with those big brushes in front like this... [​IMG] coming to get me!! :scared:

Bebr, you are doing SO great!! I will have to check out some goodies to carry with me on a long walk to see if they help. I hope your aches disappear soon. I am so impressed with your determination. What a great group we have here! :bounce: :bounce:

13. Kimickey

Kimickey <font color=blue>Excellence Doesn't Just Happen It

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm in the Air Force. I'm stationed @ Andrews AFB in Maryland, but I'm currently @ Keesler AFB in Mississippi until 18 November (I've been here since 26 Sept) for training. Oh, and DH used to be in the military, he got out six years ago. James is now enjoying civilian life working two blocks from the White House.

Okay I'm really sore, I did a power walk around the perimeter of the base today which is 5 miles, then I ran for another 2 miles for a total of 7 miles logged today. I clocked it around an hour and a half give or take a few minutes. My body aches as for I have not done endurance training in a while. The best part about this workout was the shower. I use Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Eucalyptus Spearmint (Relax) Body Wash and lotion afterwards and boy does it put your mind and body at ease. Some may not like the mess of this stuff, but boy it's a nice scent to me and helps me to relax after a hard workout or a hard day's work.

Enough about me...How is everyone doing today?

14. Debbie

Debbie DIScovering DIS magic-missing my colours

We need to print that EXTRA big! power of positive thinking too'cause that's what is going to get us through. We are POSITIVE that we are GOING to FINISH the Disney ½ Marathon!!!

Terry, I love your pic of the ST. Here is what I asked WDW when I emailed them about the thing....

So, I think that we are on the same wavelength! :teeth:

Welcome, kimickey! It's nice to have you here.

Lily, I think that they were trying to turn on the heat today. It was pretty cold all day, though.

Bev, you had a great time for 7 miles! Do you use the ibuprofen when you are walking? I've had to...but yesterday, I didn't! Yeah!

I think that I have the Monday
    blues. I've been soooooo tired. And cold. And with all the work after school, I wasn't able to get to Curves before I picked up the girls from Vocal lessons. And then schoolwork after dinner. And now Everybody Loves Raymond. (which I do, and I won't miss it! ;) ) I'd say chocolate is in the cards, but I am going to use the I must resist mantra.

No one is going to give up. We are ALL going to be there at the end....with our Donald medals.

Remember: Slow and steady wins the race. . . and the Donald medal!

15. karebear1

Doesn't it seem like just last week we were complaining that is was too hot and humid to train????

16. Susan--Ontario

Susan--Ontario DIS Veteran

Great picture Terry!!!!!!!

I laughed out loud and was worried I'd woke up my daughter. Now everytime I scroll back to it I start laughing again. I can just see it talking to us; "I'm coming to take you away, ha ha ha.":crazy:

I now have tears rolling down my face because I can imagine what the driver is thinking as he gets closer and closer to us and we have that saying on our shirt:

I don't want to be swept. Honk and we'll go faster.............

I didn't do any training today as it's my rest day and my foot is a bit sore. I think I had the horse tape on too tight today also. I'm off to bed now to dream about that big truck chasing me up the Contemporary Hill.

Nite All!!

17. decaff38

decaff38 1/2 in the World - 1/9/05!!

Well, I finally got my motivation back. Today was a good day of work. I finished 5 different nagging projects. It feels good to get things done. I then went tothe club and worked out for 60 minutes. 30 minutes on the curcuit and 30 on the oliptical. Thought I would drop the last 5 minutes. I helped a lady on the oliptical. She had it all the way up and had not done anything for 2 weeks. Not good. If felt so good to get done. Came home and put on my sweats . So comfy!!

Ohmom_ I went to a Backstreets Boys concert with my 11 year old ( 3 years ago)
    I was not the oldest person there but definately in the top 50 . Had a great time though.

Karebear: Hang in there!! everything will work out great. Just keep plodding along. See you at the castle!!

Kimickey: Glad you joined us! You are already ahead of quite a few of us. We are hoping to be in shape by then. You'll do great!!!

Have a great Tuesday. My long run day.

18. wiskband

wiskband I can't wait till tomorrow....why? because I get b

Hi everyone! It has been a while for me.
    I have been bad but fortunatley, i havent gained any weight!
    I am actually OK ( just OK) with my current weight. The problem is my countdown to the MARATHON I can;t believe it is coming so soon.........
    and boy, have I been procrastinating!
    Every time I get on this site I see how many days are left and realize, I haven't trained in so long..........
    SO I found this training program that Septbride posted and decided to use it as my training scedule......it mentions not to worry about time so much but now that I read this post, I am worried I too may not finish in the time allowed.
    What is the time per minute again?
    and seriously, how does the sweeping process work?
    what other stratgies all you all planning on using to help you finish?
    For instance walk so many minutes then jog?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

renee

19. Auntmeme

Auntmeme DIS Veteran

Hi all & welcome Bev:wave:

I walked only 2 miles yesterday:( this cold weather is doing me in, I also feel like hibernating:rolleyes: Ds is a bit under the weather so to take him out in his stroller isn't a great idea and dh gets home late & then dinner & then be time;) We must all pray for sunny weather :earseek: I say this as it is pouring and I'm scheduled to walk with friends in an hour, ds will be in pre-school but I might melt in the rain:p We'll see.

I love the pic of the sweeper - lol:teeth: I don't have a fear of being swept. I figure the enthusiasm of the crowd & location & all of us will keep each other going::yes:: I might have to jog a bit but I'll get that medal.

Has Ashley been around? is there a new list yet?

Anyone get airfare yet? what are everyone's fun (other than the walk;) ) activities?

Rain rain go away:umbrella:

20. karebear1

I was up all night dreaming of being swept up at the marathon!

Grammy- I'm just gonna have to use your friends tactic of running away from the thing when it approaches...... Can you get in touch with her? We need details about escape plans!

Susan- "They're coming to take me away haha heehee- HONK and we'll go faster" IS going on the back of my T-shirt. Those are GREAT tactics! Maybe if the slow ones in the group stick together we can give the sweeper flat tires and that'll give us some time! (Note to self...... add tacks to fanny pack list)

My trainer says not to worry about the time right now- just worry about endurance. She say towards the end we'll work a little on speed. (As far as I am concerned..... WE'RE AT THE END NOW!!!) She also said that the adrenaline will naturally get us moving faster anyway. Here's what I figure.... If I can lose 5 seconds a week off my BEST time, I'll be in the 16 minuite range. So- I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna get those 5 seconds a week off my time. But that means I have to pick up my normal time to my best time- so I actually have to knock off about 10 - 15 seconds off my time every week on a daily basis. That's not so bad if you look at it like that.

MOM- thanks for the info on the walking CD- I ordered 2 of them yesterday and am hoping that these will get me moving to a quicker beat!

SO- now I'm curious.....

What is everyone's best time so far and what is their average time?

My best time is 17:15 minute mile average (done at the 10K a few weeks ago) My average time is about 18:30.

Meme- I got my airfare about 3 weeks ago. I am constantly looking for deals from Oregon- and I found a GREAT fare! $234.00 pp, and that included taxes etc. The ticket itself was actually $189.00 ! I'm so excited about this fare because I see people from as close as Texas that aren't getting this kind of fare! We need to fly my mom from Pensecola Fl. to Orlando- and her fllight right now is averaging $190.00!

I have to do my 3 miles today. PROJECTED FINISH TIME is going to be 55:15..... Keep your fingers crossed for that average this week- and PLEASE send some pixie dust this way so it can happen!

21. ibouncetoo

ibouncetoo <font color=009999>I get excited by the little thi

Morning all.....I'm behind schedule so this will be fast:

THE SWEEPER TRUCK.........(for the 10K just done at WDW) ....was a golf cart! LOL.....inside the parks that is. After we were out of the parks and on the streets, it was a mini-van. Now this was for a 1500 participant race, so I don't know how different it will be for the 24,000 participant race.....probably just more golf carts at the ready.

Gotta hit the shower.......I'll do a check in tonight!